X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Practice 14 – Head Coach Steve Spagnuolo – 8/10/10

Tuesday, August 10 2010 @ 08:27 PM CDT

Contributed by: Shaky

“Really, we got through pretty clean in this practice today. Last night I didn’t visit with you and I know you know (DE) Eugene Sims had a little hamstring tighten up on him, so he’s kind of day-to-day, which is disappointing from my point-of-view because I thought he was doing a really good job. These are reps you’re never going to get back as a young guy. I believe other than that, everything’s status quo. We kind of had to adjust a little bit today and improvise. I thought the guys did a good job. We had planned to go in full pads and then go down to shells, so that part wasn’t any different. We were not going to be in here at the beginning, but I thought it worked out pretty good. I thought the coaches did a great job, the equipment people, the trainers. We came in and had a pretty good practice when…what did it do outside? Lightning though, right? Good, because otherwise I would’ve felt bad coming in. It was the lightning we were really most concerned about.”

(On if he had to be convinced to bring the team indoors)

“No, a couple of bolts ran there…(Head Athletic Trainer) Reggie (Scott) gave me the, ‘I think we’re treading on tough territory,’ so we came in.”

(On how he would characterize his three rookie DEs)

“Young. They’re all working at it. They’ve all got little things they’ve got to learn. Probably for all three of them, it’s playing what we call a ‘six technique,’ playing head up on the tight end and playing the run game. All three of them flash pretty good in the pass game and they know they’ve got to do that, but it’s probably the run game where they need the most reps and need the most work.”

(On how he sees the competition at TE stacking up)

“I’ll tell you what, I was kind of going through that a little bit myself yesterday morning or one of these mornings and…very stiff. We’ve got five guys. The young guys are pretty good football players. You’ve got three guys that have played in the league a little bit. Billy (Bajema) and Danny (Fells) were here with us last year. Darcy (Johnson) has played a lot in the NFL. That’s a good position to watch.”

(On Bajema in particular and the kind of camp he’s having)

“He’s Billy; he has a solid camp. The other thing he adds to us is he’s the second long snapper, the second snapper. He does that with (special teams coordinator) Tom (McMahon). He’s made a few catches. His value, just like last year, he’s a solid guy. Came in, could block for us.”

(On Bajema’s blocking reputation despite his catching ability)

“I told him not to think that way, that we saw him as a tight end. In this offense, the tight end gets the ball thrown to him.”

(On DT Fred Robbins)

“In defense of the offensive linemen, when you only have the shells on and a big…that’s a little bit tough. The other thing you’ve got to remember about offensive line, they’re at a little bit of a disadvantage. We’re not cutting each other. In some of those zone schemes we’re not really cutting each other, but Freddy’s a good football player and I’m glad he had a good day.”

(On he and GM Billy Devaney discussing K Josh Brown’s situation)

“Not right now. We’ll probably go for the same route again tomorrow. We’ll have to see when we get close to Thursday/Friday if we have to get somebody else in here to kick.”

(On QB Sam Bradford’s minutes on Saturday against the Vikings)

“He’s obviously going to get some. A.J. (Feeley) is going to begin. He’ll get some work with the 1’s, I’m talking about Sam now. Then we’ll see where we’re at. I’m not sure how long into that first half he’ll go. We still want to get Keith (Null) and Thad (Lewis)…we’ll get all the guys some work. We’ll just kind of play it by ear. We’ll have a numbers count in our mind by Thursday or Friday. Don’t have that right now.”

(On how important it is to get Bradford work with the first unit)

“Yeah, I think it’s important and we’ll do that.”

(On if he feels Bradford is where he wants him to be right now)

“Yeah, and in some throws a little beyond it. He made some good throws today. He sees the field really well. Things are starting to…the game is slowing down. Now, I say that…this is practice now. I should say the practice is slowing down for him. We’ve still got to get him in a game.”

(On if he takes into account the opinions of media members on when Bradford should start)

“Everybody should have an opinion. That’s what makes the NFL game here interesting. We’ll do what we think is right and we’ll do it based on what’s going on on the field.”

