Not feeling it from Feeley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not feeling it from Feeley

Its should take a short period of time for the Rams #1 pick, Sam Bradford, to take over the reigns as the team's starting quarterback, once he signs his huge contract.
    The prospects of Adam Joshua Feeley leading the Rams at QB for the entire season makes it hard to believe that anything positive could come out of that.
    A.J. is nothing more than a career backup, at best.
    In college, he backed up Joey Harrington at Oregon.
    He's been a 3rd stringer for the Eagles.
    He bombed in Miami and couldn't get on the field in San Diego.

Feeley went back to Philly and got beat out for the 2nd string spot by an aging Jeff Garcia...Seriously, Garcia would be a better fit for the Rams right now.

Last year AJ had a cup of coffee with the Carolina Panthers.

How long will AJ Feeley be needed to keep the QB seat warm for SAM?

Could AJ Feeley surprisingly have a breakout year?

Will AJ Feeley be a good mentor for a rookie quarterback?

Was Feeley a good pickup by the Rams?
    sigpic

Re: Not feeling it from Feeley

Originally posted by dgr828 View Post
    Feeley went back to Philly and got beat out for the 2nd string spot by an aging Jeff Garcia...Seriously, Garcia would be a better fit for the Rams right now.
    Both were available, and the Rams opted for Feeley. Garcia hasn't been on an NFL roster since September of last year.

Originally posted by dgr828 View Post
    How long will AJ Feeley be needed to keep the QB seat warm for SAM?

Could AJ Feeley surprisingly have a breakout year?

Will AJ Feeley be a good mentor for a rookie quarterback?

Was Feeley a good pickup by the Rams?
    1) If he's still starting at the bye week, I'll be stunned. It's possible he may not even be the opening day starter, depending on how Sam looks in camp and the pre-season. Personally I'd like to see Sam starting by Week 3 or 4 if not earlier, assuming he's ready.

2) Depends on how you define breakout, but I doubt he does anything spectacular. As long as he's better than Kyle Boller...

3) Hard for a fan to say one way or the other, but I don't have any reason to believe he wouldn't be. He's a veteran player who has spent time around the league and knows how things work. He knows why he was brought in here.

4) I think so, yes. He gives the Rams a veteran presence, someone who is familiar with the system, and has shown the ability to play when needed.

Comment

Its obvious Feeley was brought in to help accelerate the Bradford learning curve and to play if needed without having to learn the offense. I think it was a very solid signing that brought in a veteran who clearly (from interviews) knows what he was brought in for and is willing to help Bradford as well as being eager to play if it comes down to it.

Comment

While I believe Bradford will become a much, much better quarterback than Feeley ever was... I don't think there would be much difference between the two for the first several games.

I just don't think Spags will expect an experienced back-up or a rookie starter to go out and win a game as much as manage it.

I know everyone wants the bombs but I think for at least the first half of the season we will see more safe and smart plays instead of spectacular.

Except when Jackson breaks it for big yards.

Comment

Honestly, I don't expect to see a winning record from the Rams this year. I really don't believe Feely can get it done, but at this time, he IS our best option at QB. I know I'd rather Feely start than Bradford, because if our O line can't get it together right away, Feely isn't the future QB. I know it sounds bad, but I'd rather keep Bradford safe from injury and risk Feely.
          I think that when Bradford goes in, we still won't have a winning record, but it will give him experience. Next year, I DO expect to see a BIG improvement in the win/loss column.
          temp_4394_1467243487543_20
          RAMS!

Comment

Originally posted by RamsFanSam View Post
            Honestly, I don't expect to see a winning record from the Rams this year. I really don't believe Feely can get it done, but at this time, he IS our best option at QB. I know I'd rather Feely start than Bradford, because if our O line can't get it together right away, Feely isn't the future QB. I know it sounds bad, but I'd rather keep Bradford safe from injury and risk Feely.
            I think that when Bradford goes in, we still won't have a winning record, but it will give him experience. Next year, I DO expect to see a BIG improvement in the win/loss column.
            Sad day in rams history when the get wrote off before even training camp begins. I hope to help everyone pick their jaw up off the floor when the rams show everyone what they got.

