Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jason Smith’s toe injury appears to be minor ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jason Smith’s toe injury appears to be minor ..

06.08.2010 11:04 am
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

The St. Louis Rams practiced for just 35 minutes Tuesday morning as organized team activities continued. Near the end of the brief workout, the Rams got a scare when left tackle Jason Smith hobbled to the sideline, limping heavily.

According to coach Steve Spagnuolo, it looked worse than it probably was. Spagnuolo said that Smith tweaked a toe and that the injury appeared to be minor. When he walked off the field after practice, Smith, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2009 draft, was limping only slightly.

Also on the injury front, guard John Greco returned to the field. Greco had been sidelined with a chest-muscle injury. Cornerback Kevin Dockery sat out after twisting an ankle Monday.

After practice, the players were bused to Monroe Elementary School in Soulard, where they were to help construct a playground as part of the team’s community outreach efforts.

Re: Jason Smith’s toe injury appears to be minor ..

*watches herd of people freaking out stampede towards this thread*

How about we not post "minor injuries" on this site anymore??? My heart stopped...

Comment

Too much information.

Comment

I love my Rams but damn...this team gives me anxiety! Please stay healthy everyone!

It kills me to see news like this although it's minor because I think there's so much potential in this team yet injuries plague that hope of having a good year--then others get blamed like the coaches (who I actually like a lot unlike Linehan); it just stinks.
        Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Comment

No worries. Every other team has minor dinks and scratches. It's part of the game. Plus, it's only early June guys.

Comment

C'mon guys, seriously it's only June. I'd rather them get injured now than in August.

Comment

He's clearly an injury prone bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Varg6 View Post
                I love my Rams but damn...this team gives me anxiety! Please stay healthy everyone!

It kills me to see news like this although it's minor because I think there's so much potential in this team yet injuries plague that hope of having a good year--then others get blamed like the coaches (who I actually like a lot unlike Linehan); it just stinks.
                I'm with you Varg, any injury where players hobble off the field causes me anxiety too, especially with this teams history. I'm sure Smith's injury is nothing, but I still can't help but cringe every time something like this comes up. What can I say, I'm gun shy from the last several years.

Comment

Originally posted by mikhal5569 View Post
                  C'mon guys, seriously it's only June. I'd rather them get injured now than in August.
                  yet it seems our guys always seem to get injured now AND in august...

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
                    I'm with you Varg, any injury where players hobble off the field causes me anxiety too, especially with this teams history. I'm sure Smith's injury is nothing, but I still can't help but cringe every time something like this comes up. What can I say, I'm gun shy from the last several years.
                    Lol, exactly. We need to go at least one season without 400 injuries before I can just shrug news like this off
                    Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Comment

A toe, we're talking about a toe. This is getting ridiculous I mean we're talking about a toe, a toe man!
                      sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
                        That's exactly why I don't want to know about these types of injuries in June.

Comment

In the regular season he'd have had his toe taped to the next one and he'd be out there on the next series, I'm sure. As laram0 said, IT'S A TOE! No big deal to me.
                          I believe!:ram:

Comment

Originally posted by laram0 View Post
                            A toe, we're talking about a toe. This is getting ridiculous I mean we're talking about a toe, a toe man!
                            Actually, Leonard Little had a toe injury in 2007 that adversely affected his play and caused him to miss most of the season. His career was never the same. Toe injuries can be a you know what.

Comment

According to the Rams' official Twitter account, Jason reaggravated it...

Rams T Jason Smith irritated toe injury in morning practice. Sits out afternoon workout to have an MRI. Results later.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Varg6
                                Smith's Injury not so bad?
                                by Varg6
                                From ESPN...

Yesterday, the belief was that the St. Louis Rams could be without their top draft pick for up to a month, as Jason Smith had to leave the game on Sunday with what appeared to be torn cartilage in his knee, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

"They're calling it a meniscus [cartilage] right now," coach Steve Spagnuolo told the paper after the game. "I'm not sure the extent of it."

Both Smith and center Jason Brown had MRIs performed on Monday, and both are now listed as having knee sprains, which is much better than the torn meniscus situation.

Even so, league sources have told the Post-Dispatch that Smith is likely to miss a game or two, which means Adam Goldberg is the likely starter this weekend for the Rams.
                                -09-22-2009, 09:45 AM
                              • shroomysoup
                                Will Jason Smith be okay?
                                by shroomysoup
                                I heard on the radio awhile ago that Jason Smith suffered a SERIOUS concussion injury and that it may affect his ability to play football for the rest of his career. Does anyone have any updates on him? How is he doing?
                                -12-14-2009, 11:50 AM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Jason Smith Passes Concussion Tests/Team Injury Reports
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Jason Smith passes concussion tests

By BILL COATS
                                November 10, 2010

St. Louis Rams tackle Jason Smith, who missed the Carolina game Oct. 31 after suffering a concussion in practice, has been cleared for full participation after passing neurological exams. He is expected to start at right tackle Sunday in San Francisco.

