Steven Jackson Underrated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steven Jackson Underrated?

I've recently been researching all over the net. From running back rankings, to predictions for next season.

Seems like Steven Jackson is underrated to me. I get really disappointed when I see players like Frank Gore, Ray Rice, Rashard Mendenhall infront of him.

I mean, there all great players, but Steven Jackson managed to get the 2nd most yards last season with 1,416 while missing a game and being on one of the worst teams in the NFL.

Seems like our team will be much improved this year, only helping Steven. SJAX has clearly proved he can play with 5 consecutive 1,000+ yard rushing seasons.

I see him being a pure beast next year. Achieving another 1,400+ yard season, 10+ td's, 40+ receptions, 500-600 yards, and 3-6 td's.

I think he is the best running back in the NFL. I don't want this to be a bias opinion, but with an improved team, he will only do better. Sure there is "some concern" with his back surgery but I'm sure he will easily work past that.

I mean this guy does it all. He can clearly run, catch, block, even throw! Career passing stats 1/1 2 yards, 1 td and a QB rating of 118.8.

What do you guys think?

Re: Steven Jackson Underrated?

I think you are right. People are concerned about his back surgery, I find it actually more beneficial to Jackson.

Jackson ran for 1,400+ yards last season with a pinched nerve in his back. With his surgery, his back is stronger, healthier, and should not bug him this season.

I expect him to be phenomenal this season.

Comment

Originally posted by RockinRam View Post
      I think you are right. People are concerned about his back surgery, I find it actually more beneficial to Jackson.

Jackson ran for 1,400+ yards last season with a pinched nerve in his back. With his surgery, his back is stronger, healthier, and should not bug him this season.

I expect him to be phenomenal this season.

Great to see somebody agree with me. He is a workhorse, and I see him topping the league next year at his position.

Comment

I think we all agree jackson is underrated. I personally would take him over any back in the league. We have the best back in the league bar none he can do alittle of everything. He outruns people like a scat back but then runs u over like a train and carries people while running. So let the "experts" say what the want sj39 is the best back in the league.

Comment

Are you looking at actual player rankings by an author, or fantasy rankings? Because I've seen fantasy rankings with Rice and Gore ahead of him, and based on SJ's lack of touchdowns last season, I can't say I necessarily blame them. But in an overall player ranking, I think Jackson is a top three RB in this league, top five at worst.

Comment

with better blocking and a passing game should be right up there at the top!
            LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Comment

I think what you keep seeing is fantasy rankings because most people downgraded him in fantasy because of the back surgery. SJax is my favorite player but i like Gore more in fantasy. As for actual football most people will have Sjax higher than gore, maybe rice.

Comment

I looked at both rankings, and fantasy. I still dont understand, Jackson had more fantasy points than almost all running backs (exception of 3 or 4). I think this year he will hit 10+ td's again, considering our leagues worst offense last year.

Comment

Every year somebody proclaims Gore as the next best fantasy back, and every year he lays an egg. Steven Jackson needs, nay, DEMANDS respect! (also some touchdowns would be nice)

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                    Are you looking at actual player rankings by an author, or fantasy rankings? Because I've seen fantasy rankings with Rice and Gore ahead of him, and based on SJ's lack of touchdowns last season, I can't say I necessarily blame them. But in an overall player ranking, I think Jackson is a top three RB in this league, top five at worst.
                    Good point about fantasy rankings, but from what I read and hear SJ gets much love, he has been a one man show and most knows he is a beast of a back.
                    :ramlogo:

Comment

Originally posted by shower beers View Post
                      Every year somebody proclaims Gore as the next best fantasy back, and every year he lays an egg. Steven Jackson needs, nay, DEMANDS respect! (also some touchdowns would be nice)

I never really liked Gore. I feel like he's already peaked, and will never get much better than he already is. And, he's kind of overrated to be honest.

Comment

In ESPN's standard scoring Sjax was the 10 best RB and the 32 overall. Considering he was drafted around the 6 spot in most leagues he highly underperformed. Love him to death and will always draft him if he is on the board but he isn't as good in fantasy as he is on the field.

