• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulger displays tact as opponent gets fined for hit

By Bill Coats
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    11/03/2004
    Rams quarterback Marc Bulger, an admitted political junkie, could be excused for his slightly bleary-eyed look Wednesday morning at Rams Park. He was up until about 1 a.m., monitoring the election returns on television.

Bulger, a Republican who attended the presidential debate last month at Washington University, acknowledged that he was happy with the results. "I am," he said. "Just the fact that it's decided and we're not going to have to sit around and wait. Either way it would've gone, I think that would've been good for everyone, to have some clarity. And now that we have it, it's good."

Bulger was equally diplomatic when asked his reaction to the $7,500 fine the NFL levied against Miami defensive end Jason Taylor. Taylor was cited for unnecessary roughness for body-slamming Bulger to the ground in the fourth quarter Oct. 24 as Bulger threw a touchdown pass to wide receiver Shaun McDonald. Bulger suffered a bruised right shoulder, but no penalty was called.

"You don't like to see guys fined," Bulger said. "I'm sure it wasn't intentional. I just wish they would've thrown a flag rather than have him fined. But it's over with now."

Looker and Cleeland miss practice session

Wide receiver Dane Looker and tight end Cam Cleeland, both nursing ankle injuries, sat out Wednesday's practice. Looker, who suffered a high-ankle sprain vs. the Dolphins, probably will miss Sunday's gave against New England. Cleeland, who turned his lower ankle in practice Monday, is expected to be ready.

"We're on the mend physically," coach Mike Martz said. "This is probably as healthy as we've been."

Linebacker Brandon Chillar, who pulled his right hamstring in the first quarter at Miami, returned to practice Wednesday. He was hurt after making his second successive start at middle linebacker. "It's part of the game," said Chillar, the Rams' fourth-round draft choice last April. "You've just got to roll with this type of stuff. There are a lot of games left."

Grant Williams (neck, shoulder) participated in most of the work Wednesday after seeing limited action Monday. Williams, who shared time at right tackle with Scott Tercero in team drills, said the "stinger" he suffered in the second half against the Dolphins left his right side "a little weak, but it's doing pretty good. I'm doing a little more each day in practice, and we'll see how it goes."

Defensive tackle Jimmy Kennedy (foot), linebacker Robert Thomas (ankle), running back and kick returner Arlen Harris (hamstring), defensive end Tyoka Jackson and cornerback Travis Fisher (arm) practiced without limitations.

Looker was listed as doubtful on Wednesday's injury report. Chillar, Cleeland, Harris, Jackson, Thomas and Williams were probable. Neither Kennedy nor Fisher was included in the injury report.

If Looker can't play Sunday, the Rams will have to find a new holder for kicker Jeff Wilkins. Although Bulger held for an extra point vs. the Dolphins after Looker was injured, Martz said he wouldn't risk his No. 1 quarterback. He indicated that backup QB Chris Chandler probably would fill the role.

Re: Bulger displays tact as opponent gets fined for hit

Marc "Zen" Bulger at his best.

Comment

Probably the best answer he could give. Well done, Marc.

Comment

Nice to know we have a good 'ole Republican quarterback at the helm.

FYI, no democratic supporter has ever quarterbacked his team to a SuperBowl victory.

Ok that's BS.

Comment

Originally posted by ZigZagRam
          Nice to know we have a good 'ole Republican quarterback at the helm.

FYI, no democratic supporter has ever quarterbacked his team to a SuperBowl victory.

