Thanks Mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Mom

For years I watched the local game telecast waiting for the Rams scores to flash on the screen. While I could have gone to my mom's house where we gather weekly to watch the Rams game, I elected to go with my girlfriend to defend our scotch doubles 8-ball championship by attending an annual tournament we won last year.

There were televisions there so I told one of the people who were in attendance that I would pay him one dollar each time he reported a change in the score. (Local TV’s were on ***** game). By half time I fired the messenger somehow justifying to myself that it was his fault the score was so lopsided.

Consider defending a billiards championship on a Sunday while playing against mostly 49er fans and the Rams getting blown out. Believe me when I say there is allot going on there besides pool and football. Anyone who plays pool knows that concentration is paramount and if you can break your opponent’s concentration then you probably are going to beat them. Fortunately I have studied the mental game and how to keep from being distracted so their efforts to whew my concentration were in vein. Just about the time we were finishing off our last opponent people started talking of a Rams comeback. So I say, “Yea right, forget it guys it isn’t going to work.” They replied “No really were not lying the Rams have just pulled within 3 points.” With these backwoods 49er fans telling me that the Rams had just pulled within 3 points I was forced into the ancient art of concentration. Yes chanting ommmmmmmmm, ommmmmmmm. We won the tournament (Undefeated I might add).
    I then went to the television and started watching the improbable comeback of the ***** over the Cardinals. When the Rams score flashed it said 27 - 27 OT. I let out a holler that could be heard by people walking around… outside… three or four blocks away. Did I apologize for not believing the fickle 49er fans? Nope! I missed a great comeback but looking back, I would do it the same way and defend my championship. There is something special about watching the faces of 49er fans fall off while your team comes from behind like the Rams did and taking home the local hardware to boot. So how does this equate to thanking mom? Well when I called my moms house she told me that at halftime she was telling one of my sons about the sage in 1999. This of course prompted my son to set some sage on fire and place it under the television. Now according to my son, in the future if there is no sage in the house and the Rams lose we have no one to blame but ourselves. Anyone want to tell him that sage is meaningless hocus pocus? Anyway thanks mom, Dad would be proud of you.

Re: Thanks Mom

Great story, RT. Interesting thing - we don't get a lot of sage in Nebraska, but I noticed some in Colorado while visiting my sister over summer and brought some back. I burned some before the season and burned more before the Seahawks game. That sage really works some wonders, huh?

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• OrlandoPaceIsMyHero
      My experience in Portland for the game...
      by OrlandoPaceIsMyHero
      Hi everyone... longtime reader who doesn't post much here mostly due to time constraints. I had a fun experience with the Rams-Hawks game last weekend even though I didn't get to watch the game at all.

I'm a freshman at Claremont McKenna College this year and a member of the football team (NCAA Division 3). Our team was playing Lewis and Clark college, which is near Portland, so we were spending sunday in portland. Alot of the people at my school (which is just outside of Los Angeles) are from the Seattle area, and naturally, alot of them are Hawks fans. Declaring myself a Rams fan early on, I took all kinds of heat from seahawks fans on the team about how great their team is, etc, etc. (and had to put up with their silly 4-0 record vs our 2-2...)

So we're in the Portland area for the game and all the seahawks fans on the team are calling their friends to check the score, talking trash, etc. The score was something like 24-7 at halftime (we didn't get that many updates as we had a practise of our own and were exploring a mall in portland which lacked a good sports bar to watch the game in), so most of them said a few final words of smack-talk and assumed that the game was over. Well, later that afternoon, I call my brother back in Los Angeles and ask him to tell me the score of the game from NFL.com, assuming that the Rams lost. He reads me 33-27 Rams, so I assumed that he must be referring to the wrong game, but finally, I realize he wasn't. Elated, I go back and proceed to rub the OT comeback victory in the face of all the stupid seahawks fans for the flight home and the previous couple days.

anyway, it was better in person than the story sounds I guess.

Go Rams!

OrlandoPaceIsMyHero
      -10-13-2004, 02:32 PM
    • MauiRam
      Daniel Fell's wife on ... NFL Wives
      by MauiRam
      NFL wives

Just down the winding street from our house is a charming little school called North Elementary that my family knows very, very well. It's home to the little playground with the grey "spinny thing" that Lennon has loved (to watch, not ride) since he has had an opinion. Home to a sprawling field where Danny and I used to take our sweet pup to run the furniture-chewing willies out of her. Next to a rustic, wooded nook where we had our engagement photos taken back in 2009 and about twenty years before that it was where I played kickball and four-square as a rambunctious fifth grader. North is where we meet 95% of Lennon's playdates and where he gets 99% of his knee scrapes. And when it's just me and him, we make sure to swing by Starbucks on our way there, even though it's not actually on our way. This morning was one of those days, he asked and I conceded. It was chilly out but it was just us, so we took full advantage.

