Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wake up and smell the defense (hint: it doesn't stink!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wake up and smell the defense (hint: it doesn't stink!)

Here are some stats that may surprise you.

Rams rank (NFL) in defensive categories:

Yards/Game: 16th
    Rushing Yards/Game: 14th
    Passing Yards/Game: 20th
    Points Allowed/Game: 10th
    3rd Down %: 5th
    Sacks: 6th
    Forced Fumbles: 2nd (tied)

I'm just going to come out and say it... the Rams have a pretty good defense.

There is a lot going into this mix. In no particular order, I'd say the key factors are:

*Second year in Spagnuolo/Flajole system
    *Great contribution from veterans (Robbins, Hall, Atogwe)
    *Development of young players (Long, Laurinaitis, Grant)
    *Nice addition of role players from rookie crop (Selvie, Murphy)
    *Solid CB play from starers (Bartell, Fletcher)
    *Willingness to blitz

While the Rams need to acquire more depth at the offensive skill positions, they should not neglect to continue to build up this defense. They may be only a couple of players away from being a top defense in this league.

Re: Wake up and smell the defense (hint: it doesn't stink!)

I agree, Av. I'd still like to see some more consistency out of the defense, but there's no doubt they're making some big strides this year.

As you pointed out, they're getting key contributions from veterans like Robbins and Hall. If those guys were eight years younger, I wouldn't be concerned about them at all. But as you said, the Rams can't neglect to continue to build this unit up, especially in areas like DT and DE where aging veterans are having great seasons but may not be long-term fixes.

With a couple of improvements in some key areas on this unit, this group could really be a major strength in the years ahead.

Comment

I am so glad that the number "32nd" isn't next to any of these!!!! Things are looking better and it is fun to watch the games again because of our defense.... and Sam.

Comment

A couple of other positive about the defense...

No one has converted a 4th down on this defense.

and

We are in the top half of the league on passes defended.

One negative is they have the 2nd most penalties in the league giving our opponents an extra 64 yards per game. I'm guessing this is a combination of our aggressive playing + young players... The good news is this is an area that will improve with experience and doesn't require additional players to fix.

Comment

Nice to see we actual have a good pass rushing unit!!

Comment

Here's one you guys are leaving out:

This defense has not given up a touchdown in the first quarter.
            "I've been saving the Universe for over a thousand years. I figure it owes me just this once."

Comment

Their defense is good enough for me to have the rams defense start over other teams that I have on my fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by sjacksonrules View Post
                Their defense is good enough for me to have the rams defense start over other teams that I have on my fantasy team.
                I'm not a fantasy football guy, but I do remember hearing ESPN's fantasy "expert" saying in the early weeks of the season "you should start pretty much any player against the Rams defense." Wonder how those words taste now.

Comment

Great insights. Having our defense play well will be like having a 12th offensive player for us. We need to use the draft to fill in and groom younger players. Devaney and Spags will know what to do. Looking forward to the next 10 games.

Go Rams!

Comment

8th in completion % against
                    14th in YPA against
                    13th in passing rating against

Comment

Nice post AV, I also would add tthey are getting there with 4 down linemen.

Comment

And lets not forget many of these stats were blown back after the Detroit game. Best Rams defense I have seen in years.

Comment

It's good to see these stats.

The only thing I want is to see more consistency out of our defense, especially our secondary. Fletcher didn't look quite as solid as usual against the Chargers.

If we can keep our pass rush as fierce as this week's, then we will a fearsome defense.

Comment

I think our biggest X factor in the defense is our young guns. Laurinitis is leading the fresh faces. I look forward to seeing these guys develop over the next couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                              They're getting key contributions from veterans like Robbins and Hall. If those guys were eight years younger, I wouldn't be concerned about them at all. But as you said, the Rams can't neglect to continue to build this unit up, especially in areas like DT and DE where aging veterans are having great seasons but may not be long-term fixes.
                              This is an excellent point that I am glad you touched upon Nick. I still strongly believe that this team still needs a young stud DT and a young speed rushing DE opposite of Long. Now, I know it's way too early to begin talking about the draft, but I'm not a fan of picking a wide receiver in the first round. I'd rather see the team team continue to build on the strength of the defense and truly make it a dominant force.

However, the boys have done me very proud this year. Great play all around!:helmet:

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• eldfan
                                Rams defense high on the intangibles list
                                by eldfan
                                By VanRam Truf Show

Using the game charting data from Football Outsiders, Yahoo Sports has a look at the NFL's All-intangible team. Several players from the St. Louis Rams defense make the cut.

The names won't exactly surprise you. These three players, two of them pre-date Spagnuolo, made up the foundation of the Rams defense this year, just one year removed from being the league's second worst defense.

Let's take a look at the players that made the All-Intangibles cut.

DE Chris Long - No surprise here. Long commanded the attention of opposing double teams all season. He didn't actually lead the team in sacks - James Hall did with 10.5 - but he did lead the league with 38 quarterback hurries, a sign of just how often he was in the backfield. That was a big help to another player on the intangibles list...

