Team Mentality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team Mentality

I have understood the philosophy of not calling beyond what you believe the players are capable of doing well. Thus we don't throw over 10 yards a lot.

But last night I was working the Louisville vs USF football game. The Cardinals went for it on 4th and inches in overtime instead of kicking the field goal. They didn't get it and of course lost when USF made theirs' on the next drive.

The locker room afterward was somber and the players were dejected.

We were interviewing one of the players and he said the loss hurt the team. A reporter asked if the coach shouldn't have decided to go for it and the player basically said "Oh no... that would have hurt the team worse. They can't tell us day in and day out that they believe in us and then not have confidence in us come game time."

He would have rather lost with the ball in his hands then to have lost on the sidelines.

Sooooo... my point to the story is I'm starting to wonder if our offense is starting to believe they can't finish off a team because of the play calling?

Thoughts?

Re: Team Mentality

What makes you think the offense is losing confidence in themselves? I mean, spot on with players wanting the coaches to feel confident in them, but what quote from the rams or behaviors makes you think the players are losing their confidence?

Comment

I think we are going to see more questions about playcalling philosophy this week; maybe this issue will come up.

Comment

Originally posted by berg8309 View Post
        What makes you think the offense is losing confidence in themselves? I mean, spot on with players wanting the coaches to feel confident in them, but what quote from the rams or behaviors makes you think the players are losing their confidence?

No I don't have any quotes or proof that any players are losing confidence.

I have also defended Shurmur's play calling to a degree putting it more on the execution of the players.

But... after talking to the players in the locker room last night I started thinking about the dynamic between what coaches say and what they do.

So if you tell the players you believe they can win any game but then game after game you call plays based on preventing a loss instead it may, even if it's subconsciously, effect the players mentality.

Again I'm just throwing it out there as a possible theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambunctious View Post
          No I don't have any quotes or proof that any players are losing confidence.

I have also defended Shurmur's play calling to a degree putting it more on the execution of the players.

But... after talking to the players in the locker room last night I started thinking about the dynamic between what coaches say and what they do.

So if you tell the players you believe they can win any game but then game after game you call plays based on preventing a loss instead it may, even if it's subconsciously, effect the players mentality.

Again I'm just throwing it out there as a possible theory.
          The flipside to that is players must know two things, one, what their own limitations are, and two, that the coach will call the plays that they feel gives them the best chance at winning the game, not the one that makes the player feel special.

Coaches call plays that work to the strengths of their players, and the players know that. Your confidence shouldn't be hurt when the coach won't send you on a streak because you don't have the speed. You should know you can't run that effectively.

So I guess my point is the players should also know their own limitations, and not feel hurt if the coach doesn't try to run plays they can't run. It doesn't mean the coach doesn't have confidence in you, the coach just wants you to actually be able to make a play. Players need encouragement, but they also need some thick skin.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• THOLTFAN81
            A thought on the Rams players "Not giving up"
            by THOLTFAN81
            I love how the media says the Rams players are still trying their hardest for the coaches rather than giving up...

I don't know whats more sad about this, the fact that the Rams playing their hardest results in a 26-0 loss, or that their "Coach" repays their effort with three straight runs with 4 min to go. How are these players not supposed to roll over when they have a "Coach" that does nothing but that.

January 2nd. 3 More Weeks. PASS.
            -12-09-2011, 12:15 PM
          • RamWraith
            Vitts Monday Press Conference
            by RamWraith
            Interim Head Coach Joe Vitt
            Monday, December 26, 2005

(Opening statement)

“I feel the same now as I did after the game Saturday night. You can’t turn the ball over, and you can’t miss tackles the way we’re doing and expect to compete in the National Football League. The one thing that I do feel bad about, and I said it the other night, that I could do a better job at the half of managing the clock, managing the timeouts, and do a better job at the end of the game, whether go for it on fourth-down or kick a field goal. I think the thing that I feel worse about is that I have not been able to do anything to create anything for our football team to try to get over the edge, over the top. We have been in almost the exact same situation exactly two weeks in a row, where we miss a fourth down and we’re involved in a two-minute drill and there is an interception. It goes all the way back really three weeks to Minnesota, where in the redzone we go for a first-down on fourth-and-1, and don’t get that. And I’m probably trying to shove the situation down the players’ throat instead of taking what they give us and get points. And I feel bad about that. I haven’t done anything to help this football team get over the top. And we have a lot of guys battling, as I told you the injury report the other night, guys in the hospital the night before the game, guys hurt and taking injection to play, and I feel bad for them, I really do. But that being said, it’s no time to feel sorry for ourselves. We’re playing a nationally televised game Sunday night against a good football team, and we have to get our selves ready to, which we will.”

(On what his approach will be this last week to get the team ready to play)

“Like we have approached every other week; we haven’t changed one bit. You guys have been to practice; you’ve seen the tempo of practice, what’s expected of them in practice. We haven’t cut back any reps. The weight lifting schedule…everything’s the same. We prepare to win, and I have to do a better job of helping our guys win.”

