Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can our RAMS rise back to greatness once again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can our RAMS rise back to greatness once again?

This article is what I always think about, and maybe similar to what Bryan Burwell wrote about in a previous thread called " RAMS HAVE CHANCE TO DEFINE SEASON".. I really loved that article and it reminded me of what I want to talk about, and that is the rise of a team to greatness/elite status, whether it be once again, or finally for the first time.

Our Rams have been through a lot of ups and downs. Historically, we have been both good and bad; that is, we've been right there at the top and right there at the bottom at any given year. We've had the championship in cleveland in the 50's or 60's or so and went to the bowl against the steelers in the late 70's, went to the NFC championship game against the bears in 85, the eagles in 2001, and a host of other great playoff games. And of course the 90's were fairly bad until 99. But those were all different teams with different identities.

Lets look at the GSOT. Now this was arguably the best RAMS team to EVER take the football field, with the closest second probably being that "FEARSOME FOURSOME" rams team, with Deacon Jones, Merlin Olsen, etc. The GSOT offense consisted of Kurt Warner at QB ( due to Trent Green's season ending injury), Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Ricky Proehl, and Marshall Faulk. On the defensive side of the ball, they had Grant Wistrom, London Fletcher, Aeneas Williams, etc. We had a team that was offensively unstoppable and defensively capable of getting stops and/or turnovers. Always an opportunistic defense. This was also what I would have called ELITE STATUS in the NFL: winning in the NFL alot and consistently. But, as time passed, bad decision making, poor drafting and personnel decisions, and retirement pushed this team into the abyss for about three years ( 2007-2009), which there was no excuse for.

There were other ELITE teams, but I am not sure who to call because at that time most were only GOOD themselves, not as GREAT as what they are now. Teams like the Eagles, Colts, Falcons, Seahawks, Chiefs, Raiders, Ravens, and Buccaneers were all examples of good teams, but I really dont think none were as good overall as the Rams (GSOT) were. Some have stayed perenially good, others have fallen a bit, some have been up and down. But no one has been as bad as the Rams have been through a three year period.

We have seen the RAMS as bad as they were for that three year period. And we have seen the GSOT and how GREAT they were. NOW, we are in a rebuilding mode since and have gotten a lot to show for it; obviously not GREAT yet, but decent and respectable, which is all you can ask for when you go 6-42 over three seasons. My point is this. When do you think we can reach that ELITE status again and roam the NFL earth beating foes as we try to climb that mountain to the top?

My feeling is, it shouldnt take long at all considering where we at. We've got a nice QB, good MLB, good corner and safety, good DE, and good OL. We have done, at least so far, what it takes to get this team back to not only respectability, but ELITE status as well. What are we lacking that is stopping us from being GREAT? I know where we are lacking, I think we all do by now: OLB is mediocre at best, Corners are not great outside of maybe bartell and murphy, safety play is not great without ATOGWE, DL is young and upcoming with veteran presence but no one else really scares offenses, backup RB, and a go to guy in a WR, someone like say a Dwayne Bowe or Reggie Wayne or Torry Holt, just to name examples.

I think Spags, the coaches and the FO have done a terrific job with the personnel they have. They will continue to make the right decisions for this football team and so far they have. We also have this upcoming draft, FA in the offseason, and other teams decline. I like where we're at right now and I KNOW, not think, we are headed in the right direction. Lets not forget that THIS SEASON is still not even over yet!!!

I will continue to be a RAMS fan for LIFE, I AM NOT SWITCHING!! Teams go through seasons after seasons and experience joys and pain too. But yet a new season is upon you the next year every year, a new chance to be good again, a chance to improve. I have seen my Rams go through a lot. And this is a lot. The losing was a lot. But this is a different RAMS team now, with a different identity. We are not looking to be the GSOT again, although it COULD happen, who knows, but that is NOT our focus. We will establish the run and pass when we have to just as beautifully. What is the identity of this team moving forward?

