What I've learned after 1,000 posts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I've learned after 1,000 posts.

On this, my 1,000th post here, I will list a few things I've learned (in no particular order):

1. Mike Martz knows a lot more about football than all of us combined.

2. Barry Waller, Bernie Miklasz, Jim Thomas, and John Hadley do not.

3. Being a Ram fan isn't always easy, but its always fun.

4. Some fans make it all worth while.

5. Some just make me shake my head.

6. Some need to let go.

7. We are lucky to have Marc Bulger on this team.

8. We are even luckier to have the opportunity to see Isaac Bruce, Marshall Faulk and Aeneas Williams play.

9. No season will likely ever be quite as satisfying as 1999-2000.

10. I nonetheless still hope that 1999-2000 will one day be topped.

11. This board - and I've posted on several - is the greatest collection of Ram fans on the web, bar none (and I really mean that, I'm not just sucking up).

12. Every now and again I wonder... why do I bother? Why do I devote time and emotional energy to a pursuit that, in the end, does not matter one iota? Why do I care what a bunch of over-paid kids (and yes, other than Sean Landetta, every Ram is younger than I am) do? Why do I get such a charge out of a win? Why do I allow myself to get bummed after a loss? And after more than a quarter-century of following the team and 1,000 posts on this board, my only answer is this: Sometimes, a little escapism is necessary in life. And given that this is the case, why not escape to something that, though not truly important, has tradition, reminds us of the glory days on the playing fields of our youth, and can bind a group of strangers from all over the globe as friends? In the end, I'd say that's not such a bad thing to spend a little of our time on.

Here's to the next 1,000 posts!

Re: What I've learned after 1,000 posts.

Let me say congratulations on your 1000th post! and...

there must be some sort if reward for reaching this milestone in record fashion! CONGRATS!!

Comment

Congrats Av!! I know you are one big Ram fan and we sometimes don't see eye to eye but, for what it's worth it wouldn't be the same without you! ..................I have to get your blood pressure up every once in awhile!!!.....lol.........Hey do you have the women's Phone #'s? I need to get a little more knowledge! Just kidding once again!........Our high school needs a few coaching changes!

Comment

One question for everyone here. Was it more painful for Av to type all of these post or ,was it more painful for those of us who had to read them??.......................lol "gotcha" Good job and like RamWraith posted earlier here's to your next 1000!

Comment

Congrats Mr. AV.....Your input as many others here is what makes this a great place to come and play and learn and even sometimes just sit back and look at the screen and think, DAYUM, it's a good thing I can't reach thru this contraption and strangle some posters!!! LOL But it's all good, I enjoy the different personalities and debates, wouldn't want it any other way!!!

Congratulations again AV, keep up the good work!!!

Comment

Congrats on the 1,000th post Avenger. You really help make this board an incredibly special place. I agree with the characterization of "escapism."

Said another way, we all need outlets in our lives. At least our love of the rams is a somewhat healthy obsession.

ramming speed to you and your family,

general counsel

Comment

Excellent commentary. Keep up the good work, Avenger. Saaaluuuute! :helmet:

Comment

I got some questions for ya Av. I suspect and hope that maybe you've learned some deeper lessons. What have you learned about inter-personal relations? What have you learned about humility? What have you learned about dealing with and keeping up good relations with people? What have you learned about arguing points to the point of being offensive? Of knowing when to say when?

I don't ask this pointedly or taking a cheap shot at you. I ask this because as I interact with fans here on this board, I learn things too. Good things I think. And I'm not necessarily talking about football. And I have to agree with you, there are a great group of peeps here.

Comment

Thank you all for the kind words.

To answer your questions Coy...

Inter-personal relations are possible, though limited, on a message board.

Humility is often subtle, and often unnecessary.

Dealing with and keeping up good relations with people is a qualitative, rather than quantitative, endeavor.

Arguing to the point of being offensive is to be determined in the mind of the beholder.

And, finally...

Knowing when to say when... ask me after my 2,000th post!
                  Last edited by AvengerRam_old; -10-12-2004, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Congrats Avenger. May all your posts be as "enlightening" as the first 1,000. :tongue:

Comment

Avenger you are a master at posting. Congrats on the 1000.

I too wonder why I show up here on such a consistant basis, but it is a good escape and a comfort zone for me and there are many good people here. I am no where near 1000 posts and I am not putting in good numbers so it's gonna be a long time before I see 1000.
                      sigpic

Comment

Congrats on your impressive tenure here, David. The Clan has never been the same since we stole you from the Huddles board.

Your colorful personality and proactive attitude on this board is just one example of why this board is so addictive. I really appreciate and enjoy everything you do for this great ClanRam community.

Comment

I prefer to say that we never stole him, we enticed him into the Clan with chocolate.

Congratulations David now get working on that second 1000

__________________________________________________________
                          Keeping the Rams Nation Talking

Comment

Congratulations Avenger on 1000 posts I'm struggling to make 100

I always enjoy reading your posts

Comment

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm......chocolate.......:redface:

Comment