Ok that's BS.
          Interesting thought. I would almost bet that Steve Young (Utah) would be a Republican. Yet he spent all but two years of his career in the seed of the most liberal Democratic stronghold (San Fran) in the country. Hmm, wonder how much heat he had to deal with around election time?
          The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by RamWraith
            By Bill Coats
            Of the Post-Dispatch
            11/03/2004

Williams, who shared time at right tackle with Scott Tercero in team drills, said the "stinger" he suffered in the second half against the Dolphins left his right side "a little weak, but it's doing pretty good. I'm doing a little more each day in practice, and we'll see how it goes."
            It's hard for me to appreciate how Grant thinks he is any weaker with the injury as opposed to without it. Giving up 9 of the 16 sacks prior to Dolphins game was pretty dam weak as is.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
              Rams blame Bulger injury on cheap shot
              by Nick
              Rams blame Bulger injury on cheap shot
              By Jim Thomas
              Of the Post-Dispatch
              Sunday, Oct. 24 2004

Miami defensive end
              drove the quarterback
              to ground, Martz says

MIAMI - As if the 31-14 final score weren't bad enough for the Rams,
              quarterback Marc Bulger ended Sunday's game with a sore throwing shoulder after
              what the Rams claim was a cheap-shot hit by Miami defensive end Jason Taylor.

"I know how he got hurt, and it bothers me," coach Mike Martz said. "He got
              driven into the ground."

The play in question occurred when Bulger threw a touchdown pass to Shaun
              McDonald with 5 minutes 19 seconds remaining in the game. After being hit by
              Taylor, Bulger complained to referee Johnny Grier, but there was no flag.

"I wasn't arguing with the fact that it was late," Bulger said. "And I know
              it's football. But it's just a matter that you're in a vulnerable position, the
              ball's gone already, and he slams you down."

Officiating crews seem to be watching late hits on quarterbacks more closely
              this season, but that wasn't the case Sunday with Bulger.

"I had my name on the back of my jersey, maybe that's why," Bulger said,
              suggesting that a more prominent quarterback might have gotten a call.

After examination by team medical officials, Bulger said he didn't expect to
              have an MRI exam.

"They said it wasn't separated," Bulger said. "They know exactly what happened,
              right at the spot that it's hurt. It's just an AC joint. ... I think the week
              off will help."

The Rams have a bye this week and don't play until Nov. 7 against New England.

Long injury report

Bulger isn't the only Rams player who might need the bye week to get healthy.

Rookie Brandon Chillar, starting for the second game in a row in place of the
              injured Robert Thomas (ankle), suffered a pulled hamstring in the first
              quarter. He was replaced at middle linebacker by Trev Faulk.

Wide receiver Dane Looker suffered an ankle injury making a third-down catch on
              the Rams' second-quarter touchdown drive. The Rams scored on the next play, so
              Bulger took over Looker's holder duties on the extra point. Looker returned to
              hold following the Rams' fourth-quarter TD but was replaced in the Rams'
              four-wide receiver sets by Kevin Curtis.

Several other Rams failed to finish the game: starting defensive end Bryce
              Fisher left with a bruised chest; offensive tackle Grant Williams left with a
              pinched nerve in his neck and shoulder area; and backup cornerback Dwight
              Anderson suffered a shoulder injury on punt coverage early...
              -10-24-2004, 11:34 PM
            • RamWraith
              Bulger shoulders the pain
              by RamWraith
              By Jim Thomas
              Of the Post-Dispatch
              Wednesday, Dec. 08 2004

It looks like Chris Chandler will be the Rams' starting quarterback for the
              Carolina AND Arizona games.

In his first comments to reporters since suffering a bruised shoulder Sunday
              against San Francisco, Marc Bulger said his target date for a return is Dec. 27
              against Philadelphia.

"I think we're shooting for Philly now," Bulger said. "Best case, hopefully, I
              can be back for next week. You hate to guess right now. You don't know after I
              can finally throw if it's going to flare back up. So I'm going to rest it a
              week and then see."

The Rams play at Carolina on Sunday; and then travel to Arizona for a game Dec.

Bulger said the shoulder has improved since Sunday's game. So he might try some
              light throwing Monday or Tuesday, "just to see how it reacts."

For the most part, Bulger said the discomfort in the shoulder isn't too bad.

"But throwing a football is obviously different," he said. "If it was my left
              shoulder, I think I could play. But being the right shoulder, throwing the ball
              is just about impossible right now.

