X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday Notes/OTA Report

Posted Fri, June 04, 2010 02:25
    by Nick Wagoner

- The Rams have wrapped up OTAs for this week and will get back at it on Monday morning.

- On Friday, the team worked on a lot of two-minute drill stuff and the competition on the field was as entertaining to watch as any OTA thus far. Before we dive into that, we'll knock out some news.

- In Thursday's practice, tackle Rodger Saffold suffered what is being called a mild knee sprain. The injury is not believed to be serious but it will likely keep Saffold out of the rest of OTAs, according to coach Steve Spagnuolo. The Rams believe Saffold could potentially return but Spagnuolo says the team does not want to rush him into anything so he'll be at full strength in time for training camp.

- In other injury news, there isn't much to add. Defensive end C.J. Ah You appears to be coming back well from knee surgery. He's doing more than was anticipated at this point in camp.

- Quarterback Sam Bradford spoke to the media after practice and discussed his progression so far. Bradford says he is feeling much more comfortable and things are coming more naturally to him just three weeks into his time working with the veterans.

- Tight end Michael Hoomanawanui continues to impress and caught a long touchdown pass down the middle during team drills. He has much better hands than the scouting reports seemed to indicate.

- Overall, it was a pretty even practice in terms of competition. Both sides took turns having success.

- Don't forget: if you want your first glimpse of Sam Bradford's throwing arm, come out to Busch Stadium tonight to see the Cardinals take on the Brewers. Bradford and the Rams rookie class will be on the field before the game and Bradford will throw out the first pitch, apparently to fellow Oklahoma native and Cards LF Matt Holliday.

- Bradford admitted he's a bit nervous to throw the pitch since he hasn't played baseball since eighth grade but my inside sources say he's been practicing and is in fine form.

- The Rams will have OTAs on Monday and Tuesday of next week before the full squad minicamp begins Thursday running through Saturday.

Re: Friday Notes/OTA Report

Thanks for the update, just needs the Rams to get together and find their rhythem. And their QB to play more like a vet and become a leader. Then the coaching to get their act together as well. Then they will be like the Greatest Show on Turf, return back to their years.
    Carolina Panthers @ Denver Broncos 2/7/2016 CBS 6:30PM EST Santa Clara CA!

Comment

I've been pretty high on Hoomanawanui, and it looks like we may soon have found our #1 TE.

Still too soon to tell, but he has the size, strength, physicality, and attitude to be a full fledged starting TE. Not to mention he is also a mean blocker.

Comment

Originally posted by RockinRam View Post
        I've been pretty high on Hoomanawanui, and it looks like we may soon have found our #1 TE.

Still too soon to tell, but he has the size, strength, physicality, and attitude to be a full fledged starting TE. Not to mention he is also a mean blocker.
        Agree with your comments on M. Hoomanawanui. I mentioned him in another thread, along with Josh Hull, as 2 rooks that I'm anticipating will be a lot better than most think.

Hoomy was a blocking beast for the Illini and his receiving numbers were only held down by that worthless QB they had. This kid could be the real deal.

WHAT SAY YE?

Comment

I'm very excited for Hoomy. I can't wait to see him during preseason!

Comment

Great news! Sam Bradford throwing out the first pitch at the Cardinals baseball game. Hope the Saint Louis Baseball crowd comes to embrace the potential new face and future franchise of the Rams. Its said that Saint Louis is primarily a "Baseball Town", Bradford can influence the Busch crowd to spill over to Da ED. "Build a #1 draft QB and they will come!"

Hoomanawanui: Way to early to tell! Let's see how he does in the preseason. Its been too long since the Rams had a high ranking quality TE. It would be nice to get a Tony Gonzalez type. Fells is nice, McMike was a BUM, I don't know,can't see a rookie stepping right in and taking over the position. TE is just one of the many positions that Spags will need to reavaluate before the season begins. Last year was a down year at the TE spot for the Rams, This must not continue! GOOD LUCK, HOOMY!!!
            sigpic

Comment

Saint Louis is indeed "primarily" baseball, but don't for a second think that we don't love football here..

