For those of you who want a new D....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those of you who want a new D....

How do you do it? There is not room in the salary cap currently to buy what you need. DB's, especially really good ones, aren't cheap. They are almost as much if not more than elite WR's and RB's currently.

Here are some questions.....

1. Do you not sign Pace to a long term contract, get a young stud in the draft and sign an elite DB?
    2. Do you let Faulk walk when his contract is up and utilize that money on the defensive side of the ball?
    3. Do you attempt to restructure Bruce's current contract for DB help?

I know Polley won't be back next year as he is an unrestricted FA. So that may free up a little dough.

Re: For those of you who want a new D....

At the risk of being burned for heretical statements, I vote for...
    Originally posted by Tx
    2. Do you let Faulk walk when his contract is up and utilize that money on the defensive side of the ball?
    I feel bad for saying it, but this may be the best answer.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

No, you let Pace walk after the immature behavior and use that money for a lineman and someone on the defensive side. You can't let Marshall walk.

Comment

Originally posted by DJRamFan
        No, you let Pace walk after the immature behavior and use that money for a lineman and someone on the defensive side. You can't let Marshall walk.
        The reason I would let Faulk go is because we have his replacement. If we let Pace go, we have to find a replacement for him (which we won't) just to get back to where we are now.

Comment

TX-

I think the answer depends on if you want to re-load immediately, or can afford to wait 2-3 years as part of a re"building" plan.

The answer also might depend on who the DC is at the time. Right now - the DC job is vacant IMO. (or it will be shortly!)

I will respond again, when I have time.

ARF

Comment

how about all the above...

Jackson will be ready to repalce Faulk
            Restucturing Bruce may be tricky seeing how he is performing this year
            and Pace is eating away at this teams ability to stay in the elite group. can we at least get a #1 pick for him !!

the money saved on Pace can bring in some solid performers on hte OL.. i.e. a left and right guard (no supermen required just solid)

The rest of the dosh goes on defense as this unit needs a lot of help. Firstly I think that the DL has steadily improved this year (i know i was bagging them early on) I think their lack of size and experience has been unduly emphasised due to the lack of support by the rest of the team. Still i think we should find an experinced DT in the FA market.

Polley will definetly go - chillar replaces
            Thomas - i think he makes an adequate backup but we really need a beast in this position.. this is where the FA/trade money goes
            Pisa - will improve with a motivational leadership

DB's - I think this unit is a shambles. personally I would completely overhaul it in the offseason.. we have to find replacements for both CB's and Aeneas (still have faith in archuleta).. like Tx, I don't think we can complete in the FA market for the few quality DB's available so will come down to draft and luck. Early to say but we must go for DB and OT with number one picks (assuming we get a #1 for Pace) DB in the second round.

Oh... and while we're at it.. lets stop giving losers a chance... Marmie has to pack his bags.

Side note: I still believe Bulger and the offense will be a lot better off with a quality TE

Comment

Lovie got alot more out of mostly the same defensive players we have now.
              Although there are few outstanding players an our D roster, I (IMHO) believe that the D cooridinator is to blame here. Our D ranking swapped places with his former team, the Cardinals. Is this merely a coinsidence? I doubt it.

Aeneas has made a heads up strip of the ball in 2 of the last few games. His experience / leadership is a big plus.

NO WAY we cut Marshall and "supermen" protecting the QB is exactly what we need.

Most of us as Ram fans were concerned with the selection of Marmie before the season ever started. We proved to be correct (again). Why doesn't the front office see these things? Most of us do.
              Could it be about $$$$? If so, then fire the owner.

:helmet: GO RAMS

Comment

Originally posted by DJRamFan
                With Pace gone, be prepared to watch the offense match the current defense's poor play then. By letting him walk, we get NOTHING and have no replacement for him. Bulger's taking enough hits as it is. I doubt he'd welcome losing one of the game's elite left tackles because we're trying to make a moral point. If Pace is moved at all, we should tender and trade him and at least get something.

The best answer is to let Faulk walk or even release him. Faulk signed a seven-year, $44 million extension in July 2002, according to the Associated Press, which expires ion 2008. We'll need that cap room before then. Heck, we might need it next season. Unless Marshall restructures, I'd say that's the best option. Asking Bruce to restructure probably wouldn't hurt either.

Comment

Originally posted by elAcky
                  the money saved on Pace can bring in some solid performers on hte OL.. i.e. a left and right guard (no supermen required just solid)

The rest of the dosh goes on defense
                  I'd love to hear what your plan for protecting Marc Bulger's blindside is then, since no money saved from dealing Pace will be used to find his replacement. Are you to draft a left tackle with the first rounder we get from Pace? How do we shore up the right side of the line, then?

