X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams end hex vs. Seattle

Rams end hex vs. Seattle
    R.B. FALLSTROM | AP Sports Writer | Posted: Sunday, October 3, 2010 6:12 pm

ST. LOUIS -- Steven Jackson was a question mark until the first snap.

There was no way he was going to miss this one for the St. Louis Rams. So, he went out and showed the Seattle Seahawks he could play hurt and still make a big impact.

"I knew I wouldn't be 100 percent, but I knew I had enough to give," said Jackson, who blocked out a strained groin Sunday. "I feel like the team is going in the right direction and I wanted to be a part of it."

The two-time Pro Bowler had 126 yards rushing and receiving, complementing another strong game by No. 1 pick Sam Bradford and a stout defense in a 20-3 victory Sunday that gave the Rams consecutive wins for the first time in two seasons.

Bradford, who threw two touchdown passes, knew he wouldn't have been nearly as effective without the two-time Pro Bowler in the lineup.

"I never doubted he would be out there," Bradford said. "He's a huge part of this offense. Anytime he's in the huddle, there's no doubt that it boosts the spirits of everyone in the huddle."

Jackson had 70 yards on 22 carries to pass Marshall Faulk for No. 2 on the Rams' rushing list, shaking off an injury that sidelined him the second half of last week's win over the Redskins. He added three catches for 54 yards, including a 49-yarder before Kenneth Darby scored on a 21-yard screen pass.

Officials stopped the game after a 15-yard gain early in the fourth quarter put Jackson ahead of Faulk. Jackson has 6,991 yards in seven seasons with the Rams and trails only Eric Dickerson, who had 7,245 yards from 1983-87.

"From Day 1, I set a tone that I wanted to leave here putting my footprint on this organization," Jackson said. "It's very meaningful, but I ain't in first place."

Bradford completed 23 of 41 passes with one interception as the Rams (2-2) ended a 10-game losing streak against Seattle and topped their win total from last year.

"It feels great," Bradford said. "To get ourselves to 2-2 and just be in the conversation for the division lead, I think that's big for this team."

Big for the Rams to get such poise so soon.

"We got after him pretty good, we chased him around a lot," Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said. "We're looking at a guy that's going to be a really big-timer."

The last time St. Louis won games was Weeks 5 and 6 of 2008 under interim head coach Jim Haslett.

Throughout the week, coach Steve Spagnuolo made sure players weren't content with winning just once.

"I was a little concerned that the hunger was gone," Spagnuolo said. "I thought the team came out with the right mind-set."

The Rams sacked Matt Hasselbeck four times, had one interception and forced a fumble. St. Louis' special teams bottled up returner Leon Washington, who had two touchdown returns last week, and Golden Tate, who had been averaging 25 yards on punt returns. There was no daylight for Washington (26.7 yard average) or Tate (6.0 yards) against the Rams.

"Excellent," Spagnuolo said. "I spent time talking about it and I don't know anything about special teams. There was a fire, an intent."

The Seahawks peaked with a 14-play drive in the first half that stalled, leaving them with only a chip-shot field goal by Olindo Mare. The Rams foiled a fake 51-yard attempt near the end of the half when Darby ran down holder Jon Ryan on a would-be roll-out pass to John Carlson.

Seattle averaged 29 points during its 10-game streak over the Rams dating to 2005, but is 3-18 in its last 21 road games. Two of the victories came in St. Louis.

The Seahawks scored their fewest points since a 44-6 loss Oct. 5, 2008, at the New York Giants.

"I give them credit, but that's not really the issue for us," Hasselbeck said. "We've got to get better and I've got to get better. I know I can and I know we can."

The Rams led 10-3 at the half, but missed a couple of chances in the second quarter that would have made it a much wider gap.

Brandon Fletcher's interception return to the 3 was wasted on Earl Thomas' end zone pick for Seattle, an errant throw that had a dismayed Bradford holding his helmet with both hands on his way to the sideline.

Notes: Rams CB Kevin Dockery injured his right hamstring in the third quarter after sustaining facial lacerations on the Seahawks' foiled fake field goal in the half. ... Seahawks LB Dexter Davis (hamstring) was sidelined in the second half. ... The Rams last held an opponent to single-figure scoring in a 9-7 loss at Washington in Week 2 last season. ... Seattle scored at least 23 points in all 10 of the victories in its streak against St. Louis.

