• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB Murphy Tweaks Hamstring

CB Murphy tweaks hamstring

BY JIM THOMAS
    Thursday, December 2, 2010

Even without Kurt Warner at quarterback, Arizona still uses a lot of three_ and four-wide receiver sets. So the St. Louis Rams will need just about every cornerback available for Sunday's game in Glendale, Ariz.

But rookie Jerome Murphy, who has been the Rams' third or fourth corner most of the season, was limited in practice Thursday after tweaking his hamstring.

"That happened in special teams practice," coach Steve Spagnuolo said.

If Murphy can't go against the Big Red, he would be replaced by either Quincy Butler or Kevin Dockery. Butler has participated in only a handful of plays since signing with the team Oct. 25 and has been inactive the past three games. Dockery has been inactive the past two games following his rocky start Nov. 14 in San Francisco.

Fullback Mike Karney, who was on the pregame inactive list in Denver, did not practice Thursday because of what Spagnuolo said was "a groin issue."

The rest of the team's official injury report was unchanged from Wednesday: defensive tackle Darell Scott (foot) was limited and punter Donnie Jones (calf) and cornerback Justin King (shoulder) were full participation Thursday.

Re: CB Murphy Tweaks Hamstring

I'm all for giving Butler a go. We've seen what Dockrey has done previously and it hasn't been pretty. He didn't make the active roster last week.

Comment

Re: CB Murphy Tweaks Hamstring

Completely agree, IMHO. DOckery has been given the opportunity to show he still had it from the Giants, but he clearly doesnt. Butler probably has more upside of the two. He is probably the better bet right now

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
        Looks Like Quincy Butler Is Next Up As Rams Corner
        by r8rh8rmike
        10.29.2009 3:49 pm
        Looks like Quincy Butler is next up as Rams corner
        By Jim Thomas
        St. Louis Post-Dispatch

As usual, St. Louis Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said a final decision won’t be made until the end of the week, but it looks like Quincy Butler will step into the starting lineup Sunday at cornerback in place of the injured Bradley Fletcher.

“We may go with Quincy Butler,” Spagnuolo said Thursday. “We’ll make a final decision after tomorrow.”

Butler, no relation to starting safety James Butler, has gotten the lion’s share of the reps with the starters this week in Fletcher’s spot. That leaves Justin King if healthy in the nickel back role. And Jonathan Wade, who started the first four games at right corner, in a reserve role.

After missing the Indianapolis game with a groin injury, King has been listed as “limited participation” on the Rams’ official injury report Wednesday and Thursday.

Butler, a second-year pro from Texas Christian, joined the Rams late last season after being claimed off waivers from Dallas. Limited mainly to special teams work earlier this season, Butler made his first NFL start last Sunday against Indianapolis, but only because the Rams opened in a “dime” defense featuring six defensive backs.

Flecher suffered a season-ending knee injury against the Colts. He underwent surgery Tuesday to repair lateral meniscus cartilage damage in the knee. He will have additional surgery next month to repair anterior cruciate ligament damage in the knee.

* DE James Hall (groin) also was listed as limited participation. DE C.J. Ah You (ankle) and RG Richie Incognito (foot) missed practice.

* DT Clifton Ryan (illness) was sent home and did not practice. Offensive lineman John Greco was back Thursday after missing Wednesday’s practice to attend to a family matter.
        -10-29-2009, 05:31 PM
      • MauiRam
        Murphy Preparing for Duty ..
        by MauiRam
        By Nick Wagoner/Senior Writer

Jerome Murphy spent his first NFL Sunday tracking Larry Fitzgerald.

But the rookie cornerback from South Florida didn’t do it in pads out on the Edward Jones Dome playing surface.

Instead, Murphy found himself in street clothes as one of the team’s pregame inactives. His assignment for the day: follow Fitzgerald’s every move and track it for the coaching staff.

“I was patient and working on the sideline helping the coaches out by writing down the routes Fitzgerald was running and charting what he was doing,” Murphy said.

While the Rams’ first and second round draft choices, quarterback Sam Bradford and left tackle Rodger Saffold, were playing an integral role in Sunday’s game, Murphy had not yet done enough to earn one of the 45 active roster spots for the opener against Arizona.

So Murphy sat by patiently, taking as many mental repetitions as possible and trying to learn the nuances of the game from the sideline.

