Steven Jackson Blog: A Week To Remember

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steven Jackson Blog: A Week To Remember

Steven Jackson | A Week to Remember | Official Website of Steven Jackson www.sj39.com

10/07/2010 - 02:02
    A Week to Remember
    by Steven Jackson

Welcome back to my blog, everybody. It's been a great week for the Rams, and a great week to be a Rams fan.

I have to start this out with a shoutout to all of my fans. The encouragement I've been receiving from you all has been very humbling. You have been there since day one, supporting me through the thick and thin, and acknowledging my efforts and my competitive spirit. It's something that I will always have and the support is something I'll never overlook. I'm greatly thankful for my fans and their kind words.

The Rams fan base as a whole has been amazing. To give them something to cheer about has been special. The Dome is starting to get loud again. With the noise they're creating, offenses are picking up penalties, which are helping us. To be able to have them behind us, to support us and give us energy, it's been a blessing.

It really does help a lot. It allows for the us to feed off the energy that the crowd is creating for us to give our team that extra boost and pull out whatever we have left in us. The win over Seattle was great for all of us and I just knew going in that I had to be in there with this team.

I knew that this win could potentially propel us to turn this organization and this team around because Seattle has had our number for so long. Our last win against them was in a 2005 playoff game my rookie year. It's been quite some time since we had a chance to beat that organization and since then, the division has been going through either Seattle or Arizona for the title.

Every year we set a goal to win our division and then hopefully to go on and win a Super Bowl, but in order to even get to the playoffs, you have to win your divisional games. It was a huge game that we all knew was going to be a tough task. They've had our number. They know our personnel really well. They're a team that matches up with us really well.

So last week when I injured my groin and I had my MRI and everything came out to be a minor deal, I wanted to take every chance to leave the window of opportunity open to play in the game. I knew then that I was going to do everything in my power to make sure I could get out there and play.

I worked like crazy to get myself back and be able to take part in that game. I felt like, even if I didn't have a lot of yards, or statistically my numbers weren't that impressive, my presence would draw enough attention that it would allow our other playmakers on the field to get open. I knew I could play that chess match with the other players and Seattle's defensive coordinator.

I didn't go into the game thinking I was going to break an NFL record or anything but I knew that me at 80 percent or 90 percent was still going to be enough to keep the Seattle defense honest. Now with Sam and our receiving corps emerging, they were going to have to pick their poison.

With that said, I was able to get enough yardage to pass Marshall Faulk and become the No. 2 leading rusher in Rams history. Since day one, since stepping into this organization, I've always said that I wanted to lead this organization in all the rushing categories. To be one step closer to doing that is almost breathtaking.

All the hard work over the years is starting to pay off, all the yardage is starting to pile up and I want to continue to represent this organization in a fine manner. I will make you all proud.

SAFE AND SECURE
    I have a lot of people to thank for helping me to get ready to play this week.

First of all is God. God had everything to do with it. I prayed about it and I really leaned upon him and showed faith and trust that he was going to protect me.

Second is my doctor that I worked with, Dr. Clayton Skaggs. We put in countless hours together outside of Rams Park. My typical day ends at 4:30 and I wasn't getting home until 7 p.m. last week.

We were just rehabbing the muscles, making sure that I was doing some of the exercises that are appropriate to get the groin muscles firing and working that way it didn't get weak on me. So I put a lot of hours in outside of the daily routine of an NFL season.

A couple times last week, if you were following me on Twitter, you saw me tweeting at four in the morning because I was stimulating my groin. I put countless hours into rehabbing it and I will continue to do that. I'm not just going to do that for one week. I'm going to do it until the muscle is completely healed.

Then I have to thank the trainers for coming up with this wrap that kept my groin from moving around during the game. To keep me from overextending, we knew it was something that I was going to have to wear in order to play.

During the course of the game, obviously, I had it pretty padded up. I had to wear two pairs of compression shorts. Then I also had it wrapped up in this contraption to make sure that my leg didn't overextend in my stride. This made it so that if my leg got caught in a funny position it wouldn't get pulled to a point where it made it worse.

So I felt like my leg was secure, it was just not going to allow me to run full tilt. I wasn't going to be able to be the explosive person that I am, but I knew I was sacrificing that going into the game.