Comment

I understand that Feeley will don the #4 for the Rams this season, does that make him the Poor man's Brett Favre? That could be a good thing if so.
              One things for sure, AJ has been given a chance to shine and has a golden opportunity to show that he's put it all together and for once in his career can run the show as a true #1 starter.
              A dream scenario would have Feeley finding success, early in the season, giving Sam time to observe the Pro game from the sidelines.
              I'm torn between accepting AJ as the Starting QB vs throwing SAM into the fire right away.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sjacksonrules View Post
                Sad day in rams history when the get wrote off before even training camp begins. I hope to help everyone pick their jaw up off the floor when the rams show everyone what they got.
                what do they have more than last year? Rook QB, Rook LT or RT, not knocking you for hope but exactly what will make my jaw fall to the ground this year?

Comment

Let's not forget...with tears in my eyes " Kurt Warner will be our starting quarterback and we will play good football".

Just saying, of all the teams in the NFL our RAMS are due to surprise us again. I'm not saying that Feeley is the man but one never knows.

Can I get a ....Let's go A.J.?!
                  sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

I'm not going to lie, Freely hasn't given me a reason to have faith in him. But, there is no way I'm going to write the guy off before I even see him play.

Cut the guy some slack, until he screws up.

Comment

Originally posted by BEER View Post
                      what do they have more than last year? Rook QB, Rook LT or RT, not knocking you for hope but exactly what will make my jaw fall to the ground this year?
                      Its not aboutw what we have more than last year as far as names (although i could give you a nice list you seemed to have overlooked), its really about you not having a clue which of our young talent's light bulbs are going to click on.

Guys do get better with experience ya know? You can't..can't can't can't write people off without having a clue what your talking about. Seriously. What kind of sense does it make to say the Rams won't do much before they've even gotten into pads...

Comment

Originally posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
                        Its not aboutw what we have more than last year as far as names (although i could give you a nice list you seemed to have overlooked), its really about you not having a clue which of our young talent's light bulbs are going to click on.

Guys do get better with experience ya know? You can't..can't can't can't write people off without having a clue what your talking about. Seriously. What kind of sense does it make to say the Rams won't do much before they've even gotten into pads...
                        It makes about as much sense as saying the Rams will do much better before they've even gotten into pads. Neither side knows until it actually happens, and both sides can point to reasons they feel support their case. There's no need to tell someone they don't have a clue what they're talking about just because their opinion about an unknown is different than yours at this point.

I mean, the Lions made some improvements after their zero-win season in 2008, but they still only managed two wins in 2009. The comment was that the doubters would be picking their jaws up off the floor based on what the Rams accomplish this season. Considering we're talking about a team with six wins over the last three years, is it really so outrageous that someone would dare question such a statement? Not really.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambunctious View Post
                          I just don't think Spags will expect an experienced back-up or a rookie starter to go out and win a game as much as manage it.

I hope managing the game isnt anything like last year. Like on 3rd an 9 and we repeatedly ran a shotgun draw in almost EVERY game. It was so bad Im sittig at home looking at the game and I knew it was coming.... I might as well be a defensive coordinator lol. But as far as feely and sam, id take anyone over Bulger!!

Comment

I was often unsure last year, when things went wrong which they...um...occasionally did, if whatever QB really knew what he was doing & the receivers/protection were off or vice versa. Seems to me the Philly-trained Feeley should help clarify that much more important question , even if only through TC and preseason. Which is a plus over last year,imo. And yet, let's face it, if Feeley is still starting after the bye, it's more likely that we'll be talking about the biggest lemon ever produced in Oklahoma, not the new Warner.

It also occurs to me that the nice contract AJ received indicates a serious vote of confidence from DeSpags. They don't seem to overpay/acquire players out of panic. It remains to be seen, of course, whether they are using their familiarity with guys like Feeley to make sound football choices or playing it too safe.

Given their track record so far, I'm gonna plunk for the former.Jeez, if Pollyanna can't twirl in her summer frock in July, what's the point of it all?

Personally, I don't see any reason why AJ won't be the new Pederson. No idea whether Bradford is the new McNabb & whether the rest of the group is as ready as that Philly squad was is another question altogether. Feeley isn't going to be THE difference either way,imo,but he's more likely to help than hinder,imo.
                            Last edited by Azul e Oro; -07-12-2010, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                              It makes about as much sense as saying the Rams will do much better before they've even gotten into pads. Neither side knows until it actually happens, and both sides can point to reasons they feel support their case. There's no need to tell someone they don't have a clue what they're talking about just because their opinion about an unknown is different than yours at this point.

