• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams Sign Joe Gibbs ..

Former Skyhawk Joe Gibbs signs free agent contract with St. Louis Rams
    By WPSD Sports

Story Updated: Jun 2, 2010 at 4:58 PM CDT
    MARTIN, Tenn. – Joe Gibbs, the former University of Tennessee at Martin three-time All-American and two-time All-Ohio Valley Conference honoree signed a free agent contract with the National Football League’s St. Louis Rams Wednesday.

“Joe was a high school guy who signed with us four years ago,” said head coach Jason Simpson. “He grew bigger and stronger over the years and turned into one of the best FCS linemen in the country.”

Gibbs started 11 games at right tackle for the Skyhawks in 2009 and did not allow a sack all season. He played a key role in UT Martin’s offensive success in 2009, as the Skyhawks were third in the Ohio Valley Conference in rushing offense, second in total offense, second in scoring and first in passing offense.

Gibbs’ strong play earned him several national accolades. In addition to being an All-OVC first team selection, he was also named an Associated Press FCS All-American and was also the only OVC player to be named to the American Football Coaches Association FCS All-American squad. Before the season, he was named a second-team preseason All-American by the Consensus Draft Services following a second-team all-conference selection in 2008.

All in all, Gibbs started in 37 out of 40 games in his career, including 31 consecutive games on the offensive line to close out his career. The last two seasons, he graded out at 87 percent and didn’t allow a single sack in 23 starts.

“With Joe’s character and great work ethic, he will represent UT Martin well in the NFL,” said Simpson.

What makes Gibbs’ offensive line play such a remarkable feat is that he spent his first one-and-a-half seasons at UT Martin as a tight end. Once he made the switch, he immediately became one of the best players in the conference and helped out quarterback Cade Thompson break the all-time UT Martin record for passing yards, completion percentage and touchdown passes. He was also a key part of the success of running backs Brandyn Young (10th all-time leading rusher) and Miguel Barnes (13th), who were two of only 20 players to rush for over 1,000 yards in their careers.

The Brilliant, Ala. native will also always be remembered in UT Martin history for the 2006 season. The Skyhawks earned their first-ever OVC Championship and finished the season with a 9-3 record and a No. 12 national ranking, the highest the team had ever been ranked.

With the Rams, Gibbs will help block for the first pick in the 2010 NFL Draft in former Oklahoma University quarterback Sam Bradford. While St. Louis chose Indiana University’s Rodger Saffold with its second-round pick (33rd overall) in April, the team had a void in the offensive line when seven-year veteran Jacob Bell underwent arthroscopic knee surgery on the first day of Organized Team Activities on May 18.

Gibbs’ signing marks the first time a UT Martin player has struck a free agent deal with an NFL team since Sam Dudley (Seattle Seahawks) and Andre Langley (Arizona Cardinals) inked deals in 1988.

If Gibbs makes the Rams’ roster, he will be the first UT Martin player to appear on an NFL roster since Fred Thomas. Thomas was an All-OVC first teamer for the Skyhawks in 1995 and was the 47th overall pick in the 1996 NFL Draft by the Seattle Seahawks. Thomas spent 12 seasons in the NFL (the last eight with the New Orleans Saints) before retiring in 2007.

Re: Rams Sign Joe Gibbs ..

Aside from playing at a smaller school, sounds like a good one who has slipped through the cracks to the Rams....good luck Mr. Gibbs.

Comment

When I read the title I was thinking about the Redskins coach and wondering what he can do to the team
      Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
      Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

Comment

Great signing. Excellent depth.

Last edited by txramsfan; -06-04-2010, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Good signing that adds depth to a place we need to make sure is strong; the OL. We're going to have a $50 million investment to protect.

Go Rams!

Comment

I like the signing here on face value. I'd like to see a few more guards on FA contracts as well to add a bit more competition and perhaps depth there as well.

Chalk up one more young body for the meat grinder baby!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamsSB99
              Vaughn Martin Sleeper?
              by RamsSB99
              I saw the following posted over at StLToday by zenonator this guy sounds like he is drawing a lot of interest as a sleeper pick and has good size for a DT.

FOOTBALL: Nearly a dozen teams have expressed an interest is defensive lineman Vaughn Martin NFL awake to Western's 'sleeper'Morris Dalla Costa
              London Free Press
              April 3, 2009

In baseball's olden days, it would have been called a good, old-fashioned barnstorming tour.

Several NFL teams have shown an interest in Vaughn Martin, who can return to university football if no one bites. (MIKE HENSEN/Sun Media)

Today, it's Vaughn Martin's travel itinerary and it might wind up delivering a National Football League contract.

Monday in Carolina, Tuesday in San Diego and during the next few weeks there will be stops in Miami, St. Louis, Cleveland, Indianapolis and likely more meetings in additional cities.

The 22-year-old Western Mustangs defensive lineman has spent a great deal of the winter working out and being worked out leading up to the April 25 NFL draft.

Judging by the interest, it at least could lead to a free-agent contract or it may get the six-foot-four 327-pounder selected in one of the draft's seven rounds.

"I'm not even thinking about what's going to happen," Martin said. "I'm just going to do the best I can and see what the results are. This doesn't really surprise me. I expected to do well. I let everyone else worry about everything else."

Martin is an underclassman, declaring for the draft before his graduating year. If he doesn't sign a contract and doesn't make a team, he can return to university football. An American underclassman who declares loses that eligibility.

Martin is in his second year of university football. Some NFL discussion sites call Martin a "sleeper" or "intriguing." Interest in Martin has expanded from a few teams to about 10.

The NFL rules governing testing and tryouts are stringent. Martin has worked out for the Detroit Lions and Cleveland Browns among others. The Indianapolis Colts are coming to London tomorrow for further testing.

During the next few weeks, Martin will be flown -- at NFL teams' expense -- to meet the coaching and management staff and be interviewed. Each team has a limited number of players they are allowed to bring in to visit.

"When we started, there were a couple of teams interested, but since we posted Vaughn's testing numbers on the NFL database for the teams, a lot of people are taking an interest," said Matt Baxter, who represents Martin with Enter-Sports Management of Atlanta. "As late as (Tuesday) we heard from Philadelphia and Minnesota and they wanted his game films."

NFL teams that show this much interest in a Canadian player usually sign him to a free-agent...
              -04-03-2009, 04:51 PM
            • MauiRam
              Local players make their bid to impress Rams
              by MauiRam
              14 hours ago • By Joe Lyons [email protected]

Andre Martin grew up a Rams fan in Ferguson. Not far away, in Florissant, Robert Steeples did the same.

And, for now at least, these 23-year-old cornerbacks with similar stories are seeking to make the most of an opportunity at Rams rookie minicamp, which opened Friday and wraps up this afternoon.

“It’s a blessing,’’ Steeples said. “They say God never throws more at you than you can handle. ... It comes down to time and chance. I’m big into my Bible ... the way stuff has been falling into place for me is kind of like a dream. At the same time, I’m going to pray for it and then I’m going to work and go get it.’’

Martin added: “It’s just home. I feel comfortable coming back and having an opportunity to compete and play at this level, a high level. Just looking for a chance to showcase my talents.’’

Steeples, who starred at De Smet, signed a free-agent contract with the Rams shortly after the NFL draft late last month.

Martin, a McCluer product, is one of 27 players in camp for tryouts, hoping to catch the eye of the Rams’ coaching staff for a contact.

“Football is football, you know, the ball gets a little bigger and play on a different day, but it’s still football,’’ he said. “You just have to keep working. You just have to learn what they’re trying to teach us and showcase your ability.

“I feel I should’ve been drafted. I’m good; I’m pretty good. God puts you in situations for a reason, so this is the route he wanted me to go.’’

Road to a title

After a stellar career at McCluer, Martin played three seasons at Northern Iowa. He started in 2009 and 2010, coming up with seven interceptions.

Injuries and a coaching change limited Martin to just one start in 2011. So, after earning a degree in in gerontology (“the study of old people, basically,’’ he explained), he transferred to North Dakota State University.

“The coach that recruited me, he left for (North Dakota State) a year earlier and I wanted to finish out with him,’’ Martin said. “I had learned so much from Chris Klieman, just a great coach.’’

Healthy and reunited with Klieman, Martin started 13 games, led the team with six pass breakups and came up with his lone interception in the fourth quarter of the Bisons’ 39-13 win over Sam Houston State in the Division I FCS national championship game.

Following Friday’s workout, Martin was sporting a championship hat and even treated reporters to a glimpse of an impressive championship ring.

Although just minutes from home, Martin does not expect to visit with family and friends this weekend.

“They know this is a business trip for me,’’ he said.

Martin, a 5-foot-11, 195-pounder, played both cornerback and safety in college. He describes himself...
              -05-11-2013, 12:59 PM
            • Nick
              Rams Sign DE Marcus Martin
              by Nick
              Rams Sign DE Marcus Martin
              Sunday, Aug 05, 2018 07:30 PM
              Myles Simmons
              RAMS INSIDER

BALTIMORE — The Rams have made a roster move on the eve of their first practice with the Ravens, signing defensive end Marcus Martin.

A college free agent out of Division-II Slippery Rock, Martin initially signed with the Seahawks following the spring’s draft. Even though Martin recorded a record-setting 56.0 sacks in college, he joined the Seahawks to play as a fullback. That ultimately did not work out, as Martin was waived in late May.

Martin is the all-time NCAA leader in sacks irrespective of division with his 56.0 quarterback takedowns. He holds the record for Division-II career tackles for loss as well, with 92.5.

Los Angeles announced Margin’s signing as a defensive end, meaning he will likely go back to playing defense.

The Rams will practice with the Ravens this week before taking on Baltimore for Los Angeles’ first preseason matchup on Thursday evening.
              -08-06-2018, 05:25 AM
            • Barry Waller
              Would Snead Trade Out of Top Seven?
              by Barry Waller
              Rumors are heating up about Detroit and Buffalo, who pick 10th and 9th trying to get as high as #2 to get the guy they want.

While one can easily see why moving to 6th would work for the Rams, still landing them a top three tackle, a move to 9th or 10th, and even 8th if the Vikings rumors are also true, would leave the Rams out of the top tier of talent.

However, any of those last three scenarios would almost surely have to return that team's 2015 first rounder.

The question for fans is, would you be willing to deal down as far as even 10th if the team trading up offered their 2015 #1 as well as a high pick this year ?

It would mean taking Zach Martin as your tackle, instead of Jake Mtthews or Taylor Lewan or Greg Robinson.

But is that a big enough drop in talent NOT to take a deal, especially with Buffalo, who could have a high pick again in 2015. That's less likely with Detroit or Atlanta, both expected to compete for the playoffs.

We KNOW how Les Snead likes to trade for future #1 picks, after all.

Now imagine that after taking Martin at #9 and then a corner at 13 or after a small deal down, and a safety in round two, even if they don't get Buffalo's #2 this year.

Then imagine they fix the O-line by taking a guard and a center in the mid rounds, or with an extra second rounder from the deal also find another couple LB RB, another DB or two, and a possible backup QB in 2014.

Imagine going into 2015 as a really solid team now with two #1 picks again, one quite high.

With no need at DE, DB, TE or OL, the Rams would be wide open to take a QB, DT, or WR as their only round one need.

To me, having two picks in round one again would be worth adding Martin instead of those top three OTs, especially if they also add Buffalo or Detroit's #2 this draft.
              -05-07-2014, 02:13 PM
            • DJRamFan
              Martin, Harper Named C-USA Players Of The Week
              by DJRamFan
              Mustangs Claim League Honors

Sept. 12, 2005

IRVING (SMU) - SMU's DeMyron Martin and Jamey Harper have been named the Conference USA Offensive and Defensive Players of the Week, respectively, the league announced today.

In his first career game, Martin, a redshirt freshman from Allen, Texas, accounted for all three touchdowns in SMU's 21-10 win over No. 22 TCU on Saturday. It was SMU's first win over a ranked opponent since 1986. Martin rushed for 118 yards and two touchdowns on 26 carries and also caught two passes for 20 yards including a 22-yard TD reception. Martin's 118 yards marked SMU's first 100+-yard rushing performance this season and the first since Foy Munlin rushed for 114 against San Jose State in 2004. In addition, Martin's three touchdowns were the most for an SMU player since Chris Cunningham scored three against Rice in 2001.

Harper, a senior from Atlanta, Texas, anchored an SMU defense that held TCU to just 253 yards of total offense and no offensive touchdowns in the SMU win. Harper intercepted two passes (a single-game career high) and also notched seven solo stops. Harper's two picks were the most by an SMU defender since Kevin Garrett also had two against Hawaii in 2002.

The SMU Mustangs continue their season this Saturday, when they travel to College Station to take on Texas A&M at 11:30 a.m.
              -09-12-2005, 03:40 PM
            Working...
            X