Rams football is always being discussed here (along with baseball of course..).

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
                From the Sidelines: Rams Open First Portion of Training Camp
                by Nick
                Rams Open First Portion of Training Camp
                Posted >Thu, July 29, 2010 11:15
                by Nick Wagoner

- The Rams began their training camp in earnest on Thursday morning, practicing with rookies, quarterbacks and selected veterans. The group of selected veterans - per league rule - comes from players who are recovering or have recovered from injuries suffered last season or during the offseason.

- Before we get into the practice happenings, just a quick word on QB Sam Bradford. No deal is done just yet but it is expected to happen sooner than later. It sounds like it's just a matter of time right now.

- The veterans will all report tomorrow afternoon before the first full squad workout on Saturday.

- Of the injured players returning to action, all participated in Thursday's practice save for running back Steven Jackson and safety Oshiomogho Atogwe. Both are expected to arrive Friday.

- As for the rest of the recovering from injury crew, most did a good majority of Thursday's morning practice. Tackle Jason Smith was limited and didn't do team drills (Rodger Saffold filled in on the left side) but Smith still did a good amount of work.

- Speaking of the tackle duo, Spagnuolo says that right now nothing is set in stone in terms of which player will end up on which side of the line. While both are expected to ultimately be the OL bookends, there is going to be a period to take a look at what each player can bring on each side of the line. With Smith limited, Saffold will get a long look on the left side.

- For their parts, neither Smith nor Saffold seemed too concerned with which side they play, saying they only want to do what they can to help the team.

- Tight end Daniel Fells appeared to be back to full speed and acknowledged as much on Thursday morning. He's recovered from knee injury and wasn't limited much if at all in practice.

- Ditto for cornerback Bradley Fletcher.

- QB A.J. Feeley doesn't mind reporting early even though he's one of the teams most experienced vets. Feeley says it's a chance to knock off some rust before everyone arrives so he can hit the ground running when everyone does arrive.

- Spagnuolo says that undrafted rookie Jamie McCoy will get work at running back as well as fullback as the Rams continue to explore his intriguing versatility.

- A few housekeeping items to get out on the jersey number front...CB Jerome Murphy has switched from 26 to 23, Moses Harris has switched from 42 to 26, CB Antoine Thompson has switched from 38 to 41 and LB Cardia Jackson has switched from 48 to 51.

- That's it for now. Be back with more from the afternoon practice barring any breaking news.
                -07-29-2010, 09:38 AM
              • MauiRam
                Rams Notebook: Team's injury list is growing, even in practice ..
                by MauiRam
                By Howard Balzer

Saturday, June 5, 2010
                It’s bad enough the Rams have several players on the sideline during OTAs receiving from injuries suffered during the 2009 season.

But now, the inactive list is growing with players injured during the offseason work. Joining guards Jacob Bell (knee) and John Greco (pectoral), wide receiver Brandon Gibson (hamstring), center Drew Miller (knee) who have been injured since OTAs started is rookie tackle Rodger Saffold, who suffered a sprained knee in practice Thursday.

Saffold was not on the field for practice Friday, and the injury is one that would keep him out two or three weeks. That makes it unlikely that he would participate in any of the team’s remaining OTAs. Next week, there are two OTAs, plus the three-day mandatory minicamp Thursday through Saturday. The final OTAs are the following week.

The team’s rookies will stay around and continue working the week of June 21 before departing until training camp starts at the end of July.

Coach Steve Spagnuolo called the sprain “mild,” and said, “We’re going to be careful with it.”

Saffold, the team’s second-round pick, had been working with the second team in the offseason workouts, with Phil Trautwein on the first unit.

As the Rams did when Alex Barron was traded and they added tackle Brandon Joyce to the roster, they signed rookie free-agent tackle Joe Gibbs after Saffold’s injury to keep the numbers up at the position. Gibbs is 6-foot-4, 298, and played at Tennessee-Martin.
                Sam the pitcher

Quarterback Sam Bradford threw out the first pitch at the Cardinals’ game Friday night against Milwaukee. All of the Rams’ rookies were guests of the Cardinals and were on the field before the game.