I am going to leave you guys with some burning opinions I have whenever we win or lose. When we win, I feel like we take one step closer to that mountain top. When we lose, I feel like we are tumbling back to earth with our bumps and bruises. Lets look at it this way: In the three losing seasons we have had, We have lost to every team in the NFL. Which means we were the doormat of the NFL. But no longer!! I feel like whenever we win, we put THAT team tumbling down to earth; its just such a weird feeling guys that Im trying to type but I cant seem to put into words but IM SURE you guys know what Im talking about right?

I have that feeling right now. The feeling of your team getting back to ELITE status around the league, the feeling of your team playing ANY team and having a chance to win. We are going to play all of these teams again that we lost to before. Its just that when we play them, they're either advancing themselves or declining. now when next year comes around, we will be better! And what makes it so interesting is, you know youre a legit fan so your friends and coworkers respect you ( even though they made a mockery of you too LOL) because you stay true to your team.

Can you guys share how you feel right now? I wanna share it but I cant seem to put it into words, thats how I ended up with this long post.

Re: Can our RAMS rise back to greatness once again?

I couldn't agree more.. I feel the exact same way. I think if we follow what I am about to type up for our offseason we will probably have somewhere near 11 wins next season.

FA:

OLB, Chad Greenway. This guy has been playing solid football this year and becomes a free agent next year. If we added him, and he played next to James Laurinaitis and Na'ill Diggs, we would have an amazing linebacker core.

OG, Carl Nicks. This guy is a mauler and the Saints won't be able to afford to keep him. We are struggling at guard because Goldberg cannot hold his own. Snatching this guy up solidifies our offensive line and opens up some serious holes for Steven Jackson.

DRAFT:

Round 1: Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina
    Round 2: Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma
    Round 3: DeMarco Murray, RB, Oklahoma

This would be a fantastic draft. First off, Sam has chemistry with two of those guys...which is fantastic. Also, imagine the best defensive end in the NCAA playing across from Chris Long? That defensive line would be a terror.

If we do this in the offseason, I can't see us finishing anywhere but first in our division.

Comment

Originally posted by sosa39rams View Post
      I couldn't agree more.. I feel the exact same way. I think if we follow what I am about to type up for our offseason we will probably have somewhere near 11 wins next season.

FA:

OLB, Chad Greenway. This guy has been playing solid football this year and becomes a free agent next year. If we added him, and he played next to James Laurinaitis and Na'ill Diggs, we would have an amazing linebacker core.

OG, Carl Nicks. This guy is a mauler and the Saints won't be able to afford to keep him. We are struggling at guard because Goldberg cannot hold his own. Snatching this guy up solidifies our offensive line and opens up some serious holes for Steven Jackson.

DRAFT:

Round 1: Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina
      Round 2: Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma
      Round 3: DeMarco Murray, RB, Oklahoma

This would be a fantastic draft. First off, Sam has chemistry with two of those guys...which is fantastic. Also, imagine the best defensive end in the NCAA playing across from Chris Long? That defensive line would be a terror.

If we do this in the offseason, I can't see us finishing anywhere but first in our division.
      The only thing I disagree with is taking the reciever in the 2nd round. I think that is our most glaring need right now. We need a solid number one reciever.

Comment

Originally posted by Rampingitup View Post
        The only thing I disagree with is taking the reciever in the 2nd round. I think that is our most glaring need right now. We need a solid number one reciever.
        I'd be all up for taking one in the first round, but we don't get a lot out of it. I mean if we make the playoffs we will be picking near 22 I believe... which would possibly leave us with either Julio Jones, Jonathon Baldwin or any other choices (Michael Floyd, Leonard Hankerson). I don't think its worth it, although I really do like Jonathon Baldwin. I think Broyles has just as great potential, but we also get a stud defensive end out of the deal. If we could get our hands on A.J Green in the first round then hell yea lets take him, but there is no way he lasts.

