Dump Marshall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dump Marshall?

As far as I can tell, Marshall has not been much of an impact player this year. I have not been able to see many games, but I don't hear "Marshall, Marshall, Marshall" very often it seems.

If he is one of the "offensive salary-cap eatin pigs" who is no longer pulling his weight, should the team dump him, trade him, or re-negotiate his contract? Jackson certainly has earned being designated the future RB, and we need help on the D, which will cost cap bucks.

So what do you think? Sentimentality aside, is Marshall actually pulling his contract weight?

Re: Dump Marshall?

I would expect to see the Rams try to restructure his contract after this season.

Comment

I agree with that. He really can't be traded, as nobody is going to give up much for a 30+ RB with "bad knees" and a big contract. Cutting him would not serve any purpose (and would be a mistake) as the Rams would still have to pay him. Restructuring is the best option.

Comment

If I was the coach, I would never get rid of Faulk. As it stands right now, he looks to be in great shape so I would be playing him as much as possible to try and control the gameclock and scoreboard.

Now, if we're talking about the Rams and how Martz uses him, I would say trade him as soon as possible while he still has some value. If the Rams are going to use a split backfield and not feature any kind of real running game, KEVIN Faulk would be a lot better for the Rams overall. Sure, there would be a dropoff in overall production but I'm pretty sure Kevin's been in the league long enough to know how to pick up all the blitzes that Marshall's been doing lately as well as being a very good receiver out of the backfield.

I don't know if Kevin is available but he's just an example of the multitude of rb's that are out there that are servicable and cost a LOT less than Marshall. Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather Martz be using Marshall, a la Priest Holmes, Curtis Martin or Tiki Barber and make him earn the salary he's being paid. I'm sure Marshall would want that too.

So, realistically, unless Marshall restructures(again?), I think he should go somewhere that will allow him to actually get some carries, give the Rams a little something in return and start under-utilizing our first round pick of 2004. I'm not knocking Martz's style of offense here, I'm just knocking the "wisdom" of having one hall of fame running back being paid a ton of money in addition to a first round pick that the Rams had to trade up to get, on a team that doesn't feature the running back and needs help and depth all across the board. Big money being spent on the rb position is a waste for the Rams.

Comment

Faulk's future is really in Jackson's hands. Does Jackson make people want to forget Marshall? Time hasn't borne this out yet. He looks to be a stud ... but ...

Comment

I really think this will be Marshall's last year. He has a good head on his shoulders and will want to go out on top, and not stick around like Smith has and do damage to a lustrous career. This is Marshall's last hurrah, so enjoy it.

Comment

I just don't see Marshall Faulk in the same situation as Emmitt Smith yet. When given the chance, Marshall is indeed pulling his weight. He is a team leader who can do it all. In a "non-productive" game against Miami he had 12 carries for 61 yards with an average per carry over 5 and a long run of 18 yards to go with 8 catches for 74 yards. Still way too valuable to dump.

Comment

Don't look now but it looks as if Emmit is putting together a good season.

Marshall still has a lot of use on this team...that is, if we decide to use him. However, I do think that he needs to restructure or be gone because we could definitely find somebody cheaper to replace him.

We might lose a bit of production, but we'd gain production in other areas (ehem! defense) if we were allowed to spend the cap money from his contract. I'd like to see Marshall retire as a Ram, but if we want to be succesful, we can't keep shelling out that kind of money.

Comment

he may still be somewhat productive, but is he multi-million dollar productive? That I don't know. I don't see it yet this year though.

Comment

Originally posted by txramsfan
                    he may still be somewhat productive, but is he multi-million dollar productive? That I don't know. I don't see it yet this year though.
                    The talent, skill and drive are still there. Put the load on Marshall's back and he will earn the bank he's being paid.

Comment

mike, from what you have seen this year, you are REALLY REALLY REALLY sure about that?

I'm not.

Comment

Originally posted by moklerman
                        I don't know if Kevin is available
                        He was resigned by the Patriots this season to a six-year deal.

Originally posted by moklerman
                        Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather Martz be using Marshall, a la Priest Holmes, Curtis Martin or Tiki Barber and make him earn the salary he's being paid. I'm sure Marshall would want that too.
                        The question is, can Marshall be used like that? I'm not so sure, and I'm not saying that because of Marshall himself but also because of our O-line and offensive scheme. The closest comparison is Priest Holmes, but Holmes has far less wear and tear on his body at 31 than Marshall does at that age. So it's hard to say.

Originally posted by ZigZagRam
                        Don't look now but it looks as if Emmit is putting together a good season.
                        How do you figure? Besides games against Seattle (in a slump), us (weak run defense), and the Saints (weak run defense), he hasn't looked that great, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike
                          The talent, skill and drive are still there. Put the load on Marshall's back and he will earn the bank he's being paid.
                          All three of those things may still be there, but I think the legs are leaving him. His 4.2 ypc is respectable, no question. But that's more than a yard less than his 99-01 seasons. And it's not like he's hurt, he's healthy (according to all words out of Rams camp). So when he played hurt last year and managed a 3.9 ypc, we could say wait until he's healthy. Well, he's healthy and putting up great numbers, but in the words of Tx...
                          Originally posted by Tx
                          is he multi-million dollar productive?
                          I don't think so. And especially with a much less expensive option on the sidelines averaging 5.7 ypc.

I love Marshall, but he's too expensive at this point in his career. Option 1: restructure (this would be my preference). Option 2: Trade to San Diego (where he has stated he wants to be at or after his retirement) for what will probably have to be a below market price.
                          The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Tx, I think it's still there, but it is indeed hard to know for sure without seeing Marshall get to carry a consistent, reasonable load. The key for me is the fire, desire and heart I still see in him.

Comment

How do you figure? Besides games against Seattle (in a slump), us (weak run defense), and the Saints (weak run defense), he hasn't looked that great, IMO.
                              To be fair, Emmitt has had a decent season, especially to be 35. NE and Atl chopped him down, but otherwise he has been running well. He's on pace for 1200 yards and 11 TDs, and currently he's 5th in the NFC in rushing yards. His receiving numbers aren't great, but they never have been.
                              The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment