• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martz on the Mike

Head Coach Mike Martz
    Tuesday, October 12, 2004

(Opening statement)
    “Obviously this is a terrific win for this football team and organization. It means a lot in many respects. We are getting better, they did not get disillusioned. There were a lot of young players that learned how to compete, and stay in it. We had some players show up in this game that made plays to help us win this game. Guys like (Shaun) McDonald, Kevin Curtis, of course Brandon (Manumaleuna) with his touchdown catch, and Steven Jackson. DeJuan Groce came in and just did an outstanding job. We’re making progress, and we’re getting better. I know the first half didn’t turn come out the way any of us wanted, but they didn’t give up. When we went in at halftime, it was what we needed to do, it’s a step-by-step process, and here’s how we need to go about it, and they weren’t discouraged, and of course they were able to get the job done. I was very happy and pleased with the effort and how hard they played in the second half. When we had to make a play, somebody made a play. I was very pleased with the effort of the offensive line, particularly Grant Williams in the second half. He gave up a sack in the first half, and a rush on that side, but he came back in the second half and was outstanding on the right side. He was a major reason that Marc (Bulger) was able to move around and make some of the throws that he did. It was a great effort overall as a football team. I though special teams was very solid, the punt return was huge, and I though we covered their kickoffs very well. It was just a solid effort on the kickoff returns. It was Sean Landeta’s best effort so far, in my opinion, in terms of punting the ball. He had great hang time and distance, and there was only one return. Second half, we just need to continue from there, and continue to build. Offensive player of the game, although he had three interceptions, is Marc Bulger. To have three interceptions and to come back and compete and to play at the level that he did, and make those kinds of plays under pressure, is clearly a statement about not just what type of person he is, but the incredible player that he is. Special teams wise, Eric Flowers, four tackles on special teams, just an incredible job. Just a special mention for Trev Faulk again, he had three (tackles). Our defensive player of the game, Tommy Polley, with 10 tackles and a pass broken up. Just a great comeback by Tommy, he was out with a fractured rib, and did a great job coming back and making his presence felt on this football team. All in all obviously it was a terrific win for us, but as all games at this point, we have to have a short memory and get ready for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers here on Monday night.”

(On Seattle’s defense on third down)
    “They changed quite a bit on third downs. They changed every third down. One was pressure, one was two, one was four, one was man, they changed everything. It all starts in one particular area, and that’s the front, and that’s the offensive line. If he (Marc Bulger) can hold the ball to make the throw, he’s going to make that throw and we’ll catch it, and that’s the bottom line. Like the last play of the game, when they came after us with everybody, and he hangs in there. It’s just a terrific effort by the offensive line, and by Steven Jackson who blocked a blitzer. And since Marc knows the blitz is picked up, he can feel them picked up, he can hang in there and make the deep throw, which of course ends up a touchdown.”

(On QB Marc Bulger)
    “I wish you could all know him the way I know him. When he comes off and talks about an interception that just happened, he’ll say ‘I know that I did that, here’s how we fix that, what do you think about this.’ You like him to be that way. He’s got a short memory about that stuff. He’s excited about what he can do and the potential of what he can do in the passing series, and gets himself ready for the next series.”

(On if they made any second half adjustments)
    “Yeah, we’re so smart. Didn’t you know that? No, the guys just played so well. They just came back and played hard and fought their rear-ends off, and made plays. Players make plays. You do what you can to put them in position to make a play, and the second half we were making plays on both sides of the ball. We talked about such a great comeback on offense in the second half, but none of this would have been possible without the terrific effort by our defense in the second half. We threw an interception over there on the sideline, and gave them great field position, and we held them to a field goal. That wins the game for us. The three-and-outs at the end, the third-and-one at the very end of the game, where we stack them up and they don’t get it. The intensity just really picked up in the second half. I do know this, coming back from San Francisco, last week in practice our execution was terrific, but we were a tired football team. We got into that game, and once we got going, the emotion took over, and they got going pretty good. The fight that’s in this group is pretty incredible.”

(On if playing back-to-back West Coast road games takes a lot out of a team)
    “It does. And they’re both division games, both big games obviously. To win on Sunday night and then turn around and go back out there and play a team that has had two weeks to prepare for you. That says a lot about these guys, it really does. This week, since it is a Monday night game, they’ll have an extra day to rest. We’re not going to practice until Thursday. I think it’s important to let them recover. We’ll meet with the team Wednesday morning and go over the film. Our Thursday practice will be a Wednesday practice, our Friday will be a Thursday, etc.”

