• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Tackling Concerns Spagnuolo

Poor tackling concerns Spagnuolo

BY BILL COATS
    August 23, 2010

As coach Steve Spagnuolo put it Sunday, a day after the Rams evened their preseason record at 1-1 by edging the Browns 19-17, "A win is a win." But the victory had its blemishes, Spagnuolo pointed out.

"It's not all pretty," he said. "So there are things we've got to work on."

Perhaps topping that list is tackling. The Rams whiffed on a bunch of them in the steady rain in Cleveland.

"I did not like overall the way we tackled," Spagnuolo said. "Way too many missed tackles. And that can't happen. It doesn't matter what the elements are or what the field's like. Guys have got to make those tackles. …

"I think the guys know exactly what the issues were, because we talk about it all the time. We're high on our tackles."

After watching the game film, Spagnuolo put together a clip of five or six tackles that he said were executed perfectly. He plans to highlight those when he meets with his defense today.

"I'm going to show them those first and say, 'Hey, let's just do this all the time,'" Spagnuolo said. "I don't think this is a major, major issue, because we have some prideful guys. We're doing things the right way; we've just got to do it all the time."

Re: Poor Tackling Concerns Spagnuolo

After watching the game film, Spagnuolo put together a clip of five or six tackles that he said were executed perfectly. He plans to highlight those when he meets with his defense today.

"I'm going to show them those first and say, 'Hey, let's just do this all the time,'" Spagnuolo said.
    I think little stuff like that is why he has the respect of his team. He manages to make his point while still focusing on the positives.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
      I think little stuff like that is why he has the respect of his team. He manages to make his point while still focusing on the positives.
      I'm all for that method of leadership as long as it produces the necessarry results. The Rams, at the very least, have got to be able to make tackles when the opportunities are there. What good is effective pursuit, quick reactions or proper angles if you fail to wrap up?

It's simple, if you can't consistently make tackles, regardless of the conditions, you're not going to be a good defense. Let's hope they improve against New England.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
        I'm all for that method of leadership as long as it produces the necessarry results. The Rams, at the very least, have got to be able to make tackles when the opportunities are there. What good is effective pursuit, quick reactions or proper angles if you fail to wrap up?

It's simple, if you can't consistently make tackles, regardless of the conditions, you're not going to be a good defense. Let's hope they improve against New England.
        That game was the first time since Spags took over that I've seen really poor tackling. I remarked to my wife during the game that it reminded me of the Rams circa 2007. I'm not worried about it too much.

Comment

That game was the first time since Spags took over that I've seen really poor tackling. I remarked to my wife during the game that it reminded me of the Rams circa 2007. I'm not worried about it too much.
          I agree. Hopefully it was just an anomaly, but I see it the way Spags does, the elements should not matter, you have to make those tackles. I'm not going to get too worked up unless the trend continues against New England.

Comment

There were definitely some tackling issues. It seemed like Hillis and Stuckey just could not be brought down on first contact. I also don't buy the weather excuse; I think it was much more about angles and arm tackles than it was tackling a wet opponent. Hopefully that stuff gets cleaned up.

Comment

We have been one of the worst tackling defenses for a while now. Change will take time!

Comment

Interesting, in the first preseason game we tackled very well, not sure what to make of this but I guess we'll see thursday if this is a trend or a simple hiccup.

Comment

Yeah, I think that is a good approach. Sometimes it helps to be able to visualize exactly what the coaches want. That said, there's not a lot of excuse for poor tackling at the pro level. Tackling technique is one area of the game that isn't based on natural gifts.

Comment

From what I saw, there was a combination of mental lapses leading to poor technique, and Hillis being a pumped up bowling ball. Watch the video; too many guys with hats on the wrong side, and bodies outside the carrier's path.
                    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

It's pretty bad when playing tackle football that tackling is an issue!

C'mon RAMS let's go!
                      sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Im just curious as to why this is even a problem? If anyone has heard of rugby, then you know that tackling is very important, and so many players choose to wrap up more times than not, because it may end in a score if they miss a big hit! NFL players seem too concerned about making the big hits. Or is it just many players cant wrap up, if so then they shouldnt be playing the game!!

Comment

Its baffling that there are so many gafts in football fundimentals...you play the game for most of your life from high school on up; make it to the pros and somewhere along the line you loose the basics?!