(On CB Ron Bartell)

“He did some individual, and I think he did some other stuff against receivers on a low…he’s just going to work his way in there.”

(On his rookies from the University of South Florida, DE George Selvie and CB Jerome Murphy)

“They’ve got a long ways to go, they’re both rookies. Both of them are playing tough positions. A defensive end in the NFL and a corner in the NFL are on that island. It’s not easy to do as a young guy. I think (Defensive Backs Coach) Clayton Lopez is doing a good job. (Coaching Intern) Sam Madison is here helping him out. He’s been a big help for Jerome.”

(On if OT Jason Smith has progressed to the point where he’s fully practicing)

“It’s a day-to-day thing. Today was a one-a-day, so he would go the whole practice. When we shut it down to shells, you feel a little bit better about him getting in there so I think Reggie felt like he could get most of the reps. Every day you get him a little bit more and then find out how the foot responds when he goes in there so I’m sure Reggie’s asking him right now.”

(On if Smith will play on Saturday)

“I would say the percentages are low. That might be a little extreme. You don’t want to push him out there and have him set back, but Reggie will kind of…Reggie and Jason will kind of make that call.”

(On if it’s good to see Smith with the starters)

“I think it’s good for those guys to all be working together, making calls with each other, going in some…not live bullets, but a little bit of speed on defense. We all need the reps. Coaches need the reps. I need them. We do that fourth quarter drill and you’re doing the clock and all that, we all need them. We’ve got to get back…back oiled up, get ready for the season.”

(On the injuries to the offensive line)

“It feels like last year. We’re doing the same thing. Hopefully, knock on wood, the good Lord will take care of us and these things are just what we’re going to get now and we’ll get this team healthy.

(On if the injuries last year help make the adjustments now)

“Some of those guys aren’t here now. It’s a whole new deal. When you do get injured, guys get opportunities so guys become a little bit versatile.”

(On if WR Laurent Robinson has picked up where he left off)

“I think he’d tell you that he’s probably not running a hundred percent yet. When he does go full speed here, in his mind it’s not bothering him. That’s a good thing. I think it’s later on when he’s jogging around or walking off after practice is when he feels it.”

(On if he liked what he saw in Robinson last year)

“Oh yeah, I thought he was climbing.”

Post-Practice 14 – QB Sam Bradford – 8/10/10

(On whether the heat was catching up with the team)

“Yeah, it was definitely toasty out there last night. It was going to be hot out there again today, but to come inside, it’s kind of a nice break from the routine of being outside.”

(On whether the heat becomes a distraction)

“I’ve got to say I’m pretty fortunate at my position that the heat’s not nearly as big a factor as it is for our big guys and some of our skill guys. I mean, I can’t imagine what it’s like to run as much as a wide receiver does, or to be one of the big guys in the trenches battling it out in the heat out there. So I’m sure it does affect those guys, but definitely. Even a quarterback, it does get to you at times toward the end of practice.”

(On whether practice has slowed down for him at this point)

“You know, I think it is slowing down a little bit. I think that’s just because I’ve had more reps. I think I’ve repped about everything we have now. So after you do that, you go back and you run things for the second and the third time. Obviously, you’ve learned from what you’ve done the first time so you can get back to your third and fourth progression. So I really think that that’s helped. I think just me being comfortable has maybe slowed things down a bit.”

(On how he anticipates he will feel before the game Saturday)

“I’m probably going to be a little nervous. I’m definitely going to be excited. It’s going to be the first time I’ve gotten to step on a field for a real game since last year before I got hurt. It’s been a long time. I’m really looking forward to it. I’m really not sure how I’m going to feel, but I definitely know I’m going to be excited for it. I’m already looking forward to it and I can’t wait for Saturday to get here.”

(On whether he has seen Tim Tebow’s haircut)

“I have seen pictures of Tebow’s hair. Yes.”

(On whether he’s concerned about rookie hazing)

“No. It’s part of being a rookie, but I really hope that the guys around here haven’t noticed that and don’t plan to do that to me, but if they do it’s all part of it and I’ll take it in stride.”