There was one particular screen play in the game where I had to really control myself and not do too much.

When I broke loose on that play, I didn't think I was going to be able to outrun anybody because of the injury. I just didn't want to set myself back and have it where once I started running full speed maybe I popped my groin muscle.

So I was consciously trying to make sure I took into account my stride length and then secondly protect the ball. Knowing that I wasn't going to outrun anyone, I was pretty sure they were going to be coming, scratching and clawing to try and pull the ball out.

TRUE TEAM EFFORT
    Our newcomers have really been making this team click and obviously we made the right moves this offseason.

You all know about Sam, but Mark Clayton has been a revelation for us. He's made a world of difference in the receiving game, making plays down the field. Our left tackle Roger Saffold has been really good, especially for a rookie. He's only had four NFL starts, but he's been impressive and he's getting better each and every day.

All of our receivers have stepped up. Brandon Gibson another young receiver that came in midway through last season is showing spurts of playmaking ability and then of course, Danny Amendola. He's been all over the place, not only on offense, but on special teams as well. He's been a real bright spot for this whole season so far. That one-handed catch he made on Sunday was amazing. I thought it should have been number one for Play of the Week. It was a beautiful catch, one of the best I've ever seen.

But as much credit as our offense should get for Sunday's win, our defense deserves just as much.

I'm very proud of our defense. I've seen this defense transform into one that now believes that they're going to go in, stop the running game and make a quarterback win the game with their arm. They're daring quarterbacks to do so. It's quite a thing to watch. It's been good to just see the confidence and look into each other's eyes and feel that, no matter what adversity hits, we can pull ourselves out of it.

Our defensive line has been great at creating havoc and chaos in the quarterback's face. These last two weeks they've faced Donovan McNabb and Matt Hasselbeck so they've faced some very talented, wise, veteran quarterbacks and have even frustrated those guys. Our whole defense has stepped up.

I think a lot of people just slept on our team in general, but the way our defense is performing has been quite impressive. Coach has always talked about being ballhawkers, creating turnovers and putting the quarterback in distress. To see the philosophy that he's been standing up there talking about come out each and every Sunday, it's really something. When you get to see it and then you go back and think about all the locker room talks and all the meetings. You realize this is what it's all about. It's pretty cool.

UNSPOKEN BOND
    Coach Spagnuolo has done a good job of putting together a staff that would put in countless hours and is willing to work with the players and make sure everyone is on the same page, speaking the same language.

That's a lot on his plate. He came into a team that had a lot of holes in it. For him to start filling the holes up right away says a lot about his leadership, He's a guy that's optimistic, he sees the good in all situations and he never allows you to get caught in an emotional roller coaster.

He's even keel and he makes sure that we as players are even keel. Everything that he's taught since day one, everything that he's preached since day one, has been consistent and I can rest assured that, five years from now, it will still be the same thing. That's what I like about him. You never have to question where you stand with him and there's never a gray area. He always seems to have an answer.

Although coach and I have a close relationship, we don't meet regularly and if anything major needs to be addressed within the team, that's when we look to each other, if we need something out of one another.

But basically we just talk to team about what we see. If practice is sluggish, or something is going on in the building that needs to be addressed, that's really the only time we're in communication. He fully trusts in me that I'm going to do my job and I'm going to take care of any issues in the locker room. I don't have to bring every little thing to him and I think he likes it that way.

AVOIDING OVERCONFIDENCE
    I think it's way too early to give me too much credit though until things turn around, because we haven't done anything yet.

But I'm just staying true to who I am and true to the course. I continue to trust and believe that things will turn for the better. I've always had this competitive spirit and the fire in me. What's now being appreciated is the wherewithal I've had over the years to get to this point.

At the same time, it is definitely gratifying to see that things are starting to turn around and winning is starting to become contagious. But as one of the leaders of this team and someone that fully grasps coach's concept of how he wants things, we just have to treat things day-to-day and can't get caught up and start believing what we read about ourselves. We have to continue to chop wood.

My expectation is the same as it was starting the season. We would like to win the NFC West division but we have to take it one day at a time and one game at a time.

