• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sources: Rams in pursuit of Terrell Owens

Sources: Rams intensify Owens talks
    By Chris Mortensen
    ESPN
    Saturday, July 24, 2010

The St. Louis Rams have intensified discussions in hopes of signing free agent Terrell Owens, according to sources close to the player and team.

The Cincinnati Bengals, as reported by ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, are also engaged in talks with Owens.

The Bengals signed free-agent receiver Antonio Bryant during the offseason but Bryant has struggled so far. According to a team source, that has motivated the Bengals to take another look at Owens.

One source said the Rams have gotten very aggressive in their pursuit of Owens and it's possible that Owens will sign with the Rams or Bengals within the next 48 to 72 hours.

Chris Mortensen is ESPN's senior NFL analyst.
    I don't think that Owens would be a good fit in terms of Spags' Four Pillars, nor do I know how good of a role model he'd be as a veteran presence for a young group of receivers. But this is the report that's out there, and Mortensen notes on Twitter that both Rams HC Spagnuolo and OC Shurmur were both in Philly when TO was there.

Re: Sources: Rams in pursuit of Terrell Owens

Originally posted by Nick View Post
    I don't think that Owens would be a good fit in terms of Spags' Four Pillars, nor do I know how good of a role model he'd be as a veteran presence for a young group of receivers. But this is the report that's out there, and Mortensen notes on Twitter that both Rams HC Spagnuolo and OC Shurmur were both in Philly when TO was there.
    Can't say I'm thrilled over this news - as to put it as charitably as possible - I've never been a fan of Owens .. I'll venture this though - it might be fun having him around when we play the whiners ...

Comment

This is pretty good news. I mean sure, he had a bad immature problem, but that was years back. What did he say or do when he was on the bills?

He can provide a good #1 WR for us, hopefully teach the younger guys, and give us 1 year of a decently balanced attack and a upgrade and depth. Maybe this could be a really good thing.

I hope we sign him and he produces.

Comment

I think I just threw up in my mouth

Comment

For some reason I really dont mind these news. I think he has grown up lately and he can be a great possesion receiver. The only problem is if the season doesnt go well at the beginning he might go sour and I dont his influence on young Sam.

Comment

If Spags thinks that T.O is better than what we currently have then I don't have a problem with signing him.

Could give Bradford a number 1 receiver that other teams will respect.

If nothing else it will stop teams loading the box with 8 or 9 players to stop Jackson.

Comment

Rams in "serious pursuit" of T.O.
              Posted by Mike Florio on July 24, 2010 4:16 PM ET
              In a recent interview with Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports, Rams running back Steven Jackson sung the praises of a couple of the team's young wideouts.

Unfortunately, Jackson didn't know their names.

Jackson likely knows the name of a veteran wideout who could soon be joining the team. Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports, and we separately have confirmed, that the Rams are in "serious pursuit" of Terrell Owens.

Owens has talked openly about playing for a contender. In recent years, the Rams have contended only for the first overall pick in the draft, finishing at No. 2 twice before finally applying that extra effort required to climb that specific mountain.

Along the way, the Rams have won a total of six games in three seasons, bottoming out at 1-15 in 2009.

The competitive limitations that the Rams are experiencing likely means that T.O. will want more money from the Rams than other teams would have to pay. It has been widely believed that Owens seeks $5 million for 2010.

The Rams' interest proves that not every member of the 2004-05 Eagles coaching staff has adopted an N.F.W. approach to a reunion with T.O. Head coach Steve Spagnuolo served as linebackers coach and offensive coordinator Pat Shurmer was the quarterbacks coach in Philly when Owens had a great first season, followed by a Year Two nightmare culminating in a four-game unpaid suspension and an invitation to get the hell out for the rest of the campaign, with pay.

In contrast, Spagnuolo and Shurmur had no interest in trading for long-time Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb.

The Bengals also are interested in Owens, and it's expected that the situation will heat up this week. Apparently, it already is.

Comment

I like it. TO wants to win and he gets an attitude because he wants the ball. the move helps AVERY and Jackson. Also, bradford/feeley won't have less options but more options. Last season TO did not have a good season and had 800+ yards....Avery had 589 yards. I like it.

