• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Coach Mike Martz

Head Coach Mike Martz
    Friday, October 22, 2004

(Injury Update)
    的t looks like Travis Fisher will practice this week. We値l get him into the mix. Jimmy Kennedy will practice to some extent. We値l see how he is out there on the field. He has conditioned and ran real well over the past week or two. We値l give him some individual drills to see where he is, and measure his progress by how sore he is tomorrow. Other than that, we are in pretty good shape. Jeff Wilkins is nursing a sore ankle from an ankle sprain. We won稚 know for a few days what we will do. It値l come down to the wire on Sunday to see how he is. Tyoka still remains questionable with that hamstring. He痴 not quite there yet, so we have a couple of days to see (where he is). We are starting to get people back , which is always a good thing.

(On Miami)
    典his is a short week and we head to Miami. This defense, a week ago, was the number one rated defense in the National Football League, and now they are two or four. But whatever it is, they are very substantial on defense, like they always are. Offensively, they have struggled somewhat. They have a lot of injuries, but they have moved the ball well enough to score points and win.

(On the difficulties of finding a kicker at this point of the season)
    的 think it痴 all relative to what he has been doing. When we worked (Jeff Chandler) out, he was fine. I知 just going to make the assumption that he is ready to go if we need him.

(On getting Jimmy Kennedy and Travis Fisher back)
    展e were starting to wear down on the defensive line, with Tyoka out, and particularly on the inside having Jimmy (Kennedy) back, I mean that is a big man. If he can pick up where he left off, so to speak, which will be hard to do. I don稚 know when he will be back, completely, but I知 really excited about his attitude and his approach to getting back here as fast as he can. In terms of (Travis) Fisher, he was playing so well when he broke his arm, that we feel he is a top-flight corner. And it looks like he should be ready to go, which will help us tremendously in the secondary.

(On Travis Fisher痴 play before he was injured)
    展hen he broke his arm in that preseason game against Kansas City, he was playing as well as he痴 ever played. To have three corners like we have healthy, that痴 quite an advantage. Most teams have two really outstanding corners, and with him, we feel like we have three substantial starters and we池e excited about that.

(On the Dolphins)
    鄭 few years ago we were sitting in here at 0-5. The Oakland Raiders came in here, and they were the best team in the National Football League at the time. They led the league in both offense and defense, they led the league in both categories. We played them and we beat them handily. You just don稚 know. There are no breathers in this league. It just doesn稚 exist. This will be as hard fought a game as we have had all year. We know that. Our players understand that. We have to go to their place, and they have lost a couple of hard division games. They are very capable of beating us, there痴 no question about it. We are going to have to play better than we did last week. There is no question about their abilities. This team is very capable.

(On LB Robert Thomas)
    的知 not sure (if he値l be starting). I think we値l see what he痴 like at practice. That was another upgrade that痴 has been very pleasing. I wasn稚 sure we would even have him this week. We were going to hold him out again, and do what we did with Kevin Curtis, let him get back completely so it痴 not an issue for him the rest of the year. Evidently, today he feels real good, so we値l see what it痴 like out on the practice field.

(On what he thinks about the performance of LB Brandon Chillar)
    的知 very happy. Particularly for a rookie that has not been in there for us, before he was outside for us, to go in and make the calls and do all the other things that he had to do, I thought he was exceptional.

(On how hard it is for a defense to go against both WR Torry Holt and WR Isaac Bruce)
    的t makes it hard, defensively to take one or the other away. If you do, as you致e seen it in the past with these two guys, one might catch two or three, one might catch 11. It痴 easy to move the ball from one side to the other, based on defensively who they are trying to take away. And the effect that it has on the running game is substantial.

(On stopping their offense)
    的 think it all starts up front. I think they do a real good job with their draws and running games. They are certainly capable in the passing game. You have to be on top of everything, there is no question that they are capable of moving the football and putting points on the board. To think that they can稚, would be very misleading. They have outstanding receivers, and both quarterbacks have had success in the past. Sometimes guys catch fire, you saw it happen here a few years ago, we went on a 6-0 run (after being 5-0). We stress to our players, that we don稚 want to be that starting point for them. To me that痴 a myth to think that anybody should be taken lightly in the NFL at anytime, it just doesn稚 work like that.

