• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glad To Hear This

Avery and Robinson are healthy, which is good news for Rams

By Jim Rodenbush

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Donnie Avery is healthy. Laurent Robinson is healthy. And while the 2010 season opener is more than three months away, this could be potentially great news for the St. Louis Rams offense.

Both wide receivers are at 100 percent entering the second week of organized team activities at Rams Park. For Avery, that meant bouncing back from a series of nagging injuries that plagued him throughout 2009. For Robinson, it meant a full recovery from a fractured leg and ankle sprain that ended his 2009 season after only three games.
    Together, the pair represent arguably the team’s best down-field receiving threats. In fact, they recorded the Rams’ two longest catches in ’09: Avery with a 50-yard reception against Indianapolis, and Robinson with a 45-yard grab in the season opener at Seattle.
    “We can both take it deep,” Avery said following practice Monday. “So, that’ll be a plus.”
    Though Avery played all 16 games last season, he was bothered by a laundry list of injuries. His most serious injury came in the preseason, when he suffered a stress fracture in his left foot. He returned in time for the season opener, but then experienced problems with his ribs, hamstring, hip and shoulder.

This offseason, Avery started a weight lifting program and changed his diet. As a result, he has added around 15 pounds of muscle and gotten rid of the nagging pain.
    “It’s about playing healthy,” he said. “Staying on the field, staying in the weight room, working with the trainer. Just staying healthy. Healthy is happy for me.
    “I feel a lot better now. I absolutely feel the difference.”
    Avery had 47 receptions for 589 yards and five touchdowns in 2009. Avery, who will be 26 next month, is entering his third NFL season and second under coach Steve Spagnuolo and offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur. He described himself as “more comfortable” because of his familiarity with the team’s offense.
    “It’s a different approach mentally,” he said. “You know what you’re going to get game day. You know what opens up, and how to get open during the season. You know what kind of coverages teams play against this type of offense.”
    Avery hopes to double his touchdown total in 2010 and said he looks forward to being a deep threat once again.
    “My first year, we exploited (that),” he said. “This year, I feel like we’re going to get back to it.”

As for Robinson, he was among the Rams’ best receivers during the early part of last season. He recorded 13 catches for 167 yards and a touchdown before he suffered his injury Sept. 27 against Green Bay.
    “It was extremely frustrating,” he said. “A part of me felt like I let the team down. It was a rough season, just watching it and not being able to participate with my teammates. It was frustrating, sitting back and watching it on TV.”
    Robinson, 25, came to the Rams by way of a trade with Atlanta before the ’09 season. Entering his fourth season, he said he is eager to make up for the lost time.
    “My expectations are high,” he said. “I’m ready to go out there and do everything I can do to help this team win. When the opportunity presents itself, I’m going to make it happen.”
    Just like Avery, Robinson sees himself as a deep threat for the Rams.
    "Those are the kind of plays we're working on right now," he said. "If we keep making them every day in practice, they'll show up in the games. You can't just flip a switch on training camp. You have to start right now and be consistent."

Robinson is one of 11 wide receivers currently listed on the Rams' roster. As of now, that means a large number of players are battling for just a few spots.
    "I'm excited," Robinson said. "This is what we live for, competition. We're all going to compete amongst the receivers. We're all excited about it. It's an open competition. Just go out there and make plays and let the personnel do what they have to do."

NOTES: Wide receiver Keenan Burton (knee) participated in team drills Monday. … The Rams made five roster cuts before practice, releasing defensive tackle Chris Bradwell, linebacker Simoni Lawrence, wide receivers Nick Moore and Rod Owens, and fullback Kennedy Tinsley. Their roster is now at 91 players.

Re: Glad To Hear This

So many camp reports I know, but I find them too addicting, and think that others here are also addicted.

I feel that Avery might have a very productive season this year. With the muscle and weight gain, and his health being back at 100%, I think we might see a faster, stronger, more consistent Donnie Avery this year.

And with Sam Bradford throwing him the deep ball, watch out.

I hope Robinson can stay healthy, we need this guy. He was a consistent "move-the-chains" receiver everytime he was in the game. Hopefully he can add on to that, and be a force this season.

Comment

Do the Rams dare let Avery handle Da Rock on Punt returns & KR again. Remember last years openning day kickoff? Wake me up when the season starts and we see some positive results from our WRs before I can feel confidence in them.
      Its good news to hear that Avery seems to be showing more dedication, but this should have happened last year. Maybe Robinson needs to beef up some more, good receiver, but I don't feel he's strong enough to stay healthy in the NFL as a starter.

By seasons end, Avery and Gilyard will be "Uncle Sam's" main goto guys!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dgr828 View Post
        Do the Rams dare let Avery handle Da Rock on Punt returns & KR again. Remember last years openning day kickoff? Wake me up when the season starts and we see some positive results from our WRs before I can feel confidence in them.
        Its good news to hear that Avery seems to be showing more dedication, but this should have happened last year. Maybe Robinson needs to beef up some more, good receiver, but I don't feel he's strong enough to stay healthy in the NFL as a starter.

By seasons end, Avery and Gilyard will be "Uncle Sam's" main goto guys!
        I disagree, they will probly be behind Robinson. Where are you getting that we will let Avery be the return man? Don't we have Amendola and Gilyard?

Comment

At the end of the day I truly believe that whoever shines in the preseason, will be the starters. Robinson and Avery will be given every oppurtunity but St this point if they are aren't producing Spags will throw someone in there that will. There is an abundajse of Young talented receivers on this team, hopefully one can step up. Personally I am routing for Avery to fulfill his promise And talent and trump all the people who didn't agree with taking him over desean Jackson. On the same token Like al Davis says just win baby so whoever produces produces just get the job done.

Comment

Originally posted by dgr828 View Post
            I hope Donnie sticks to being a receiver, and Amendola and or Gilyard handle kickoff and punt return duties .. As far as predicting how our receivers do this season, like you, I prefer to wait and see.

Comment

I am really pulling for Donnie this year. With his added weight and his experience in our offense, he should really be able to pick things up better and just really come into his prime really soon. He's shown us flashes, so lets hope everything work out.

I really like Robinson's chances. But he's been injured every year he's played. Not getting my hopes up. =/

Comment

I see it like this

Split End- 1.Robinson 2. Gibson
                Flanker- 1. Avery 2. Foster
                Slot- 1. Gillyard 2. Amendola

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamsInfiniti
                  With all due respect to Donnie Avery ...
                  by RamsInfiniti
                  I honestly believe that Laurent Robinson is going to end up the #1 WR on this team. You don't even have to look at the numbers to see it. This kid his nice size, good speed, runs routes well, and uses his HANDS to catch the ball. Every pass he caught against the Falcons was made solely with his hands ...

We've heard nothing but rave reviews about this guy in camp, and now it is transpiring onto the field. Watch him on Thursday, and you'll see how quick he is off the line, and how fluidly he moves into his breaks ...

The athletic ability that was shown by snatching that one errant sideline pass was incredible. He didn't quite get the feet down, but truly indicative of the athletic ability he has. Seems like a legitimate YAC guy also ...

Really reminds me of a young Torry Holt, similar kind of receiver in my opinion. I think the front office got a steal here, and now I understand why the Falcon's fans were so upset at letting him go so easily ...

At this point, Robinson just seems to be a more polised wideout than Avery. Should make for a nice tandem when he returns, but he has some catching up to do in my opinion if he wants to be the #1 ...
                  -08-24-2009, 07:28 AM
                • eldfan
                  Rams' Avery gets back up to speed
                  by eldfan
                  Rams' Avery gets back up to speed
                  BY JIM THOMAS

One of the criticisms of the Rams' draft was that they didn't select a speedster at wide receiver, someone who could stretch secondaries and keep defenses from ganging up on Steven Jackson.

But a familiar and occasionally maligned name from the recent past, Donnie Avery, still could fill that bill.

Avery says he's "a good 92-93 percent" recovered from surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. The injury, which occurred in the Rams' Aug. 26 preseason game in New England, cost him the entire 2010 season.

For most of this lockout-marred offseason, Avery has been rehabbing and training in his hometown of Houston, working with a strength coach and a track coach.

"Just trying to get back up to speed," he said. "Because you know with injuries like this, a lot of guys, they lose their quick-twitch muscles."

And Avery has had more quick-twitch than all but a select few human beings. His speed has been his greatest asset.

"Last week, I clocked a 4.34," Avery said after Wednesday's player-organized Rams practice at Lindenwood University.

That's nearly one-tenth of a second off Avery's personal best in the 40-yard dash — 4.27 seconds — but still a sizzling time. Since he's not 100 percent healthy, the NFL lockout actually has been a positive for Avery.

"It's been a great thing for me," Avery laughed. "I didn't want to miss OTAs, but the lockout is postponing them so it's given me more time to be healthy."

In normal times, the Rams would be in the third week of the spring practices, also known as organized team activities, and Avery might have been tempted to rush back into action. But with the lockout he has been able to ease back in, minimizing the possibility of setbacks.

He was part of the Houston workouts prior to the draft that involved Sam Bradford and many of the team's receivers, and is taking part in the Lindenwood sessions. But these workouts are shorter and more relaxed than minicamps, and Avery can go at his own pace.

Besides working to get his knee right, Avery has changed his diet.

"I slimmed down a little bit," Avery said. "I got up to 203 (pounds) but I didn't feel comfortable with it. So right now I'm like 190, 191. It's like 3.8 percent body fat. For dinner (Tuesday) night, I had 4.2 ounces of fish, 2.2 cups of brown rice, and a cup of green beans. So it's training right, eating a lot of proteins, and just working on my speed."

With a new offensive coordinator in Josh McDaniels and a new scheme, the Rams drafted two wide receivers last month in Austin Pettis and Greg Salas. But Avery said he didn't have much of a reaction either way when the picks were made.
                  -05-26-2011, 11:53 AM
                • 01d 0rd3r
                  Avery Steps to Front.
                  by 01d 0rd3r
                  Like most teams in the NFL, attrition begins to take its toll on rosters around the league the deeper into the season you get. That’s certainly held true in the case of the Rams and nowhere is that more evident than at the receiver position.

At a position that was short on experience entering the season, there’s been only one constant. That constant is a blur in blue, wearing No. 17 named Donnie Avery.

No matter which quarterback has been under center, the one player that signal caller has been able to count on this year is Avery, the second-year speedster out of Houston.

“You get comfortable with certain guys,” quarterback Kyle Boller said. “I just started taking reps with these guys again. Donnie is probably one of the ones I’m more comfortable with because he’s been around for training camp and mini camps and all that kind of stuff. I feel like each and every week we get more comfortable with each other. That’s the name of the game. Timing is what it’s all about.”

After an up and down start to this, his second season in the league, Avery has timed his emergence at a good time.

It’s difficult for any young player to have an immediate impact but receivers rarely make that much of a difference unless their name is Randy Moss.

In the offseason, the Rams’ receiver corps went through an extreme makeover, leaving Avery and fellow second year wideout Keenan Burton as the most tenured players at the position on the roster.

But at least entering the year, Avery was surrounded by players like Laurent Robinson and Burton, guys who had been in the new offense installed by coordinator Pat Shurmur for the entirety of the offseason program.

Fast forward to now and Avery is the only active wideout on the roster who was also on it when the preseason came to an end.

Whether he was ready for an expanded leadership role or not, Avery was thrust into it as the most experienced guy on the team.

“I don’t try to go out and yell during the week or go crazy,” Avery said. “I just try to lead by example and go out there, practice hard and hopefully go into the game, play hard and have success.”

Since the beginning of the season, the Rams have lost Robinson and Burton to season-ending injuries. Derek Stanley was released to make room for Danny Amendola and the likes of Nate Jones and Tim Carter have made appearances on the roster.
                  The Rams have replaced those players with youngsters like Amendola and Brandon Gibson as well as more experienced guys like Ruvell Martin and Jordan Kent.

But none of those players have been around or have the rapport with the quarterbacks like Avery and all of those receivers are quick to turn to Avery with questions.

“I just try to calm them,” Avery says of the younger wideouts. “Sometimes, I see them on the sideline with jitters and tell them I...
                  -12-10-2009, 08:44 PM
                • RamWraith
                  Season wears on Avery
                  by RamWraith
                  By Jim Thomas
                  ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                  Thursday, Dec. 18 2008

Like many NFL neophytes, Rams wide receiver Donnie Avery hit the rookie wall.
                  But he's over it now.

"I've climbed over the wall," Avery said. "I can't say I went through it. I had
                  to spend more time climbing over it."

The climb was painful. That's because a recent MRI exam revealed that the
                  fractured hip Avery suffered July 28 at training camp in Mequon, Wis., never
                  fully healed.