Perhaps its a matter of aggression and heart that makes a good tackler or blocker. I am not sure yet if the Rams are not playing consistant with emotion yet.

Does any one or can anyone pointout any leaders yet on the defense or offense yet?

Comment

I'm glad Spags is addressing this issue early in the season, poor tackling is an issue IMO across the entire league. Too many guys looking for that "Sportscenter" hit has ruined the fundementals of the game. Spags seems to have the attention of the team, hopefully they listen.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by makersncoke View Post
                              I'm glad Spags is addressing this issue early in the season, poor tackling is an issue IMO across the entire league. Too many guys looking for that "Sportscenter" hit has ruined the fundementals of the game. Spags seems to have the attention of the team, hopefully they listen.
                              You're absolutely right. In the Vikings game, which tackle got the most airtime? Answer...Larry Grant's hit on punt coverage. Leveled the guy. Was it a solid technique tackle? Flip no. He was just a flying burrito hurled at the ball carrier. Horrible technique. Had the ballcarrier been aware of Grant, he would easily have avoided the hit. But, it was a "decleater", so it made the headlines.

It's kind of sad.
                              The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• BM_Face
                                Spagnuolo told wife: We're not talking to Harbaughs again
                                by BM_Face
                                · Marc Sessler NFL.com
                                · Published: Sept. 27, 2011 at 09:46 a.m

Three straight defeats for the Rams have been made worse for coach Steve Spagnuolo in that each drubbing was dished out by an old friend.

Coaches Andy Reid, Tom Coughlin and John Harbaugh -- all close associates of Spagnuolo -- have outscored St. Louis by a combined 60 points in the first three weeks of the season.
                                After the Ravens didn't shy away from running up the score in Sunday's 37-7 drubbing, Spagnuolo put any future get-togethers with the Harbaughs on ice.

According to The Associated Press, when Spagnuolo got home Sunday night, he instructed his wife Maria, "We're not ever talking to them again."

Spagnuolo backed off that stance Monday, acknowledging that losing to friends is part of the business.

"Let me tell you something: John Harbaugh's a competitor now. So I know that in him," Spagnuolo said. "I've got no problem with it. I did feel one way yesterday, but I calmed down and looked at it."

Even if it was Mrs. Spagnuolo who calmed her husband down, we hope the Rams coach understands the primary reason for Sunday's lopsided loss: the Ravens are, well, more talented and scored easily on a defense that ranks 31st in the league. Heading into this season, St. Louis was viewed as one of the league's hot, young teams -- but less than a month in, it's only Spagnuolo's seat that's heating up.
                                -09-27-2011, 10:47 AM
                              • RamWraith
                                Spagnuolo's system
                                by RamWraith
                                By Jim Thomas
                                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                                Thursday, Mar. 26 2009

DANA POINT, CALIF. — Steve Spagnuolo's expertise, obviously, is defense.
                                According to longtime team official John Shaw, Spagnuolo is the Rams' first
                                defensive-oriented head coach since Ray Malavasi 30 years ago. So there's a
                                level of expectation that Spagnuolo, as a "defensive whiz" with the New York
                                Giants, will at least be able to straighten out that side of the ball.

"Don't fall for that," Spagnuolo joked Wednesday at the NFC coaches breakfast.
                                "We had good players in Philadelphia and New York, and we'll have some good
                                players here in St. Louis. You believe in a system, and believe in what you've
                                done defensively.

"You have good people installing it, good players executing it — we hope to do
                                that. But we're not going to make any bold predictions, or look into a crystal
                                ball here."

As he looked at Rams game film from last season, Spagnuolo didn't cover his
                                eyes and wonder: "What have I gotten myself into?"

Believe it or not, Spagnuolo was pleasantly surprised with some of what he saw.

"When you watch like the last four, five games of the season I never saw a team
                                — especially defensively — that quit," Spagnuolo said. "I thought those guys
                                were playing right till the end. That's a tremendous credit to what they were
                                doing here a year ago. And I think we can build on that."

So even from the ashes of that 2-14 disaster, there's a starting point.

Apparently, Spagnuolo's ego isn't so large that the defense is going to be his
                                way or else. Make no mistake, he will have plenty of input on that side of the
                                ball. But it looks like defensive coordinator Ken Flajole will do the
                                play-calling on game day.

