Tanus' Random Ramblings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tanus' Random Ramblings...

1. Leonard Little is good, very very good. He might be the best player on our team. The tackle he had on third down when he chased Griese down from behind was marvelous.

2. It's good to see Arch finally make a big play this season. Hopefully, his back injury is behind him and we can continue to see play like this from him for the rest of the season.

3. The refs need to learn the laws of physics and realize its impossible for a guy to turn the way the Bucs defender turned if he got hit in the back.

4. Don't send Wilkins out to kick a 56 yard field goal when he has a dinged up plant foot. Heave it up into the end zone as you have better odds.

5. Marc Bulger has learned to throw the deep ball.

6. Marc Bulger needs to hold onto the ball better when getting sacked. I can handle 1 INT per game.

7. Grant Williams could cost us a game. Not truly his fault as he is slated for a backup tackle role.

8. This Rams D really does have a love/hate relationship with me. I'm not a huge fan of this bend but don't break crap, but it has worked for the last 3 games so I can't complain too much.

9. Larry Marmie actually had some great blitzes. The two he called before the Butler pick in the end zone were A+ in my book. Both should have been sacks but Coady just whiffed.

10. I love Steven Jackson. This is the best first round pick by the Rams since Holt.

11. I love Torry Holy. 2 TD's against the Bucs D is awesome.

12. It's good to see Hargrove in the mix making some things happen. Hopefully he continues to develop and is the starter next year at DE.

13. Trev Faulk is really missed on ST's.

14. Shaun McDonald makes me go Hakim who? He is turning out to be a great 4th round pick.

15. Kevin Curtis is starting to show why we picked a WR in the third round last year. He is starting to show that he was a great 3rd round pick.

16. Marshall has lost a step unfortunately. That being said, I still love the 1-2 punch that he and Jackson provide.

17. It is really tough to try and watch the Rams game, the Yankees/Sox game, and cook dinner at the same time.

18. I told you it was random as I have no idea where I am going with any of this.

Re: Tanus' Random Ramblings...

I agree with most of that. Not sure the Bulger's fumble was his fault. He had no time and the ball was punched out as he was going down. Grant Williams takes the blame for that one.

Comment

Thats definitely a valid opinion. Generally though, in my opinion, if the QB doesn't get blindsided then it is his fault if he fumbles. Obviously, if he gets hit from behind and the ball comes out, its the LT's fault and this is why the LT is paid more than the RT usually. To me, it looked like Bulger had both hands on the ball when he was getting sacked and it came out on his way down, not right when he got hit. To me, that signals the fumble as Bulger's fault. Just my opinion though.

Comment

Here's some random thoughts.

1. I want to smash John Gruden over the head with an ant farm so they all get in his hair, and when he walks out of his house, all the little kids in the neighborhood make fun of him and call him Johnny Johnny with the Anty Anty Scalpy Scalpy.

2. Somebody needs to hit Grant Williams in the face with a canoe.

Comment

Originally posted by ZigZagRam
          Here's some random thoughts.

1. I want to smash John Gruden over the head with an ant farm so they all get in his hair, and when he walks out of his house, all the little kids in the neighborhood make fun of him and call him Johnny Johnny with the Anty Anty Scalpy Scalpy.
          Note to networks: please stop showing close-ups of Gruden's facial contortions during the game. Thank you.

They tried, but it went right around him.

Comment

They tried, but it went right around him.
            Now that is funny!

Comment

Note to networks: please stop showing close-ups of Gruden's facial contortions during the game. Thank you
              Maybe it's just me, but I'm convinced that said facial contortions are totally
              premeditated for the cameras.
              Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Comment

Either that, or he had some bad clams for dinner.

Comment

Gruden doesn't have any clams.