Re: Rams end hex vs. Seattle

Every time Fletcher gets a pick someone gives him the wrong name! Last week, NFL.com called him Bradley Fisher, today this guy calls him Brandon Fletcher!
    @EssexRam_

Comment

Re: Rams end hex vs. Seattle

as long as fletcher keeps getting picks, i dont think anyone cares what they call him!

man oh man it feels great to beat the seahags, been a long time coming this one...

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
        Rams' Defense Stuffs Seahawks 20-3
        by r8rh8rmike
        Rams’ defense stuffs Seahawks 20-3
        By R.B. FALLSTROM, AP Sports Writer

ST. LOUIS (AP)—Steven Jackson was a question mark until the first snap.

There was no way he was going to miss this one for the St. Louis Rams. So, he went out and showed the Seattle Seahawks he could play hurt and still make a big impact.

“I knew I wouldn’t be 100 percent, but I knew I had enough to give,” said Jackson, who blocked out a strained groin Sunday. “I feel like the team is going in the right direction and I wanted to be a part of it.”

The two-time Pro Bowler had 126 yards rushing and receiving, complementing another strong game by No. 1 pick Sam Bradford and a stout defense in a 20-3 victory Sunday that gave the Rams consecutive wins for the first time in two seasons.

Bradford, who threw two touchdown passes, knew he wouldn’t have been nearly as effective without the two-time Pro Bowler in the lineup.

“I never doubted he would be out there,” Bradford said. “He’s a huge part of this offense. Anytime he’s in the huddle, there’s no doubt that it boosts the spirits of everyone in the huddle.”

Jackson had 70 yards on 22 carries to pass Marshall Faulk for No. 2 on the Rams’ rushing list, shaking off an injury that sidelined him the second half of last week’s win over the Redskins. He added three catches for 54 yards, including a 49-yarder before Kenneth Darby scored on a 21-yard screen pass.

Officials stopped the game after a 15-yard gain early in the fourth quarter put Jackson ahead of Faulk. Jackson has 6,991 yards in seven seasons with the Rams and trails only Eric Dickerson, who had 7,245 yards from 1983-87.

“From Day 1, I set a tone that I wanted to leave here putting my footprint on this organization,” Jackson said. “It’s very meaningful, but I ain’t in first place.”

Bradford completed 23 of 41 passes with one interception as the Rams (2-2) ended a 10-game losing streak against Seattle and topped their win total from last year.

“It feels great,” Bradford said. “To get ourselves to 2-2 and just be in the conversation for the division lead, I think that’s big for this team.”

Big for the Rams to get such poise so soon.

“We got after him pretty good, we chased him around a lot,” Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said. “We’re looking at a guy that’s going to be a really big-timer.”

The last time St. Louis won games was Weeks 5 and 6 of 2008 under interim head coach Jim Haslett.

Throughout the week, coach Steve Spagnuolo made sure players weren’t content with winning just once.

“I was a little concerned that the hunger was gone,” Spagnuolo said. “I thought the team came out with the right mind-set.”

The Rams sacked Matt Hasselbeck four times, had one interception and forced a fumble. St. Louis’ special teams...
        -10-03-2010, 07:19 PM
      • Nick
        Rams bury two streaks
        by Nick
        Rams bury two streaks
        BY JIM THOMAS • [email protected] > 314-340-8197 | Posted: Sunday, October 3, 2010 8:03 pm

The Rams can talk all they want about focusing on the present, and not worrying about the grisly past. But it was there in the background, lurking like a bogeyman in the shadows ... 10 straight losses to division rival Seattle. Fifteen straight defeats to NFC West foes.

But check a couple of more streaks off the list. Using strong defense, an inspiring performance by Steven Jackson and superb special teams play, the Rams slayed the dragon that is the Seahawks with a 20-3 victory Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome.

"I'm not overly excited about it," place-kicker Josh Brown said with a straight face. "I think Coach (Steve Spagnuolo) said it best. We expected to win this game. We prepared well. We worked hard this week. And it paid off. It absolutely paid off. We put them in some situations they couldn't get out of, and we just kept pushing and pushing and pushing."

And pushed themselves right into a share of the NFC West lead. The Rams, Seattle and Arizona all are 2-2 at the quarter pole of the 2010 season.

"It feels great," quarterback Sam Bradford said. "Especially starting out 0-2, and being so close to wins those first two weeks. To come back and battle back, get ourselves to 2-2 and just be in the conversation to be in the divisional lead, I think that's big for this team."

Bradford threw for 289 yards, his high total to date in the NFL, and tossed touchdown passes to Brandon Gibson and Kenneth Darby. His growth, his poise and his talent continue to impress.

