2005 Draft...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Draft...

I was looking at the 2005 draft and the Rams draft was actually ok talentwise.

Here was our selections

Alex Barron - false start king, but talent wise hes a solid performer.

Ronald Bartell - our starting corner. Took him a few years to establish himself, but hes solid now.

OJ - great pick. Our best defensive player over the years, a real steal.

Ritchie Incognito - he was a solid guard, but a hot head. His bad attitude really forced himself out in the end.

Jerome Carter - safety. Played time with Cowboys, now out of the league.

Claude Terrel - he was showing promise at guard. Then he was chucked out of the league. Hasnt been given another chance yet.

Jerome Collins - dont know what happened to him

Dante Ridgeway - same as above

Reggie Hodges - same as above

Ryan Fitzpatrick - 3rd string QB, didnt do bad when given a chance. Played well for Bills last year

Madison Hedgecock - how we let him go is beyond me. Pro Bowl standard FB with the Giants.

Just interesting to go back and look through the drafts. This was actually one of our better in the last decade, that why we've gone the way we have!

Re: 2005 Draft...

Originally posted by Bing69 View Post
    I was looking at the 2005 draft and the Rams draft was actually ok talentwise.

Madison Hedgecock - how we let him go is beyond me. Pro Bowl standard FB with the Giants.
    Loserhan needed another tight end and who needs a pro bowl fullback when you can bring in a quality 4th string tight end. ;)
    Aim high Willis, Aim High!

Comment

Besides OJ, that draft sucks. LOl.

Comment

Originally posted by BEER View Post
        Besides OJ, that draft sucks. LOl.
        Perhaps, but can you find a better Rams draft this decade.

Comment

Thats my point. Talent wise it was good, then add in character issues, mental problems etc. then it turns bad. Thats why we're in the position we are, cus this 'bad' draft was one of our better drafts

Comment

Alex Barron - false start king, but talent wise hes a solid performer.

Ritchie Incognito - he was a solid guard, but a hot head. His bad attitude really forced himself out in the end.
            With all due respect, I don't see how you can call these guys "solid." Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but when they weren't involved in their personal peccadilloes (i.e., false starts, personal fouls) they weren't really all that good. They were OK. Maybe.

Barron would flash the talent, like he did in Minnesota. But really, they were flashes and unless you do more than show you *could* do it, you're not really solid in my book.

Rams fans always overrated Incognito in my book because he played hard. But, compare him to Jacob Bell last year and you'll see the difference between solid (Bell) and ok (Incognito).

Comment

With all due respect, I don't see how you can call these guys "solid." Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but when they weren't involved in their personal peccadilloes (i.e., false starts, personal fouls) they weren't really all that good. They were OK. Maybe.

Barron would flash the talent, like he did in Minnesota. But really, they were flashes and unless you do more than show you *could* do it, you're not really solid in my book.

Rams fans always overrated Incognito in my book because he played hard. But, compare him to Jacob Bell last year and you'll see the difference between solid (Bell) and ok (Incognito).

------

I understand what your saying. I agree with it. But factor out the character issues, false starts, mental issues, and talent wise they would be solid players. Is Barron talented? Yes. Is Incognito talented? Yes. Could they both be starters in this league on talent alone? Yes. Its the mental side, ie. anger issues, and attitude, that makes these guys bad players.

We picked talented guys, but with issues. That is why we're in the position we are

Comment

I understand what your saying. I agree with it.
                Actually, I'm saying that if you take away all the character and discipline issues they weren't as good as people seem to think. Anyone who gets a look from the NFL is "talented"; but these guys are boarderline starters at best, which is not enough given where they were drafted.

Comment

I agree, aside from the character issues and etc.. These guys were pretty solid. Anywho, what was the reason we let Hedgecock go?

Comment

I agree, aside from the character issues and etc.. These guys were pretty solid. Anywho, what was the reason we let Hedgecock go?

--------------------

Two words...Scott Linehan

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamsSB99
                      Rate the 2005 Draft
                      by RamsSB99
                      2005 Draft

1. Alex Barron
                      (19), OT, Florida State

2. Ronald Bartell Jr
                      (50), CB, Howard

3. Oshiomogho "O.J." Atogwe
                      (66), S, Stanford

3. Richie Incognito
                      (81), C/G, Nebraska

4. Jerome Carter
                      (117), SS, Florida State

4. Claude Terrell
                      (134), G New Mexico

5. Jerome Collins
                      (144) TE, Notre Dame

6. Dante Ridgeway
                      (192), WR, Ball State

6. Reggie Hodges
                      (210), P, Ball State

7. Ryan Fitzpatrick
                      (250), QB, Harvard

7. Madison Hedgecock
                      (251), FB, North Carolina
                      Excellent
                      41.38%
                      Good
                      48.28%
                      Average
                      10.34%
                      Below Average
                      0.00%
                      Horrible
                      0.00%
                      -04-21-2007, 04:33 PM
                    • RamsFan16
                      What player are you most excited for from the 2005 Draft Class?
                      by RamsFan16
                      Out of:

1 19 Alex Barron T Florida State
                      2 50 Ron Bartell CB Howard
                      3 66 Oshiomogho Atogwe FS Stanford
                      3 81 Richie Incognito G Nebraska
                      4 117 Jerome Carter SS Florida State
                      4 134 Claude Terrell G New Mexico
                      5 144 Jerome Collins TE Notre Dame
                      7 250 Ryan Fitzpatrick QB Harvard
                      7 251 Madison Hedgecock FB North Carolina

For me its no doubt Ron Bartell. He has something special. I can't wait to see him next season! Or Jerome Carter!
                      -04-02-2006, 11:44 PM
                    • AvengerRam_old
                      No Sophomore Jinx Here: 2005 Draft Looking Pretty Good!
                      by AvengerRam_old
                      While some try to evaluate a draft during the first preseason of the rookie class, it really takes two to three years to truly evaluate. With that in mind, the Rams' 2005 crop of rookies is starting to show signs of being one of the better groups in recent years:

Round 1: Alex Barron (Starting RT)
                      While Barron still makes errors, he has solidified the RT spot after it had been a revolving door for years. He will continue to improve, and will likely be Orlando Pace's successor at LT.

Round 2: Ron Bartell (Reserve DB/Special Teams)
                      Bartell has not found a clear position, swinging between CB and FS, but he has had some good moments on the field. He hasn't yet justified his draft position, but he probably hasn't reached his peak either.

Round 3: O.J. Atogwe (Starting FS)
                      Atogwe, after spending most of his rookie season on the bench, has emerged as a solid starter. He still needs to improve his positioning on zone coverages, but he has done a good job in run support and leads the Rams in takeaways. Projects as a long term starter.

Round 3: Richie Incognito (Starting OG/C)
                      Incognito, after sitting out 2005, earned the starting OG spot in preseason, and then moved to C when Andy McCollum was injured. While it is uncertain which will be his long term position, expect him to be a starter on the OL for years to come.

Round 4: Jerome Carter (Reserve DB/Special Teams)
                      Has made some contributions, including key interception. A good depth and role player, but likely not a future starter.

Round 4: Claude Terrell (Injured Reserve)
                      Showed reasonable promise as starting OG as a rookie, before weight and injury issues put him on the shelf. Probably will get another shot next year.

Round 5: Jerome Collins (No longer with team)
                      A project who didn't pan out.

Round 6: Dante Ridgeway (No longer with team)
                      Couldn't crack deep WR corps.

Round 6: Reggie Hodges (No longer with team)
                      A huge disappointment at punter.

Round 7: Ryan Fitzpatrick (3rd QB)
                      Showed some promise when thrown into action as a rookie. Could develop into solid number 2.

Round 7: Madison Hedgecock (Starting/Reserve FB)
                      After starting as a rookie, has alternated with Paul Smith this year. A good run blocker who needs to improve as a receiver.

So, all in all, the draft looks like this:

11 picks
                      8 players on team (including Terrell on IR)
                      4 starters (including Hedgecock)

Whlie perhaps not a spectacular draft in terms of future Pro Bowl players (Barron and Incognito probably the best bets there), a good draft in terms of building a team of young, solid, players.
                      -10-10-2006, 09:13 AM
                    • ardavandavari
                      WHat just hit me abt the 2005 draft
                      by ardavandavari
                      We did very well in the 2005 draft.. Barron, Bartell Atogwe, richi, hedgecock.. All solid picks... i dont understand how the same team drafted Lenard in the second round and byrd... Some explain that to me
                      -07-31-2009, 08:46 PM
                    • AvengerRam_old
                      2005 Irony: Worst Year/Best Draft?
                      by AvengerRam_old
                      In a strange irony, while the Rams are falling apart and having their worst year in a long time, they may have had their best draft in many seasons, which bodes well for the future.

O-Line of the Future: Alex Barron, despite a rash of penalties in recent weeks, has demontrated that he's the most talented RT the Rams have had in a decade (and yes, I include a healthy Kyle Turley in that comparison). With the experience he's gaining, and with a full training camp under his belt, he should be a real force next year. Claude Terrell also shows promise, and should only improve with his playing time increasing. The wild card is Richie Incognito. If he's half the player that the coaches claim he is, he'll be a fixture on the line for years. How often does a team obtain three long term starters for the O-line in one draft? That alone makes the 2005 rookie crop notable.

DBs-a-plenty: Ron Bartell looks to be the real deal. He's big, fast, and seems to be a gamer. I'm very glad he's getting experience this year. He'll be a starter next year. Jerome Carter shows promise as well. While he'll never be a Pro Bowl type, if surrounded by other quality DBs he's a guy who can make plays. O.J. Atogwe remains a mystery, but I'm not ready to declare him a bust quite yet.

Harvard!: Marc Bulger's shoulder is a real concern. Can Fitzpatrick be a quality #2... ready to fill in if Marc goes the way of Chad Pennington? Who knows. If he can, though, this will have been the best Ram draft in 20 years.

Hedgecock: Another second day choice who's made an impact on the team. Is he the long term answer at FB? We'll see.
                      -11-21-2005, 08:22 AM
                    Working...
                    X