(On where this game ranks)
    “I think it is obviously at the top of the list. Right there next to the ’99 Super Bowl I would say. This was such a thrill to watch these guys. Just to be on the sideline and watch their attitude, and how the responded to everything, and how positive they stayed throughout the game, even the first half.”

(On the matchup between T Orlando Pace and Seahawks’ DE Grant Wistrom)
    “I thought Orlando played very well. Obviously, I think he’s the best tackle in the league, that’s how I look at him. I think Grant is a great defensive end. I think it was a terrific battle.”

(On running the ball to open up the second half)
    “That was one of the reasons why we threw the ball early in the game so much. As it got away from us, score wise, we came back in at half time, and had to slow things down a little bit. We felt like we should run the ball. That was the reasoning, we felt like our match-ups inside were pretty good.”

(On knowing when WRs Kevin Curtis and Shaun McDonald were ready to make a difference)
    “You don’t know, really, until you put them on the field in key situations like this, where they have to make a play to win the game. They just kind of blend in and make plays during the game. But when they make plays that are a major reason why you won the game, then you know that they are at that point where everyone gets excited.”

(On Curtis and McDonald getting support from the veterans)
    “I just think that (the veterans) really care about these guys, and where they are going. They are excited for them as teammates.”

(On when he felt the momentum shifted)
    “The drive when we came out, we didn’t even get points out of it, but the drive where we ran the ball, and ran the ball on third down several times and got first downs, at that point, I felt that if we got the ball back, we could have some success. Our players came off the field and had a different look about them. They were energized, even though we didn’t get points out of it. Then defensively, we stopped them and got them out of there. You just feed off all of these things. And of course, the punt return excited everybody.”

(On the kickoff coverage)
    “They did a great job. That goes back to having the same guys on (kickoff coverage) every week, more than anything else. Injuries can prevent that sometimes, but as long as we can keep that stable we should have real good success. Again, there are some big guys running down there that are awfully hard to block. We have defensive linemen that can run. Guys like Erik Flowers, Tony Hargrove, and Trev Faulk, who are violent guys, and it’s hard for smaller guys to block.”

(On the team’s resolve)
    “In camp, there is a formula that we talked about from the beginning about how to build this team and where we are going with it. We talked about the things that we needed to get done before the season started. It’s kind of a pyramid. It’s kind of a take off from the John Wooden (pyramid of success). We knew that we would have problems early in the season. There are a lot of issues. There are personnel options, we are bringing guys on our team, safeties, offensive linemen. We had back surgery, and this and that. We have a new defense we are trying to adjust to. You just have to have resolve to see your way through that, because there is going to be an awfull lot of criticism, believe it or not. If you don’t have that type of resolve, you won’t make it through. They understand that, and they have been really good about that. We never hammered it into (the players’ heads). We just talk about it. And either they believe what you say, or they don’t. That’s just the type of people you have. I’ve never had to hammer anything into anybody’s head. Those are the kind of people that you want sitting in those chairs during the team meetings, that are professionals with integrity and character, that listen to what you have to say. You talk to them man to man. We have great leadership on this team that believes that. And I think because they believe that, it pulls a lot of guys along too. They understand the needs and where we are going, and they believe in it. They believe in each other, and that’s the most important thing. I think that’s a great start. I think (getting the team to believe) is my job. That’s what I’m supposed to do. We’re not there. We won a game. We are a long ways away. We had a great win. We have a lot of season left, and there are still a lot of bumps in this road to go. We haven’t matured like we need to, and we are not where we need to be, or want to be, or will be. But we are making progress and we believe in what we are doing, and that’s the most important thing.”

(On if he thought about taking a shot in the end zone with :13 on the clock)
    “There was 13 seconds left in the game. You take a sack there, you get a deflected ball that’s picked off, this team has come from incredible odds to get to that point. Do you know what that would do to this team? That would destroy us. It would’ve destroyed us. To not give them the opportunity to continue to play and win the game in overtime, would just be unethical, in my opinion. Here you have, to me, the greatest kicker in league today. I know Wilkins, he’s money, he’s going to make that kick. We push it into overtime. We have over 300 yards in the second half. Our defense had shut them down. They hadn’t gotten a first down, and they couldn’t convert a third down. There was no question in my mind (to kick the field goal). Our special teams had been outstanding, we had a punt return. The odds are, if you have to play defense or offense, you are going to win that game, just tie it up and get it into overtime. And that’s why we did that.”