Comment

Originally posted by sosa39rams View Post
          I'd be all up for taking one in the first round, but we don't get a lot out of it. I mean if we make the playoffs we will be picking near 22 I believe... which would possibly leave us with either Julio Jones, Jonathon Baldwin or any other choices (Michael Floyd, Leonard Hankerson). I don't think its worth it, although I really do like Jonathon Baldwin. I think Broyles has just as great potential, but we also get a stud defensive end out of the deal. If we could get our hands on A.J Green in the first round then hell yea lets take him, but there is no way he lasts.
          I wouldn't count on Baldwin with those questionable hands. Julio Jones will most likely get picked by the Redskins seeing that they're more than likely to be in the Top 15. I think Hankerson is the best choice in the 2nd round seeing that he doesn't get injured and with Michael Floyd's history of that, might drop him down a bit. If the Panthers, Bills or anyone picking on the Top 5 don't get A.J. Green and that Dallas is picking in the top 10 of the draft (ahead of Cleveland), I'd say trade 2 or 3 of our picks and maybe another high pick next year so we can acquire A.J. Green.

Though this is an idealistic dream come true for the offense, our secondary is suspect to falter if we don't make proper adjustments to them during the offseason. Depending on how we manage the free-agent market this coming offseason, I wouldn't count on drafting Green as a red hot priority until we at least make progress in fixing that secondary.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• rNemesis
            HOW CLOSE IS THIS TEAM TO COMPETING?(VERY LONG)Please provide feedback
            by rNemesis
            First of all let me just say that these last few years have been VERY frustrating and embarassing for me as a RAM FAN and I'm sure you guys are just as disappointed. I have watched my team go from the greatest show on turf to, as a washington post columnist said after the redskins loss, " the most miserable mass on grass". MY main question here is , " How far are the rams from being a decent competitive rock solid team? Its a long way to go; it doesnt happen overnight but it shouldnt take FOREVER either.

But I am not gonna sit here and talk about that all night. We know what has happened. We know what we've become. 13 straight losses dating back to last season. 3-13 in 2007 and 2-14 in 2008. 5 wins in the last 30 or so games? ( not sure exactly the stats) That is horrible.

Let's go back year by year as to how we finished record wise.
            In the 1990's we were bad. But so were other teams which are now good today. But if you look at our 90's record to others, you will see that we were bad most of those years. Other teams had bad years too during the 90's but it was only really the lions, bengals, cardinals and saints. That should show you how bad of a team the Rams are. We never finished over 7 wins from 1990 up until 1999, which was our superbowl year. Which now tells me that the Rams have been bad, are now bad, and I hope we dont continue to be bad. But lately one has to believe that that is the penalty for our actions.

2000- 10-6 DECENT
            2001- 14-2 ( excellent; we beat the pats that season but lost in the SB to the same :|)
            2002- 7-9 Not bad
            2003- 12-4 excellent
            2004- 8-8 not bad; competitive
            2005- I think we were 7-9 or 6-10 cant remember
            2006- 8-8
            2007- 3-13 horrible
            2008- 2-14 lousy

I am not surprised at how we have fallen so badly. What I cant seem to understand is how fast we have fallen as such. How come we havent been able to stop the bleeding and bounce back like other teams have seemed to?

So tell me guys. How far off is this team from competing? Well, I look at the league and I have noticed that most of the other teams have playmakers in a lot of key positions. Why is that? Because they do a great job of DRAFTING PLAYERS THAT FIT INTO THEIR SCHEME WELL. We on the other hand have not done that lately. We have drafted players that have done well IN THEIR SCHEME and so it didnt matter to the previous regime ( Jay ZYgmunt ) if they fit or not the point was they wanted them so much that they drafted them regardless of their college scheme and success. In the era since Martz left, we have drafted the likes of busts ( or so they appear to be) like Tye Hill, Adam Carriker, Claude Wroten, Fakhir Brown, etc. The list goes on and on.

