Ram, Saints feud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram, Saints feud

A great article that expresses my sentiments about the greatest divisional rivalry of the last two season this side of Raiders/Broncos.

http://www.nolalive.com/saints/t-p/i.../deshaz25.html

Rams, Saints have developed nasty feud fast

10/25/01

By John DeShazier
    Staff writer/The Times-Picayune

After the bell rang to signal the end of the third and final showdown, one contender lamented that the decision would've been different if time hadn't run out, while the other suggested that two knockdowns equals a knockout.

That's about what you'd expect when it's clear each team would rather swim naked with piranha than face up to a loss.

It's a kind of spirited, deep-down dislike that rears its head only on occasion in the NFL. Sunday, when the Saints and Rams mix it up in St. Louis, will be one of those times.

"(Saints coach) Jim (Haslett) and I are very competitive people," Rams coach Mike Martz said. "Whenever you play another good team within the division like that, it's gonna be hot."

Not just hot. Lava hot.

The kind of bitterness that usually takes years to develop blossomed in one for the Saints and Rams. Last year the Saints won two of three games between the teams en route to ending St. Louis' reign as division and Super Bowl champs. The clincher came in the Superdome, a 31-28 thrilling Saints victory in a wild-card game.

Amid the three scrums (the Saints won the first 31-24 in St. Louis; the Rams the second 26-21 in New Orleans) there was enough trash talk, big hits and cheap shots to give each a healthy respect for the other.

But, certainly, there is no love.

From the Rams' view, a snot-nosed upstart had the audacity to challenge and prance without possessing any bona fide claim to supremacy. From New Orleans' corner, each Saints victory was downplayed by the Rams, attributed to internal breakdowns rather than a superior opponent.

For the rest of us . . . hey, sit back and enjoy it. These kinds of passionate bouts don't appear every week.

These are the games worth watching, even though the Saints (3-2) are sputtering, the Rams (6-0) are surging and a St. Louis victory could do irreparable damage to the Saints' hopes of defending their NFC West crown.

Circumstances don't figure to mean much once heads start cracking Sunday.

"Look at the games last year," said linebacker Charlie Clemons, who helped the Rams win Super Bowl XXXIV, before a Saints-Rams rivalry existed, and moved to the Saints as a free-agent pickup last year.

"I think they felt we were one of the teams they could just beat up," Clemons said. "We went in there, and I think we just took their hearts. With that, I think you develop a bitterness."

Consider it fully developed, aided by differences -- erroneous perceptions or facts -- that run from top to bottom.

Martz is seen as an offensive whiz. Haslett earned his skins as a defensive mastermind. St. Louis has been labeled a "finesse," white-gloved team. The Saints fancy themselves a physical, dirt-under-the-nails group.

Opposites, in this case, do not attract.

"I think part of it was Haslett was a first-year head coach (last season)," said Rams linebacker Mark Fields, a Saint from 1995 to 2000. "You want to do well, and we had some success. The way they were so potent on offense, and he's a defensive coach, he wanted to shut that down."

"I think it's a competition thing (with Haslett)," Martz said of the joust between head coaches. "Two highly competitive people.

"I met Jim in Chicago at one of the coaching seminars. We sat down and had lunch, and he's a good guy. But when two teams are good, competition changes things."

Sometimes they reach a boiling point, like when Rams running back Marshall Faulk slugged Saints cornerback Kevin Mathis during St. Louis' victory because Faulk surmised the Saints had been a little too saucy on a takedown.

"Now that we've beaten them twice, we've got the belt now," Mathis said. "They want it back."

The Round 1 bell is set for noon Sunday. Blows to commence immediately after.

Great article. I will be in New Orleans for the Monday night game, my wife loves the city. It will be interesting being a Rams fan in the superdome considering the rivalry. Especially if the division isn't locked up.

Comment

Originally posted by RAMble On
      Great article. I will be in New Orleans for the Monday night game, my wife loves the city. It will be interesting being a Rams fan in the superdome considering the rivalry. Especially if the division isn't locked up.
      Me too!

That's kinda close to our anniversery also, so we're making a weekend out of it.

Let's try to hook up before the game at the Gridiron or something.

Comment

Sweet!

I still havn't got the game tickets, any advice? Plane tickets and hotel are taken care of.

I understand Christmas in New Orleans is awesome. We were there a couple years ago for a week and had a great time.

Pat O's, Antiones, Pat O's, Preservation Hall, Pat O's, Cafe DuMonde, Pat O's

Comment

This article has been posted before, it is a great article. :p

Comment

Sorry to Saint Nick for locking the thread, I though I had posted this in the articles section but never. :mask:

Comment

I will also be at the MNF game.