Comment

I doubt he'd welcome losing one of the game's elite left tackles because we're trying to make a moral point. If Pace is moved at all, we should tender and trade him and at least get something.
                    Not trying to make a moral point here.. all i'm saying is that the current state of the OL is a direct consequence of us putting all our eggs into Pace's basket.. i think Bulger will get a lot better protection if we distribute the talent evenly along the line... after all, seems to work for the Pats.

re: draft a RT.. if we let him sit behind williams for a year then eventually we might just do that (upgrade that position).. obviously we will need to bring in a steady LT to replace 70% of Pace. but personally i prefer 70% of Pace with an upgrade across the rest of the line to what we have today.

Comment

Originally posted by Hacksaw
                      NO WAY we cut Marshall and "supermen" protecting the QB is exactly what we need.
                      With Pace gone, be prepared to watch the offense match the current defense's poor play then. By letting him walk, we get NOTHING and have no replacement for him. Bulger's taking enough hits as it is. I doubt he'd welcome losing one of the game's elite left tackles because we're trying to make a moral point. If Pace is moved at all, we should tender and trade him and at least get something.

The best answer is to let Faulk walk or even release him. Faulk signed a seven-year, $44 million extension in July 2002, according to the Associated Press, which expires ion 2008. We'll need that cap room before then. Heck, we might need it next season. Unless Marshall restructures, I'd say that's the best option. Asking Bruce to restructure probably wouldn't hurt either.
                      Well then, you get what you pay for. Pace is going to break the bank on the open market or we just tag him again and plan on spending 8.5 million along with the 6.4 in Warner dead money. 15 million could go a long way in shoring up the defense. I realize that the dead money on Warner is what it is, dead. Can't use it. Just trying to emphasize my point. You can't have a stellar offense and a stellar defense at the same time without making some decisions that may not be popular with the fan base. So we keep Pace.....Marshall dosen't restructure and neither does Bruce. We will be in the same cap scenario next year as this year with the same type of ballclub. The DT's are coming around, but the LB's, CB's and S positions are not very good. Yes, we have talent in Arch and Aeneas but Aeneas won't be around much longer. Long term view? If the Rams don't free up some cap room on the offensive side of the ball, don't EVER expect the defense to be very good.

Comment

1. We can't let Pace walk. I think he'll sign a long-term deal before next season. He dropped the Postons after all.

2. We need Faulk on this team to help Steven Jackson. Faulk is the teacher that will only make Jackson better in the future.

3. Bruce could restructure since he seems like the kinda guy to do that. However, I wouldn't blame him seeing as he's still putting up awesome numbers.

4. I agree that we need to draft OT-DB in the first two rounds of the 2005 draft. I think Michael Munoz will be available when we draft for round one, and maybe we can pick up someone like Brimmer (S - UNLV) or Butler (S - Georgia Tech). I don't think Archuleta is what we're looking for at SS. He just seems like he misses too many tackles.

5. Key free agents in 2005 that I'd gladly welcome on the Rams: Ed Hartwell (Ravens will most likely let him walk, could be the solid MLB the Rams need and could possibly be afforded when Polley is gone), or crazy Chris Hovan (not on good terms with Mike Tice, has been benched for the last 2 games I believe). Andre Dyson or Fred Smoot would be an improvement over our corners and we could move Butler back to nickel. But once again, finances would prevent us from bringing in more than one of the aforementioned players.

6. On offense the only problem spot I see is at Right Tackle. Other than that we should be solid next year, but this defense needs to be overhauled. The only players I see worth keeping in the starting lineup is Leonard Little (who knows if he'll be available), Pisa, and Travis Fisher (second CB). Aeneas still offers leadership that's hard to turn away but let's face it. We may need to head another direction after this year.

Comment

Originally posted by ZigZag
                          2. We need Faulk on this team to help Steven Jackson. Faulk is the teacher that will only make Jackson better in the future.
                          ZZ, I understand what you're saying, but I don't know if we can afford to pay $7 million to a teacher. Faulk is still good, and I hate to see him go, but by next year Jackson will be our best option at RB (IMHO), and we can't afford to pay roughly $7 million to a back-up RB.

Comment

By zigzag

5. Key free agents in 2005 that I'd gladly welcome on the Rams: Ed Hartwell (Ravens will most likely let him walk, could be the solid MLB the Rams need and could possibly be afforded when Polley is gone), or crazy Chris Hovan (not on good terms with Mike Tice, has been benched for the last 2 games I believe). Andre Dyson or Fred Smoot would be an improvement over our corners and we could move Butler back to nickel. But once again, finances would prevent us from bringing in more than one of the aforementioned players.
                            With the way our salary cap is right now, and if like you say we have to keep both Pace and Faulk, we can't even afford a plane ticket for any of those guys.

Comment

Man, if any of the rest of us had started a thread asking about the off-season already, I could have seen some curse words being spewed all over, maybe even a post or two deleted. The real question is what are the Rams going to do now?

Comment