X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thatguy
    • Mar 2024

Do the Rams need a SS?

I really like Dahl, he is a solid tackler, he is good at getting to the ball carrier, and he can occasionally deliver a big hit. However he does make some crucial mental mistakes that can cause big plays to happen and he isn't the fastest. I think he has a future with the Rams but I'm not sure if he is what the defense needs. I think the Rams should get a guy who is more of a blend of Atogwe and Dahl. They need a guy who is more well rounded who can be a ball hawk and be a good tackler.

Do you think the Rams should get a replacement in the off season? or wait a year or two? or do you think Dahl is good enough to be the starter for a while?
  • RockinRam
    • Apr 2008

Re: Do the Rams need a SS?

Dahl is like a linebacker in a safety's body. He isn't great in coverage, but he's a got a nose for playing against the run.

But I agree, we need an upgrade at SS, and even James Butler may not be the answer.

Comment

• molar_pistol

i have never really liked dahl, he is pretty good on special teams and as a backup but i prefer butler.

Comment

• Alec22
        • May 2006

I would love dahl as the 3rd saftey (OJ/ SS backup) as he can play both, but yeah I would certainly like to see a 2rd flier on a saftey, but I do not know what options are out there

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• sosa39rams
          Dahl + Payne?
          by sosa39rams
          Since James Butler will miss "significant time" we will need guys to step up and replace him. Craig Dahl and Kevin Payne.

From the play of Dahl, he showed he was getting a lot better as the season went on. Payne is also a good backup and I think the duo will do a fine job of filling in.

Do you guys think they are adequate starters and will preform well?
          -08-07-2010, 08:07 PM
        • RamsInfiniti
          Lay Off Craig Dahl ... GEEZUS!
          by RamsInfiniti
          Seen several posters comment on how "horrible" Dahl. First, Dahl is coming back off a hamstring injury. Second, he is a SS/LB hybrid type. They have always envisioned using him a nickle linebacker type. The intention never was to have him as a starting safety who had primary coverage responsibilities ...

Dahl showed a knack to be around the ball, and was laying some wood in the run game. He is a perfect compliment in that regard ...

Expect SS Anthony Smith to be elevated soon to replace Butler as the starter if he cannot go. Then Dahl can return to playing the role he was envisioned to play ...

Seriously, some just can't look at/don't understand the big picture. There is clearly a reason Dahl made the team, and he showed why today. He is a very, very sound tackler and good enough to be effective in the aforementioned role ...

Doesn't mean he's a world beater, were you expecting him to be a pro-bowler? He's a backup safety ...
          -09-27-2009, 04:42 PM
        • 39thebeast
          Why I don't see major changrs at SS
          by 39thebeast
          Craig Dahl solid all year good in run support and improved in pass coverage. Ya I know he gave up that big play at Seatle. He is an average player and one of Spags guys he knows the system and is still young and cheaply signed for 2 more years and is a key special teamer.

I think OJ has played well enough to and the Rams will either renegotiate that 8 mil bonus or just pay him. So I don't see them spending big money on another safety when they already reluctantly spent big money on a safety in Oj.

Darian Stewart played alot towards the end of the year as the third safety improved in coverage and was an effective blitzer. He had a pretty good rookie season and still has room to grow. I don't see alot of reason to draft a mid to late round pick when we have Stewart as a developmental guy.

James Butler is also still on roster and is signed relitivley cheaply another average safety. Another reason why we shouldn't sign another average safety.

The best place for the Rams to get a safety would be the 2nd or 3rd round, but I see bigger needs like DE, DT, OLB, WR, OG, and RB.

With OJ the big money guy, Stewart the developmental prospect, and Dahl/Butler as the average glue guys I don't see alot of changes to this group.
          -01-14-2011, 06:02 PM
        • FestusRam
          If Craig Dahl has proven anything, its that we dont need to draft a Safety early.
          by FestusRam
          Okay, so that headline threw you off a little bit, but hear me out.

The Rams D saw major improvements in 2012 and ranked in the top half of the league in many categories. With two solid duos in Jenkins/Finnegan and Laurinitis/Dunbar, coupled with an outstanding D line that was a key cog in the Rams finishing first in sacks, there is only one glaring need.

Free Safety. We need a center fielder.

Craig Dahl was probably the worst starter in the league last year. Even though he was indeed a starter, he was rarely seen on tv due to offensive ball carriers running past him so quickly without even a need for a juke. Awful angles, poor tackling, and terrible coverage were exactly what number 43 brought to the table week in and week out. I'm still baffled as to why Stewart couldnt beat him out.

My point is, even with only 10 players on defense last year, we were still one of the better Ds in the league. Our offense was the unit that struggled. We really need to focus on our offense in the early rounds, especially with such a deep safety class. I'm confident when I say that the top 10 safeties in this draft would contribute more this year than Dahl did last year. He's that awful.

So, I think we should focus on the offensive side of the ball early and wait until atleast round 3 to draft Dahls replacement.
          -02-26-2013, 09:51 PM
        • RamsInfiniti
          Darian Stewart!
          by RamsInfiniti
          Anybody else beginning to notice this guy? Big, physical missile of a safety, and has apparently taken the 3rd safety spot and booted James Butler down to special teams duty ...

Solid tackler, and appears sound in coverage. They are using him as a box safety, and bringing him in on some blitz packages ...

Yet another player they pulled out of the duldrums.
          -12-27-2010, 03:52 PM
        Working...
        X