Comment

Since clams are not kosher there is no such thing as a "bad" clam!!
                    Last edited by RAMarkable; -10-19-2004, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tanus
                      Thats definitely a valid opinion. Generally though, in my opinion, if the QB doesn't get blindsided then it is his fault if he fumbles. Obviously, if he gets hit from behind and the ball comes out, its the LT's fault and this is why the LT is paid more than the RT usually. To me, it looked like Bulger had both hands on the ball when he was getting sacked and it came out on his way down, not right when he got hit. To me, that signals the fumble as Bulger's fault. Just my opinion though.
                      In reality you could probably blame both Williams and Bulger for the fumble. In the replay it looked like Bulger knocked the football out of his own hand with his other hand as he was starting to cover up. Of course if Williams would have done a better job, the DE wouldn't have been grabbing at Bulger's arm as he was trying to cover the ball up.

Comment

5. Marc Bulger has learned to throw the deep ball.

Agreed...and this is a big deal for this team. Without at least the threat of the long ball, our offense is not what it is designed to be. If the deep ball returns consistently to our offense, McDonald and Curtis will really open the eyes of our opponents.
                        Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Comment

Originally posted by RAMarkable
                          Since clams are not kosher there is no such thing as a "bad" clam!!
                          Huh? What does that mean?

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• evil disco man
                            My Thoughts...
                            by evil disco man
                            On the game tonight.

- The team seemed genuinely enthusiastic despite their lackluster performance against the Chiefs and only a three-day break.

- Once again the Rams burned all their timeouts fairly early, but the call by the officials on the Challenge was bullcrap.

- Torry Holt was okay, I guess.

- The offensive line was surprisingly stout. They showed flashes of good run blocking early on and gradually got better as the game went on. The pass blocking was, for the most part, solid. Scott Tercero was horrible at right tackle as usual, Tom Nutten was unfortunately injured soon after he came in, and Chris Dishman was very slow on his pulls, but he's a big fella.

- I watched Brandon Manumaleuna as he pulled around to block for Marshall on one play, which looked like it would be a good gain, and he completely whiffed on his block.

- Isaac Bruce was Isaac Bruce.

- Marshall Faulk (as if I need to say his last name) was solid, but didn't show me anything to prove he hasn't lost a step.

- Steven Jackson seemed to get quicker and more consistent as the game went on. He carried the team on his shoulders moving downfield on a drive in the fourth. His strength along with his ability to read blocks and react impressed me greatly.

- Arlen Harris looks to be the same as last year. Boring, slow, but solid, especially for a fourth running back. Same with Dane Looker, minus the "slow" part (maybe?).

- Shaun McDonald and Kevin Curtis looked supremely superb. McDonald was quick, fluid, and breaking tackles while Curtis made an amazing catch that was called back (holding) and displayed blazing speed. Those shin splints are a thing of the past, methinks. At this point, Shaun seems to be leading the race for the slot position. I loved the play where he took the handoff as he was motioning across the field and took it around the corner for a first down.

- Bulger was off-mark on a couple passes as usual, but gave fans some optimism with his impressive play. Chandler was smart, accurate, and efficient as usual. He started off a bit slow (5/10 100 some yards and a pick) but tore it up the Skins' defense later on.

- Hell, even Jeff Smoker looked pretty good. His first pass was a beauty. As he turned around to roll out, he was met face-to-face with a Redskins defender, but immediately flipped the ball out for a nice completion.

- Erik Jensen dropped a pass that landed right in his cradle.

- The defensive line was better than I expected. Leonard made a couple plays, Bryce Fisher was efficient at right end, Erik Flowers was in on a lot of plays, and all three were making tackles against the run. Damione Lewis showed good pass rushing abilities on his late hit (&@%$!). The tackles overall seemed to hold their ground and even clogged the middle (gasp!) on...
                            -08-27-2004, 08:26 PM
                          • Nick
                            Rams @ Giants: Thoughts on the Game
                            by Nick
                            FIRST QUARTER

-Questionable call on that facemask against Fisher. If he got the facemask, he must have grazed it with his opposite hand. I sure didn't see it.