Comment

Per NFL.com

Several NFL teams, including the St. Louis Rams and Cincinnati Bengals, have maintained contact with free-agent wide receiver Terrell Owens this offseason. However, a Rams source scoffed at a report that the team was in serious pursuit of Owens or aggressively courting him, calling it "overzealous."

Also, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis was dismissive of the idea of signing Owens during a Tuesday interview with the team's official Web site. Said Lewis: "We've been down that road. I don't have a concern that we need to add anybody (at receiver)."

Owens has made no secret of his desire to join Chad Ochocinco in Cincinnati and visited the Bengals early in the offseason, but they haven't offered a deal that has gotten his attention. Owens' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, also said Friday that a report the receiver would sign with the Bengals and a deal was imminent was "not true."

The reality is any team that truly wanted Owens could make a substantial offer and expedite a move. And at this stage in free agency -- six months into the process for a healthy player such as Owens -- there isn't a whole lot of courting and pursuing that needs to be done. Rosenhaus sent out communications to all NFL teams throughout the offseason, letting them know the general salary parameters that his clients, including Owens, are seeking.

Furthermore, Owens is trying to catch on with a contender if all possible, and teams such as the Rams and Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- who could use him -- don't meet that criteria. It's also unlikely that those teams would make a substantial financial contribution for a 36-year-old player who in essence would be a one-year rental.

"It has to be the right situation for me," Owens told NFL Network's Stacey Dales on Friday. "I'm going in on my 15th season, so I want to go to a team that's on the cusp of making it to the playoffs and really having a team really want me and feel that I can come in and be an asset to their ballclub. Other than that, I'm still working out and keeping myself in shape, and I'll be ready."

Still, it would be stunning if Owens isn't signed at some point during training camp and the preseason. Rosenhaus has said he anticipates a deal in the coming week or weeks.

Comment

I really don't know wheter this is a good idea or not...

On one side he can provide some much needed Offence even though he hadn't had a great season with the Bills. But with our current receivers we should be grateful to (probably) get a receive of this caliber.

The other side is his character. He had some problems with pretty every team he has been with. And i'm not sure if it's a good thing for Bradford. He definitely is going to be the #1 receiver but i don't know if he's not going to yell to Bradford at every huddle just to get the ball...

Anyway, we'll see within the next days if it's going to happen. And for the case he's going to be with the rams next season we just to wait to find out if he provides some help for our young guys.

greetz from Austria

Comment

I wouldn't mind having Terrell on the field for one season. He would really open up the field for the other receivers and give us a true number one threat.

Also, I don't think he would have as much to complain about as everyone is implying. He knows that the Rams have the worst record in the NFL and are going through a rebuilding process. I mean seriously, what's he going to say? I didn't know what I was getting into.

Personally, I'd be REALLY surprised if he signed with us anyways, for guys like him it's about the glory and the money, not just the money.

I will tell you one thing, between adding Bradford and Owens the Rams sure would get a lot more media time, which I expect is one of the coaching staffs reasons for chasing him. The front office has been to cheap to chase anyone else, what other reason could they have for chasing a thirty six year old diva?
                      Last edited by mikhal5569; -07-24-2010, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Please DON'T bring this cancer to the RAMS.....I want the team to take 2 steps forward not 10 steps back.

Comment

T.O. ... yes! Championship!
                          LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Comment

Originally posted by LaRamsFanLongTime View Post
                            I think I just threw up in my mouth
                            Same thing I did when Vick's name was mentioned. This time, I didn't...I went fishing last weekend for catfish, using chicken livers. Guess who left them in the cooler, sitting out in the hot sun all week?

Yep, Tawn did. After I opened up that cooler and survived, I figured I could read about this rumor and it wouldn't be as bad.

It was close....but week-old chicken livers sitting in a closed cooler in 100 degree heat barely edged this out for puke-worthiness...but not by much.
                            temp_4394_1467243487543_20
                            RAMS!

Comment

Hey guys - Not sure if you guys realized but we've won 3 of 32 games and one of those we needed a fake field goal to beat the 2nd worst team in the league (us being the first). Beggars can't be choosers - the guy has never been arrested or in trouble with the law and pushed others to compete.

The guy didn't disrupt in Buffalo and he is still incredibly talented.

Bring him IN!

Comment