(On if take aways are a concern)
    “After the fact, absolutely, it’s always a concern because it’s the most significant fact in terms of winning and losing. We try like crazy. We are trying to get that ball taken away, and we are trying to protect the ball as much as we can. That’s the negative that we are trying to solve. That’s a big deal that we are trying to solve, and hopefully we can get a handle on that. But that’s a big issue to me.”

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
    Martz enjoying Rams latest win
    by RamWraith
    By Jeff Gordon
    STLtoday.com Sports
    Monday, Oct. 11 2004

Rams coach Mike Martz is feeling pretty good these days. During his Monday
    afternoon news conference, he had the pleasure of breaking down his team’s
    dramatic 33-27 overtime at Seattle.

“It was such a thrill to be on the sideline and watch them, their attitude, how
    they responded to everything, how positive they stayed throughout the game,
    even the first half,” Martz said.

Here were some highlights of the session:

On the big comeback: “Obviously this is a terrific win for this team. It’s
    obviously understated. We ARE getting better. They did not get disillusioned.
    We have a lot of young players that are learning how to compete. We had some
    players show up in this game and make plays to help us win this game, guys like
    (Shaun McDonald) and Kevin Curtis and of course Brandon (Manumaleuna) and the
    running back, Steve Jackson. DeJuan Groce came in and did a tremendous job.

“We are making progress and getting better. I know the first half didn’t come
    out the way any of us wanted, but they went in at halftime and it was what we
    need to do, it’s a step-by-step process and here is the way we need to go about
    it. They weren’t discouraged and they were able to get the job done.”

On the play of quarterback Marc Bulger: “To have three interceptions and come
    back and compete and to play at the level that he did and make those kinds of
    plays under pressure, it’s clearly a statement of what an incredible player he
    is.

“He does have ice in his veins. He doesn’t ever get unnerved. I’ve never seen
    him get unnerved in any situation.”

On the play of the offensive line: “I was very, very pleased with the play of
    the offensive line, particularly Grant Williams in the second half. He gave up
    a sack in the first half on a rush on that side. He came back in the second
    half and was outstanding on the left side. He was a major reason why Marc was
    able to move around and make some of the throws that he did.

“It all starts in one particular area, that’s the front, the offensive line. If
    (Bulger) can hold the ball and make the throw, he’s going to make it and we’ll
    catch it. If we can hold up like the last play of the game, when they came
    after us with everybody, and he hangs in there . . . it’s just a terrific
    effort by the offensive line, and by Steven Jackson, stones the blitzer over
    here. Marc hangs in there and he knows because they are picked up . . . instead
    of taking the shorter throw, he is able to take the deeper throw and it ends up
    with the touchdown.”

On the play of the special teams: “The punt return (by McDonald) was huge. I ...
    -10-12-2004, 06:21 AM
  • RamWraith
    Head Coach Scott Linehan
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Scott Linehan

September 17, 2007

(Opening Remarks)

“Claude Terrell does have a sore left thigh. It’s categorized as a bruise. He had an MRI today. We do not have any results from it, but we don’t anticipate anything other than that. Randy (McMichael) has a tight right hamstring that he pulled on the first catch of the game. He played with it, but it’s fairly sore today. Milford Brown did come out with a left ankle injury. Unless he has issues with it on Wednesday, as far as it being too sore to play on, we’ll assume he’s going to be okay. If he does have any problems at Wednesday’s practice we’ll MRI it, but he seemed to be getting better. Drew Bennett came out of the game okay. Pisa (Tinoisamoa) and Richie (Incognito) will be evaluated each practice this week as to how realistic they will be for being up this game. Both of them are still in question.”

(On DE Leonard Little)

“He has a sprained toe. He’s okay. He’s played with it, on and off throughout his career. He should be fine. I wouldn’t even anticipate him missing any time in practice.”