I mean, the Lions made some improvements after their zero-win season in 2008, but they still only managed two wins in 2009. The comment was that the doubters would be picking their jaws up off the floor based on what the Rams accomplish this season. Considering we're talking about a team with six wins over the last three years, is it really so outrageous that someone would dare question such a statement? Not really.
                              Nick, I applaud your defense of a fellow Clanram member. But in this case I have to draw the line with the other guys. I am sick of reading how we stink, how bad we are, the rams won 6 games over how many years, that we arent any good ect. It's flat sad. How about standing up for our team.

If you really believe this, "the Rams dont stand a chance " please don't be afraid and root for another team. How does it make you feal to post how crappy the Rams are and then put their jerseys on. I hope you all nay sayers are happy. I, however, don't think we are as bad as you all think. Please look at the bright side of our team for once. There is potental there. We stand as good a chance as being 9-7 as 1-15 again. Can we have one post on here that does not say 6 and what ever. Just one that does not try to bring down those that see a bright future. Please.

Can we at least lose the games first before you rag on us. All I ask is for some love for the team you claim to be a fan of. When I think of the Rams I still see Eric D running through the line of the Dallas Cowboys on their way to super bowl XX, I still see Flipper Anderson run into the locker room after we beat the Giants to advance to the Championship game in 1989, I still see Issac Bruce crying on the sideline after we beat the ninners in 1999, I still see the foot of the Titans player firmly in the hand of our defense at the end of Super bowl XXXIV.

Those days are not forgotten in the heart of this Soldier. Have you forgotten? I say brighter days are ahead. I say we win 9 out of 16 games this year. Why, because I'm a Rams fan, thats why!:helmet:

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• MauiRam
                                A.J. Feeley holds Rams No. 1 QB spot — for now ..
                                by MauiRam
                                BY JIM THOMAS Friday, August 6, 2010 12:10 am

"Just like I stated all spring, if we played today — I'm sticking with it — if we played today, A.J. would be the guy. Maybe I should put that on tape."

Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo has been so unwavering in that answer that he hasn't even been asked about it since the start of training camp last week.

But in the grand scheme of things, A.J. Feeley knows he's merely keeping the seat warm at quarterback. A 10-year veteran of the NFL who is well-schooled in the West Coast scheme, Feeley can be a valuable mentor for No. 1 overall pick Sam Bradford.

Then again, Feeley wants to play. He doesn't want to help Bradford too much, does he?

"I want to help him out as much as he wants to be helped out," Feeley said. "But everybody wants to play. If you don't want to play, you shouldn't be in this position. It's what you do."

But Feeley is quick to add: "The nature of playing quarterback is you help each other out in the meeting room. Those guys that don't have good meeting rooms, where the guys don't get along, that's where bad things happen. But we have a great group."

Feeley, 33, is surrounded by two rookies — Bradford and Thaddeus Lewis — and second-year man Keith Null in the meeting room at Rams Park. That's a lot of inexperience.

"My mind-set going into this thing is to get this team ready to play," Feeley said. "And offensively, it's to go in there and be the guy and run with it. But in the meeting room and outside of that, I'm there to help those guys out as much as possible."

That mind-set explains in part why the Rams signed Feeley to a two-year, $6 million free-agent contract in March. They feel he's someone capable of starting a few games if need be until Bradford is deemed ready. But his knowledge of the offense — and the coaches — should help Bradford get ready.

"Feeley's being something like a big brother to Sam is the best way I can put it," rookie wide receiver Mardy Gilyard said. "He's the leader of the bunch. He's the No. 1 guy. He knows his checks. He's confident in his throws. He's telling our receivers exactly where he's going to put the ball and how we should run our routes.

"And Sam, he has a lot to learn. That's why I'm glad that we have A.J. here so Sam can be able to cling on his leg in a sense and learn everything he can learn."

During the summer break from mid-June to reporting day last week, Feeley worked at home in San Diego with noted quarterback trainer Todd Durkin.

"He works out a bunch of quarterbacks — Drew (Brees), Aaron Rodgers, all those guys," Feeley said.