"I obviously can't sleep on it. Can't put any pressure on it. Anything going
              across my body hurts a lot worse than anything going away from my body. The
              throwing motion kind of goes across, and that's where I run into problems."

Bulger said he has been sleeping on his back since the injury, which apparently
              has led to some noisy nights. "I think I snore a little bit on my back," he
              said.

Bulger has yet to receive any miracle shoulder cures from fans.

"I got some cookies from a neighbor, that's about it," Bulger said.

Bulger suffered a bone bruise in his throwing shoulder at the top of the
              collarbone against San Francisco. The shoulder was X-rayed at the Edward Jones
              Dome. But Bulger then left with team doctor Matt Matava for an MRI exam at
              Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital.

"We were driving out there listening to the game on the radio," Bulger said.
              "It was definitely a weird feeling."

The Rams wanted to get an MRI as soon as possible because of concerns over a
              possible shoulder separation in the AC joint.

"I felt it click when I went down," Bulger said. "Immediately that's what I
              thought - the AC."

But Bulger and the Rams were relieved to learn that it was just a bone bruise.
              A separation in the AC joint probably would have sidelined him for the rest of
              the season. And such injuries also can affect a quarterback's throwing...
              -12-09-2004, 04:29 AM
            • RamWraith
              Bulger has begun throwing, but return is questionable
              by RamWraith
              By Jim Thomas
              ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
              12/13/2005
              Rams Bulger
              Rams quarterback Marc Bulger (right) is weighing whether it makes sense for him to return this season and risk aggravating his shoulder injury.
              (Chris Lee/P-D)

A part of Marc Bulger wants to get back in the lineup ASAP, even if his injured right shoulder isn't fully healed.

"You don't want to sit here and say, 'I'm going to be smart and just sit it out and get better,'" Bulger said Tuesday. "You think about that a little bit. But that's not my decision. That's not my job. I get paid to play regardless of our record and regardless of how things are going. Right now, I want to be in there."

But a part of him says: Don't rush it this time. Bulger has injured his right shoulder four times over the 2004 and 2005 seasons:

* At Miami on Oct. 24, 2004.

* Against San Francisco on Dec. 5, 2004.

* At Indianapolis on Oct. 17 this season.

* And most recently, against Arizona on Nov. 20.

Each time, Bulger has rushed back into the lineup before the shoulder felt totally right, and he injured it again. The San Francisco injury last season lingered into the offseason - affecting his offseason training - even though he nursed it through the final two regular-season games and two playoff contests.

"It really didn't feel normal again until April or so," Bulger said. "I was a couple months behind last year. So that goes back to would it be smart to come back or not this year."

For now, those considerations are a mere mental exercise, because at the moment, Bulger's shoulder still isn't right.

For the first time since suffering the latest shoulder injury, Bulger threw Tuesday at Rams Park. He still experienced discomfort in the shoulder, and that was throwing at a distance of only 15 yards.

"I couldn't get much velocity," Bulger said. "I wouldn't be able to go in and throw deep outs and deep balls."

Or anything close to that. So that means Bulger will miss this Sunday's home game against Philadelphia, leaving only the game against San Francisco on Dec. 24 and the season finale Jan. 1 at Dallas.

Bulger will try to throw again early next week. But if he can't throw 15 yards without discomfort this week, will his shoulder improve dramatically in seven days?

"I don't anticipate it getting much better that quick," he said. "But I'm just trying to prepare myself if it is."

If he isn't ready by San Francisco next week, it seems almost silly to attempt to play in the final game. Why risk taking a shot on the shoulder against Dallas, which could mean another late start in his offseason conditioning program? Because every time Bulger injures his shoulder, he can't lift...
              -12-14-2005, 04:10 AM
            • RamWraith
              Bulger swaggers in pocket
              by RamWraith
              By Jim Thomas
              Of the Post-Dispatch
              Wednesday, Sep. 07 2005

When last seen against San Francisco, Rams quarterback Marc Bulger was being
              helped off the field of the Edward Jones Dome after getting crumpled by *****
              defensive tackle Bryant Young.