-Horrible coverage on that TD pass by Arch. He jumps up to try and contest the ball in the air, but his momentum is taking him opposite of the way Burress is running. So he basically took himself out of the play.

-O-line is already having problems against the Giants front seven. Two runs that get no where, and pressure from the left side that force Bulger into an off-target pass.

-Hodge's first official punt has absolutely no hang time. Yuck.

-Burress finds the hole in the zone as the Rams continue to not get good pressure on Eli Manning.

-Rams D beefs up on the second drive, sniffing out a tight end screen fairly well, and then Arch made up for his earlier mistake by breaking up a pass over the middle.

-Hargrove is doing well against his man. It might not show up on the stat sheet, but I've seen a couple of occasions where he's getting a good push and collapsing the pocket.

-Hedgecock's first catch... dropped because of a hit from Antonio Pierce.

-Great pass and catch to McDonald, and a pretty good spot by the officials for the first.

-And there's your typical deep in as Curtis gains 18 on the pass from Bulger, right over the linebackers. The more we can pick on this secondary, the better.

-This isn't good. Manumaleuna is already hurting, and now Roland Williams is on the field holding his right knee after a short gain. Now they bring out the cart, not a good sign.

-Wow, great job by Bulger hanging in the pocket for a hit, and nice grab by McDonald for a big gain.

-Awesome touchdown pass to Jackson in the flat, and good decision by Bulger to go there, though Strahan did a decent job in almost making a play on that ball. Red zone TD, baby!!

-Who in the world was supposed to be covering Buress on that deep pass? Fisher stopped as if he was going to get some help deep, but had none. Then a no-call on a clear block in the back on the reverse. Looks like the Rams are fighting the Giants and the officials for another weekend.

-Defense bends but doesn't break.... then breaks on fourth down as Toomer makes a great touchdown catch. This is what happens when receivers of six feet three inches or taller match up with corners that barely push 5'11".

-Rams special teams looked horrible on that kick return. The point of having guys in front of the return man is to block them.

-Fabulous no-call on the elbow drop to Jackson's head after a short run on first down.

-Nice call on the quick hit to Looker, almost had the first there too.

-Groce isn't going to arm tackle Burress. I don't know where he got the idea...
                            -10-02-2005, 01:46 PM
                          • Nick
                            Random Thoughts on Tonight
                            by Nick
                            -I'm concerned about our running game with Marshall Faulk in the backfield. I'd feel much better about the offense with Jackson in the backfield, if only because he seems to be able to pick up some yards. Marshall looks hesitant and seems to have lost any explosiveness he may have had. At least with Jackson he'll hit a hole and shed the initial tackle, plus some of his cutbacks looked great. He's really impressed me thus far in the preseason.

-Overall, I think Marc Bulger looked good tonight. On the first drive, I thought he did well. The second drive, well, he missed three receivers completely. Not impressive. The third drive was magic, IMO. He missed Curtis on what looked like a miscommunication, but was rock solid from there. Bulger's gotta have more accuracy on those open passes. There's no excuse for not being able to hit a wide open Holt for a gain of 20+. But I think looking at the entire game, he looked good tonight.

-Chandler's deep pass to Holt on the post... I think I shed a tear. It was like God was singing. It seems obvious that Chandler's more comfortable and accurate than Bulger is right now. Both have had their miscues, but Chandler has looked more accurate and more decisive. I have to wonder what role (1) his veteran experience and (2) the defenses he's going against play in this, though. I wasn't impressed by the deep pass that was intercepted. Way too much air under the ball, I thought. But that floater to McDonald in stride for the touchdown was a thing of beauty.

-Speaking of McDonald, he and Curtis are really coming into their own this preseason. I'm very excited about what the two of these guys will be able to do for the offense. Both of them look pretty speedy with great sets of hands.