Feeley trained in the morning with Durkin, and then again in the afternoon. It was his own pre-camp version of two-a-days,...
                                -08-06-2010, 12:34 AM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Feeley Out This Week
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Feeley Out This Week
                                Sunday, August 22, 2010

By Nick Wagoner
                                Senior Writer

With the relentless pounding of the rain all around him making for wet and wild conditions on the grass field at Cleveland Browns Stadium on Saturday night, Rams quarterback A.J. Feeley couldn’t help but think of days past spent playing in the sandlot with his buddies.

“You have to look at the situation with the elements and the weather (and enjoy it),” Feeley said. “It was like backyard football. It is what it is. You have to make the most of it and use it to your advantage. There might be a situation this year where we have to play in the same kind of weather and we have been there, done that.”

Although his stay in the Rams’ 19-17 win against the Browns was brief, Feeley clearly was having a good time on his only series of the night.

In the aftermath of struggling with the rest of the first team offense in his limited repetitions against the Vikings – he was three of six for 19 yards in two series - Feeley made it clear that he wasn’t pleased with his performance.

Like any competitor, Feeley spent last week itching to get back on the field and had coach Steve Spagnuolo pushing for he and his teammates to get off to a much quicker start against the Browns.

Before he even stepped on the field, Feeley was buoyed by the presence of running back Steven Jackson in the backfield. He says it was noticeable how much respect Cleveland’s defense paid to Jackson and it was clear how that could loosen things up for him to find open receivers.

“It was great,” Feeley said. “Having that guy in the backfield takes a load off. You can definitely see they respect him when he’s back there. Anytime you motion to give him the ball they are going to respect that. As a quarterback, that makes it a little bit easier.”

With Jackson behind him and a healthy offensive line consisting of the five players the Rams would like to start the season with, Feeley came out firing.

He hit tight end Billy Bajema for a 16-yard gain on the first offensive play from scrimmage. Four plays later, he stood strong in the pocket as Browns linebacker Chris Gocong came free up the middle and delivered a strike to Danny Amendola for 7 yards and a first down on third-and-2 to extend the drive.

Feeley came up shaken from the hit and holding his right (throwing) elbow. The injury would put Feeley on the sideline for the rest of the game but not until he finished his initial drive and completed the task of getting off to a fast start.

“(It was) just one of those things,” Feeley said. “I figured if I gave it a little time the pain would go away. We were lucky enough to get it in the end zone a couple of plays later. The guy came through free in the middle. He took his helmet and hit me in the elbow. It was just one of...
                                -08-23-2010, 03:55 PM
                              • MauiRam
                                Kudos to Feeley !!
                                by MauiRam
                                Haven't heard anyone clamoring for Thaddeus Lewis lately. A.J. played pretty well against New Orleans last Sunday, and only (IMO) figures to improve with additional reps with the first team offense. Hopefully A.J. and Brandon Lloyd will hone their timing on deep and fly routes this week. The fact that we beat a good team with A.J. at the helm is going to do wonders for overall team confidence.

Obviously Sam is our starting quarterback, but it is nice to know our backup isn't chopped liver. I am hoping J-Mac cooks up a few specialty dishes for Arizona next Sunday featuring Feeley, Lloyd and Alexander in heretofore unseen scenarios. (I don't think Spags and crew will bring Sam back until his ankle has healed properly).

On two occasions Lloyd had clearly beaten New Orlean's coverage deep and would have scored had Feeley hit him in stride. I doubt those instances will be lost on opposing DCs in upcoming games. This is precisely the sort of thing that will help Steven Jackson get loose. I am actually looking forward to this Sunday's game! Yes .. I'll admit that I thought the Rams would be administered another drubbing by N.O. Lord !! How sweet it is to be wrong !!!
                                -11-01-2011, 11:46 AM
                              • MauiRam
                                Spags says Feely is the #1 quarterback .... for now ..
                                by MauiRam
                                By Bill Coats
                                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                                05/21/2010

Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo was careful to leave no room for doubt. "If we played a game today," he declared Thursday, "A.J. (Feeley) would be our quarterback."

That was hardly a revelation. Feeley is well-versed in the offensive scheme that coordinator Pat Shurmur imported from Philadelphia, Feeley's home for six of his 10 NFL seasons.

Conversely, rookie Sam Bradford's pro experience consists of five practices at rookie minicamp and two during organized team activities this week at Rams Park.

