Rams sign DT Hovan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams sign DT Hovan

According to Adam Schefter on Twitter...

Former Bucs and Vikings DT Chris Hovan agreed to terms today with the St. Louis Rams.

Re: Rams sign DT Hovan

from PFT:
    Free agent defensive tackle Chris Hovan has found a new home.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Hovan has agreed to terms with the St. Louis Rams.

Hovan started all 16 games for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2009, but the Bucs released him in April, after they chose defensive tackles in the first and second rounds of the draft.

The 32-year-old Hovan played his first five seasons with the Vikings after Minnesota selected him in the first round of the 2000 draft. He has played the last five seasons with the Bucs.
    @EssexRam_

Comment

From Mike Sando:

Defensive tackle Chris Hovan, who was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in April, agreed to terms with the St. Louis Rams on Wednesday, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Hovan, a 10-year veteran, was the 25th overall selection in the 2000 draft by the Minnesota Vikings.

He signed with the Buccaneers in 2005 and made an immediate impact on the team's run defense. He signed a five-year, $17.5 million extension in 2006.

After netting 13½ sacks combined in his first three seasons with the Vikings, Hovan totaled just 3½ the following two seasons and has only five in five seasons since.

Comment

Hmm veteran presence for the younger ones or would he bring something in rotation. With Robbins, Ryan, Gibson, Scott he might not get much playing time.

I liked him in his prime, but he seems a bit washed up now

Comment

Originally posted by Bing69 View Post
          Hmm veteran presence for the younger ones or would he bring something in rotation. With Robbins, Ryan, Gibson, Scott he might not get much playing time.

I liked him in his prime, but he seems a bit washed up now
          you can say that again

Comment

I wonder what tx thinks of this signing and its potential to provide depth?
            The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Makes you wonder what the Rams saw - or didn't see, perhaps - out of their defensive tackles during OTAs. It's not as if Hovan just became available and the Rams wanted to snatch him up; he's been on the market since the draft. Hovan won't provide much of an impact, but he's at least been a reliable starter for the Bucs for the past five years, missing only one game in that span.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post
                Unfortunately I must spread my rep around more, but this is gold!

Comment

That's funny. However, I'm not even gonna waste my quote on this one. He's just a camp body.

Comment

I'm happy with the signing. All I need to hear is DT and started all sixteen games last year. I'm sure he will make the team and add some much needed depth at the postion as are young guys continue to develop.

Comment

Why sign Hovan when there is a premiere DT still available in John Henderson?!

Depending on wages, contract length etc Henderson still has a good number of years left in him

Comment

Depending on wages, contract length etc Henderson still has a good number of years left in him
                        I forgot he was still out there. Perhaps he's asking for too much money.

Comment

Hub, I'm nominating this post for the first annual Montgomery Burns Awards for Outstanding Achievements in the field of Excellence.

Comment

What, you want to give HUb an award for piggy backing on my 5 year sarcastic work of art?

PUHLLEEEEZZZZZEEEEE.....

Seriously about Hovan, his play has gone down significantly the last 3 years to the point that the worst defense in the NFL cut the man before the draft I think. Maybe he can fall into the fountain of youth and make it work again but if anyone is hoping that Hovan is going to dramatically improve this D line I think you will be disappointed.
                            Last edited by txramsfan; -06-09-2010, 07:30 AM.

Comment

You really think anyone currently sitting out there on the market right now qualifies as a "premiere player" at their position?

Originally posted by txramsfan View Post
                              Seriously about Hovan, his play has gone down significantly the last 3 years to the point that the worst defense in the NFL cut the man before the draft I think. Maybe he can fall into the fountain of youth and make it work again but if anyone is hoping that Hovan is going to dramatically improve this D line I think you will be disappointed.
                              Oh I agree, Hovan is not very good. But the notion that he could very well be in the mix as part of a rotation, or depending on how things go emerge as a starter, tells you something about what the Rams are working with at DT.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• jjigga3000
                                Chris Hovan done for the Season???
                                by jjigga3000
                                They said they placed him on the injured reserve. But since the season hasn't officially started can he be taken off before the season starts. As the rule reads if placed on the injured reserve the player is done for the season.
                                -08-07-2010, 10:46 AM
                              • Nick
                                Rams sign DT Trevor Laws
                                by Nick
                                https://twitter.com/#!/caplannfl/sta...37363702730752

Rotoworld's take: "A rotational lineman in Philly last season, Laws averaged about 25 snaps per game and recorded 20 tackles with one sack. A 4-3 nose, Laws goes 6-foot-1 and a tick over 300 pounds. He'll compete for playing time next to Kendall Langford. Pro Football Focus has graded Laws as a solid run defender over the past four years. He seemed to plateau after a four-sack 2010 season, though."
                                -04-11-2012, 06:04 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                No deal yet with Rams, so Draft visits Bucs
                                by RamWraith
                                By Jim Thomas
                                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                                03/16/2007

Free-agent linebacker Chris Draft came and went from St. Louis without a contract from the Rams.