We have a tough opponent coming up in the Detroit Lions and although their record says they're 0-4, they've had a lot of close games that they could easily have won. We know how that feels and so I don't think this is going to be a trap game, I don't think this will be a game we overlook. We're going to take the Detroit Lions very seriously.

The easiest way to get to the postseason is to win every game so that's what all of our focus is on, the next one, the Detroit Lions.

As for me, right now I feel good. My leg didn't take any setbacks on Sunday. But it's still not 100 percent and to get to the point where it is 100 percent, I'm just going to have to rehab and continue to take care. I'll continue to do the things that I was doing last week and I expect to back out there in Detroit.

Re: Steven Jackson Blog: A Week To Remember

awesome read.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
      Lots of good team quotes for the week
      by RamWraith
      Head Coach Scott Linehan

September 19, 2007

(Opening Remarks)

“Drew (Bennett), he got all of practice in so there shouldn’t be any issue with him playing this week. He was limited some, but just because we kept him out of things. Marc (Bulger) had full participation in practice. He was limited a little bit in his throwing, but he should be fine. Tye Hill did not practice. Richie Incognito did not practice. Claude Terrell had full practice and Pisa (Tinoisamoa) was limited. We’re headed in the right direction as far as getting guys back on the field. There shouldn’t be any surprises, hopefully we don’t have another Thursday like we had last week. Tomorrow we should be okay.”

(On G Milford Brown)

“He’s fine. There was no problem with him recovering from post game. He was a lot better yesterday and he went full today.”

(On T Alex Barron’s attributes)

“His athleticism. He’s ability to match up against speed. He has enough size to anchor. The ends aren’t getting any smaller these days. You go against some pretty incredible athletes over there. He’s been going against some pretty good ones on the other side. It’s kind of 50-50. He’s at the blind side of a right-handed quarterback. That’s very important for your quarterback knowing he’s going to see things to his right and to his left. He has to count on that guy and Alex’s No. 1 ability is to pass protect. He’s become a lot better run blocker as he’s progressed in his career. His overall talent. He’s really improved since he’s played for us in the last two years, and certainly since he came in the league.”

(On how to reduce the number of hits on the quarterback)

“You have to do it. The No. 1 best way to protect your quarterback is the run game. We have to get our run game going. It has not been satisfactory in the first two games. That has to be our strength – for our football team to run the ball offensively and to stop the run defensively. If you get your run game going there is a certain amount of respect that the defense gives the run game and it definitely helps your pass protection and puts you in better third-down position which is critical when you get in third-and-long or extra long. It gets the defensive ends; I know our defense is much, much better, when we get in those long-area situations because we’re equipped that way as far as our speed and all that. Until we do that it’s going to be a concern. There are other ways, protection schemes. It’s not always match protecting or keeping lots of people in. There is timing of routes. Everyone knows we have a deeper design to a number of our plays, but we have to pick and chose when we do those as well.”

(On averaging 5-6 yards a carry for a short period of time in each of the first two games)

“We’ve managed...
      -09-19-2007, 03:56 PM
    • RamWraith
      Linehan and others comments
      by RamWraith
      Rams Head Coach Scott Linehan

September 17, 2008

(Opening Remarks)

The out players are (WR) (Drew) Bennett and (WR) (Keenan) Burton. Burton did have the scope yesterday afternoon, everything went great, wasn’t anything more than what we thought. He’ll be out for the bye right now for him, we’ll see where he is at that point. (G) (Jacob) Bell and (DE) (Leonard) Little were limited in practice as far as their participation, but we’ll know probably by Friday, I would think, it might be a gameday decision, but probably by Friday.”

(On if there’s any lineup changes)

“Not anything yet. Even if we did we wouldn’t announce it.”

(On if there are going to more changes on the offensive side of the ball)

“Kicker. We’re not going to play (K) Josh Brown, he’s just too nervous going back to Seattle.”

(On why he doesn’t want to announce any of lineup changes)

“I don’t see an upside about having any personnel changes in what we do the week before. I don’t think there’s any upside to it as far as, given the information, it has nothing to do with giving it to you guys it has more for what we’re doing for the gameplan.”