"I don't even look at him as a rookie any more," right guard Adam Goldberg said. "He opens up so many things for us. He makes so many things possible."

But the real stories of the day were (1) Jackson, who had his second-highest workload of the season — 25 touches — with a sore groin. And (2) the St. Louis defense, which for the first time since 1978 has opened a season by giving up 17 points or fewer in its first four games.

Jackson did next to nothing in practice during the week and didn't come close to running full speed during pregame. But there was no way he was sitting this one out.

"I knew I had enough to give what Coach would need out of me," Jackson said. "I wanted to come out and be a part of something. I felt that this team is going in the right direction, and I just wanted to be a part of it today."

He also knew that 10 straight losses were enough when it came to the Seahawks.

"It's been a long time — 2004," Jackson said, referring to the last time the Rams had beaten Seattle. "I know we have a philosophy around here that we don't look back. But sometimes you just can't help but think...
        -10-03-2010, 06:37 PM
      • Nick
        Rams are a prime-time flop
        by Nick
        Rams are a prime-time flop
        BY JIM THOMAS | Posted: Monday, January 3, 2011 11:10 am

SEATTLE • In their biggest game in years, the new Rams looked suspiciously like the old Rams. You know, the Rams of 6-42, the gang that couldn't shoot straight, etc., etc.

With a playoff berth on the line, they gave up big plays at inopportune times, were guilty of costly penalties and couldn't move the ball to save their lives. On a night when Pro Bowl running back Steven Jackson vanished from the St. Louis offense, the Rams disappeared from postseason consideration, going quietly into the night at Qwest Field.

Even so, it was a one-possession game throughout the night. Or at least until Olindo Mare's third field goal of the game late in the fourth quarter made it a 16-6 victory for the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday night.

"I don't know if it's going to hit me until tomorrow or Tuesday when I'm not watching the film of the opponent for the next week," quarterback Sam Bradford said. "It's just frustrating to get this far and have an opportunity to make the playoffs. And to come up short."

Simply stated, the Rams looked like they weren't ready for the big stage of Sunday night football and their first prime-time game since 2007. With the injured Matt Hasselbeck sitting this one out, the Rams were beaten by a quarterback, Charlie Whitehurst, making his second NFL start.

"It just kind of makes you sick," linebacker James Laurinaitis said. "It's tough to take. We've got to use it as motivation to keep going (next season)."

Laurinaitis disputed the notion that the moment may have been too big for the Rams.

"No, no, this moment wasn't too big," he said. "We were ready for it, and we were ready for the noise and we embraced it. I love atmospheres like this - this is football right here."

On the other side of the ball, the Rams were absolutely throttled, to the point of embarrassment, by the league's 30th-ranked defense. They finished with only 184 yards on offense and reached the red zone only twice, settling for field goals both times. And amazingly, Jackson had only 11 carries on the night.

"I'd have to look at it," coach Steve Spagnuolo said when asked about Jackson's low carry total. "We're not counting 'em and that as we go."

On this night the journeyman (Whitehurst) outplayed the No. 1 overall draft pick (Bradford), completing 22 of 36 passes for 192 yards, one touchdown and a passer rating of 84.5. Bradford threw for just 155 yards and threw a costly interception with 8 minutes, 42 seconds to play on the Rams' last real scoring chance of the game.

So it's the Seahawks who enter the playoffs as the first team in NFL history to qualify for postseason play with a losing record. (Two 4-5 teams qualified for...
        -01-03-2011, 11:30 AM
      • r8rh8rmike
        Thomas: Seahawks Squeeze The Life Out Of The Rams
        by r8rh8rmike
        Seahawks squeeze the life out of Rams

BY JIM THOMAS
        Sunday, November 20, 2011

The start was promising, with the Rams scoring a first-quarter touchdown for the first time since opening day. But the finish was as disheartening as it gets.

Seattle's defense gradually put a stranglehold on quarterback Sam Bradford, running back Steven Jackson and the rest of the St. Louis offense.

Rams first downs were a rarity. Red zone opportunities were mere rumor. Jackson's string of three consecutive 100-yard games ended with a thud, and strangely, offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels went with a ton of empty backfields, leaving no guesswork for Seattle as to what the Rams' intentions were.

The result was a 24-7 loss, a 2-8 record for coach Steve Spagnuolo and the Rams, and an eighth-straight season without a winning record for St. Louis.