CB Ron Bartell - Yes, the dropped interceptions haunt us, but Bartell was excellent in coverage all season. Of 78 passes thrown his direction (completions and incompletions) he had a yards per pass of 4.7 YPP, second best in the league.

A new addition to the Rams starting lineup in 2010 had a big impact on the defense's overall improvement.

DT Fred Robbins - Remember when the Rams used to get gashed by running backs of all stripes? Backup runners piled up numbers that would be a good game for Adrian Peterson against the Rams defenses of old. Not this year. The Rams run defense had a 0.5 percent DVOA this year (20th); the year before they had a 10.8 percent DVOA against the run, the league's worst. Robbins limited opposing rushers to just 0.1 yards per carry (obviously that's on runs in his direction) the best mark in the league.

If the Rams can get another year like that out of Robbins and address a glaring need at weakside linebacker, they could have a really elite run defense. Think of what those run defense numbers would have been with a stouter DT next to Robbins too.
                                -01-29-2011, 07:54 PM
                              • RebelYell
                                The defense
                                by RebelYell
                                The Rams defense is 19th in the league for YPG. Considering they didn't invest a lot of money in that side of the ball in the offseason, that's a major improvement over last year. Also add in the fact that the offense is still horrible, that's a massive improvement.

If during the offseason they can add about $8 million in salary cap for that side of the ball with a DE (no addition with Little leaving), DT and SLB, that could lead to a very good defense down the line.

People can bash the Rams but this defense is good.
                                -10-05-2009, 12:38 PM
                              • live4ramin
                                Could it be? Defense...
                                by live4ramin
                                My love of football is on the offensive side of the ball, particularly the offensive line. The blocking and the pride these guys have when they jel into one unit, usually without much in the way of credit.

But silently this team's defense just keeps getting a little better. If these guys can stay healthy and build a little pride in keeping the offense off the field Spags may turn this group of nobodies into something to get excited about.

I've never had a great defense to watch on Sundays. It was always time to grab a snack and a cold beverage. It could be a life changer for some of us.
                                -08-29-2010, 07:42 AM
                              • AvengerRam
                                For the Rams' defense to go from good to great, they need ___________.
                                by AvengerRam
                                What would push them to elite status as a unit?
                                to become more stout up the middle (NT, ILB).
                                76.47%
                                improved talent at the CB position.
                                5.88%
                                one more pass rusher who can't be blocked one-on-one.
                                11.76%
                                roster continuity and more time in Wade Phillips' system.
                                5.88%
                                Something else (what?)
                                0%
                                -02-19-2018, 02:32 PM
                              • HUbison
                                Just how good has this team (specifically the Defense) been recently?
                                by HUbison
                                Just how good has this team (specifically the Defense) been recently?

Great question, I'm glad you asked. Over the past quarter season, this team has been shockingly good in many regards. But HUb there were a couple of pretty crappy teams in those 4 games. Yea, and the other two are playoff contenders, one of which is a Super Bowl contender. It's not a huge sample size, but a quarter of a season is still a quarter of a season.

Here's a few points from the past 4 games:

1. This team is averaging 30.5 points per game. They are ranked 17th on the season, but 3rd in points scored during that span.

2. The defense is allowing just 8.5 points per game. They are ranked 15th on the season, but 1st in points allowed during that span.

3. In rushing yards, the past 4 games have generated the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 7th top games of the season. The Rams averaged 97 rushing yards per game in their first 9 games. They've averaged 135 per game in the last 4.

4. In yards allowed, the Defense is currently ranked 12th in the league. However, based on the past 4 games that rank would move up to 6th. If not for the fact that Manning hung almost 400 yards passing on us, that number would be even higher.

5. The Defense is ranked 10th in rushing yards allowed. However, over the past quarter season, they are allowing just 61 yards, which would rank them 1st in the league.

6. If the Defense could play a season like they have the past quarter season, they would rank 1st in points allowed. In fact, their projected points allowed total to this juncture (110.5) is less than half of the points allowed by the 2nd ranked Lions (224). That's ridiculous!!!

7. The Defense has generated 8 interceptions in the past 4 games. That would far and away put them in the league lead.

Now, that's all over the past quarter season, but the sack city has been on the build for a few weeks longer than that. We know they couldn't get anything going for the first 5 games. But what about the 8 games since then? Let's look at sacks through the prism of the past half season, 8 games.

8. Over the past half-season, the Defense has generated 34 sacks. Projecting that to 68 total, which would lead the league far and away.

9. Even with a sack total of 1 in the first 5 games, the Rams are currently ranked 9th in the league. And IF, the league leaders continue their season pace, and the Rams continue their half season pace, the Rams would finish this season ranked 3rd in the league. Not bad after starting the season with the worst 5-game stretch in league history!

10. Here's some projected sack totals for a season based on the past half-season: Quinn (21), Donald (12), Hayes (8), Laurinaitis (7), Sims (6), Barron (4), Brockers (4).

They won't make the playoffs...
                                -12-08-2014, 09:06 AM
                              Working...
                              X