(On the snowball effect of losing consecutive games and what’s different this week)

“Because we’ve only played two games. Really, every year is a different schedule and timing of things, all that stuff, and we didn’t play particularly well in our first two games, but we played two tough opponents that were probably preseason, Super Bowl, got a lot of accolades as to what they were going to do. We would like to be sitting here in a better situation after two games, but also knowing who we played, and it’s not like it's getting any easier, but I just feel, this is our first division game. Really all the goals we’ve set for our team are right in front of us at this point in the season. Every season, in my lifetime and it might be different for other people, but in my lifetime, has just had a unique feel or flavor to it and this will be no different in my opinion. The guys have been really, really responsive to rebounding and so we’ll see, but I just have a good feeling about it.”

(On the atmosphere and attitude on the first day of the work week)

“That’s great; actually it was really good. I didn’t expect any different, but you still have to see. Everybody in the building has to be consistent in that way and I think it’s been outstanding. Again, it’s early and we’d like to go back and have a couple do-overs, but that’s not the way life is and that’s definitely not the way football is so if we can keep our head and wits about us, we can really, really get something going at this point because it’s still early in the season and we’re in a good spot. We haven’t played in...
      -09-18-2008, 04:21 AM
    • RamWraith
      Head Coach Jim Haslett December 3
      by RamWraith
      Rams Head Coach Jim Haslett

December 3, 2008

(Opening Remarks)

“Injury wise, (DE) Victory Adeyanju has a neck (injury) and he was limited today. He’ll be day-to-day. We’ll see how he goes. (LB) Chris Draft practiced today with his broken foot, I thought he did ok, we’ll see how he is tomorrow. (CB) Tye Hill was running on the side, but he still…we’ll have to make a decision on him pretty soon. I think that’s the three major ones.”

(On if G Richie Incognito is ok and if he had to take a psyche test)

“Yeah (he’s ok). No, he didn’t have to take one, he’s fine, he practiced today, he did fine.”

(On if they will have to keep WR Donnie Avery out to rest)

“He sat, he did all the walk-throughs, he did individual walk-through and then we took him out of all the team stuff. Him and (WR) (Keenan) Burton and (WR) Torry (Holt) was limited. We tried to give the receivers a break today; they’ve been running a lot.”

(On CB Tye Hill’s injury)

“Well, we have to make a decision. Him sitting around doing nothing, this is week six and sooner or later you have to get back on the field. He’s been hurt for, this is what, he missed eight games last year and he’s going to miss 10 games this year and another 12 games this year, that’s a lot of games.”

(On if he thinks RB Steven Jackson is full-go)

“I think you have to have to ask him, so we don’t have a conflict here, but he looked fine to me today. I thought he was fine.”

(On if he plans on giving RB Steven Jackson more touches this Sunday)

“Yeah, I think they’ll be more. We’ll sit down, based on how he feels this week, we’ll try to give him…he looked good to me today, so we’ll add some of the reps based off how he feels. But he’ll get back in the swing of things full-go here. I thought he looked pretty good today.”

(On how much it means to the team to have RB Steven Jackson on the field)

“He’s a great football player. Any time you lose a player, he’s probably the best player on our football team, if you lose a guy like that and it means a lot to you. It means a lot to your offense obviously, and it means a lot to your defense because it keeps them off the field. You saw the results last week; I thought the defense played better, obviously, when you play less time. And it helps special teams because the field position. We said it from day one that for us to win games Steven has to do a great job of running the football along with ‘Pitt’ (RB Antonio Pittman) and (RB) (Ken) Darby as a compliment and (QB) Marc (Bulger) has to manage the game well.”

(On if he talked to RB Steven Jackson about the comment he made in the locker room last Sunday)

“Yeah,...
      -12-03-2008, 03:10 PM
    • RamWraith
      Bulger and Jackons quotes November 14
      by RamWraith
      QB Marc Bulger

November 14, 2007

(On the improved performance of the offense in the last two games)

“I’d say a big part of that is Steven (Jackson). You can’t ignore the fact that when he’s in there good things happen. He just brings that energy we need in the huddle and if we can keep him healthy I think we’ll continue to get better and score more points.”

