This Game Showed Me.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Game Showed Me.....

......that Sam Bradford is the real deal and the Rams are set at quarterback for some time to come. He still has a lot to learn, but under the circumstances, I thought he was very impressive, despite numerous drops by his receivers, spotty protection, and questionable play calling. With little help from the running game and asked to throw the ball over 50 times, he continued to keep his cool and execute. He did throw 3 interceptions but IMO, 2 of those were more a factor of the situation than of bad execution. No deer in the headlights moments, no running scared, no panic. He took the team, put it on his shoulders and nearly got a win. I'm a believer and very encouraged by what I saw today. I see good things coming.

Re: This Game Showed Me.....

I agree. A couple of times, like his second pick, I thought he looked like a rookie but overall I thought he was impressive.

Not worried about his future.

Comment

Wait, you mean someone on this board that's not complaining?!

I totally agree, we SHOULD have won this game, and thats pretty impressive considering the Cardinals are two time NFC West Champs and we haven't won the division since when? 2003?

Comment

Originally posted by Rambunctious View Post
        I agree. A couple of times, like his second pick, I thought he looked like a rookie but overall I thought he was impressive.

Not worried about his future.
        I'd say more the first one. The second one was less of a rookie mistake and more of a "It's 4th down and literally no one is open and the game is on the line and the one thing I can't do is just hold the ball until I get sacked" interception. It's better in that case to just throw the ball at whoever you think has the best chance to get it, and hope for the best. He didn't have a lot of choice there. Wait and take the hit and it is a turnover anyway, not really a rookie mistake, more of a desperation play to keep the drive alive.

3rd one, you almost can't count hail mary ones.

Comment

Originally posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
          Wait, you mean someone on this board that's not complaining?!

I totally agree, we SHOULD have won this game, and thats pretty impressive considering the Cardinals are two time NFC West Champs and we haven't won the division since when? 2003?
          Yeah, Derrick Anderson, Pretty Impressive! :|
          sigpic

Comment

This is going to surprise some folks, but I too think Bradford probably could be decent....with one proviso.

If we don't get it done protecting him in the next couple of years, he'll turn into Bulger 2.0. Bulger started out just as well as Bradford has, but had the skill and accuracy beat out of him.

Comment

I definitely take a lot of positives out of today's game. We are definitely a young team needing experience (along with the coaching staff), BUT I do enjoy seeing us getting after the quarterback early and often. Long was being double and triple teamed on many occasions and still was fighting in there. Clayton came in after only one week and showed his potential. Bradford was as to be expected in my opinion, flashes of brilliance and some rookie mistakes. We definitely COULD have won this game and it was competitive to the end. Overall, I enjoyed the game aside from the final score and I am feeling positive about where this team is headed.
              Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

Comment

Bradford had some good moments and some bad, as one would expect from a rookie quarterback. One game is too early to declare him the real deal IMO, but he certainly showed flashes to make one believe he can get there if the pieces all come together. Hopefully he stays healthy and continues to grow, and just as importantly, the Rams put some more talent around him!

Comment

Originally posted by PeoriaRam View Post
                  This is going to surprise some folks, but I too think Bradford probably could be decent....with one proviso.

If we don't get it done protecting him in the next couple of years, he'll turn into Bulger 2.0. Bulger started out just as well as Bradford has, but had the skill and accuracy beat out of him.
                  Powerful words ... and true. Our OL MUST get stronger in both passing as well as running games. :ram:

This game showed me Big Brad was composed. Hey, 1st game for a young NFL rookie. // WR corps needs to grow also and I believe it will.

Comment

I think its safe to say he's gonna be better than Jamarcus Russell

Comment

Bradford is gonna be good. Now we need AJ Green to grow with him......

Comment

all we needed today was someone in the secondary to cover Breaston out there.

the clayton trade is paying dividens already, give him and sam a few more weeks together and give jackson a few more carries and we'll be well on our way to a respectable record.

Comment

I have nothing but high marks for Bradford. He didn't look like a rookie too often out there and he's everything as advertised.

He's going to need some help when your new #1 WR has killer drops and the #1 TE puts the ball on the ground twice. Better play-calling from Shurmur down the road could help too.

Bradford is here and in the near future the Rams can get the tools around him(WR's). It remains to be seen if that might include upgrading the OL where there has already been very considerable money and high picks used. That unit had better develop this year or the Rams have a huge problem.

Comment

I was watching the games with my friends. Everybody agreed he has that "it" quality for a QB. I am now believing so too. My friend who is an eagles fan and the other panthers. So they had rough QB days yesterday haha. However they said they can see Bradford could be the real deal

Comment

So far, I really like what Bradford has done. This game made clear to me we need receivers with hands though. Bradford throws the ball with heat, and we need to get receivers who won't have a problem with that.

I didn't see the protection failures that some of you saw. There was that one really bad outside blitz, and one that got through untouched up the middle, but other than that I thought our O-line did really good against a really good d-line.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamsInfiniti
                                Rams dtastically improved, simply need to make plays ....
                                by RamsInfiniti
                                So much I took from this game. Differently a different Rams team from the past few years. My observations:

1. The days of getting pushed around and beaten up are OVER. Rams won many a battle today on both lines. This defense is HARD HITTING man. Like no Ram's defense last decade.

2. Bradford looks so impressive for a rookie. He's going to make mistakes. None of the three INT's today are really bothersome to me. Looks like he's throwing a little hard for some of the receivers to adjust too. They will have to adjust.

3. Clayton looked very solid. He runs superb routes. Need him to come up with crucial catches though.

4. Chris Long is a MONSTER. He was TRIPLE teamed numerous times during the game. He doesn't show up in the stat line, but he had Derek Anderson thinking about him all day. When is the last time we putting a hurting on the QB like that? Well-timed blitz schemes and solid pressure. Just need to keep it up the whole game. We looked winded at the end.

5. Cliff Ryan is pretty fast for a 324 lb man. Needs to work on ball security.

6. We did a fairly solid job is blitz pickup. The Cards were bringing it from everywhere.

7. 2 dropped INT's, blown TD on a fumble recovery, blocked FG, dropped pass by Clayton that may have been a TD.. We just need to make these plays, and we will.

8. Amazing how solid the secondary looks when we get good pressure. Bartell was simply excellent.

9. Amendola is a real gamer, but I am worried he is going to get killed the way he throws his body around. He needs to come out of the return game and focus on the slot.

10. Need better coaching in critical situations, particularly time management. Why could they not adjust to the damn counter trey runs. LB responsibility here. Seriously, only 4 WR's active? Gibson NEEDS TO PLAY!

11. Ah You and Selvie looked pretty decent coming off the edge.

12. The dome seemed to be rocking. Good to see for sure.

That's all I have for now ....
                                -09-13-2010, 06:36 AM
                                Views from the Game
                                by Guest
                                I went to the game today and I am sure it was just as obvious on TV. Hargrove played better today then past weeks. The secondary was horrible the second touch down of the game by the Seachickens WR caught the ball on the left side of the field and we had no DBs on the entire left side he jogged it in 29 yards but he could have just walked it if he preferred. We had no one on that side of the field. I am thinking about working out and trying out for the Rams secondary however if I workout I am afraid I might be over qualified. Well maybe I wont work out maybe I will just try out for the Rams punting position because he sucked just as much. Horrible day punting his kicks had no hang time and no distance what a bad combo. Holt man he looked great as he always does he had an excellent one-handed catch. Tyoka had a good game with 2 sacks. Our offense had 0 points in the first quarter another bad start that helped put us in a hole. Their offense scored 14 points in the first quarter. Bulger had an okay game I still expect a little more. Jackson good game when he got square and ran still does not look like he has cutting ability. I also held my breath on the throws to him because he doesn’t make it look easy when he catches the ball. However he did good catching the ball though.

All blame for this game falls on the D especially the secondary. The secondary could not stop their 3rd and 4th receivers who were starting in place of their number 1 and 2. That is pathetic when a team still throws for 316 yards with their number one and two WRs out. McDoanlds dropped punt did not help but our D gave up way to many points.

Everyone at the game thought we were going to come back and beat them before the dropped punt.
                                -10-09-2005, 03:03 PM
                              • bruce4life
                                Shurmer's Playcalling...
                                by bruce4life
                                is spotty, he def had some spots where you just shook your head in disgust today folks. Love the trust in Bradford but have to give the ball to SJ39 more
                                -09-12-2010, 05:55 PM
                              • bruce4life
                                Positves from the game but...
                                by bruce4life
                                Have to muster the win there... Just have to , comments...
                                -09-12-2010, 05:36 PM
                              • HornIt
                                HornItís Rams vs. Raiders review Ė The Revenge of Chris Johnson
                                by HornIt
                                Yes folks itís true. The thing you never, ever, thought could possibly happen, happened.

Rams castoff Chris Johnson, the guy who stepped out of bounds on the Rams own 1 yard line on a kickoff return the first time he ever touched the ball as a Ram, made the Rams pay dearly Saturday night for their decision to set him adrift in the NFL sea of uncertainty. Well, he hooked on with the Raiders and haunted the Rams much of the night, be it with his excellent coverage or his TD saving big plays such as knocking the ball out of Fitzharvardís hands as he was driving for the goal line and through the back of the end zone.

This was just sort of the way the entire night went. Nothing much went right. What could go wrong did go wrong. Even what we thought couldnít go wrong, such as Johnson getting his revenge, went wrong.

Funny thing though is, after digesting my first viewing of the game and then watching it again on NFLN this afternoon, maybe not as much actually went wrong as I thought it did initially, and as a lot of people thought it did initially. At least, not as many fundamentally bad things came out of the game as it first appeared.

This would seem to give credence to the age old adage, never do game analysis after only one emotionally invested viewing of the game. You may just see things much differently after youíve had a chance to get over the original disappointment of the results not being exactly what you were hoping for. Thatís what happened to me this time anyway.

Watching it all again, really only two things stuck out in my mind as being responsible for how bad things appeared on first viewing last night. Those two things were penalties and Bulger, in that order.

The key play in every Raiders scoring drive was some kind of key penalty, and not just any old penalty, but big, huge, game changing penalties. 10 penalties for 157 yards, and the worst thing about that is, several of them truly were completely bogus calls. But even if they werenít, itís better news than the initial news that they simply got their butts whooped. That actually didnít happen.

Additionally, contrary to the popular narrative thus far, they were not conservative on offense and they did actually show quite a bit of their passing game, and they were making a concerted effort to go vertical and get the ball downfield. The thing is, they (mostly Bulger in this case) just didnít execute.

Think of 44 passes and 17 rushes, averaged 13 yards per completion and does that sound conservative to you? Does that sound like they didnít open up at least a little? The problem on offense last night was not a lack of imagination, it was a lack of execution.

So, letís take a look at it.
                                Offense

OL

Initially I thought the O-line played fairly poorly, but on second...
                                -08-25-2007, 07:25 PM
                              Working...
                              X