In hindsight ... very interesting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In hindsight ... very interesting

I am not sure what to read about this, but in hindsight it sounds like our coordinators knew what we needed to do. What strikes me the most is the part of Shurmur's comments that I highlighted (bold) because that is exactly what the Rams let happen.

We have to start asking ourselves - why, if we know what is coming, can't we seem to avoid the traps that teams are setting for us. I contend it's execution (i.e. lack of skill/experience) but I am sure there are other thoughts. Discuss...

-----------------------------
    Rams' coordinators discuss Raiders
    BY BILL COATS | Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 3:15 pm

FROM THE COORDINATORS
    Offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur, on whether he can call plays more aggressively with Sam Bradford at QB: “I don’t know about aggressive. I think it’s important that we take our shots. You can’t leave the defense in a position where they’re only covering part of the field. What Sam brings is, he’s a good athlete. So that allows you to move him. He does a good job of throwing the ball with accuracy, so he can throw from the pocket. He’s tall enough to see. All of those things I think give you more options.”

Defensive coordinator Ken Flajole, on what the Raiders present at wide receiver: “A lot of speed. The top five guys can all run, and they’re very committed to the vertical passing game. They want to take their shots. …The Raiders pride themselves …on being a vertical passing team. They like speed at wide receiver, and they try to get them the ball down the field.”

Re: In hindsight ... very interesting

IDK what to say about Shurmur.....

BUT what I think happened with Ken Flajole was that he did a good job covering the WRs over the top (i.e. Butler's pick) but then in the second half when they started to run a little better... he brought the safeties down to play a little closer to help the run.. and then boom the deep plays. but that's just how I saw it when I was watching the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Shale View Post
      We have to start asking ourselves - why, if we know what is coming, can't we seem to avoid the traps that teams are setting for us. I contend it's execution (i.e. lack of skill/experience) but I am sure there are other thoughts. Discuss...
      I have to agree with you about the execution and I think it is mostly due to the reasons you stated.

Bradford is very green and he missed on some key throws there in the second half. A few of the throws he just needed to take some off and others he just flat misfired.

After all these years SJax is still dancing as he approaches the line. He's not very good at finding seams, he has plenty of leg power, yet he lacks a quick burst, breakaway speed, and his cutback ability leaves much to be desired.

He just not a bigtime playmaker and we have no other playmakers for Bradford to get the ball to.

This lack of offensive execution creates many of the 3 and outs by the offense and then of course leaves the defense on the field too much.

Alot of Fans are screaming about playcalling, but I don't think it's as bad as execution and the lack of a bigtime playmaker.

That's not to say Shurmur gets a free pass. The thing that gripes me about his playbook is the design of these plays. You often see several receivers going to the same short areas of the field, no screens, not much motion, no post routes, and never a crossing route. Some of the best pass plays are the ones that invlove the TE's.

Still, the design of this passing offense is a far cry from the Martz' system that myself and many others were in love with.

They say they want to be a running team yet they don't even have a great run scheme with a RB to utilize the scheme.

Hopefully this offense will come together, but my patience with it is growing thin and right now I think it is a waste of a great young QB talent.

:helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by Ferter View Post

After all these years SJax is still dancing as he approaches the line. He's not very good at finding seams, he has plenty of leg power, yet he lacks a quick burst, breakaway speed, and his cutback ability leaves much to be desired.

He just not a bigtime playmaker and we have no other playmakers for Bradford to get the ball to.

T
        So Jackson's 125 total yards, and Leading us in receiving was chop liver?

You have to remember they were keying on Jackson. So they think what any team thinks, Stop Jackson, Stop the Rams. It's a team game last time I saw it, and Steven Jackson was the team that day. No one really helped him out when it counted.

Also the play callings creativity was deplorable. Open up the playbook and take shots down field. This kid Bradford has the ability to throw of course hes going to miss, but all i see is quick short passes, no shots down the middle when they were bringing the pressure down the middle, leaving it wide open. I still saw no receivers in those areas.

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiianpunch View Post
          So Jackson's 125 total yards, and Leading us in receiving was chop liver?

You have to remember they were keying on Jackson. So they think what any team thinks, Stop Jackson, Stop the Rams. It's a team game last time I saw it, and Steven Jackson was the team that day. No one really helped him out when it counted.
          Did I say anything about chop liver? You did not address one thing that I wrote about SJ? Why is that? Because it's true.

He did not make any big plays to speak of. No TD's, 75 yds rushing with a long of 23, 4 rec with a long of 24. He had mack truck lanes to run in when he did gain yds. All he did was keep the chains moving for a short part of the game. What do you mean no one helped him out when it counted? You prop him up for the his stats yet you say he got no help. Are you trying to say he did all that by himself? Didn't you also say it was a team game? Yet everything SJ did was on his own? Which way do you want it? Both ways, I see....lol

Also the play callings creativity was deplorable. Open up the playbook and take shots down field. This kid Bradford has the ability to throw of course hes going to miss, but all i see is quick short passes, no shots down the middle when they were bringing the pressure down the middle, leaving it wide open. I still saw no receivers in those areas.
          Bradford missed on several passes that were past the first down stripe. You've got to make a few completions to move the chains before you can just go ahead and miss a few, otherwise it's just 3 and out every series. Sure he has talent, but he's not even close to being polished yet.