(On QB Marc Bulger)

“He just has sore ribs. He’s been hit a lot. It’s not just the line not blocking. We’ve been in some situations where we got third down and they (San Francisco) got free on a couple of their blitzes. He got a couple of them off, but he got hit on two. That’s a normal day’s work for a quarterback. I’d like to keep it to a minimum if we can. That’s going to be the key to our success in upcoming games.”

(On the game vs. San Francisco)

“It’s a similar story to the week before. We entered halftime with a lead. We came out of the blocks with the ball and we weren’t able to add to a six-point lead eventually. We had opportunities two weeks in a row to make it a two-score game, twice. Both times we turned it over. That will always come back to haunt you. I don’t know if it’s a lesson learned. We haven’t learned it yet. If we’re going to win these kinds of football games we’re going to have to take care of the ball better and we’re going to have to play better in the second half.”

(On turnovers)

“It can’t last because we can’t allow it to last. It’s happening because we’re too loose with the football. That starts with coaching. We say that we practice it, but it’s not carrying over in the games. To me, you play in games like you practice. Hopefully it’s a lesson we’ve learned the hard way and won’t continue it.”

(On if he wished WR Dante Hall had called a fair catch on the muffed punt)

“We trust his judgment and we’ll always trust his judgment. It’s easy to say now that we rather he caught it and returned it. Fair catch or not – a lot of times what people do is push and distract the returner by pushing...
    -09-18-2007, 05:04 AM
  • RamWraith
    Post Game Quotes
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Jim Haslett

(On injury to Derek Stanley)
    “Just to give you an injury update on Derek Stanley, he has a knee injury and he will have a MRI tomorrow. I think it is a significant injury, but we hope it is not, but he will have a MRI tomorrow.”

(On the game)
    “If nothing else this team is going to learn quickly in the future that when you have a chance to put a team away early in the game, that these turnovers are going to come back and get you sooner or later. Derek’s (Stanley) turnover led to seven points, then (TE) Joe Klopfenstein took seven off the board when it should have been 24-0 at halftime. When you let a team like that hang around and they come out and get the ball in the second half and they get a couple of field goals, then they are back into the game. You have a chance to really take care of it in the first half and you don’t do it, if nothing else hopefully this team will learn that that is the most important thing in the game.”

(On the Klopfenstein fumble and defenders being near him)
    “To me putting the ball to the ground doesn’t make a difference, you are responsible for that ball. He was wide open, he caught it, and he had enough time to cover it up and get to the ground.”

(On G Richie Incognito’s penalties)
    “I saw the pre-snap penalty but I didn’t see the holding penalty.”

(On WR Torry Holt’s offensive pass interference call by the referee)
    “I am not going to touch that. That is a young guy over there, a rookie referee. I am not sure what he saw, but obviously he thought it was pass interference and we have to live with it. If that is what he called it then that is what he called it.”

(On RB Kenneth Darby being in for the last possessions and Steven Jackson)
    “Because RB Steven Jackson was light headed and the doctor said he was down and he (the doctor) didn’t want him to go in, then he came in on the third down. That is why he was in there.

I am not really sure what happened with Steven, but when the trainer comes up and says that he is out until he is ready then he is out.”

(On passing the ball three times during the final possessions)
    “We had no timeouts, and we were trying to get a first down. We were trying to get a field goal and try to win the game.”

(On WR Derek Stanley attempting something different and risky)
    “I don’t know if it is risky, we ran about six or seven reverses today. I don’t think that was risky. He is a punt returner/kickoff returner, to me that is risky. Running a reverse is just carrying a football.”

(On the play of RB Steven Jackson)
    “I thought that Steven had a great first half, he didn’t get much going in the second half as far as the running game. He had 81-yards rushing in the first half and ended the game with 91 yards. It was a good first half. Obviously we didn’t get enough going...
    -12-15-2008, 05:57 AM
  • RamWraith
    Post-game quotes
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Jim Haslett

(On injuries)
    “The only injury we had was G Richie Incognito, he got light headed right before the half and the doctors wouldn’t clear him to go back in. We moved T John Greco over and went with John the rest of the way.”

(On the game)
    “Obviously, this was not the result we wanted, so I am disappointed from the standpoint. I felt we played hard. I appreciate those guys like RB Steven Jackson going out there and giving everything he had, T Orlando Pace who really had a two to four week injury and DL Adam Carriker. We have a bunch of guys who are beat up with nicks and bruises. You can hang your hat on one thing, those guys went out and competed and fought through all of the adversary and injuries that they had.”