It's actually over for the Rams in the NFC West, and they haven't even played the division leader yet. The NFC West-leading San Francisco *****, who the Rams don't play until Dec. 4, improved to 9-1 by beating Arizona. The best the Rams can finish is 8-8.

The ineptitude of the Rams on offense wasted another good effort by the defense. The Rams had only six interceptions in their first nine games of the season; they had two in the first 5 minutes of play Sunday to help them take an early 7-0 lead.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll opened with a trick play, and it worked like a charm. Wide receiver Sidney Rice took the handoff from quarterback Tarvaris Jackson on an end-around, but then Rice gathered himself and threw a deep ball to wide receiver Mike Williams, who had gotten behind Rams cornerback Josh Gordy for a 55-yard gain.

Seattle couldn't stand the prosperity, with Rams linebacker Chris Chamberlain stepping in front of Williams for his first career interception. The Rams couldn't do much with that turnover, punting after just one first down.

But the Rams got the ball right back, just three plays after a Donnie Jones punt, when safety Quintin Mikell intercepted a Jackson pass over the middle intended for Ben Obomanu. Mikell returned his pick 11 yards to the Seattle 27. After Steven Jackson was dropped for a three-yard loss, Bradford threw a 30-yard touchdown pass to Brandon Lloyd who beat cornerback Richard Sherman on the play.

That 7-0 lead lasted until midway through the second quarter. The Rams gradually got back up on field position, with a couple of low-hanging Jones punts returned for 37 and 25 yards by Seattle's Leon Washington. The 25-yard return got Seattle started on the St. Louis 40, with the Seahawks evening the score at 7-7 on a 14-yard TD pass from Jackson to Sidney Rice, who beat Justin King on a slant pattern.

The Rams managed only two first downs for the rest of the half following Lloyd's TD, and had terrible field position....
        -11-20-2011, 06:47 PM
      • RamFan_Til_I_Die
        Scoreless in Seattle: Spagnuolo era opens with a thud
        by RamFan_Til_I_Die
        Scoreless in Seattle: Spagnuolo era opens with a thud
        Associated Press

SEATTLE -- The feisty, new-look Seahawks of coach Jim Mora attacked on defense during plays -- and scrapped after them.

On offense, they showed balance between run and pass, and did a good job of protecting quarterback Matt Hasselbeck.

It was as if 2008 never happened.

St. Louis resembled the same old Rams, who hired Steve Spagnuolo as their head coach after going 2-14 last year.

Hasselbeck, playing his first game since Thanksgiving Day, overcame two interceptions in his first three throws Sunday to connect with John Carlson for two touchdowns in Seattle's 28-0 romp past the Rams.

Hasselbeck, who missed nine games last season with a bad back, finished 25 of 36 for 279 yards passing, his most for an opener.

Seattle's first shutout in almost two years was its ninth consecutive win over its division rivals. It was also Seattle's biggest win to begin a season since a 38-0 victory over Philadelphia in 1998.

"The whole offseason, they said our team was soft," said rookie outside linebacker Aaron Curry, the fourth overall pick who scuffled repeatedly with Rams running back Steven Jackson. "We've got to change our image."

Mora was smiling after his first game as a head coach since the end of the 2006 season for Atlanta. Nine months ago, the Seahawks were 4-12 for Mike Holmgren.

The former visiting locker room attendant for the Seahawks at the old Kingdome returned to his hometown for a day he said he'd thought of "for a long, long time."

"It was especially emotional for me, because there is some significance to it. I'd be lying if I told you there wasn't," the 47-year-old said. "It was kind of a surreal experience."

His revived Seahawks took advantage of a rare use of instant replay to cruise over the sloppy, undisciplined Rams, who pushed and shoved their way to 10 penalties.

Two of them were personal fouls after plays by offensive lineman Richie Incognito.

"Would you rather us just get our tail kicked and walk back (to the huddle)?" Jackson said. "You saw some fight in this team."

Yet, St. Louis gained just 247 yards in an effort similar to its 38-3 loss against Philadelphia that opened last season.

"Yeah, I'm not going there,'' said Spagnuolo, who was the Giants' defensive coordinator at the time. "This was the first game of the 2009 season, that's what it is. We didn't win. We will play the second game of the 2009 season next week. ''

The game's most decisive -- and weirdest -- play came late in the first half. Seattle's Olindo Mare struck a 49-yard field-goal attempt low. C.J. Ah You blocked it, and three other Rams could have.

-09-14-2009, 08:53 AM
      Working...
      X