THIS HAS REALLY HURT THIS ORGANIZATION SO MUCH THAT IT IS REARING ITS UGLY HEAD NOW. Bad drafting has put us in such a talentless hole that...
            -09-29-2009, 06:43 PM
          • sosa39rams
            It's been great
            by sosa39rams
            I've seen a lot of stupid and silly talk here the last few days, so I will post my insight here and try to lighten the mood with more positives.

This season has been a joy. Its been a privledge to watch these warriors go to work and play all season with meaningful games. It sure did hurt watching our boys lose last night, but they weren't prepared and thats that. I sure hope they improve and learn off of this loss. I know it was very hard to watch, not for my own satisfaction, but rather for theirs. I know how hard this team has worked and fought with countless hours, just to improve, and they sure did, but just came up a bit short. I really did feel bad. Although, I think this was a blessing is disguise. Really, we moved up 7 spots in the draft. If we stayed at 21, I doubt we would have got the WR we wanted. Now we really have a good chance.

Anyways, we should all be very happy. Looking towards next season, we have such a nice young core of players built. Its really exciting. We have Sam I Am Bradford. This kid, damn he is going to be something special. When I say that, I don't mean Joe Flacco good, I mean Peyton Manning/Tom Brady good. There isn't a skill that he doesn't possess. He is the perfect QB and I am so happy we have him. Really, we are blessed we have such a special player controlling the team.

Steven Jackson is still playing at a high level. He sure could use some Guard help though. They frickin suck beyond belief. That has to be addressed.

James Laurinaitis. The QB of our defense. He is really growing and is becoming more and more frightening. He is going to be scary good when he peaks. Unbelievable 2nd round choice DeSpags, nothing short of a miracle.

Chris Long is a terror. This kid is finally living up to his potential. I knew he was going to peak this year. I knew it. He has put fear into the eyes of tackles all over the NFL. He is something we seriously want to build around on the defense.

I basically wanted to name 2 players from each aspect of the team. These players are basically our "pro-bowl" level players. We really have something special being built here. I truly believe that next draft we will complete this team. Get this young gun slinger a weapon.

Draft Needs:

1) WR - We absolutely need one.
            2) Guard - Carl Nicks is a free agent, thats all I have to say.
            3) Backup RB - SJ needs some help. Kendall Hunter anyone?

I feel like those are our biggest needs. We can solve the guard problem in FA. I feel like if we get these things done, we will be a 10, or 11 win team next year really threatening in the playoffs.

This is basically all guys. I will be doing a mock draft soon. I am really excited actually. Just remember guys, stay positive!
            -01-03-2011, 05:25 PM
          • rNemesis
            When can we be "relevant " again?
            by rNemesis
            First off let me say "THANK YOU SAM' for playing very well against the Patriots in his first career NFL start and third preseason game. It was an excellent display of poise, arm strength, confidence in the pocket and durability of his shoulder and ability to take sacks and hits and stay cool under pressure. However, while I am very proud of it and it was nice for him to get this off his chest, he still needs a lot more work and reps and this will only come with time of course and its to be expected from a rookie QB. But he did what he HAD to do, and it was a good thing AJ Feeley got injured, because it seemed to have come at the right time. This was exactly what he needed to feel even more confident and comfortable in the NFL. I watched the game myself, and let me tell you I was very impressed with the way he looked and the way the team looked in general. Accurate zip on passes no matter where it really was, he made those passes. He got good protection from the O-line and help from Jackson and little bit of Darby.

Was anyone looking for an identity for this team? Well I think its this. If you notice, either good teams, especially with great defense, play to their level of their opponent or they dont. I feel like the Rams have just recently been a team that plays to the level of their opponent. When we play sub.500 teams, we play a good close game. When we play a good team, we fight hard to stay in the game, but our OFFENSE just lets us down; had they scored some points, they would have been much more manageable games for us. We will DEFINITELY establish SJAX and whoever else for the running game to set up PA to whoever is open downfield. If we have to run the ball all day, we can do that. If we have to air it out, I feel like we are capable enough of a good passing game too.

