Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN's Tip Sheet on Bruce

ESPN TIPSHEET

Cornerbacks who have faced Isaac Bruce of the Rams this season contend the 11th-year veteran, who turns 32 next month, is quicker in and out of cuts than he has been the past couple of years. Certainly the numbers indicate that might be the case. Bruce is second in the NFL in catches (38) and receiving yards (526) and is taking full advantage of the attention secondaries have paid to Torry Holt, who most observers felt had surpassed him the last few seasons. "I'm not saying his speed was down the last few years, (because) that would be ridiculous given the numbers he put up, but he looks really explosive now," said Seattle cornerback Bobby Taylor.

Re: ESPN's Tip Sheet on Bruce

Martz seems to be using him predominently as a possession type receiver. Set the Db up then let's see some deeper routes for Bruce !!!!
    First play in the Rams/vikings playoff game. Post pattern up the middle, Bruce catches it in stride.... TOUCHDOWN..... RAMS !!!!!

Maineram :ramlogo:

Comment

I'd like to see more post patterns throughout every game. We've become more of a crossing pattern team the last couple years. We don't yield many yards after the catch anymore. MacDonald's last play of the Seattle game was a perfect example of something that's been missing in our offensive scheme IMO.

Go Rams!!!

Comment

We can throw deep if we can do two things effectively: Protect and run the ball to set up the play action.

general counsel

Comment

I guess the next question is can Bulger throw the deep ball consistently. He seems to underthrow our receivers on deep patterns quite often. I bet if they worked on it in practice they could get it down.

With the speed of MacDonald and Curtis the opportunity is there IMO.

Go Rams!!!
          Last edited by viper; -10-15-2004, 07:44 PM.

Comment

He showed last weekend that he can physically do it. The question is, as viper pointed out, can he do it consistently.

Although, IMO, defenses are playing so many deep zones that I question whether or not the Rams would really see many deep looks, even if they do start running more posts and fly patterns. The nickel cornerback is almost a starting defensive position in today's defenses.

Comment

Isaac Bruce is my hero. He continues to perform well year after year and would've cracked 1,000 yards last year had he not missed time with injuries.

Comment

I honestly believe that Ike has not slowed down one bit. He's always been my favorite Ram, and can still bring it with the best of 'em. I wear jersey #80 with pride every week. Long live Isaac Bruce.

Comment

Its not that Bruce ever slowed down and then all of sudden sped back up. Its just that he is no longer getting held at the beginning of the play.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSeiler

Although, IMO, defenses are playing so many deep zones that I question whether or not the Rams would really see many deep looks, even if they do start running more posts and fly patterns. The nickel cornerback is almost a starting defensive position in today's defenses.
                    Ah, young Nick has again hit on a very pertinent point here. The standard 4-3 defense is no longer the standard 4-3. These days (thanks to teams like the Rams, Colts & Vikings), the 4-3 has become the 4-2. Unless a defense has a LB with wheels to burn and good coverage skills, a 5th DB will see a lot of playing time. The obvious answer to this shift is to run the ball more with a quick power runner, like say, Oh, I don't know, maybe.....Steven Jackson. Or even better go with the 2-back set and force the defense to respect the run.

Martz has to get those DBs on an island with Holt, Bruce, Curtis & McDonald. Good things will happen when he does so (See last play of Rams vs. Seahawks). And to do so, we have to run the ball. It looks like Martz is beginning to buy into it, and for that I applaude you Mike.
                    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by sprtsmac
                      Its not that Bruce ever slowed down and then all of sudden sped back up. Its just that he is no longer getting held at the beginning of the play.
                      It's a distinct possiblity .

GO RAMS
                      :helmet:

Comment

First play in the Rams/vikings playoff game. Post pattern up the middle, Bruce catches it in stride.... TOUCHDOWN..... RAMS !!!!!
                        That's the key, In stride. Haven't seen that in awhile.
                        JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS
                        :ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram:

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
                        Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
                          Avoiding Bruce talk
                          by RamWraith
                          Why is everyone dancing around the topic of Bruce?? I love this guy to death but we have some serious problems and with him being able to hang on to the rock!!:frown:

If you are going to rip Bulger...Bruce better be in the same sentence (Mokler :eek: )
                          -08-30-2005, 04:52 PM
                        • RamWraith
                          Bruce Continues Climb
                          by RamWraith
                          Monday, December 17, 2007
                          By Nick Wagoner
                          Senior Writer

Marshall Faulk will make history Thursday night when he is the first St. Louis Ram to have his number retired.

Someday, Isaac Bruce will almost certainly join him in the rafters. But as fans show their appreciation for Faulk, it might be a good idea to do the same for Bruce, who is on a collision course with history in his own right.

Bruce continued his climb up the charts of the league’s greatest receivers last week, passing Marvin Harrison for fourth place on the all-time receiving yards list. When all is said and done, Bruce hopes to see his No. 80 rise toward the heavens.

“As soon as I’m done, go ahead and retire that number, and put Henry Ellard’s name right on top of it,” Bruce said.