(On whether he is satisfied with the professionalism of this team)

“Let me tell you something. I’m going to tell you exactly what I told the football team before the game. There is no place or no team that I would rather be right here and right now is with these people. Our players have fought. They have worked hard. They haven’t always been right; I haven’t always been right. But the respect that they have for the game, the competitiveness, their work habits on a daily basis, [and] their accountability has been outstanding. And I wish that I had done a better job of trying to get our football team over the top, by either making a big call or making the right judgment. But no, I feel the same way about this team right now as is did when I took this thing over. It has been an honor; it has been fun.”

(On...
            -12-26-2005, 05:13 PM
          • jdpbmo
            Lets save all the
            by jdpbmo
            proud of our boys, what a great year, we had some terrific accomplishments, and all that other crap for another day. What kind of defense did they play on that drive? How can you go into a "back up and let them get chunks of yards at a time" defense? What exactly was Lovie calling? I am filled with a tremendous amount of negativity right now just because of the embarrasement we showed for 3 quarters in the biggest game of the year. That forth quarter we showed how good we could be, but then in an instance we let a snot-nose drive right up the field with practically no time on the clock and no timeouts to use. How can anyone justify or rationalize what happened out there? Certainly not by the "thanks for the terrific year boys" or "now we've got something to build on for next year"? Congrats to the Pats for doing what they had to. Their defense was super for 3 quarters and their game plan worked to a tee. Not one player on their team was outstanding until the last drive of the game when Brady was unstoppable and Vinetari was gold. When the Rams scored to tie it up I told my wife that the two problems the Rams had were first, Troy Brown was an outstanding return man and we needed to prevent him from getting a big return. Second, I told her that they had the best field goal kicker in the game and there was still about a minute and 22 seconds left. Now if I am a big football fan, yet far from coach material, wouldn't you think the Rams players and the coaches would be aware of these two very crucial things. I hope to god they weren't in some sort of prevent in the end.
            -02-03-2002, 09:14 PM
          • Nick
            Burwell: Dose of reality for Rams
            by Nick
            Burwell: Dose of reality for Rams
            BY BRYAN BURWELL, Post-Dispatch Sports Columnist | Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 12:30 am

Because they have gone from zero to respectable faster than we expected, the Rams now find themselves in a rather enviable but slightly unfair circumstance.

Fans of every stripe, from the unreasonable meatheads to the savvy cognoscenti, have decided to readjust their expectations. In September when considering the potential evolution of this franchise, who wouldn't have been satisfied if the young Rams had just shown us that they were simply capable of walking upright again?

But now that they have shown us a glimpse of their true potential — a tantalizing little accelerated peek at what could be for a franchise that had been in the dumps for far too long — it's easy to forget what we're actually looking at.

The 4-5 Rams are exactly what their record says they are. So it hurts to see this young team stumble on the winless road (0-4) the way it continues to do. But it helps because we're reminded why the road seems to be so difficult for them. (Simple answer: because they're still not quite good enough to take that next step on their evolutionary trek.)

But it hurts to see these oh-so-close defeats because of the way they keep getting oh, so close. Yet it's time to understand exactly what these games mean. It doesn't mean the Rams stink or their coaches are idiots or that everyone should be fired as some Internet deep thinkers would suggest. Just because they flirt with moving up to that next tier does not mean they are ready to move up a notch or that it is a complete failure.

Perspective, people, perspective.

Stumbling like this is part of the frustrating but ultimately fruitful process of growing. It's not a guarantee that the Rams will take these hard lessons from the road and turn them into a fine championship blend by next season. But history does show us that while worst-to-first rapid ascents do happen in the NFL, the most common road to the Super Bowl is a slower journey paved by harsh lessons along the way.

So as Sunday's latest maddening road show in San Francisco showed us, at 4-5, the Rams have improved so much from a year ago that we can see how much better things have gotten. This is the season of The Big Breakthrough.

But the down side to The Big Breakthrough is that it also exposes the even bigger tease. Good enough to show you where they're going but flawed enough to remind you where they've just come from.

On Monday afternoon at Rams Park, Steve Spagnuolo showed up at his normal day-after-game press briefing to rehash the frustrating aftermath of a 23-20 overtime loss in San Francisco. And if you listened to him talk, you could tell that he has not lost sight or perspective, even if too many people around this team have. "I'll hit you real quick...
            -11-16-2010, 08:42 AM
          • RockinRam
            Why A Complete Overhaul is Needed
            by RockinRam
            I think this article is an interesting read and really helps to hit home how a continued streak of losing starts to get ingrained into the culture of a franchise, especially from the top down. I believe that as long as Demoff, Snead and Fisher are here, nothing will change. Sure, we can bring in a new coordinator but that guy will not have enough influence or tenure to drastically turn around a franchise.

The house needs to be turned upside down and Demoff, Snead and Fisher's toxicity need to be kicked to the curb. As long as those three are in the building, there will always be a toxic culture of losing and negativity that surrounds our Rams....
            -11-29-2016, 05:44 PM
          Working...
          X