When we got to the schoolyard we sat down on our favorite bench and Lennon ate a small slice of pumpkin bread before running off to join in a game of tag. As the heat of my latte warmed my fingers I was thankful that I'd won the morning jacket debate. The clouds in the distance had become the clouds overhead and the sun had been reduced to a bright spot in the corner of sky. A mom called out to her daughter, requesting a break from swing-pushing, and then walked towards me with her hands in her pockets and a smile on her face. She asked if the seat next to me was taken and then sat down.

We chatted a bit about the weather, about Lennon and then about her daughter. It was the usual Park-Mom conversation. How old is he? What school does she go to? Where do you guys live? We talked about the foreign concept of "TK," a new program called Transitional Kindergarten, and then somehow started talking about local high school ratings. Lennon ran over to me, yelled that he was "it" and threw his New York Giants ball cap on my lap. The woman looked down at the hat, raised an eyebrow, and then asked if we had ties to the East Coast. Before I knew it we were knee deep in football speak. She vented about her issues with the *****' offseason acquisitions, or lack thereof, and I told her a little about why Danny was excited to return to the Giants for another year. I asked her how she liked the new Santa Clara stadium and she asked me which city I've enjoyed the most on our journey. Before I could respond, she grinned eagerly and placed her hand on my shoulder. "Wait, what's being an NFL wife like?"

I smiled and shrugged. The answer that I have bookmarked in my brain for that oft-asked question rolled off of my tongue. I told her that there are proverbial ups and downs that come with being married to a professional athlete and that the chaotic lifestyle keeps me on my toes. That sometimes it's fun and exciting and other times it's a ball of...
      -07-17-2015, 12:28 AM
      A Tribute To The Greatest Ramfan Of All-time.
      by Guest
      This is from therams1 AKA Jerry. Known to us here at ClanRam as Bloodnhall. I found it on his site and thought I would share it with you. If you have never been to his web site then you have to do so. Trust me its a gem full of unprecedented work.

A TRIBUTE TO THE GREATEST RAMFAN OF ALL-TIME.
      MY FIRST MEETING WITH WALT

It was in September of 1966.

My Father bought season tickets to the Rams. I was six years old and couldn't wait to sit in My seat.

The LA Coliseum looked so big. I knew we had 4 seats and one was on the aisle. As I raced down those steep concrete stairs looking for number 22 because if I sit in that aisle seat it's mine.

I found our row sat in that aisle seat that would be mine for the next 13 years.

Looking at that football field and the Rams warming up was awesome. As I look to my right, this black man who has the aisle seat right across from me is smiling at me.

I get embarrassed and look away. He says to me "You know that seat right there is the best one out of them all, you sure are a lucky guy".

As my Father gets up and they shake hands introducing themselves. He says "my name is Walt Jackson".

I shake his hands and this is the beginning of 13 great years with Walt.

WALT WILL ALWAYS BE THE GREATEST RAMFAN
      Walt will always be the greatest Ramfan of all-time.

I thought it was my Father who was the greatest Ramfan.

Dan of Ramsworld thought it was his Dad, along with every Dad.

You see, they all came in first place, it was a dead heat with all our Fathers.

So did Walt and he paid more so Walt wins.

IT WAS WALT'S RAMS
      Walt had his seat since 1962.

Alway's sharp dressed and with that am radio in his shirt pocket with that white wire going to his ear listening to Dick Enberg.

In big games if the Rams turned the ball over I would automatically look to my right at Walt.

He would know I was looking at him but his eyes would never leave the field. But he would give me this head nod that said "don't worry about, our defense will hold them".

But what I loved was in big games when it was certain our Rams were going to win.

Walt would cross his legs, light up his chesterfield cigarette, lean back in his seat and look at HIS Rams with this proud smile on his face.

MAN I MISS THAT.

Walt's favorite player was Mr. Jones (as Walt would say)

HIS RAM KNOWLEDGE NEVER WILL BE EQUALLED
      There are alot of Ramfans I know that are top gun when it comes to Ram football.