-The blocking was much better this evening. Looked like the blitzes were being picked up well (I remember Goodspeed picking up a great inside rush), but I think the dreams of having Tercero at right tackle need to end NOW. The only memories I have about him for the game was whiffing on a rush that got Bulger sacked on the first drive, and a false start penalty. Move him back into the interior, I say, because he didn't look good as a tackle at all in my opinion. Furthermore, it wasn't that great to see Nutten leave the game with an injury. This was a concern when he decided to retire from the Jets, right? Not a good sign to see it so shortly after his coming back on the field.

-Defensively, I loved what we did with our first unit. Bryce Fisher was ALL OVER THE FIELD, or so it seemed. Pisa Tinoisamoa looks like a leader on defense. He had a couple of nice tackles and a great hit early in the game. Robert Thomas had a nice play where he penetrated into the backfield and tackled Portis for a loss. I thought our run defense was improved by 200%, but I'm not convinced whether we played better pass defense or Ramsey just struggled out there. He's been unimpressive this...
                            -08-27-2004, 11:38 PM
                          • AvengerRam_old
                            Polley's Resurgence, and other Random Thoughts
                            by AvengerRam_old
                            After being benched to start the year, and despite a rib injury, Tommy Polley has really stepped it up and contributed in the last three weeks. Over that span, he has 18 tackles, 2 sacks and a forced fumble. Nice to see him playing to his potential again.

The last two drafts have really started paying off with several contributers, including Pisa Tinoisamoa, Kevin Curtis, Sean McDonald, DeJuan Groce, Scott Tercero, Steven Jackson, Anthony Hargrove and Brandon Chillar.

I worried about a lot of things during the Seahawk game, but one thing that I did not worry about was whether Jeff Wilkins would make the kick to send the game into overtime. He is, indeed, money.

As much as I have come to dislike the Patriots, I hope they take care of the Seahawks this week.

I hope we see more screen passes to Jackson. Its great watching him run in the open field with smaller D backs trying to tackle him.

Is there still a Rams-Bucs rivalry? I guess we'll see on Monday.

On the Manumaleuna TD - I was trying to think of the last time I saw a man that big go that high up to grab a ball. I'm thinking it was when Charles Barkley was playing.

The cuisine report for Monday night's game: Chicken wings - probable. A green vegetable (other than celery sticks) - questionable. Carb-free BBQ sauce - doubtful. Tofu - out.

Am I the only one who thinks that Travis Fisher's return will be a huge boost to the defense?

Did you notice which RB picked up the blitz on Sean McDonald's game winning TD? I'll give you a hint... it wasn't Marshall Faulk (though he probably learned that from Marshall).

Anthony Hargrove will get his first NFL sack this week. Write it down.

Less than two weeks until the Rams visit me here in So. Fla.! Can't wait!
                            -10-14-2004, 11:57 AM
                          • AvengerRam_old
                            20 Quick Post-Bucs Game Thoughts
                            by AvengerRam_old
                            1. Whew!

2. First place feels pretty darn good right about now!

3. Way to go defense with 4 forced turnovers and a TD!

4. Big game for Big Game.

5. McDonald got absolutely robbed on a great punt return.

6. Man, did we miss Trev Faulk.

7. Steven Jackson's stats were not overwhelming, but he had a couple of key 3rd down conversions.

8. Faulk still knows how to find the holes - but lacks the burst to take full advantage of them.

9. Hope Wilkins plant foot ankle is okay.

10. Hargrove making progress.

11. Bulger continues to show the ability to shake off mistakes and make plays.

12. Funny how we're not hearing about the lack of a long ball any more.

13. Liked those two plays to Curtis in the fourth.

14. Nice to dispatch the Bucs.

15. Michael Clayton is a player.

16. The CB play for the Rams was horrible.

17. When is Travis Fisher coming back? (Soon, I hope.)

18. Did I mention that first place feels really good?

19. OUR BOYS ARE COMING TO MIAMI THIS WEEK! WOO-HOO!!!!

20. I'm tired, and I'm going to bed.
                            -10-18-2004, 09:44 PM
                          Working...
                          X