Draft went to Tampa Bay on Friday for a visit with the Buccaneers.

Although not necessarily a good sign for the Rams, team officials and Draft’s agent continue to talk, so it’s still possible a deal can get done. Prior to visiting the Rams on Wednesday and Thursday, Draft had visited New Orleans.
                                Draft, 31, registered 111 tackles and 5½ sacks last season for the Carolina Panthers, primarily playing middle linebacker.

Advertisement
                                But Draft has played all three linebacker positions, and if signed by the Rams, most likely would compete with Brandon Chillar for the strongside linebacker job.

The Rams have only four linebackers under contract. A fifth LB, Chillar, has been tendered a one-year, $850,000 offer as a restricted free agent.

In addition, the Rams continue to negotiate with Dexter Coakley, who was released by the team in February, about re-signing for a lower amount.

They have had preliminary talks only with veteran Isaiah Kacyvenski, an unrestricted free agent who played only special teams for the Rams last season.

Also:

Rams | Team looking to re-sign Kacyvenski
                                Fri, 16 Mar 2007 15:14:21 -0700

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the St. Louis Rams are having preliminary talks to re-sign unrestricted free-agent LB Isaiah Kacyvenski.
                                -03-16-2007, 03:49 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                Veteran tackle agrees to one-year deal: RAMS
                                by RamWraith
                                Veteran tackle agrees to one-year deal: RAMS
                                By Bill Coats
                                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                                Thursday, Jun. 08 2006

The Rams, who had been seeking help for the interior of their defensive line
                                since losing free agents Ryan Pickett and Damione Lewis in March, believe they
                                have found some in veteran tackle Jason Fisk.

The team agreed to a one-year deal with Fisk on Tuesday. He is expected to sign
                                a contract when he arrives in St. Louis today and be on the field Friday at
                                Rams Park for the start of a three-day minicamp.

The Rams also signed kicker Remy Hamilton and agreed to terms with cornerback
                                Kevin Timothee. Both were free agents. Kicker Josh Cummings, an undrafted
                                rookie, was released.

The 6-foot-3, 300-pound Fisk said he was ready to begin preparing for his 12th
                                NFL season. "I've been training pretty good for the last couple of months, just
                                in case I had an opportunity to do this," he said in a telephone interview from
                                his home in Davis, Calif. "I think I'm in fairly good shape."

Still, Fisk, 33, said that because of family considerations, this probably
                                would be his final season. He and wife, Miriam, have two daughters - Julia, 9,
                                and Carmin, 3 - and a son, Tucker, 7. They will remain on the West Coast during
                                the season.

Fisk, a Stanford product, was a seventh-round draft pick by Minnesota in 1995.
                                He played four years with the Vikings, three with Tennessee, three with San
                                Diego and last season with Cleveland.

Fisk started for the Titans in the Super Bowl in January 2000, won by the Rams
                                23-16. "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em," he said, laughing.

He saw action in all 16 games with the Browns last season, collecting 39
                                tackles. When he was released after the season, Fisk thought he might call it a
                                career. "I was kicking the idea around," he said. "But I couldn't find anything
                                better to do."

Several teams contacted his agent. He said he picked the Rams mainly because
                                he's more comfortable in a 4-3 defense, which is expected to be the team's base
                                alignment. Fisk acknowledged that he had difficulty adapting to 3-4 defenses
                                with the Browns and Chargers.

"It usually requires a big, 350-pound guy playing nose tackle, and I struggled
                                a bit doing that," he said. "I'm looking forward to getting back into a 4-3."

Pickett, who signed with Green Bay, and Lewis, who went to Carolina, both were
                                Rams first-round draft choices in 2001. Their exit left Jimmy Kennedy and
                                La'Roi Glover as the probable first-team tackles. The only other defensive
                                tackles on the roster were Brian Howard and Jeremy Calahan, plus rookies Claude
                                Wroten...
                                -06-08-2006, 04:47 AM
                              • shower beers
                                Rams closing in on deal with Fred Robbins
                                by shower beers
                                The Rams are reportedly finalizing a deal with free agent DT Fred Robbins.
                                Reuniting with coach Steve Spagnuolo? The Rams aim to get bigger upfront, and Robbins (6'4/325) would provide a presence at the 3-technique tackle. If healthy, Robbins would be a boon to the team's run defense.
                                Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch

---------------

...and we're back to square one in regards to who our staff wants with the first pick. First a qb, now a d-lineman. I like this signing, personally.
                                -03-06-2010, 04:18 PM
                              Working...
                              X