(On what rookie hazing has already taken place)

“The first night I got here in front of everyone, they put me up there for punt returner one day but they told me not to touch the ball. So that really wasn’t that bad. It hasn’t been bad, but I’m sure as this season gets closer, things are going to pick up.”

(On what the rookies have planned for a talent show Thursday)

“I don’t know yet. It’s our rookie show, so we’re going to have to come together as a rookie class and put together something good. We haven’t really talked about it yet, but I’m sure tomorrow night we’ll probably be in there for awhile getting something together.”

(On whether he has any singing talent)

“Absolutely not. I think I can. I sing a lot when I’m in the car, I sing by myself, but I really don’t have a good voice.”

(On whether he gets any special exemption from having to run a lap after committing a penalty)

“No. We ask everyone on the team that, if you mess up, to take a lap. I messed up, took a lap, and that’s part of it.”

(On whether he thinks that policy is a good idea)

“Yeah, I think it’s a great idea. It keeps everyone accountable for their actions. It makes sure everyone is one the same page. Pre-snap penalties, we know that they hurt us, so to eliminate those is something we need to do as an offense.”

(On whether it’s fun to play with a young receiving corps)

“Yeah, definitely. It’s been exciting for me just to get to gel with this wide receiving group. I think we have a great corps of receivers here. It’s been fun to see their progress with mine in the last week, week and a half. I think they’re really coming along. When you watch the film and you see things coming together, and you see the timing quick and you see the routes that week talk about in meetings. When everyone starts running them the right way and I anticipate and the quarterbacks anticipate things the right way, it really makes things fun.”

(On whether he’s picked out a song to sing in the rookie talent show)

“A song to sing? No, not yet.”

(On whether Brandon McRae is the type of receiver who is able to use his size to his advantage)

“Yeah, he’s definitely made some plays for us. I think a great instance of that was we were in the red zone last week and I threw a corner up to him, and to be honest I really thought I missed it. He went up out of nowhere and just grabbed it. So I think you’re right, I think he is a big body who has got a lot of athletic ability and can go up and get the ball.”

(On whether the light switch went on for Bradford last Thursday)

“If it was at that point, the only thing I can think of is you know, I was five or six days into it. Like I said, at that point we had repped a lot of things. I was starting to get repeat reps at certain plays. I really think once you start to get multiple reps over certain plays is when you really start to progress as a quarterback.”

(On whether he thinks he’s ready for Saturday)

“Yeah. I think I’m as ready as I’m going to be. I think, obviously, we have three more days of preparation for it and I think if I continue to make strides like I have up until this point I think I will be ready. But until we get out there in a game situation going against a different defense we’ll never know. So we’ll find out Saturday.”

Re: Post Practice 14 – Head Coach Steve Spagnuolo – 8/10/10

All the injuries drive me crazy! We are overdue for some luck in the lack of injuries department.
    sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• MauiRam
      Post Practice 12 – Head Coach Steve Spagnuolo – 8/9/10
      by MauiRam
      Tuesday, August 10 2010 @ 10:58 AM CDT
      Post Practice 12 – Head Coach Steve Spagnuolo – 8/9/10

“You guys saw that (K) Josh Brown wasn’t out there kicking. He tweaked his hip, it’s going to be a day-to-day thing. There’s no sense in putting him out there to kick the ball. Now, I do think it’s good what we did because somewhere along the way that could happen in the middle of the game. (Special teams coordinator) Tom (McMahon) has worked to find a second kicker, it has been (WR) Jordan (Kent), it has been (TE) Danny (Fells) so I think it was good for those guys, maybe a blessing in disguise. (OT) Ryan McKee tweaked his back, didn’t go back in. (OT) Adam Goldberg…I’m going to say a hyper-extended elbow. (Head athletic trainer) Reggie (Scott) is going to MRI it and we’ll know a little bit more. Adam thinks he’ll be fine, but let’s wait and see what the pictures tell us. I thought they worked at it pretty good coming off a scrimmage at night. When I say a day off, they did lift and run yesterday so it wasn’t a full day off. They watched the film, but their bodies kind of had a day off. I thought they reacted pretty well this morning so we’ll get back out here again tonight and get another good one in.”