With 1 1/2 minutes remaining in the opening quarter that day, Young eluded Rams
              offensive tackle Grant Williams, sacking Bulger for a 10-yard loss.

"Bryant Young just had my hand, held it to my side, and I landed on my right
              shoulder," Bulger recalled Wednesday. "It was in an awkward position (for) the
              AC joint. ... I couldn't really brace my shoulder for the fall, and it just
              kind of slid out, or whatever those joints do."

Bulger knew right away that his throwing shoulder was messed up.

"With the shoulder, those ligaments get stretched and it's just nearly
              impossible (to throw)," he said. "You can fight through the pain, but you're
              still flinching, and you won't put the ball where you want."

Strange as it sounds, that game proved to be a watershed moment in Bulger's
              career. Although Chris Chandler got the Rams through the rest of that Dec. 5
              contest for a 16-6 victory, he was a disaster in losses the following weeks at
              Carolina and Arizona.

Bulger's importance to the team was painfully underscored in those defeats.
              Just as eye-catching was how he played once he returned. In the Rams' final two
              regular-season games of the 2004, plus their two playoff contests, Bulger
              completed 67.6 percent of his passes for 1,287 yards, with eight touchdowns,
              four interceptions and a stellar passer rating of 106.3.

According to wide receiver Isaac Bruce, that has led to a greater air of
              confidence in Bulger this training camp and preseason.

"I think he realizes what he means to this team, and what he means to this
              offense now," Bruce said. "That was very evident when he went down last year
              vs. the ***** here at home, and we missed him for those two games. Things
              didn't go as well as they should have when he was in there. I believe just
              having him in the offense makes everything a whole lot smoother."

This preseason, Bulger and the entire starting offense looked scraggly in
              limited duty in the opener against Chicago. But against San Diego and Detroit,
              Bulger was on fire. In those two games, he completed 74.2 percent of his passes
              for 348 yards with three TDs, two interceptions, and a passer rating of 110.1.

No wonder coach Mike Martz, when asked about Bulger's play this preseason,
              said: "I think he's probably pretty close to where he was when last season
              ended, to be honest with...
              -09-08-2005, 05:11 AM
            • RamWraith
              Bulger was hit in head by football
              by RamWraith
              By Jim Thomas and Bill Coats
              ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
              Thursday, Dec. 20 2007

Chalk this one up in the category of believe it or not. ...

Rams quarterback Marc Bulger’s return from a concussion received a setback two
              weeks ago during practice when he was struck on the head by a football. It
              happened during a portion of practice that is closed to the media by coach
              Scott Linehan.

But team sources said Bulger was struck with an errant throw by a teammate —
              not a quarterback. The ball traveled 30 to 40 yards before hitting Bulger, who
              wasn’t wearing a helmet.

The incident occurred during preparations for the team’s game Dec. 2 against
              Atlanta. Because he had suffered the concussion the week before vs. Seattle,
              Bulger wasn’t going to play against the Falcons anyway. But the accident may
              have affected his ability to be ready for the Dec. 9 game in Cincinnati.

Team sources said the blow definitely delayed Bulger’s recovery time.

It was just the latest in a series of bizarre injuries, or injury-related
              incidents, for the Rams this season:

• Tackle Orlando Pace’s shoulder injury came on what looked like a routine
              “punch” move in the season opener against Carolina.

• Cornerback Tye Hill missed four early-season games because of a back injury
              caused by a practice collision with safety Oshiomogho “O.J.” Atogwe.

• Tight end Aaron Walker suffered a season-ending shoulder injury in November
              striking a blocking bag during a special-teams period.

After missing two games with the concussion, Bulger returned Sunday against
              Green Bay and will start tonight against his hometown team, the Pittsburgh
              Steelers.
              -12-20-2007, 06:03 AM
            Working...
            X