"I'm feeling great," Smith said. "I'm happy to be cleared and be out there with the team. ... Concussions are a real serious matter."

Also returning to practice Wednesday were cornerback Ron Bartell (shoulder/thigh), guard Adam Goldberg (illness), linebacker James Laurinaitis (knee) and linebacker David Vobora (hamstring).

Those sidelined were wide receiver Danario Alexander (knee), safety James Butler (ankle), punter Donnie Jones (calf), fullback Brit Miller (calf) and tight end Fendi Onobun (back).
                                -11-10-2010, 04:35 PM
                              • Nick
                                Jason Smith still feeling effects of concussion
                                by Nick
                                Jason Smith still feeling effects of concussion
                                Steve Korte
                                12/7/2009
                                Belleville News-Democrat

Rookie right tackle Jason Smith still hasn’t recovered from the concussion that he sustained on Nov. 22.

Smith failed to pass his baseline test again on Monday. He’ll see independent consultant, which now mandated by the NFL under the league’s concussion policy, on Tuesday.

“A lot of concern,’’ Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said of Smith’s concussion. “Anybody we have in the program here who had a concussion is always a concern. A hard one to figure out. I do know all of the sudden they can be OK.’’

Other injury news from Spagnuolo's press briefing on Monday:

-- QB Marc Bulger will have an MRI on Friday to see how much the fracture in his shinbone has healed. Spagnuolo said Bulger still is on crutches.

-- WR Donnie Avery had an MRI on Monday after having a subluxation of his shoulder. The results weren’t known.

Avery was able to return to action against the Bears.

“He did go back in with a brace and kind of gutted it out,’’ Spagnuolo said. “Hopefully, that’s a sign that he’ll be able to bounce back this week.’’

-- Quarterback Kyle Boller is bothered by a thigh injury.

-- FB Mike Karney will have another X-ray on his neck. Spagnuolo said he was hoping that Karney, who has missed two games, would be able to return to action this week.

-- Rookie DT Dorell Scott had an MRI on his neck.

-- LB David Vobora might get an X-ray on his hand.
                                -12-07-2009, 05:39 PM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Jason Smith Has Up, Down NFL Debut
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Jason Smith has up, down NFL debut
                                BY JIM THOMAS
                                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                                01/02/2010

Jason Smith got a little bit of everything as an NFL rookie. But too much of injuries.

Smith returned to practice this week but won't play in Sunday's season finale against San Francisco. After missing five games because of a concussion, a week's worth of practice simply isn't enough to get game ready.

So when all is said and done, the rookie offensive tackle from Baylor will have played in only eight games this season, with five starts.

At age 23, he already has learned a valuable lesson about his profession. Namely ...

"Don't take the season, and playing football, for granted," Smith said. "Obviously, there's a lot of people that wish they were able to wake up every morning, let alone be able to play football. At the end of the day, I'm just happy I was able to wake up and be a part of this team."

That is Smith's rather unorthodox way of saying he's just happy to be alive.

Although Smith was the No. 2 overall pick in the draft, nothing was handed to him by coach Steve Spagnuolo. Smith didn't move into the starting lineup until just before the regular-season opener.

Certainly nothing was handed to him once the games started. In the season opener, against the Seahawks, Seattle rookie linebacker Aaron Curry came at Smith's knees low and late downfield after a run by Steven Jackson early in the first quarter. Those are the kinds of plays that can lead to blown-out knees. But Smith was OK, and Curry was fined by the NFL.

Smith also gave up a sack to Lawrence Jackson in that game, and another — to Dwight Freeney — six weeks later against Indianapolis.

But there were plenty of high spots. In Game 2, against Washington, a block by Smith sealed the edge on a 58-yard run by Jackson — his longest gain of the year. The play set up the Rams' first touchdown of the season and gave them their first lead of the season.

In the first Arizona game, on Nov. 22, blocks by Smith and tight end Randy McMichael helped spring Jackson on a 48-yard run that set up a Rams field goal.

The gain put Jackson over 1,000 yards for a franchise-record fifth consecutive season.

But for every step forward this season, Smith seemed to take one back.

Less than 1˝ games into his NFL career, Smith suffered a knee injury before halftime of the Washington game.

He missed the next two games entirely because of the injury then rotated in for three contests before regaining his starting job in Game 8, against Detroit. He flashed his aggressive run-blocking skills against the Lions and was solid in pass protection as well in a 17-10 Rams victory.

Following the bye, he also started and played well in the next two games.
                                -01-01-2010, 11:16 PM
                              Working...
                              X