But, you can put them all together with the internet
      -08-25-2004, 11:23 PM
    • RamWraith
      My Life: Challenges, Choices And Incredible Love
      by RamWraith
      MY LIFE: CHALLENGES, CHOICES AND INCREDIBLE LOVE

by ISAIAHKACYVENSKI

My story begins in the small, blue-collar town of Endicott, New York, nestled between the Susquehanna River and the Adirondack mountains near the Pennsylvania border. I was born in Syracuse and was the youngest of five children. My parents both experienced broken childhood lives in and out of orphanages, neither really having a positive figure in their life to emulate. For my entire adolescence my family lived well below the poverty line. With my mother staying at home with us kids and my father armed with just a high school education to support us, money was never around. Regardless of this lack of money, my mother created an environment for us kids that oozed with love. She protected us from the ugliness in life as much as she could, including the volatile mix of anger, abuse and alcoholism that had seized my father during me and my siblings formative years. It was my mother whose character, gentleness and love prepared me not only to reach for my dreams, but how to be me.

I remember fighting through winter nights with no heat, teeth chattering and blankets bundled. I knew I wasn’t alone though. I had my brothers and sisters. My mother would rock me to sleep and sing into my ear to comfort me. I remember times with no electricity and no television and huddling up to the battery-powered radio to listen to the Super Bowl. I remember my friends calling me on a pay phone because our telephone line was shut off for failure to pay the bills. I remember being forced to move for failing to pay rent. I remember living in a cramped tent for a whole summer. I remember living in that same tent for a frigid month in the fall. Sometimes I would wake up--cold and afraid--but all I had to do was to look over and see how strong my family was being and it comforted me. Food stamps couldn’t come fast enough as the cupboards were emptied by the end of each month. I remember the feeling of extreme embarrassment as the clerks at the store seemed to giggle as we flashed our food stamps as payment. I remember the points when food stamps weren’t enough, when we relied on church baskets. When we relied on the "defects" from grocery stores - food that they would throw into the dumpster in the back that was slightly defective.

By the time my parents divorced I was nine years old. It never really bothered me. I think even at that young age I realized that the weight of my father’s abusive alcoholic behavior towards my mother and us kids was too much to bear any longer. My mother took us to live with her in a cramped apartment that was suited for three people instead of six. We struggled, but we were loved. I remember walking three miles to school and back every day in second grade because I was afraid to change schools. I remember assisted lunches in schools and the funny looks my schoolmates would give me because my clothes remained grass-stained...
      -03-01-2007, 04:20 AM
    • thoey
      Jokes and Humor
      by thoey
      Figured I would start an on-going thread just for jokes and humor.

Chili Cook-off:

Recently I was honored to be selected as an Outstanding Famous Celebrity in my Community to be a judge at a chili cook-off because no one else wanted to do it. Also the original person called in sick at the last moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking directions to the beer wagon when the call came.

I was assured by the other two judges that the chili wouldn't be all that spicy, and besides they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted this as being one of those burdens you endure when you're an Internet writer and therefore known and adored by all.

Here are the scorecards from the event:

Chili # 1: Mike's Maniac Mobster Monster Chili

JUDGE ONE: A little too heavy on tomato. Amusing kick.
      JUDGE TWO: Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.
      CAMERON: Holy smokes, what is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway with it. Took me two beers to put the flames out. Hope that's the worst one. These people are crazy.

Chili # 2: Arthur's Afterburner Chili

JUDGE ONE: Smoky (barbecue?) with a hint of pork. Slight Jalapeno tang.
      JUDGE TWO: Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.
      CAMERON: Keep this out of reach of children! I'm not sure what I am supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. Shoved my way to the front of the beer line. The barmaid looks like a professional wrestler after a bad night. She was so irritated over my gagging sounds that the snake tattoo under her eye started to twitch. She has arms like Popeye and a face like Winston Churchill. I will NOT pick a fight with her.

Chili # 3: Fred's Famous Burn Down the Barn Chili

JUDGE ONE: Excellent firehouse chili! Great kick. Needs more beans.
      JUDGE TWO: A beanless chili, a bit salty, good use of red peppers.
      CAMERON: This has got to be a joke. Call the EPA, I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been sneezing Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now and got out of my way so I could make it to the beer wagon. Barmaid pounded me on the back; now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. She said her friends call her "Sally." Probably behind her back they call her "Forklift."

Chili # 4: Bubba's Black Magic

JUDGE ONE: Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.
      JUDGE TWO: A hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a chili.
      CAMERON: I felt something scraping across my tongue but was unable to taste it. Sally was standing behind me with fresh refills so I...
      -09-05-2007, 11:52 AM
    Working...
    X