Comment

Jackson is underrated because we went x-xx the last 3 years. If he played on the Colts or Saints people would be all over his running saying things like best back ever and Steve "the freight train" Jackson.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
                            Blog: Should The Rams Be Worried About Steven Jackson?
                            by r8rh8rmike
                            Should the Rams be worried about Steven Jackson?
                            by VanRam on Nov 18, 2010

Don't be alarmed, yet, but St. Louis Rams RB Steven Jackson is having a rougher season than observers might have imagined.

Jackson has started in all 9 of the Rams' game this season. Through that time, he has 192 carries for 757 yards and 3 TDs. As a receiver, he has 25 catches for 236 yards and 0 TDs. Not bad numbers. However, he's averaging 3.9 yards per carry, the lowest total of his career. In 2008, he averaged 4.1 YPC, rushing for over a 1,000 yards in 11 starts.

Calculating Jackson's totals over a complete season, he's on pace for 1,345 yards, which would be his third highest total, less than last year's 1,400+ yards. More of a red flag for the Rams front office is Jackson's pace for total carries. Extrapolating his average attempts per game, 21.3, out over the rest of the season, Jackson is on pace for 341 attempts. That would be his second highest total. He had 346 carries in 2006, and then missed 4 games the next season with injury issues.

He's on pace for 45 receptions (third highest total), 419 yards (second highest), and has an average YPC of 9.4, a number consistent with his best YPC totals through the years.

That Jackson's rushing numbers have slowed from expectations as well as historical norms should concern fans and the team alike. In part, you can blame some weaknesses in run blocking this season, though Jackson's had to contend with lesser offensive lines than this one. FB Mike Karney is also having a down season, likely slowed by age and the physical nature of what he does. A renewed emphasis on the pass has changed the nature of the offense that used to only feature Jackson, but it's not as though Sam Bradford's passes are taking reps from Jackson.

The biggest concern is with Jackson himself and natural decline of players in his position who feature that physical style of running. Of course, he's been a one man show for the Rams offense over the years, which has accumulated in extra wear and tear. Injuries have kept Jackson off the field only once this season, when he left early with a groin injury in the Rams week 3 win over Washington. However, that groin injury bothered him for a few games following that one. He's had to contend with a broken hand since then as well. Neither injury has kept him on the bench, but they both raise big red flags about Jackson's health in the weeks ahead, not to mention the next season.

The most concerning sign of all might be the noticeable lack of lengthy runs Jackson has this season. He has just 4 runs of 20 yards or more. He had 12 in 15 games last season. Using more advanced stats, the Rams running game, i.e. Jackson, has an open field yardage number (runs 10 yards beyond the LOS) of just 0.54, the 23rd lowest in the league. Last season, that number was 0.88, the 11th ranked in the league.
                            -11-18-2010, 11:54 AM
                            Is Jackson among the NFL's Elite?
                            by Guest
                            09.02.2009 1:16 pm
                            Is Jackson among game’s elite RBs?