(On his impressions of the scrimmage)

“What jumped out at me right away…the little things bothered me at the scrimmage. When I sat down and watched the film after that night, what jumped out as a positive, I thought the offense had some juice that first series, both (QB) A.J. (Feeley) took us down and (QB) Sam (Bradford) got us down there. The flip side of that is when you go against yourself, that means something wasn’t very good on the other side. I didn’t like the big plays given up by defense. I’m using my old term here…there was some good, there was some bad, and we’re cleaning those things up. The little things on offense bothered me, the illegal formations, and the big plays on defense. Other than that, it’s about what you would expect on a scrimmage in the first week of training camp.”

(On if he is still trying to get Bradford more reps)

“There will be a few more. (Quarterback coach) Dick (Curl), (offensive coordinator) Pat (Shurmur), and I talked about that yesterday. He was at about 31 percent of all the reps, which is a third of them, up until the scrimmage. He got a good 45 percent in the scrimmage, he had like 33 reps. I think the next closest guy was like 15. We’ll increase that percentage a little bit here. A.J. is going to get fine-tuned and stay oiled up, and Keith (Null) and Thad (Lewis) are competing so we’re going to give them enough to compete, too.”

(On if he is going to bring in a kicker for Saturday’s game)

“May have to. (GM) Billy (Devaney) and I are talking about that right now. We’ll just do this day-to-day and if it gets to…Tom feels like if we have to do that we could do it Thursday and Friday and be OK.”
      -08-10-2010, 09:02 AM
    • evil disco man
      Rams Interviews 8/4 & 8/5 (Spags, Bulger, Jackson)
      by evil disco man
      Morning Practice – Head Coach Steve Spagnuolo – August 4, 2009

(On if FB Mike Karney was injured)

“Yeah he had an ankle that he tweaked yesterday so we’re being cautionary. We kept him out.”

(On if CB Ron Bartell’s left leg was injured)

“He was fine in practice. Yeah I think he had a sleeve on there. I think that’s pretty much more precautionary than anything else. Or for looks. One or the other.”

(On S James Butler)

“He dinged his knee. He tried to come out and get through it but again more precautionary. Why put the stress on it now?”

(On if Butler will need an x-ray)

“I don’t think so but I will talk with (Head Athletic Trainer) Jim (Anderson) a little bit more on it.”

(On if he is ‘knocking on wood’ that no players have suffered any significant injuries during training camp)

“Yeah, where is the wood? Don’t do that. We’ll keep our fingers crossed on that. We still have a long way to go.”

(On if he wishes the weather was warmer)

“You know I am torn on that because the adage would be to get the hot weather to make it tougher on them but you know what, you get a lot of work done when the weather is like this (cool) because they are a little bit fresher. They get a little bit more in tune and not thinking of heat and just thinking about playing. Whatever the weather is we’re going to practice in it. We’ll take it.”

(On his evaluation of QB Marc Bulger’s accuracy)

“Steady. You hit the nail on the head. Accuracy. He is a very accurate quarterback. A couple throws the other day…I’m not sure how many other quarterbacks could have made those throws. If he keeps doing that and stays steady and (Offensive Coordinator) Pat (Shurmur) and (Assistant Head Coach and Quarterbacks Coach) Dick (Curl) keep working with him, he’ll be ok.”

(On RB Samkon Gado)

“Samkon is doing a good job. Smart veteran. He’s got some good size to him. He has been playing a little bit of fullback so it makes him a little versatile. In this league if you can do more than one thing, your rate of survival is a little bit better.”

(On if he thought today’s practice was sluggish)

“I thought today was OK. I didn’t really see indications of that. We were kind of bobbing and weaving in there around what was possibly rain so we had a plan to maybe run indoors. I was probably the sluggish one earlier because I was trying to decide whether to flip the schedule and move some team pairs around but luckily we got through OK.”