(On being more in sync with his receivers against New Orleans than any other game this year)

“I think just having that extra second to let them get open. Those guys know when I’m getting hit early that they have to break their routes off short and our timing gets off, but when they know I’m getting time and the line’s going, they can get that extra move and know that I can hold it and they can get that separation. There’s definitely more separation this week than in the past and I think that’s because of the line giving me more time.”

(On WR Drew Bennett)

“His health is good – that helps. We worked on that play in the end zone. We didn’t hook up earlier in the year. I threw an interception because I don’t think we were on the same page. We made a conscious effort to work on that. We got the matchup we wanted and it was just nice that we practiced it while the defense was going last week and it paid off. He did a good job on some deep routes, too, so if we can keep getting him going it’ll take some pressure off of Ike (Isaac Bruce) and Torry (Holt), too.”

(On the ***** pass rush)

“It’s a 3-4, which is a little different. They do like to blitz the inside guys a lot. I just don’t think we played well up front last time. I think would tell you that. We did get some big plays and threw for a lot of yards, but it was at the expense of getting me killed. We just have to do a better job up front of establishing a running game, which will help. I think our defense is playing better. If they can give us some good field position, that will help. If we play from behind, that hurts, too.”

(On being named NFC Offensive Player of the Week)

“When you’re a quarterback and you get it, it’s a whole offensive award. When receivers get it or a running backs gets it, it’s an individual thing. It’s not a big deal, it just shows that our line played well, our receivers played well, Steven played well. It’s a good thing for our offense.”

(On how you become a better team at this point in the season)

“Keep winning games. You hear college coaches and NFL coaches say how good of a team you are, but in this business it’s about winning and the bottom line. If you’re 1-8, you’re not a good team. If we can win a couple more games and get a more respectable record then I can say we’re a better team, but we’re still 1-8 and that’s a bad football...
      -11-14-2007, 05:11 PM
    • RamWraith
      Locker Room Quotes
      by RamWraith
      Wednesday, January 5, 2005

S Adam Archuleta

(On how it feels to be in the playoffs)
      "This is three times in four years for me. It's definitely a better feeling than going home and being in Arizona right now. Which definitely could have happened. It feels good, especially after everything that we have been through, to get a chance to go on."

(On his back)
      "It is what it is. It's a situation where I have had to pretty much battle it out, and grind it out throughout the end of the year. Really the only thing that is going to help is rest and rehabilitation. It's been manageable, I've been able to play and get through it, and it's starting to feel better. But Just like any injury, there's setbacks. It's just football, it's NFL football. I think it is evident that I haven't been as physical (this year). I'm not a guy who is going to sit here and make excuses, and say, 'the back has done this, and it's affected me this way,' because I still have a responsibility to my teammates and this organization to go out there and do my job. I know that I haven't forgot how to play football, to be physical, and how to run around and fly around. It just doesn't happen overnight. I have to say that due to not being able to workout throughout the season, my body going a little bit downhill, and not having that explosion and that pop, I have to say that it has been a factor."

(On how he hurt his back originally)
      "It was in training camp. I had a back twinge. It was kind of my fault, I tend to overlook little injuries. Throughout my career they've always kind of gone away and taken care of themselves. So I really didn't say anything about it. This time it just kept getting worst. After the Arizona game I went to (Rams' Athletic Trainer) Jim (Anderson) and said, 'Jim, my back is really tightened up, it's really starting to bother me.' Then we took the MRI and saw that there were some disc issues, and it just kind of snowballed from there. So it's a little bit of my fault for not taking care of it when it first started acting up, and just kind of let it get out of control."

(On how frustrating his injury is)
      "Like I said, it's frustrating because I have an obligation to my teammates. That's what they expect out of me, and that's what I was brought here to do. When I don't bring that style of play, when I don't bring that intimidating physical presence to the defense, to me I feel like I let everybody down. It's hard to look at the guys in their eyes when I had an opportunity to make a play and I didn't make a play. It's hard as a football player, and it's been difficult."

(On if will be back to 100% next year)
      "I'm fine. Trust me, this won't happen again. I've learned a lot about how to take care of my body through this experience. I just can't ignore things, and put them...
      -01-06-2005, 05:27 AM
    Working...
    X