"I've still got a cracked hip," Avery said. "It's not healed."

After missing a couple of weeks of practice, Avery returned for the Rams' third
                  preseason game and has been playing ever since. Avery said he never had an MRI
                  when he returned in mid-August.

"So I've been playing on it the whole season," he said.

When asked why he came back before the injury was fully healed, Avery said,
                  "It's more about trying to be a team player. You help the team as much as
                  possible without, I guess, going overboard and ending your career."

Avery said he got through the discomfort by "psyching" himself up,
                  concentrating on drills ... "and then, painkillers, too."

Avery doesn't think he made the injury worse by playing on it, and has been
                  told by team doctors to stay off the hip for eight to 10 weeks once the
                  season's over to let the hairline fracture finally heal.

Even without the injury, Avery showed all the signs in late November and early
                  December of hitting the wall. That's the time of year when most college seasons
                  are finished.

"People are right. They say the NFL season is long, and there's training camp,
                  and you play more games (than college)," said Billy Devaney, the Rams'
                  executive vice president of player personnel. "But it's beyond that.

"Any senior preparing for the draft, they show up in August for their last year
                  in college, go through all of camp, go through their college season. As soon as
                  the college season is over, Avery was in the Senior Bowl. They're preparing for
                  the (scouting) combine, individual workouts. The draft comes. You've got
                  minicamps two weeks later, all the offseason workouts."

And the NFL season starts. So except for about a three-week period from the end
                  of spring practices to the start of training camp, NFL rookies are going nearly
                  nonstop for a year and a half.

"These kids — and I'm talking leaguewide — it is a marathon," Devaney said. "So
                  they are really worn down."

Keep in mind, Avery isn't the biggest wide receiver around, at 5-11, 184
                  pounds, making it easier for him...
                  -12-18-2008, 04:29 AM
                • r8rh8rmike
                  St. Louis Rams' Donnie Avery Works On Durability
                  by r8rh8rmike
                  St. Louis Rams' Donnie Avery works on durability
                  BY BILL COATS
                  ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                  06/12/2010

By trying to simultaneously give up meat and fried foods, Rams wide receiver Donnie Avery bit off more than he could chew. "I got burned out with it," he said. "So I cheat once a week and eat fried food."

Still, Avery mostly is sticking to chicken and fish, with heavy helpings of fruits and vegetables. He's hoping that an improved diet, plus 10 pounds of muscle added in the weight room, will increase his durability.

Nagging injuries — from a cracked hip to a stress fracture in his foot to a strained shoulder — hindered Avery during his first two seasons since the Rams made him the first wideout taken (second round, No. 33 overall) in the 2008 draft.

Avery missed only one game, but he rarely was in top shape on Sundays.

"It's frustrating, because you know you're not playing at a hundred percent," he said. "But at the same time you're still out there trying help the team as much as possible."

After the '09 season, coach Steve Spagnuolo suggested that Avery try to bulk up a bit.

"We talked about that before he left in January, that every time you catch the ball in the NFL, you've got to pop right back up and go in the huddle and make it look like nothing hurts," Spagnuolo said. "You've got to be durable, and one of the things about being durable is getting your body right. I think it's helping him.

"Now, we don't know; we haven't hit anything yet. But hopefully that'll work out."

For the organized team activities and the full-squad minicamp under way at Rams Park, the players aren't permitted to don pads, and contact is not allowed, per NFL rule.

The 5-foot-11 Avery added 14 pounds, up to 198, but wasn't comfortable. "It's kind of trial and error," he said. "I felt a little bit sluggish, so I had to lose some of that weight. I feel good with the 10 right now that I put on."

Avery's numbers slipped a bit last season from his rookie year. His receptions fell to 47 from 53 and his receiving yardage dipped to 589 from 674. "But my touchdowns went up last year" to five from three, he pointed out. "So that was a positive."

So far, his spring workouts have been a positive, too. "It's going great," Avery said. "Second year in the (offensive) system, and I feel a lot more comfortable in it."

Avery made a couple of acrobatic grabs at Friday's practice, which caught Spagnuolo's eye. "He looked really good today," Spagnuolo said. "I've been really happy with what Donnie's done. He'll tell you he's been inconsistent, because he's a pro and he wants to catch every ball. But I think he's doing a nice job."...
                  -06-12-2010, 10:46 AM
                Working...
                X