By Roger Hensley

THE WATERCOOLER
                            QUESTION: It’s been three years since Steven Jackson totaled 2,300+ yards rushing and receiving back in 2006. Two injury-marred seasons later, does Jackson still belong in the discussion as one of the game’s top running backs?
                            JIM THOMAS
                            WIthout a doubt. Jackson levels the playing field for the Rams. He’s one of only three NFL running backs with at least four straight seasons of 1,000-yard rushing yards entering 2009. (The others: Thomas Jones of the New York Jets and LaDainan Tomlinson of San Diego.) Jackson just needs to stay healthy. In each of the past two seasons, he has missed four games entirely and most of a fifth because of injury.
                            BERNIE MIKLASZ
                            Here are the stats: over the past three seasons, Jackson is 5th in the NFL in rushing yards, 4th in yards from scrimmage. That’s a Top 5 running back. But Jackson’s star power has dropped, nationally, for a couple of reasons. Primarily it’s health and the perception that he misses a lot of time because of injuries. (He has missed games, but the same is true of most RBs; only four backs had more rushing attempts than Jackson from 2006-2008). But as former NFL personnel guy Michael Lombardi said at The National Football Post, Jackson is a blue-chip talent who doesn’t have blue-chip durability. Moreover, Jackson’s employer has been so hopelessly bad over the last couple of years, it’s lowered his profile. Other backs — such as Steve Slaton in Houston — get more attention now. Jackson should reclaim that Top 5 status this season.
                            BILL COATS
                            No question that he does. Although he missed a total of eight games during 2007 and ’08, he topped 1,000 yards rushing both seasons and averaged 4.2 yards per carry. That’s only a bit off his ’06 pace of 4.4 yards per carry. Plus, he remained a receiving threat out of the backfield, with 78 catches. Jackson’s still the same guy; he just needs to stay healthy.
                            JEFF GORDON
                            A lot of top backs, like Jamal Lewis and Thomas Jones, are getting some miles on them. Others are having to share the load as more teams go with a two- or even a three-back arrangement. So, yes, Jackson is in the top six or seven RBs in the league. Despite his injuries he has stacked up 1,000-yard seasons. He is also one of the elite pass-catching backs in the NFL. He may never meet the expectations fans have for him, but he’s still superior to all but a few backs in the league.
                            BRYAN BURWELL
                            When healthy, Jackson certainly does belong in the conversation of the game’s top backs. He’s big, fast, strong and elusive, and he is in the best shape of his life and in a new offense that will highlight those skills.
                            KEVIN WHEELER (Host of “Sports Open Line” on KMOX)
                            Absolutely, yes. None of the injuries he’s dealt with have been the serious kind that saps a player of his abilities over time — no knee reconstructions...
                            -09-02-2009, 02:46 PM
                          • RamsSB99
                            Will Steven Jackson ever do better then 2006 in rushing or receiving?
                            by RamsSB99
                            Steven Jackson is now 27 years old and is starting his 7th season in the league. He looks like he might miss this next game and if so it will be the sixth time in seven seasons that he was unable to play in all 16 games. 2006 was the only season he was able to play in all 16 games and his per game and yearly stats were the best that year. He set rushing bests in avg yards per game 95.5, total TD's 13, and total rushing yards 1528. He also set receiving bests in yards per game 50.4, catches 90, total receiving TD's 3, and total receiving yards 806. He also had his longest run 59 yards and longest reception 64 yards. Jackson is the type of back that takes alot of direct or ackward hits IMO. He should be good for another 2-3 seasons but most RB's that approach the 30 plateau in age seem to fade quickly. I like Jackson and will try to enjoy the time he has left but injuries and age are concerning. We really need to get a back that could share some of the load and help keep Jackson in good shape. Possibly even go to a two back system with Jackson getting a 60/40 split.

One guy that does intrigue me and is available via trade is Marshawn Lynch he is only 24 and has good speed.
                            Yes
                            50.00%
                            No
                            50.00%
                            -10-01-2010, 07:03 PM
                          • Milan
                            NFC-West best running game?
                            by Milan
                            Steven Jackson and Frank Gore are tied for first in the NFL with rushing yards, one boasts 4.1YPC (Jackson) the other 4.6 YPC one 1 TD (Jackson) the other 3.

With fumbles though Gore has struggled, while Jackson has yet to fumble it.
                            Jackson slightly has the edge over gore, maybe by 15 or so yards in all purpose yards....and I believe he's leading the NFL in all purpose yards.

So the question is, do you think the NFC-West has the best running game?

The other two RBs haven't done much, and one is injured, even though he didn't do much before his injury.
                            -10-09-2006, 06:26 AM
                          • dgr828
                            Jackson is still the Dancin' Machine
                            by dgr828
                            Steven Jackson just can't seem to stop dancing before hitting to holes. He would have much more success if he could just run straight through the tackles. He had one breakout run for a TD, which was nice, but most of the time he's stuttter stepping, dancing back and forth, sometimes with unnecessary jukes that leads to being stuffed at the line or loss of yardage. Steven would do best to leave the dancing to his brother, Michael!
                            -11-25-2007, 04:42 PM
                          Working...
                          X