(On Miami痴 veteran cornerbacks)
    的t痴 fun to watch them play. When I first put the tape on, it was a lot of fun to watch them play their press man techniques. They池e technically as sound of corners as I致e seen in football. They池e really well schooled on defense, they just don稚 make errors. I caught myself just watching them and their techniques, and just kind of studied them a little bit, because they are so much further along than most corners in the league in terms of what they do in the press man kind of stuff.

(On DT Damione Lewis taking more of a leadership role)
    泥amione this year has been a different guy in a lot of respects. I think he痴 having a lot of fun, I think the stress is gone, I think he痴 enjoying playing a lot more, if any of that makes sense. It痴 hard to explain, but I think he痴 just kind of let himself go. The energy level is there, he understands completely what they池e trying to do inside, and some of the changes that we池e making defensively. He痴 taken that role, he痴 studied it hard. He痴 not on that roller coaster that you can get on when you are younger. He痴 become a real solid veteran inside and has done a good job. He is (more vocal), but I think that痴 his personality. I think that whole part of him is beginning to come out as he becomes more confident and plays more.

(On LB Trev Faulk)
    典rev will be up this week and he値l give us another linebacker inside, and potentially available on special teams. We値l have to see. In a disaster situation (he could致e played Monday night), that痴 why we dressed him. It was at the point where he had strained it before, he was recovered to that same point. So we thought we would just go one more week and let him recover. They did a test on him and he is far enough along where we can play him.

(On having Steven Jackson and Marshall Faulk in the backfield together)
    典here痴 no scheme. These people are very talented. You are trying to get different personnel groups in there to take advantage of what they can do. It just puts different pressure on the defense I think, in terms of what you can do. It痴 something we mixed in a little bit, and something we might continue to do. It痴 really kind of based on their health. Steven, with a rookie like that, you can take some things for granted. You feel like he痴 been around for a while because he knows things as well as he does.

(On Dolphins DT Jeff Zgonina)
    的 miss Jeff, I really do. He was the first guy here in the morning. He was here before just about everyone in this building. He had this routine he used to go through, and he痴 character. We all miss him. I watched him on tape and he痴 playing as well as anyone I致e seen on a defensive line right now. Just exceptional.

(On Marc Bulger throwing the deep ball)
    的 think when he initially took over in 2002, he was very good at throwing the deep ball. He was like Trent Green in that respect. I always felt Trent was as good as there was throwing the deep ball. (Marc) is like that. I think that last year, stepping into that role, without the repetitions with the wide receivers, we didn稚 have a chance to practice that. I think we have done a lot more work in practice with (the deep ball), and allowed him to get the timing of that.

(On T Orlando Pace)
    的 don稚 (take Pace for granted), and I know our quarterback doesn稚. He痴 very special. We realize that and understand that. We will do whatever we can to keep him. There痴 no question he痴 very special in the National Football League, in that he can line up against the best out there and you don稚 need to help him. It痴 hard to find people like that. He痴 got great feet. The thing about Orlando, is that a great speed rusher can get him off balance and work opposite, and he痴 got the athleticism and the balance to redirect him, and stay on the block. That痴 hard to find.

(On if he watched the Cardinals game)
    的 did leave a message for (Cardinals manager Tony LaRussa), telling him congratulations. We were doing our game planning. We are all proud of them and excited. What a thrill. We池e pulling for them.

(On DT Jason Taylor痴 comments about the Rams offense)
    的 think he痴 right, it痴 not what we used to do on offense. We are a totally different offense than we were in 2001, in our approach and our players. I think we are effective. But it is a different quarterback, and we are doing different things.

(On the current Rams offense)
    的知 very proud of this group and what they致e done, and where they are heading. I think that this offense is just kind of getting going, really, to be honest with you. I think as each week goes by, we have a chance to get better and better. Especially as these young players begin to come to the surface. You are just finding out new things about these guys and what they can and can稚 do. There is very little they can稚 do, and that痴 what痴 fun and exciting about it. Probably the approach is different than what we had in 2001. We had such a veteran group, we just let it all hang out. We haven稚 hit that point yet, but who knows.