Friday afternoon after the Rams’ practice, Bradford admitted to being “nervous,” and added, “I haven’t thrown a baseball in a while.”

If he was nervous, it didn’t show. On the mound and from a windup, Bradford threw a strike on the outside corner, with Oklahoma native Matt Holliday the catcher. He hadn’t played baseball since the eighth grade, when he was a pitcher and third baseman.

When he got to high school, he played AAU basketball in the summer, so his baseball days ended.

When asked before the Cardinals’ game, what he thought he might hit on the radar gun, Bradford said, “I’m really not going to try and touch anything. I want to make sure the arm is OK for football next Monday.”

As for whether he’s a Cardinals fan, Bradford said, “I am now. We didn't have a baseball team in Oklahoma, so I really didn't follow a specific team. Now that I'm in St. Louis, I know the Cards are huge here. I look forward to hopefully coming to more games.”

He recalled coming to St. Louis with his father for a weekend and some games in 1998 during Mark McGwire’s home-run chase....
                -06-05-2010, 10:14 AM
              • Richbert88
                Update Aug. 10, 2010 By Eric Edholm
                by Richbert88
                Apologies if this has already been posted.

Bradford takes center stage at Rams camp, but others are in focus too
                Updated Aug. 10, 2010 @ 7:06 p.m.
                By Eric Edholm
                ST. LOUIS — I opened my car door after driving down from Chicago this morning and my sunglasses instantly fogged up.

And as if that didn't worry me about the heat, then there was this: three bolts of lightning from the suddenly ominous sky.

That was enough for Steve Spagnuolo, who started practice outside but had to bring the troops indoors.

"We had a little adjustment we had to make," Spags said. "But the guys responded and had a good practice."

Among those guys — drumroll please — was Sam Bradford. He's the subject of my feature story, which you can read tomorrow elsewhere on this site.

Yes, Sam was impressive again. (Though I am guessing this was not one of his two or three best practices of camp.)

But what interested me today was the rest of this team. Last year's 1-15 season is in the past, but the memory is fresh. And though the roster has seen a good share of turnover, there remain a lot of players from that squad here.

That said, I was impressed with a few things I saw and still have questions about others. Some of it I'll cover in the Bradford story.

But here were a few noticeable plays from practice:

OT Rodger Saffold is a big kid, but he is a bit squatty and doesn't look like he's built like a left tackle. That is, until you watch him move out there. He comes out of his stance effortlessly and kicks and slides well. He's a natural lefthander, and he has impressed the staff to the point where he's settling on the left side and keeping Jason Smith on the right for now. Safford hasn't been told differently about where he'll play this year, but he'd be happy just getting the chance to play anywhere, he said. Saffold also said he's feeling a little physically drained, but he knows that it's part of training camp. When he has a good practice (and the folks around here who I have talked to were impressed), he has heard encouraging words. He knows that learning the playbook so quickly gave him a huge leg up when it came time to report to camp. "The better that you know the plays, the more you can slow things down," he said. "I am able to understand the basic concepts, but once the concepts start merging into each other, you start knowing what you have to do. It becomes second nature."

The tight end battle has been "thick" according to Spagnuolo, and I can see why. The Rams have five players vying at that position, and none are established players with a guaranteed roster spot. But there are a few intriguing players, including undrafted rookie Fendi Onobun. Although Onobun was too high in his pass-blocking technique in drills early in practice, allowing
                -08-11-2010, 07:00 PM
              • Nick
                Wagoner: Rams OTA Day Three Observations
                by Nick
                Observations from Rams' third OTA
                June, 6, 2014
                By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams held their third organized team activity and second session open to the media Friday.

After a heated practice Thursday, things normalized a bit Friday but there were still some worthwhile notes to come from the practice. One quick thing before we get into that, I just want to note that much of what happens in these OTAs should be taken with a grain of salt (especially for the linemen). The players are not in pads and contact must be extremely limited. It's best not to get too excited or too down on anything that happens.

Away we go...