"Oh, yeah," Spagnuolo said. "I've got a lot of confidence in the defensive
                                coaches and the staff."

At the NFL owners' meetings here, and even before this gathering, Spagnuolo has
                                picked the brains of several head coaches who have defensive backgrounds:
                                Carolina's John Fox, Cincinnati's Marvin Lewis and Atlanta's Mike Smith to name
                                a few.

"All of us feel that as the head coach, you've got to concern yourself more
                                with managing the game," Spagnuolo said. "It's kind of hard to call defenses on
                                game day and still be able to worry about the clock. It's a little easier to do
                                when you're an offensive coordinator because you have the ball, so you kind of
                                control the game a little bit."

Even though the draft is fast approaching, Spagnuolo has been to very few pro
                                days to watch prospects work out at their college campuses. Instead, he has...
                                -03-26-2009, 04:18 AM
                              • Bralidore(RAMMODE)
                                Spagnuolo Sees Different Senior Bowl
                                by Bralidore(RAMMODE)
                                Wednesday, January 27, 2010
                                By Nick Wagoner
                                Senior Writer
                                MOBILE, Ala. – Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo has been coaching in the NFL for 11 years. Of the many things that profession entails for the majority of coaches, one is an annual trip here for Senior Bowl week.
                                That trip can only be skipped by a select few, those fortunate enough to have helped lead their teams to the final weekend or two of the NFL playoffs. Those are the coaches playing for championships and they gladly miss out on the opportunity to come to Ladd-Peebles Stadium to try to find the guys who could help them someday skip said event.
                                Before traveling down here this week, Spagnuolo reflected on this very idea and came to the conclusion that he has been quite blessed in his coaching career.
                                “I have been very, very lucky in this league,” Spagnuolo said. “This is year 11 for me and this is only I want to say like the fourth time I have been here because I have been lucky enough to be on teams that were in the playoffs.”
                                Obviously, Spagnuolo and the Rams weren’t so fortunate this season but that doesn’t mean he’s upset about coming to Mobile to get acquainted with some of the players in this year’s draft class.
                                Last week, Spagnuolo hit the one-year mark of his tenure as the head coach of the Rams. A lot has changed in that time.
                                At last year’s Senior Bowl, Spagnuolo was holed up in a room at the Renaissance Battle House Hotel interviewing candidates for various spots on his coaching staff. He attended no practices and got no feel for any of the players in attendance at last year’s game.
                                This year, Spagnuolo has had to, in some ways, re-learn the Senior Bowl process.
                                In the early days of the week, Spagnuolo sat anonymously with the NFL masses in the stands next to General Manager Billy Devaney. There, Spagnuolo picked Devaney’s brain about the players on the field in an effort to get to know some of them.
                                After a couple of days of that, Spagnuolo spent Wednesday morning standing on the sideline with Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin and his trusty pencil and notebook in hand.
                                “I was picking his brain a little bit about his first couple of years and time as a defensive coordinator so we shared some thoughts there but we both stood there and said ‘You do realize we keep moving with the defensive guys,’” Spagnuolo said, laughing. “We do have our eyes on everyone, though.”
                                Although the Spagnuolo and his staff were offered the opportunity to be one of the coaching staffs here this week, the invitation was declined. Detroit is coaching the North team while Miami is coaching the South squad.
                                Spagnuolo said he put a lot of thought into the decision but ultimately didn’t feel like the time was right for his staff to take on the task.
                                “I just felt like this year it was more advantageous for...
                                -01-27-2010, 06:44 PM
                              • MauiRam
                                Bernie: Spagnuolo ready to tackle season ..
                                by MauiRam
                                By Bernie Miklasz Thursday, September 9, 2010 12:35 am

Steve Spagnuolo is absolutely, positively ready for his second season as the Rams' head coach.

We know this because he's sleeping in the bathroom again.

Umm ... the bathroom?

Yes, it's tucked in the back of his office on the second floor at Rams Park. The bathroom has the usual amenities, including a shower, a lavatory and toiletries. But last season Spagnuolo added a single bed.

And when the coach stays up late at the office, reviewing video, he tries to sleep in the bathroom for a few hours to save time and make a quick pivot back to work in the morning.

Not that a 1-15 rookie coach can sleep peacefully. When I asked Spagnuolo what it was like to go 1-15 last season as a rookie coach, he laughed and pointed to the bathroom. "You see that small little room? I spent some time back there," he said.