(On RB Steven Jackson having only one touch during the fourth quarter)
    “He was gassed and his leg started to bother him, so we told him before the game to go as far as you could go and then we will play the other guys.

I appreciate Steven getting out there under the conditions; he hasn’t done much in the past month. To go out there and carry the ball in which I thought he was very effective in running the ball, but in a game like situation he just hasn’t had anything for a while.”

(On Jackson’s play shows he is a “difference maker”)
    “It is a big reminder. We have said it before; during some games if we had him we might have won the game. He is a heck of a football player, when you loose a guy like him it is hard to replace him.”

(On LB David Vobora)
    “It is hard to tell, but I think he did ok. He had good instincts and good position and he is a good leader. There are a couple of plays that I can pick out that he did very well with. I am sure that if I look at the film I will find something. For a guy in his first start and a seventh-round draft pick I thought he did fairly well. “

(On interceptions)
    “The picks didn’t really hurt us, defense did a great job. After the first pick they got nothing, after the second pick they got a field goal, and the third pick was at the end of the game. Obviously, three interceptions is three interceptions. Our problem is that we have to score touchdowns, as an offense we haven’t scored any touchdowns. We didn’t score this week, we didn’t score last week and it has been that way all year in the red zone. We just are just not getting the job done. I am not sure what the answer is, we will keep researching and trying to get it done. We are not really good right now in the red zone. You are not going to win kicking field goals in this league, you have to score touchdowns.

QB Marc Bulger

(On the loss)
    “We find ways to lose. We hung in there the first half. We got that corrected, which is good. We played good in all phases at some points, but we struggled at others.”

(On RB Steven Jackson being...
    -11-30-2008, 07:48 PM
  • RamWraith
    Post-Game Quotes from the Rams and the Falcons
    by RamWraith
    Reaction from players and coaches after the Rams (3-9) 28-16 victory over the Falcons (3-9) at the Edward Jones Dome.

Head Coach Scott Linehan

(On injuries)
    “We had a couple of injuries, I am not sure exactly how serious they are yet. WR Brandon Williams had a right ankle sprain, he tried to go but he was unable to finish. We made some adjustments in our return game. RB Brian Leonard got hurt on the second to the last series, it was his left ankle. I don’t know what that means for next week, we will determine that at least by Tuesday.”

(On player milestones)
    “When the players hit these monuments I just like to point them out. WR Isaac Bruce’s yardage put him at fifth all-time in the NFL. That is something that we all can be proud of. People have followed him around here for years and for this football team to be part of that is something special. DT La’Roi Glover has made his 81st sack, which is seventh amongst active and 40th overall. That is really a big deal. WR Torry Holt got his 70th touchdown and QB Gus Frerotte threw his the 100th touchdown pass of his career. ”

(On game)
    “We had some turnovers in the second half that made the game tougher than we wanted it to be, but having enough points on the board to finish the game is something that we just haven’t been able to do. Winning three of the last four and gaining some momentum with how we are playing, when a lot of people thought we weren’t playing for much, I think shows a lot about the heart and character of this team.”

(On win)
    “It has been a long season for a number of reasons and we have to defend our home turf. For me I really felt that as a home team the fans and the team really stepped up when we needed to. We made the most of the crowd noise in the second half, making some plays on defense, and the play at the end of the game.”

(On QB Gus Frerotte’s performance)
    “Quarterbacks will always take a lot of heat when things don’t go well, and in last week’s game Gus accepted that. Being the stand up competitor that he is, I can respect that more than his right arm. By the way Gus came out and competed he really gave us a spark. He really only had two bad throws in the second half, which were critical errors.”

(On punts during the second half)
    “I would rather punt than turn the ball over. At the end of the day we have to win the football game and trust me we put a lot of time into working on our second half. It is a matter of execution in all areas. We have to execute more.”

RB Steven Jackson

(On what best describes the win)
    “I think it was just an all-out team win. We started off fast and in the second half, once again, we kind of stalled out, but this time I think the offense really came together and put it on ourselves to finish the game and have no excuses.”

(On his 50-yard,...
    -12-03-2007, 06:43 AM
Working...
X