(On if moving indoors will prohibit any drills this afternoon)

It won’t affect this afternoon’s practice. No, that is pretty smooth because it is mostly team and the facility is great for that.”...
      -08-05-2009, 07:33 PM
    • RamWraith
      The Quote Sheet - Day 8
      by RamWraith
      Coach Scott Linehan
      August 3, 2006

(Opening statement) “Well, we got the practice in. We didn’t know if we were going to have to move in. They said there was a chance of storms but it turned out to be a pretty nice day. It was warm when we came out. We actually got a breeze and we were able to get a lot of things done. I thought the defense had a real good day. I thought the offense was sloppy. We can’t allow that to happen. We just didn’t finish very good, it was decent. We made some progress, got some new things in, worked on some situational football but we just got to be more focused on the details, especially on the offensive side of the ball. We’re going to work real hard at getting that corrected.”

(On why the offense ran after practice) “Sometimes you’ve just got to remind yourself that if we don’t pay attention to little things, big things can’t happen. I think that’s one of the things that really challenges you as a team when you start getting weary, start getting tired. You forget the little things that are important.”

(On adjusting the schedule tomorrow because of Saturday’s practice) “No, we’ll have two practices. The [Friday] night practice we’ll be practicing in shells, which is soft pads. Work a little seven-on-seven and mostly kicking game. Then on the scrimmage Saturday we’ll focus primarily with the first unit in a controlled scrimmage environment, ones-on-ones, work some run game, maybe a little red zone. Then we’ll scrimmage selected ones and twos and threes in a move-the-ball setting on Saturday morning.”

(On having officials at practice) “It reminds them, hey, get up on the ball. Keep your hands inside, you know all thing things that as you go through it, you can get a little sloppy because the officials aren’t watching that. We coach it, but they see things that they’re emphasizing. They start to be reminded of the presnap alignment things that they’re emphasizing, little flinches in the line, all those kinds of things you don’t want to have. For the most part we’re getting better there. We just had a couple instances of pre-snap penalties. You can’t have that. That’s the kind of thing that, you start moving backwards before you ever get the ball in your hands, you’re behind the eight ball, so we’ve got to work hard at not having those.”

(On how Ron Bartell’s ankle injury) “He’s got a sprain, and how serious is it, I don’t know. Right now all indications it’s a sprain.”

(On the plan with RB Moe Williams) “He’s got to condition while we practice. He took a lot of show team reps. He’ll get more reps as we go. You don’t want a guy that hasn’t been through an offseason program or through 10, 11 practices to go in right away, full speed and live tackle drills. We’ll go as we go. You’ve always got to pull Moe out of that environment and you’ve got to control that and be smart with him. It’ll be more conditioning...
      -08-03-2006, 06:54 PM
    • MauiRam
      Post Practice – Head Coach Steve Spagnuolo – 10/7/10 ..
      by MauiRam
      (Opening remarks)

“They did work pretty hard today, which is good to see on a Thursday. The weather’s beautiful. We got real lucky there. I’m just going to give you updates of changes. (LB) Chris Chamberlain did a little bit yesterday, but he didn’t do anything today because it bothered him. (CB) Justin King is battling a calf again. He had that a ways back. He’s aggravated it, so he was very limited there today, didn’t do much. (DT) Gary Gibson got back out there. He didn’t practice yesterday, and today the shoulder felt a little bit better so he went limited. And (OT) Rodger Saffold – I told you yesterday – he got banged in his left shin. It swelled on him. We didn’t know what it was. They checked it out. It seems to be OK. He went out there today. It’s bandaged up, or padded up, so he doesn’t take another hit and hopefully he’ll be able to play with that. With that I’ll open it up.”

(On P Donnie Jones’ status)
      “He’s doing all right. We’re just not punting him. We’re trying to get that thing to calm down a little bit, don’t want to use up all those punts during the week. I’d rather have him on Sunday.”