Probably getting sick to his stomach from the pain and anguish of losing. Or perhaps it was his refuge. Spagnuolo would close the door and try to sort everything out in his mind.

Emotionally and mentally, Spagnuolo absorbed quite a beating last season. His relentlessly upbeat nature was tested as never before. He won a single game. In the 15 losses, his team was outscored 426-148. Some of his friends wondered if Spagnuolo had made a career-smothering mistake by leaving his post as the New York Giants' successful defensive coordinator to take on such a thankless, hopeless job.

"I don't think this way," Spagnuolo said. "I don't know about people saying that it might kill my career, because I simply don't think that way, go through life that way. I've always had to do things this way."

Spagnuolo smiled, noted his diminutive stature and added, "At 5-8, and always having to overcome things, it's never been easy for me. I wouldn't know how to go into a situation where it was easy. I only know about starting from a tough situation and working from there. Maybe I function better that way. It hasn't been easy. It's been trying. Have I even wavered at times? Sure, I'm human. But I've never let it last long."

It explains why Spagnuolo became a buzzsaw center on his high school ice hockey team at Grafton, Mass. He was an aggressive pest who would torment taller and more skilled opponents. He played second base on the state championship baseball team. He was a quarterback who ran the wishbone offense. Go ahead. Try to knock him down.

This resolve carried Spagnuolo through coaching stops that took him around the world over a 27-year period before he became the Rams' coach. The odyssey took him to three countries, six colleges and four professional teams in small towns and big cities.

When asked why he hired the largely unknown Spagnuolo as defensive coordinator, Giants coach...
                                -09-09-2010, 12:48 AM
                              • RamWraith
                                Rams minicamp with a plan
                                by RamWraith
                                BY Jim Thomas
                                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                                Thursday, Apr. 02 2009
                                For Steve Spagnuolo, it's never too early to look for leaders. His first
                                minicamp as Rams head coach is as good a time to start as any.

"We'll try to identify those leaders on our team, and hopefully, they'll step
                                to the forefront in those tough times that you know you're going to have — no
                                matter what team — in a 16-game season," Spagnuolo said. "I remember vividly
                                going through it in Philadelphia. And I remember Brian Dawkins and Jeremiah
                                Trotter, Donovan McNabb at a certain point in the season deciding that, 'Hey
                                guys.' ... They did little things with the other players. Very unseen things,
                                but it made a big difference."

There certainly is a leadership void to be filled with the 2009 Rams. Veterans
                                Torry Holt, Orlando Pace, Corey Chavous and Trent Green have been released.
                                Other veterans, such as La'Roi Glover and Dane Looker, are free agents who have
                                not been re-signed by the club. (The Rams may revisit signing Looker after the
                                draft.)

"I believe that the underlying leaders surface once there's no leadership in
                                front of them," Spagnuolo said. "Hopefully, there's some undiscovered secret
                                leaders on this roster right now."

Perhaps it's newly re-signed cornerback Ron Bartell. New center Jason Brown. Or
                                safety Oshiomogho Atogwe.

But over the course of five minicamp practices over the next three days at Rams
                                Park, Spagnuolo will be looking for leaders. (The Rams practice twice today,
                                twice Friday, and once Saturday.)

"You'll look to see which guys jump in front (of the lines), which guys are
                                encouraging other people," Spagnuolo said. "When I'm sitting in the back of the
                                meetings, I'm going to be looking for who's taking notes — actually sitting and
                                writing notes. The best players that I've worked with are great note-takers."

During his decade of coaching in the NFL, Spagnuolo has observed that the
                                players who are meticulous in their preparation are the ones who last the
                                longest in the league.

"Because they've figured it out — that it's as much from the chin to the
                                hairline as it is anything that they do with their body," Spagnuolo said.

In trying to foster an atmosphere of togetherness and teamwork, Spagnuolo said
                                leadership has to come from several sources.

"No matter what, it's never going to be about one person," Spagnuolo said.
                                "It's always going to be about the makeup of the whole team. Sometimes I think
                                we all make mistakes when we focus on one position. We know the glory position
                                and the one that's out in the forefront is the quarterback position, but...
                                -04-02-2009, 04:12 AM
                              Working...
                              X