(On Marc Bulger痴 block in Monday night痴 game)
    的 told him when we put that play in, when they come over you have to fall down in front of them and bite them in the ankles. He didn稚 take me to heart. He took his throwing shoulder and threw it into the linebacker and stopped him cold. Of course, it was the key block that got us the first down. That痴 Marc. Sometimes he doesn稚 listen.

(On K Jeff Wilkins making tackles)
    的t痴 inspiring, but the bad news is that your kicker is the leading takcler on the kickoff team. That痴 not very good. But he痴 got that speed and athleticism, where if he doesn稚 make those plays, they probably score. So that obviously is a big issue this week, and that will be resolved. I promise you that.

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
    Martz on the Mike
    by RamWraith
    Thursday, September 30, 2004

(Injury update)
    鼎hris Dishman is questionable. When they did the MRI here the other day, there was no damage to the capsule, fortunately, or to the muscle, or ligaments. It was just a strained capsule. We should be able to get him back in short order. Just how soon, I don稚 know. How much he can do this week will probably be limited, we値l just have to get a feel for that. Arlen Harris, who did play the rest of the game on a strained hamstring, is also listed as questionable, and we will just have to see where he is. I would expect we would have him in some capacity, but we値l just have to see. Then Tony Newson, with the ankle sprain, what they call a 組rade two, is questionable, and probably, we won稚 have him. We do get DeJuan Groce back. We do get Trev Faulk back. These two guys have looked real good here in the last few days, and Trev now is almost 100 percent with that hamstring (injury). And DeJuan, with that knee (injury), looks pretty good and should practice today. That helps us a great deal on defense with another linebacker and another corner.

(On preparing for San Francisco)
    鉄an Francisco week, as you all know, is a special week for us. It痴 a divisional game that has been our long-standing rivalry. We are excited about it. Defensively, they have done a good job over the years. They have really proven their speed defensively, probably over the last four or five years. Bryant Young, right now, is playing the best football that I have ever seen him play. He is absolutely outstanding. Obviously, Julian Peterson, Derek Smith, and (Jeff) Ulbrich, the linebacking crew is as good as you will find in football. I think they are outstanding. They have real good speed on defense, and they do a good job of matching up. Offensively, I would expect (Tim) Rattay to start at quarterback. Everything we hear, anyway, sounds like he will start. Kevan Barlow, as we all know, can be a very explosive and physical runner. He is a threat to go the distance at anytime. We have seen him do it. It doesn稚 get any better than this. An old time rival, early in the season, at San Francisco, and it痴 a Sunday night game. We池e excited about it.

(On where S Aeneas Williams will be playing)
    鄭eneas will be going back to safety, with DeJuan Groce back at corner. Aeneas spent so much time getting himself ready to play safety, and has played so well in terms of his keys, breaks on the ball, lining guys up, making calls, and then to move out to corner is very disruptive. It痴 a totally different world out there. That痴 a hard thing to ask somebody to do, but we were at a bind at that point. Going back to safety, I知 sure he痴 relieved. I haven稚 talked to him about it, but I知 sure he痴 excited. He had a lot of pass break-ups on plays where you didn稚 expect a free safety to make a play, early in the year.

(On if San Francisco痴...
    -09-30-2004, 11:58 AM
  • RamWraith
    Mike and the Mike
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    Wednesday, January 12, 2005

(Opening comments)
    典he only guy that is questionable would be DL Tyoka (Jackson) for this game. We致e got some bumps, nicks, and bruises, but it痴 two short weeks that we had, so to give them an extra day off I thought was important. So we are going to treat this week as a short week, so we will go Wednesday practice, Thursday (practice), and a shorter version of our Friday practice on Friday, and then travel down to play the game. RB Arlen Harris, we may or may not have him. We are not real sure with his hamstring (injury). At this point everybody else should be in pretty good shape for this game. We have the normal annoying injuries that most teams have at this time of year. This is a terrific opportunity for us. We are excited about the opportunity to go down there and play in the divisional playoffs. I think the challenge is obvious with QB Michael Vick and their offense. I said on the conference call a few minutes ago that, playing their offense is a little bit like trying to defend the option. You致e got RB Warrick Dunn, you can hand that ball off, or you can bootleg, or throw the football. The threat to do all of those things in one play is unique to the National Football League. It really creates problems for us, and then everybody is scrambling to adjust to it. He痴 such a terrific player, probably the best athlete in the league today. He is capable of single- handily beating you, as much as anyone I致e seen in this league since I致e been in it. He痴 a lot of fun to watch. What a terrific player he is. We致e got our work cut out for us. Defensively, I think their whole defensive line, their defensive front, is very active, and very physical. They are very, very well coached. They did a terrific job of adjusting. They are tenacious. They stay after you the entire time. They are a very well coached football team throughout, that痴 one of the reasons why they are in it. They have good people. Their defensive line is one of more impressive groups, overall, that we致e seen all year.

