Fendi Onobun and Michael Hoomanawanui

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fendi Onobun and Michael Hoomanawanui

These players could both be the unsung heroes of this draft. If Hoomanawanui could become a TE like Manumaeleuna and Onobun like Gates, the Rams have a few bright spots to look forward to on offense from this draft, besides Gilyard and Saffold. What do you think?

Re: Fendi Onobun and Michael Hoomanawanui

Its would be nice to see if Onobun can make the transition from playing mostly basketball in College to adapting to playing a pro style TE position in the NFL. At 6'6", Onobun would make a huge target for SAM. Hopefully it works out!

Hoomanawani!!!!....Great! Another TE's name I have to learn how to pronounce!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dgr828 View Post
      Its would be nice to see if Onobun can make the transition from playing mostly basketball in College to adapting to playing a pro style TE position in the NFL. At 6'6", Onobun would make a huge target for SAM. Hopefully it works out!

It seems like the Rams draft a lot of TEs with names hard to pronounce.

Comment

Originally posted by dgr828 View Post

It really isn't that hard: Ho - oh - mana - vah - nu-ee. Now just speed it up a little and let it roll off your tongue .. Ho-oh-mana-wanui (the w is a soft v)

Just like Hawaii is correctly pronounced Ha-vai-ee .. I love listening to tv announcers pronouncing polynesian names ..

Comment

Originally posted by MauiRam View Post
          It really isn't that hard: Ho - oh - mana - vah - nu-ee. Now just speed it up a little and let it roll off your tongue .. Ho-oh-mana-wanui (the w is a soft v)

Just like Hawaii is correctly pronounced Ha-vai-ee .. I love listening to tv announcers pronouncing polynesian names ..
          Good lookin out, THX!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MauiRam View Post

Maui - where's the accent? Ho' - oh - mana - vah - nu'-ee?

Comment

Forgetting about the name, I love these two picks! Hoomanawanui is a blocking Tight end that has also had some tremendous catching ability shown in the Minicamp and the OTA's. Then

The other Fendi, has the measureables to be a beast! I also love his athletic sports background playing basketball, in which he could develop to be the next "Antonio Gates".

Comment

Hoomanawanui has the potential to be a solid dual threat tight end that is a mauler in the run game, and a consistent physical catcher in the pass game.

Onobun has the potential to be a dynamic playmaker in the form of Antonio Gates.

Comment

TEs currently on roster (6)... Who I'd like to see make team in blue

N A M E -------- S I Z E ---- PRO -- COLLEGE

Billy Bajema -- 6-4" / 260 -- 6 --- Ok. St.
                  Eric Butler ----- 6-2" / 265 -- 1 --- Miss. St.
                  Daniel Fells --- 6-4" / 270 -- 4 --- Cal Davis
                  Hoomanawanui 6-4" / 265 -- R --- Illinois
                  Darci Johnson - 6-4" / 255 -- 5 --- Central FL
                  Fendi Onobun - 6-6" / 255 -- R --- Houston

Now as much as I'm a "RealRam" fan, sometimes I fall behind on Rams news and events. Can someone update me on what happened to Randy McMichael? Where did he go, or did someone at Rams Park just forget to include his name for the 2010 preliminary roster?

If McMichael is not a Ram, then I'd cover Hoomanawanui in blue too. ;) Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by RealRam View Post
                    TEs currently on roster (6)... Who I'd like to see make team in blue

N A M E -------- S I Z E ---- PRO -- COLLEGE

Billy Bajema -- 6-4" / 260 -- 6 --- Ok. St.
                    Eric Butler ----- 6-2" / 265 -- 1 --- Miss. St.
                    Daniel Fells --- 6-4" / 270 -- 4 --- Cal Davis
                    Hoomanawanui 6-4" / 265 -- R --- Illinois
                    Darci Johnson - 6-4" / 255 -- 5 --- Central FL
                    Fendi Onobun - 6-6" / 255 -- R --- Houston

Now as much as I'm a "RealRam" fan, sometimes I fall behind on Rams news and events. Can someone update me on what happened to Randy McMichael? Where did he go, or did someone at Rams Park just forget to include his name for the 2010 preliminary roster?

If McMichael is not a Ram, then I'd cover Hoomanawanui in blue too. Thanks. ;)

McMichael signed a 3 year contract, 2007-2009, he is now an UFA, so he is not on the Rams roster.

Comment

Thanks Lesson, totally forgot about that! :ram:

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• sjacksonrules
                        Fendi Onobun?
                        by sjacksonrules
                        Did we give up on this guy? Or did someone snag him?
                        -09-05-2011, 06:15 AM
                      • laram0
                        I think I may have found the fly in the ointment?
                        by laram0
                        We are jinxed by the TE position.

Scott Linehan wasted a ton of picks trying fill the position!

DeSpags is close behind.

I know looking back is easy to do but the facts are the facts.

RAMS 2010 Draft:
                        ------------------

1. Sam Bradford (excellent pick)

2. Rodger Saffold (surprise pick?)
                        We could have selected Rob Gronkowski TE

3. Jerome Murphy
                        We could have selected Jimmy Graham TE

4. Mardy Gilyard
                        We could have selected Aaron Hernandez TE

5. Michael Hoomanawanie TE

6. Fendi Onobun TE

How about 2011's draft? we use our 2nd pick on...you guessed it another TE Lance Kendricks. Schools still out on him.

This is just one example of how poor our scouts and coaching staffs ability to recognize talent is.

We have wasted so many draft picks on TE's the last 5 or 6 years it's sickening.
                        -12-12-2011, 01:09 PM
                      • RockinRam
                        Onobun's Development Underway
                        by RockinRam
                        By Nick Wagoner
                        Senior Writer

Only moments after selecting tight end Fendi Onobun with the first pick of the sixth round last weekend, Rams general manager Billy Devaney was at his usual, straightforward best.
                        “We’re taking a flier, guys,” Devaney said after making the pick. “We know that. It’s a project in its truest sense.”
                        To take on a project such as Onobun, though, there has to be a good reason and with the super-athletic former basketball player, the Rams have seen plenty.
                        “The biggest thing is I am so new to this game, it’s like I am a piece of clay and they can mold me any way they want me,” Onobun said. “I am hungry. I want to get better each and every day and I think that’s the biggest thing.”
                        Onobun arrived to the Rams’ rookie minicamp this weekend ready for that molding process to begin after a fascinating journey in which football wasn’t even his primary sport at the collegiate level.
                        Before playing one season of football for the University of Houston last season, Onobun hadn’t played the sport since he was a seventh grader at O’Donnell Middle School in Houston.
                        Onobun had long since decided that basketball was the sport he wanted to pursue and his efforts at Alief Taylor High earned him scholarship offers from a number of high-major college basketball programs.
                        Arizona ultimately emerged as Onobun’s destination as he served as a role player for the majority of his four years in Tucson, averaging 1 point and 0.8 rebounds in his final season.
                        As a sophomore, Onobun says he was approached by football coaches at Arizona but he wanted to focus on hoops. So Onobun finished his four years and began evaluating his options for the next step in his career. The only thing he knew at that point was that he wanted to at least try to become a professional athlete.
                        Onobun received overtures from basketball teams overseas but was intrigued by an opportunity that was coming from the football world.
                        Duke basketball player Greg Paulus was exploring ways to use the NCAA’s eligibility rules to move from the hardwood to the gridiron.
                        According to those rules, a player had five years to complete four years of eligibility in a sport. If that player completes his four years of eligibility in one sport, he has an additional year in which he can play a different sport.
                        In addition, that player can transfer to another school and play the other sport without having to sit out a year.
                        “I thought why not? Why not go home?” Onobun said. “It really helped me as far as just learning the game. I can’t imagine being here during this last year and not playing the game of football at all. That would have been ridiculous. Being at Houston really helped me get the foundation of the game where I am able to pick up certain things like blocking schemes and running routes, things like...
                        -05-01-2010, 04:47 PM
                      • r8rh8rmike
                        Onobun Catching On
                        by r8rh8rmike
                        Onobun Catching On
                        Monday, August 9, 2010

By Nick Wagoner
                        Senior Writer

Sometimes, after he goes to bed following a long day of practice, meetings and everything else encompassed by an NFL training camp, rookie tight end Fendi Onobun can hear the voice.

The loud, scratchy, East coast voice of tight ends coach Frank Leonard replays over and over as Onobun tries to catch a full night’s rest.

“His voice is so loud, I really sometimes do hear him screaming at me in my dreams just because he’s always on me,” Onobun said.

As the Rams player with perhaps the most to learn, Onobun doesn’t mind all of the attention he’s getting from Leonard as he tries to learn all things NFL.

“That’s a good thing,” Onobun said. “You have a coach screaming at you, on you like that, all the time every second of the practice that means he really cares. So I’d rather have him screaming at me than not saying anything at all.”

For Leonard’s part, Onobun is something of a passion project after the Rams used a sixth-round choice on him in April’s NFL Draft.

Coming out of the University of Houston, Onobun had just one season of football experience following a four-year career playing basketball at the University of Arizona.

So while the learning curve for any rookie is naturally steep because of the increased speed and voluminous playbooks that are prevalent in the NFL, it’s not just the NFL game that Onobun has to get used to. It’s football as a whole.

And it’s Leonard’s job to ensure that happens.

“It’s challenging,” Leonard said. “It makes me make sure I am prepared and I am teaching the details of the position. It’s very exciting. It’s challenging for Fendi and it’s challenging for me to teach him the game of football and he’s a very willing participant which makes it exciting. He’s got a positive outlook on the whole situation.”

Onobun’s football education began back in the spring when he first reported for the team’s rookie minicamp at the end of April. Because of injuries at the tight end position, Onobun got some additional repetitions and was able to get acclimated a bit quicker than even he had hoped.

In this training camp, Onobun has had his share of ups and downs but he’s also flashed some of the enormous potential that goes with a guy who is 6’6, 249 pounds and an off the charts athlete.

In last Friday’s practice, while quarterback Sam Bradford was drawing rave reviews for his accurate throws, it was Onobun getting open down the field and providing him a target.

“It’s coming along,” Onobun said. “I have made some mistakes but the biggest thing is just not to make the same mistakes. With me, I spend a lot of time in the playbook, I am watching film, I am talking to Danny and I am talking to Darcy and Billy and those...
                        -08-09-2010, 06:52 PM
                      • RockinRam
                        The Tight End Situation
                        by RockinRam
                        I had my doubts on Danny Fells when this season started, and I thought he was overrated.

However, he's quietly showing up when his number is called, and has saved Bradford's butt several times now. He looks like a good safety blanket for Bradford.

I think Darcy Johnson will be gone when Uh-Oh comes back.

Just think of Michael Hoomanawanui coming back and adding another weapon for Bradford. He looked solid in pre-season, and I think he will carry that over.

Has anyone watched Bajema? He's been lying low.

IMO, once Hoomanawanui comes back, and pairs up with Fells, it would really solidify out passing attack because our WRs are already stepping up and improving each week.

It's going to be fun times ahead folks.
                        -10-04-2010, 04:29 PM
                      Working...
                      X