SO MY QUESTION IS THIS: When can we be back in the the playoffs and start being an elite team ? It is possible, although rather very difficult, to turn a 1-15 team into a 9-7 or better team. ( aka 08 dolphins to 09 dolphins, I'm sure there are other examples but that one always come to mind) . But this is exactly what I could'nt understand for years. The fact that other teams had seem to be winning year in year out and if not winning, at the very least having respectable records. But no, not us , because why? We're the "same old sorry ass rams" to a lot of critics. WHY? where did that name even come from anyway ? A bad 90's decade ? SO what who cares? I just dont see why everyone is/was making a big deal about our losing seasons, albeit it was very dismal. But it would have had to been the horrible draft picks during that previous regime. Thank God we have sensible people in place running this team that know how to build and run one, no matter its history.

What all do we need? A playmaking WR ? A legit backup to steven Jax? A premier pass rusher? Someone mentioned somewhere a couple of days ago on this forum that...
            -08-27-2010, 03:16 PM
          • rNemesis
            I dont see how a team could be so bad....
            by rNemesis
            YEt be better than our Rams.

I mean I just dont get what it takes to win in this league man. I am just tired of hearing the SAME OLD RAMS talk from all these so called analysts and experts and whoever else. Whenever we are playing a great or good team, we never get the pick , and probably rightfully so. But whenever we play a bad team, no matter what their record is now, was then, or what they predict it to be this year, its like they always pick us to lose. I dont see how a team could lose 12 games a year yet be "better than us"

I dont see how a team could be 2-14 yet be " better than us"

I MEAN COME ON GUYS!!! WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!!! BULLISH!!!! You cannot sit here and tell me that EVERY team in the league is "LEAPS AND BOUNDS" ahead of us and that " they only need a couple of pieces" yet " we have so many gaping holes'

Let me tell you what I have been doing the past 3 painful years. I have been watching closely ( and understanding) what it takes to win in this league. I have watch us play every team in the NFL over that period, I think. And at some point you have to wonder " OK, when is this losing going to stop"? We have played everyone from the Colts and Saints straight down to the Lions and Chiefs. SO you sit and wonder after every loss if you are ever going to win because you see all the mistakes you make and all of the lack of impact players. Now all that is pretty much addressed, aside from a couple more positions, we have some good players on this team and we have STILL NOT won a game? BULLISH!!!

NOW think about THAT my friends!! Think about why some other teams "suck" yet they can find a way to win some games. Why cant we?

Biggest question I have ever tried to find the answer to, and probably also the most annoying. Dont tell me its because we have too many holes.
            -09-17-2010, 01:56 PM
          • FestusRam
            Whats really exciting to me
            by FestusRam
            Havent really been on here much lately but just wanted to throw this out there and i figure most of you feel the same way.

The most exciting thing to me about the Rams is after this Chargers win i feel like theyre a completely new team. After starting off 2-2 i was very optimistic but at the same time i remember a couple of years ago when Haslett stepped up and we one two games in a row. After those games we lost every other one.

After the loss to the lions and losing Clayton, i was somewhat expecting us to plummet and end this season on a bad note. But after watching the Chargers game i think they proved something huge. I think they proved they are a legit team in this league and are on the uprise. I was excited about the wins against the Skins and Hawks but i wasnt so sure if we were all that good. IMO beating the Chargers put us on a whole dif level and no one can call all of these wins flukes. They dismantled the high powered offense as our offense got going too. This isnt just another rams team of the past 3 years that decided to show up for a couple gamers. This teams legit and are actually playoff contenders as of now. Thats exciting

Besides that im pumped about seeing what Danario can do. I see no flaws in his game except his injuries. Im excited we finally have a tall big body that we can throw the ball up to in the endzone so hopefully they get him in more plays this week.

GO RAMS!!!!! 3-3
            -10-20-2010, 01:58 PM
          Working...
          X