(On what has been clicking on offense)
    的 think a lot of things. I think that when things calm down on the offensive line, you start to settle in on some personnel. With G Blaine (Saipaia) gaining more experience, and his play goes up every week. Having Tommy Ntten who has played an awful lot of games for us, and Super Bowls, having that calm down has had an enormous effect on our offense, and what we can do. Everything that we do, is predicated on that group up front. As they go, we go. If we can protect the quarterback, obviously, we had problems with New England, for instance. They were getting at us with a four-man rush. That痴 tough duty to either run or throw the ball. We致e come a long way on our offensive line. It痴 remarkable if you consider all of the changes that have gone on, and the guys have done a terrific job...
    -01-13-2005, 04:41 AM
  • RamWraith
    Martz on the Mike
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    Wednesday, December 15, 2004

(Opening Statement)
    鄭s you look at Arizona, particularly on defense, this is a team that from the beginning of the year, creates some challenges for you. I think they池e much improved, they致e got a good pass rush from the outside, and the linebackers are very active. They致e changed their defense in that they are much more pressure oriented. They are getting after you and creating all types of structure problems that you have to account for. They are very disruptive and they致e done a great job. They are playing with a great deal of enthusiasm and excitement. A passionate defense would be a good word for them. They look like they are really well coached on defense, they池e impressive to look at. They are a different defense than we saw at the beginning of the year in that they were much more of a seven-man front than opposed to some of the things that they are doing now. Offensively, with the receivers healthy, they create a real issue for you. Obviously the quarterback can move around and he has the big arm to get the ball down the field. With the big receivers they do like to do the long passes and get the ball down the field and score quickly if they can, and make some big plays. I would say it痴 a challenge. Obviously they are a team right now that are kind of finding their way and have been on again, off again, much like us. It痴 a big challenge for us. It痴 a divisional game, the final one of the season for us, and that痴 an exciting aspect for us.

(On WR Anquan Boldin being healthy)
    滴e makes a huge difference. Just in the short time that he痴 played, I can稚 remember what his numbers are, but they are pretty impressive. I can remember standing on the sideline last year watching him down there, we had three or four defensive backs around him, and he pulled the ball away and scored. He痴 a very electric and exciting player in this league. He痴 a guy you have to account for.

(On if RB Steven Jackson will play)
    添eah. He ran full speed on the treadmill on Monday, and there was no swelling the following day. They also took him outside and did some drills. I saw him this morning and he had no swelling from the work that he痴 done over the last few days. I知 real encouraged that we will have him. I assume that we will have him for practice today. Marshall (Faulk) wants to go today at practice. I asked him to be very careful, and he said he would tell me within a day or two how he feels. He痴 very encouraged, he feels like he will be fine. I think we might be at full strength at running back. Marc (Bulger) is going to throw today, which about knocked me off my feet when they told me that today. I don稚 know what that means, but evidently he threw on Monday, and pitched it around pretty good. We値l just see what he does, and if there痴 any doubt, obviously we will keep him out.
    -12-16-2004, 05:18 AM
  • RamWraith
    Lots of good team quotes for the week
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Scott Linehan

September 19, 2007

(Opening Remarks)

泥rew (Bennett), he got all of practice in so there shouldn稚 be any issue with him playing this week. He was limited some, but just because we kept him out of things. Marc (Bulger) had full participation in practice. He was limited a little bit in his throwing, but he should be fine. Tye Hill did not practice. Richie Incognito did not practice. Claude Terrell had full practice and Pisa (Tinoisamoa) was limited. We池e headed in the right direction as far as getting guys back on the field. There shouldn稚 be any surprises, hopefully we don稚 have another Thursday like we had last week. Tomorrow we should be okay.