But make no mistake: The Rams didn't spend the No. 1 overall pick in last month's draft — and eventually millions of dollars — on Bradford so that he could back up a 33-year-old journeyman who hasn't taken a regular-season snap since 2007.

"It's inevitable that this is going to be Sam's team," Feeley conceded. "When that time comes ... who knows right now?"

It could be awhile. Spagnuolo doesn't simply dole out starting jobs to rookies. For example, the Rams' top two draftees last year, tackle Jason Smith and linebacker James Laurinaitis, didn't receive first-team promotions until relatively late in the preseason.

Bradford, who has worked with the second and third units at OTAs, figures to get similar treatment. So for the time being, this is Feeley's team. And he wants to make as much of that as he can.

"I have a goal, I have ambitions, I want to win games ... and I want to play," Feeley said. "When you're a guy in this league, that's all you look for: an opportunity to compete."

Spagnuolo said Feeley has "a pretty good command of what we're doing. I can see that just when I stand there and we're doing the walk-throughs, the jog-throughs. I had seen him before in the huddle and operate in game situations. So, myself and Pat were real comfortable with that."

Spanguolo was the Eagles' defensive backs coach when Feeley was there from 2001-03. After two seasons in Miami and one in San Diego, Feeley returned to Philadelphia for another three-year stint, 2006-08. He was with Carolina last season.

A free-agent signee who received a two-year deal worth a reported $6 million, Feeley has spent virtually his entire career as a backup. He's appeared in 23 games, with 15 starts. He's thrown for 4,070 yards and 27 touchdowns, with 29 interceptions. His passer rating is 69.6.

The Rams were enticing, he said, because of his familiarity with the offense, plus the chance to run the first team ... for a while, anyway.

"It's an opportunity to try to get this thing going, and for me personally, it's been awhile since I've been in that position. So I'll try to make the most of it," he said. Still, he acknowledged that his duties include tutoring...
                                -05-20-2010, 11:40 PM
                              • MauiRam
                                Bradford credits Feeley for helping him ..
                                by MauiRam
                                BY BILL COATS
                                Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:30 am

Veteran A.J. Feeley scoffs at the notion that he's had any impact on the rapid development of fellow Rams quarterback Sam Bradford, the NFL's offensive player of the year in 2010.

"Sam's a really bright guy and an amazing quarterback; you could see that from day one when he came in here," Feeley said. "He's mature beyond his years, he's got all the physical tools, he's got the charisma, he's got the moxie. He's got everything you could possibly want in a quarterback."

Bradford tells a different story, however.

"A.J.'s been awesome," he said. "Last year he helped a ton, just getting me going, telling me what to expect, what the games were going to be like, telling me what to do during the week to get myself prepared. This year it's been the same thing, too: helping me with reading defenses, telling me what to expect in certain coverages, how he sees things. ...

"To have a guy like him who's been around for 11 years and who has seen a lot of football, it's invaluable."

The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Feeley, 34, arrived here as a free-agent signee shortly before the Rams made Bradford the No. 1 overall pick in the draft. A fifth-round draft choice by Philadelphia in 2001, the former Oregon standout has been a backup virtually his entire career.

Playing with five different teams, Feeley has started just 15 games. Eight of those came in 2004 with Miami. He hasn't taken a snap in a regular-season game since 2007 with the Eagles.

Still, he has to prepare just like the starter, despite getting fewer reps in practice. He has to study the opponent, digest the game plan and be ready to step in at a moment's notice.

"I don't know if you become accustomed to" the role, Feeley said. "You understand the nature of it. ... You don't embrace being a backup; you're competitive and you want to be the guy. But there's something in you that understands this is a team game and everybody plays a role. You understand that there's a bigger picture involved."

So Feeley just grinds on.

"If you come to work every day with the approach of trying to get better and trying to make yourself the best quarterback you possibly can, I think things kind of take care of themselves," he explained. "I think everybody around you sees it, and it's nice to have guys in the background thinking, 'If something were to happen, we have a guy in place that could still run the show.'"

Feeley spent part of his summer in Germany. His wife, Heather Mitts, was a defender on the U.S. women's soccer team that finished second in the World Cup. The highlight, Feeley said, was the Americans' stunning comeback in the quarterfinals vs. Brazil that ended with a victory on penalty kicks.
                                -08-25-2011, 10:14 AM
                              Working...
                              X