Bradford works: As planned, quarterback Sam Bradford did participate in Friday's practice after sitting out Thursday as he works his way back from knee surgery. Bradford worked in a couple of seven-on-seven drills, one in normal offense and one in the red zone. A little more surprising was the fact Bradford took reps with the first offense during full team drills as they worked on the two-minute offense.

For what it's worth, Bradford looked sharp in his reps. His drops were mostly clean and the ball had his usual velocity when he did uncork a pass. Bradford does indeed appear to be right on schedule for a full-time return at training camp.

More line dancing: With left tackle Jake Long not expected to return from his own knee surgery until midway through training camp at the earliest, Rams coach Jeff Fisher has made it clear the team won't be messing with the stability of the other positions on the line. That means rookie Greg Robinson and Rodger Saffold will remain stable at their spots at left and right guard, respectively.

As for Long's spot, the Rams will continue to look at some of their younger developmental prospects. On Thursday, Sean Hooey got an opportunity to work with the projected starting line. On Friday, it was Mike Person's turn to step in. It's increasingly clear how confident the Rams are that Long will be back for the opener.

Elsewhere on the line, center Scott Wells returned to practice as expected. In other words, the Rams are working with four of their five projected starters right now.

Sitting it out: The Rams still have their share of players not participating in OTAs. In addition to Long, the Rams were without defensive ends William Hayes and Sammy Brown, running back Chase Reynolds and safeties Maurice Alexander, Christian Bryant and Matt Daniels.

Bouncing back: Wide receiver Brian Quick had some rough moments in Thursday's practice but was much sharper during Friday's workout. On one play in seven-on-seven drills, Quick ran a sharp route down the seam, faked inside, getting cornerback Brandon McGee to bite, turned to the outside and made a diving catch on an under thrown ball. But Quick had cleared enough space to get up and finish...
                -06-06-2014, 06:09 PM
              • Rambos
                Observations from Rams' third OTA
                by Rambos
                By Nick Wagoner

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams held their third organized team activity and second session open to the media Friday.

After a heated practice Thursday, things normalized a bit Friday but there were still some worthwhile notes to come from the practice. One quick thing before we get into that, I just want to note that much of what happens in these OTAs should be taken with a grain of salt (especially for the linemen). The players are not in pads and contact must be extremely limited. It's best not to get too excited or too down on anything that happens.

Away we go...

Bradford works: As planned, quarterback Sam Bradford did participate in Friday's practice after sitting out Thursday as he works his way back from knee surgery. Bradford worked in a couple of seven-on-seven drills, one in normal offense and one in the red zone. A little more surprising was the fact Bradford took reps with the first offense during full team drills as they worked on the two-minute offense.

For what it's worth, Bradford looked sharp in his reps. His drops were mostly clean and the ball had his usual velocity when he did uncork a pass. Bradford does indeed appear to be right on schedule for a full-time return at training camp.

More line dancing: With left tackle Jake Long not expected to return from his own knee surgery until midway through training camp at the earliest, Rams coach Jeff Fisher has made it clear the team won't be messing with the stability of the other positions on the line. That means rookie Greg Robinson and Rodger Saffold will remain stable at their spots at left and right guard, respectively.

As for Long's spot, the Rams will continue to look at some of their younger developmental prospects. On Thursday, Sean Hooey got an opportunity to work with the projected starting line. On Friday, it was Mike Person's turn to step in. It's increasingly clear how confident the Rams are that Long will be back for the opener.

Elsewhere on the line, center Scott Wells returned to practice as expected. In other words, the Rams are working with four of their five projected starters right now.

Sitting it out: The Rams still have their share of players not participating in OTAs. In addition to Long, the Rams were without defensive ends William Hayes and Sammy Brown, running back Chase Reynolds and safeties Maurice Alexander, Christian Bryant and Matt Daniels.

Bouncing back: Wide receiver Brian Quick had some rough moments in Thursday's practice but was much sharper during Friday's workout. On one play in seven-on-seven drills, Quick ran a sharp route down the seam, faked inside, getting cornerback Brandon McGee to bite, turned to the outside and made a diving catch on an under thrown ball. But Quick had cleared enough space to get up and finish the play...
                -06-06-2014, 05:06 PM
              Working...
              X