What makes you think there is a playbook to open up. This is the classic dink and dunk offense. It's so conservative you'd think we were back to the days of Knox.

Teams that have had the most success over the last several years (Saints, Cards, Colts, Pats) are running wide open offenses. Not this dink and dunk crap with a 7 yard dose of SJ and a cloud of dust.

This offense is pathetic!!!

Comment

Are you trying to say he did all that by himself? Didn't you also say it was a team game? Yet everything SJ did was on his own? Which way do you want it? Both ways, I see....lol

This offense is pathetic!!!

He did most of it from what i watched and That was a game from beggining to end. If you haven't already noticed, the very next play after steven moved the chains they play actioned him while in the redzone and created that whole pass play for Clayton.

All because the defense was focused on Steven Jackson. I watched the whole game the score was 14. Technically because of the pressure created by Jackson led to their first score. And that was half of the two times they scored. Both ways buddy. Steven Jackson carried the team until the raiders decided to Key on him. Because shurmur kept running up the middle not mixing it up They Just stacked the box. Therefore stoping steven Jackson.

and Yes the offensive game plan is pathetic. I just see shurmur collecting a paycheck. When he sits down next to bradford, I see no want, no passion no fire. I see it in bradford, but he has it more than shurmur. Shurmur looks like he thinks " Well after the game im going to have a nice juicy steak, Ok lets run straight up the middle."

Comment

He did most of it from what i watched and That was a game from beggining to end. If you haven't already noticed, the very next play after steven moved the chains they play actioned him while in the redzone and created that whole pass play for Clayton.

All because the defense was focused on Steven Jackson. I watched the whole game the score was 14. Technically because of the pressure created by Jackson led to their first score. And that was half of the two times they scored. Both ways buddy. Steven Jackson carried the team until the raiders decided to Key on him. Because shurmur kept running up the middle not mixing it up They Just stacked the box. Therefore stoping steven Jackson.

and Yes the offensive game plan is pathetic. I just see shurmur collecting a paycheck. When he sits down next to bradford, I see no want, no passion no fire. I see it in bradford, but he has it more than shurmur. Shurmur looks like he thinks " Well after the game im going to have a nice juicy steak, Ok lets run straight up the middle."
              Yes it was a good drive and getting the run game going opened the play action, but SJ did not do it all by himself.

He had help....;)

Anyways, at least we can agree on one thing and that is the sorry state of this offense.

Comment

Anyways, at least we can agree on one thing and that is the sorry state of this offense.

We agree on more than that, we are both ram fans just stating our thoughts

Comment

Seriously? Sometimes I wish you guys wouldn't have drafted Bradford so I could have been a fan of another team who appreciates the caliber of QB this man will become. I realize you guys are hurting for a win, but I don't want to see any of you singing his praises when he becomes one of the best quarterbacks of all time.

Comment

After some time here you'll learn that there are certain people who will attack and insult our QB no matter who he is and no matter what the situation is.
                    "I've been saving the Universe for over a thousand years. I figure it owes me just this once."

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner View Post
                      Seriously? Sometimes I wish you guys wouldn't have drafted Bradford so I could have been a fan of another team who appreciates the caliber of QB this man will become. I realize you guys are hurting for a win, but I don't want to see any of you singing his praises when he becomes one of the best quarterbacks of all time.
                      What the hell are you talking about? The majority(mostly everyone) is happy with Bradford and can see the superstar potential through his actions and play. Keying in on his 'mishaps' is not taking him for granted, but merely pointing out rookie mistakes that any football fan, including Sam, knows he is going to have and can work on. Nonetheless, there will be the occasional fan that will bash him, but you will find that with any team. (could I add, on this site some of the "bashers" take it upon themselves to be the clowns and d*bags of the forum, so they are easy to spot, and ignore for that matter.) With that being said, dont think your doing us any favors by being a "fan".

Comment

Sooner, he's not "yours" anymore. Let him go. Manoman, talk about a mancrush.
                        Look away. I'm hideous. __ Cozmo Kramer

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner View Post
                          some people don't get it, they think the qb is supposed to single-handedly win us games, as if he is the one calling plays and making the catches as well. it's a problem on the internet. most of us realize he's well on his way to becoming our leader, personally i would like to see us get him some help NOW in the form of a deep-threat receiver and a new play caller before we ruin him, but that's just me.

Comment

I'm not sure anyone, aside from a few poor unfortunate souls, have said anything derogatory about Sam. As others have said however, he's not going to be able to do it on his own.

I'll disagree with Ferter about SJ but agree with his comments regarding scheme. It was something Lynch highlighted in the play by play in the second half when he made the point that the Rams were doing the Raiders job for them by pinching the field with tight formations. Its all very well trying to pass out of bunched formations but when your receivers are all running to the same place it becomes a pointless exercise.

With receivers such as ours we have to do a better job scheme-wise to make up for what they might not have in talent and I don't think we're doing that currently. We're simply not presenting a big enough challenge to opposing defenses currently. You might say that I'm being slightly unfair in that we've only seen two games but then I saw sixteen very similar games last season and I'm not sure how much more time Shurmur needs to be able to demonstrate he can make the best of what he has.

As of now, I'd maybe give him until mid-season because I'm not sure that Spags can afford to give him much longer.

Comment