(On what if the team just goes through the motions without Jones during practice)
      “Yeah, we use the jugs machine. So he gets the snap and then away we go. Modern technology, jugs machines.”

(On DT Clifton Ryan’s status)
      “Optimistic for tomorrow, and I’ll leave it at that. The concern is the player. That’s the biggest thing.”

(On RB Steven Jackson’s workload)
      “It was upped a little bit from yesterday. We’re still not full-bore with what he’s doing just because you don’t want to set it back, but he seems to be OK. I didn’t actually get a chance to ask him today how he felt, but he got a number of reps.”

(On if CB Jerome Murphy will get an opportunity if King can’t play)
      “We’d probably go in that direction, because (CB) Kevin Dockery is still fighting that hamstring.”

(On the challenges that Detroit’s offense brings and what he thinks of WR Calvin Johnson)
      “A lot of skill. I think he’s terrific. I myself have had three migraines this week. He’s really good. I say it half-kidding, but he’s elite now. As big as he is, as fast as he runs, he’s got great hands. Throw the ball up, he finds a way to come down with it. I think he’s a real weapon, but they’ve got other weapons too, their tight end, their running back, the quarterback’s playing well. I think it’s a good offensive football team.”

(On what RB Jahvid Best brings to Detroit’s offense)
      “Quick. He makes that cut at the line of scrimmage, makes you miss, and then he can get to the second level really quick. He’s a speed guy. We knew that when we evaluated him coming out of college. They did a good job getting him.”

(On if he has ever faced QB Shaun Hill)
      “He was in San Francisco wasn’t he? He would have played...
      -10-08-2010, 12:44 AM
    • RamWraith
      Words from the coach
      by RamWraith
      Head Coach Scott Linehan

July 28, 2006

(On training camp thus far)

“Unfortunately we had to practice our emergency ‘go inside routine’, so we didn’t get to use the lights. They look nice, though. We’ll see if they work. Just a little wrap up: We talked yesterday after the first practice. We were a little flat, but we picked it up a great deal as far as our intensity and attention to detail. Our players certainly understand what we are asking and respond. Nobody’s backed down a bit. You could see the heat wear them down a bit today, but nobody ever really turned it in, which is what you’re looking for at this time of the year. I was relatively pleased the last two practices with where we’re headed.”

(On how players are dealing with the heat, in particular needing IVs)

“It’s not unusual. The heat index has been worse; it was worse last week. We checked it and knew it was safe to be out here. We script in a break, but we actually took two and got some wet towels. I think Jimmy (Kennedy) went in with some cramping. It’s not unusual for big guys. He’s doing an excellent job. He has his weight right where we asked him to be. He’s got a little ways to go before the start of the season. We haven’t had that many IVs; we’ll probably have few today, though. An afternoon practice in the heat usually gets them pretty good.”

(On the status of the number three spot on the depth chart at QB)

“It’s still early. Obviously, Ryan (Fitzpatrick) has an edge because he’s been here with the terminology we’re using and had reps with the centers. Dave (Ragone) has had a couple of quarterback exchange issues, but that happens when a guy hasn’t been taking snaps from somebody, especially competitive snaps. Some of those things will hamper Dave over Fitz. We were talking about it as coaches and that’s going to be a really interesting battle because both of them bring certain levels of talent that you really like. The intangible qualities of Fitz are great, plus he has the ability to move and run. My background with Dave, I know what kind of a competitor he is and his talent will continue to show more and more as he gets more comfortable with what we’re doing. There are a lot of similar things we did with him in college, but the terminology is quite different for him. So basically, he’s learning everything new until he gets that down. It’ll be a lot of fun watching those two guys compete.”

(On the effects of today’s practice on the TE battle)

“I think the two rookies (Dominique Byrd and Jim Klopfenstein) have made a lot of improvement from the first practice. Both last night and today, I’ve noticed them more. We’re still light years away in the run game and if you want to be able to run the football in this league, your tight ends have to block. If your tight ends don’t block, you’re...
      -07-28-2006, 07:56 PM
    Working...
    X