(On G Milford Brown)

滴e痴 fine. There was no problem with him recovering from post game. He was a lot better yesterday and he went full today.

(On T Alex Barron痴 attributes)

滴is athleticism. He痴 ability to match up against speed. He has enough size to anchor. The ends aren稚 getting any smaller these days. You go against some pretty incredible athletes over there. He痴 been going against some pretty good ones on the other side. It痴 kind of 50-50. He痴 at the blind side of a right-handed quarterback. That痴 very important for your quarterback knowing he痴 going to see things to his right and to his left. He has to count on that guy and Alex痴 No. 1 ability is to pass protect. He痴 become a lot better run blocker as he痴 progressed in his career. His overall talent. He痴 really improved since he痴 played for us in the last two years, and certainly since he came in the league.

(On how to reduce the number of hits on the quarterback)

添ou have to do it. The No. 1 best way to protect your quarterback is the run game. We have to get our run game going. It has not been satisfactory in the first two games. That has to be our strength for our football team to run the ball offensively and to stop the run defensively. If you get your run game going there is a certain amount of respect that the defense gives the run game and it definitely helps your pass protection and puts you in better third-down position which is critical when you get in third-and-long or extra long. It gets the defensive ends; I know our defense is much, much better, when we get in those long-area situations because we池e equipped that way as far as our speed and all that. Until we do that it痴 going to be a concern. There are other ways, protection schemes. It痴 not always match protecting or keeping lots of people in. There is timing of routes. Everyone knows we have a deeper design to a number of our plays, but we have to pick and chose when we do those as well.

(On averaging 5-6 yards a carry for a short period of time in each of the first two games)

展e致e managed...
    -09-19-2007, 03:56 PM
  • RamWraith
    Martz on the Mike
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    Thursday, December 2, 2004

(Opening Statement)
    的t痴 49er week. Big week. We took the extra day off like we always do after a Monday night game. We池e trying to get these guys back physically. Today will be a Wednesday practice, tomorrow will be a Thursday, and we値l do some light work on Saturday morning. We池e excited about being back in the division with this game, and the *****, here at home. We致e spent the last few days as a staff preparing for this game, and we池e ready to go.

(On playing the ***** on their down year)
    的 don稚 think that ever has anything to do with anything when you line up. Whoever it is, whether it痴 the ***** or anybody else, if you coach or play this league long enough, you understand when you line up it痴 hard every week, no matter who you are. Nobody takes anybody lightly. The ***** certainly, defensively, are very stout. I think they are playing better than they were earlier, and I thought they were very good earlier. They play with a great deal of emotion, and they fly around. They present a lot of blitz issues for you. I think they are somewhere around 15th in the league on defense. They have good people, outstanding linebacker crew, and they make you spend a lot of hours preparing for them. They are a good football team on defense. They致e struggled somewhat offensively at times. It seems to come together at times too for them. It will be a tough game.

(On if opponent痴 records fools some players)
    的 think some players do. I think this league is full of players that do that, that痴 why they don稚 win. You can never do that. I think young players have a tendency to do that. They have not been through that, and experienced a season to know how hard it is week-to-week. In a veteran group, you won稚 find that happening. Not on a team that wins.

(On if he is anxious to play this week)
    鄭nytime you lose, you池e anxious to get that feeling out of your stomach. No matter what kind of game it was, and that one (Green Bay) was a hard pill to swallow. You池e always anxious to line up and play again.

(On if he thinks the Ram痴 defense plays with the same intensity as the ***** defense)
    哲o we don稚. That痴 what we have to resolve. It痴 a major issue for us. We池e not like we致e been at times. I think we have some guys that are afraid to make mistakes. They are very tentative. It痴 not a 層ant to issue at all, or having heart, or being tough, it痴 not any of those things. We致e just got some guys that are very tentative for various reasons. We池e trying to get them away from that and get back to playing with a smile on your face and leaving the ball carrier in a bad mood.

(On the ***** blitzing packages)
    典hey are kind of selective in terms of who they play. I think, anywhere from 50-60% of the time, you池e getting some kind...
    -12-03-2004, 04:44 AM
Working...
X