The catch that moved him past Harrison was patented Bruce. He deked Green Bay cornerback Charles Woodson downfield and hauled in a 37-yard pass. That gain nudged him past Harrison. He went on to finish with 72 receiving yards, pushing him within striking distance of the next name on the list.

Entering Thursday’s game against Pittsburgh at the Edward Jones Dome, Bruce needs just 22 yards to pass James Lofton for third place on said list.

The always humble Bruce is enjoying his rise up the ranks and says he’s honored to be mentioned with the likes of Lofton and Harrison.

“It’s big when you sit back and look at the numbers,” Bruce said. “Like I say, I am very grateful. I give praise to God daily for the numbers that are being surpassed. When you look at the guys and the names, it’s amazing that your name can be in the same group with the Tim Browns, the Jerry Rices, guys like James Lofton. It’s amazing and humbling.”

Bruce’s 13,983 receiving yards make him the most productive receiver among active players. In other words, no player in the league right now has accounted for more yards than Bruce.

The only players sitting ahead of Bruce after he surpasses Lofton are Rice and Brown. Rice has set the bar extremely high, accumulating about 8,000 more yards than No. 2 Brown, but Bruce is certainly in striking distance of Brown.

“I will enjoy being No. 3, but I’m looking forward to No. 2,” Bruce said. “It’s still going so it’s not my time to sit back and look at the entire body of work.”

In 2007, Bruce has 46 catches for 607 yards and three touchdowns. Although he won’t reach the 1,000-yard mark like he did in 2006, Bruce remains productive even now in his 14th season.

Of course, Bruce’s continued precise route running and ability to perform comes as no surprise to those who have been around him.

“I’m not amazed at all,” Faulk said. “I watched him. I understand. He takes it serious. He works out as hard as anyone. It all makes sense to me why he is still in the league competing. If...
                          -12-19-2007, 06:03 AM
                        • AvengerRam_old
                          Bruce Closing In On Irvin
                          by AvengerRam_old
                          Isaac Bruce needs 27 yards to pass Michael Irvin on the career receiving yards list. Bruce already has more receptions and TDs than Irvin.

Makes you wonder... why is is that we so often hear people saying that Irvin should be in the Hall of Fame while few say this about Bruce? After this Sunday, the only indiviual categories that Bruce will likely trail Irvin in will be stupid TV quotes and felony charges.

Let me hear it Ram fans...

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!!!!!!!!!!
                          -09-23-2005, 10:13 AM
                        • RamWraith
                          Bruce wants an extension
                          by RamWraith
                          'Unbelievable' Bruce is still rolling along
                          By Jim Thomas
                          ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

His toe is hurting, his team is hurting, but Isaac Bruce's spirit remains unbowed. After 11 seasons in St. Louis, should we expect anything less from Bruce?

If he hasn't seen it all since the Rams' franchise moved here in 1995, Bruce has seen most of it. Highs, lows and in-betweens. Pro Bowls, Super Bowls, and 4-12. Coaches and players come and go.

For only the second time since 1998, Bruce won't be appearing in a playoff game this postseason. But he takes umbrage at the notion that there's nothing to play for in the final three games of the season.

"I've got a lot to play for," Bruce said. "And this team has a lot to play for. So we don't look at it like that.
                          "It's always about being a professional. Just because we're mathematically out of it, you just don't go and say, 'OK, I'm going to box it up right now.'"

This hasn't been the easiest season for Bruce to do his job, in large part because of a painful turf-toe injury he suffered Sept. 25 against Tennessee. Bruce missed the next five games, returning after the bye week to play at Seattle on Nov. 13.

Since then, he has caught 18 passes for 292 yards and two touchdowns. Even with the injury, Bruce can still get down field, as evidenced by his 16.2 yards per catch over the past five games. But there's no doubt the toe still is bothering him. Dislocated toes can take forever to heal properly.

Bruce doesn't like talking about injuries. It's almost as if he's denying their existence - at least in his mind - by doing so. So when asked Wednesday if the toe injury was behind him, the answer was typical Bruce: "When I get out on the field, I put it behind me."

Bruce's name hasn't appeared on the injury report for weeks now, but the toe isn't 100 percent. Interim head coach Joe Vitt concedes as much when he says Bruce "is playing a little dinged right now, and that's a credit to him."

Dinged or not, Bruce seems to set another career milestone every time he steps on the field these days. Last week against Minnesota, Bruce moved into 10th place on the NFL's career receiving list with 12,181 yards. He's the only active player on the list, although Indianapolis' Marvin Harrison (12,177) and Jacksonville's Jimmy Smith (12,100) are nipping at his heels.

On Sunday against the Vikings, Bruce also became the 14th player in NFL history with 800 receptions. Among active players, only Harrison (917), Smith (847) and San Diego's Keenan McCardell (810) are ahead of Bruce's 804 catches.

For those who think Bruce is ready to be put out to pasture at age 33, here's some food for thought. He is more than three years younger than Smith; nearly three years younger than McCardell; and nearly three months younger...
                          -12-15-2005, 04:22 AM
                        • RAMMAN68
                          Bruce Out!
                          by RAMMAN68
                          Just heard it on klou. :disappoin
                          -01-15-2005, 04:02 PM
                        Working...
                        X