Of course, when backup corners Kevin Dockery and Justin King, who both play in sub-packages, left with hamstring injuries, the Rams were left short at the position.

“Yeah,” coach Steve Spagnuolo said. “It’s just that when you looked at it and you were going to put four corners up, some of the other guys have a little more experience and were kind of more comfortable with the scheme. So Jerome will get his chance.”

With that duo again fighting injuries this week, it appears Murphy’s chance is going to come sooner than later.

In Wednesday’s practice, Dockery and King both sat out the duration of the practice. Dockery’s hamstring injury was the more severe of the two and he isn’t likely to be ready this week. King’s status is more uncertain.

Either way, it seems Murphy is about to make his NFL debut against the Raiders on Sunday.

“Well, he may be forced into it,” Spagnuolo said. “He’s a young guy, he’s a rookie. Right now, we had some veterans that we could play there, but we’ll see. Maybe he’ll be the…maybe that will be the change.”

Because Dockery and King work mostly in the nickel spots, it stands to reason that any role Murphy would play on Sunday would come in the slot.

Much of Murphy’s work since arriving in St. Louis has been on the outside but he says he’s done enough with the Rams and in his time in college to feel fine playing in the slot.

“I am ready,” Murphy said. “It’s not like I haven’t been playing nickel or anything before. They have me playing corner and nickel here so I am ready to play both wherever they need me. I am very comfortable. I played a whole season of it when I was in college at South Florida so I had a whole year under my belt so when I got here; it was like I was familiar with it from college.”

LINE (BACKER) DANCING: In Sunday’s opener, the Rams...
        -09-16-2010, 02:10 AM
      • r8rh8rmike
        Looks Like SS James Butler's A Go For Sunday
        by r8rh8rmike
        10.22.2009 5:27 pm
        Looks like SS James Butler’s a go for Sunday
        By Jim Thomas
        St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Just in time for Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts, strong safety James Butler is ready to return from a left knee injury. Butler missed three games after suffering a medial collateral ligament injury Sept. 27 against Green Bay.

Butler was full participation in practice again on Thursday, so barring a setback at the end of the week, he’s expected to be back in the starting lineup Sunday against Indianapolis.

“He brings the experience, and the confidence that the guys have in him making the calls,” coach Steve Spagnuolo said.

Craig Dahl played well in Butler’s absence, and will still see action in some of the Rams’ other defensive alignments, most notably the “dime” package.

“It’s kind of nice that Craig now has some plays under his belt with this group,” Spagnuolo said. “So I think the defense feels comfortable with either one of those guys being in there, which is huge.”

* No Hall: DE James Hall (groin) didn’t practice for the second day in a row, casting doubt on his availibility for the Colts. Chris Long would start in his place.

* Avery Limited: After sitting out Wednesday’s practice, WR Donnie Avery (hip) saw limited action on Thursday. He seemed to be running pretty well, although he came up gimpy after diving for a deep ball on one play.

* More injury/illness updates: Rookie DT Darell Scott was back at practice Thursday after missing Wednesday’s practice because of a stomach virus. Nickel back Justin King (groin) and WR Ruvell Martin (hamstring) had limited participation Thursday. CB Ron Bartell (concussion) and RG Richie Incognito (ankle) had full participation.

* Even though No. 2 overall draft pick Jason Smith is healthy, it looks like Adam Goldberg will start once again at right tackle against Indy. Smith continues to work at both left and right tackle. Against the Colts, it’s possible Smith will rotate in again at right tackle _ as he did last week in Jacksonville _ or even at left tackle with Alex Barron.
        -10-22-2009, 05:16 PM
      • eldfan
        St. Louis Rams 09-17-2010
        by eldfan
        St. Louis Rams St. Louis Rams
        Team Report
        USA TODAY
        Posted 12h 36m ago

For some high-profile young offensive players, Sunday's game in Oakland will present some challenges.
        The Rams' "triangle" that includes quarterback Sam Bradford and tackles Rodger Saffold and Jason Smith will have to contend with the noise that occurs for road games as well as the unique atmosphere that exists at Raiders games.

Said Bradford, "I actually talked to (running back) Steven (Jackson) a little bit about it. He said he played there once earlier in his career and he said it was a very hostile environment. The fans are loud, they yell some improper things, I guess, at times. But at the same time, he said it was a fun environment to play in - that's part of the game. Any time you have the opportunity to play on the road in front of a crowd like Oakland's you have to embrace the opportunity and look forward to it, which is what I'm doing."

Saffold joked that his father told him "to keep your helmet on."

The rookie left tackle got solid reviews for his first start last Sunday against Arizona.

Said coach Steve Spagnuolo, "He had a couple issues where he misfired, but for a rookie going in there and playing left tackle, I thought he did a pretty good job."

Saffold said, "I thought I did pretty well. I definitely think there are some things I need to work on. There are a lot of shifts, a lot of movements that came that I needed to attend to the next day in the corrections meeting and now I just feel better about playing next week. I think I got a good view of how to play throughout a game not just the first half or first series."

In addition, Saffold had to make adjustments, which was a significant learning experience.

"(There were) a lot of people in different positions," he said. "So I was going against everybody and making sure that I understand the full, big picture. That's the only way to be effective because sometimes you have got to be able to grab things on the run, especially safety blitzes and things like that."

Asked what made the biggest impression on him, Saffold said, "How physical it. I got up Monday morning and felt like I got hit by a truck."

Despite Oakland's 38-13 loss to Tennessee, the Rams know they will be in a for a fight in the Raiders' home opener.

"As a team, and especially on defense, they're really fast," Spagnuolo said. "Across the secondary, really up front and at linebacker. This will be a challenging defense for us just like last week was."

Said Bradford, "You know, they're going to challenge us. They're going to get in our face, they're going to play a lot of man coverage. Obviously, Nnamdi (Asomugha) is one of the best corners in the...
        -09-17-2010, 10:06 AM
      • MauiRam
        Rams are hurting at cornerback ..
        by MauiRam
        BY BILL COATS Monday, August 16, 2010 12:00 am

With a training camp-size horde of players at his disposal, Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo probably wasn't anticipating serious depth issues in Saturday night's preseason opener at the Edward Jones Dome.

But injuries left him with a dicey situation at cornerback, with only three healthy bodies remaining to finish the 28-7 loss to Minnesota.

"It gets scary," Spagnuolo said. "And think of it: You've got an 80-man roster now (the game-day limit in the regular season is 45). But we got through it."

They did so with Quincy Butler, who started alongside Kevin Dockery, playing almost the entire game, and rookies Marquis Johnson — who only recently returned from a knee injury — and Antoine Thompson seeing extended action.

"The guys that had to play. ... I appreciate their efforts," Spagnuolo said.

Three cornerbacks were unavailable: Ron Bartell (ankle), Bradley Fletcher (knee) and Justin King (calf). Then rookie Jerome Murphy went down with an ankle injury in the first minute of the second quarter. Dockery left later with a hip pointer.

Spagnuolo said Sunday that Murphy probably won't practice this week and that if Dockery gets any work in, it will be a bonus. But Bartell and Fletcher will practice, at least on a limited basis.

"So, good and bad," Spagnuolo said. "If we get some snaps out of Kevin during the week, we're a half a guy better than we were last week, so to speak."

other injuries

Also injured Saturday were safety Craig Dahl (knee), linebacker Dominic Douglas (shoulder) and wide receiver Brandon McRae (ankle). All are day-to-day, Spagnuolo said.

In addition to Bartell and Fletcher, defensive end C.J. Ah You (hamstring), guard Jacob Bell (side), wide receiver Mardy Gilyard (arm) and wideout Brandon Gibson (hamstring) should get limited work at practice this week.

Probably out for at least another week are King, kicker Josh Brown (hip), guard John Greco (chest), safety James Butler (knee) and defensive end Eugene Sims (hamstring).

MORE SUISHAM

Brown's extended absence means that Shaun Suisham is likely to be the Rams' kicker again Saturday night in Cleveland. Suisham, added to the roster Thursday, booted an extra point and kicked off twice vs. the Vikings.

westbrook watch

Despite reports over the weekend that free-agent running back Brian Westbrook could land with the Rams as early as today, Spagnuolo said nothing was imminent.

"No real update," he said. "I talked to Brian before I went on vacation; he and I have a good relationship. And then every once in a while we'll text back and forth. But nothing concrete right now."

good and bad

Return men generally...
        -08-16-2010, 10:29 AM
      Working...
      X