And I'll be looking for you in the Gridiron before the game!!!
              (Hi Santa!)

Comment

Sweet!

I still havn't got the game tickets, any advice?
                Do you mean getting the tix...or seating?

One thing I'm gonna do is show my wife the Copeland Mansion. They should have the place decked out for Christmas by that weekend and it's a chance to show her one of my fondest memories growing up. It's been eleven years since I've been.

Comment

Seating mainly. Is it worth it to pay the extra $ to sit below the 500 numbers?

How are the seats in the 600 sections?

Is the Copeland Mansion in the Quarter? It sounds cool.

Comment

Seating mainly. Is it worth it to pay the extra $ to sit below the 500 numbers?

How are the seats in the 600 sections?

Is the Copeland Mansion in the Quarter? It sounds cool.
                    Sorry it took so long to get back...I was forced to live life away from the computer for a while. It sucked. I'm back.

I think it's worth the extra money to sit lower. The concessions are better. The restrooms are a little closer...important if you bring any kids. But that should be such a big game, being anywhere in the Dome is a MUST.

The Copeland Mansion isn't in the Quarter, but it's been so long since I've been that I've gotta get some directions.

Here's a link you might want to check out:

http://www.yatcom.com/neworl/lifesty...as/topten.html

Comment

Thanks Saint Nick. I appreciate the info.

We are leaving the kids at home. My oldest is 2 1/2. She watches the games with us and says "Go Kurt Warner and YEA baby!"

Actually it sounds like "Go Kurt Worney".

Take it easy. Don't get too pissed when your team loses this week.;)

Comment

Thanks Saint Nick. I appreciate the info.
                        I have a 10 year old boy who's a Broncos fan

(WHERE DID I GO WRONG?)

Hey, if a kid's gotta be a fan of NFL players, Warner's a good one. He's a class guy and we won't have to read about him at the Gold Club or doing really cheesy Coors commercials.

And I won't get too mad IF the Saints lose to the Rams. Clearly, they're the most dominant team in the league right now, playing them in their house, etc. I'll be alright with a competitive loss this go-round.

But should the Saints win... :p

Comment

IF the Saints win.... I am sure we will be hearing quite a lot from everyone over at the WHODATZONE.

My kids would be evicted if they rooted for anyone but the Rams. I would have to disown them if they rooted for the hated niners!
                          Last edited by RAMble On; -10-26-2001, 10:24 AM.

Comment

I don't think it is that big of a rivalry. So last year was exciting, that has really been it. I feel our rivalries are with the Whiners and Bucs. Not at all even starting to consider the Saints as even potential rivals. Win something significant and maybe I will start seeing a glimmer of a rivalry.

Comment

Most fans I have spoken with have never considered the aints Rams thing a rivalry.

Last year changed some people and building on that, this year has been good so far ---- concidering we still have not played them yet :rolleyes:

Its a shame that it won't develope in to the same full blown hate we have for the whiners.

PS. you can always tell a bandwaggon Ram fan.

Ask them if they hate the whiners, all the new ones have no real hate there. ;)

Still, anyone know when we will see the aints after this year ??

what is the rotation on the schedule :mask:

__________________________________________________________
                              Keeping the Rams Nation Talking

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• megas711
                                The Saints losses
                                by megas711
                                Was hurricane Katrina just an excuse for the Saints terrible performance last year?
                                -02-27-2006, 04:28 PM
                              • MauiRam
                                Rams will face a rejuvenated Saints team ..
                                by MauiRam
                                BY JIM THOMAS Thursday, December 9, 2010 12:10 am

Your offseason's a month shorter than most since you've been playing all the way into early February. And once the new season begins, there's a bull's-eye on your chest, because 31 other teams want to get where you've been.

"We talked so much about that coming into the season," Saints quarterback Drew Brees said. "Everybody wants to accomplish what you accomplished less than a year ago. I think we knew coming into the season that we were going to get everybody's best performance, and that everybody would mark us on the calendar as kind of the team to beat until you prove otherwise."

For the first couple of months of this season the Saints sure looked a little groggy. In 2009, the Saints started 13-0 en route to a 31-17 victory over Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts in Super Bowl XLIV.

This season, the Saints lurched out to a 4-3 start that included losses to a couple of less-than-stellar foes in Arizona and Cleveland. By New Orleans standards, the league's most dynamic offense of a year ago had to huff-and-puff its way to points.

But just in time for the Rams, Sunday's opponent in the Louisiana Superdome, the Saints have started humming on offense. The Saints (9-3) have won five consecutive games, and during the last four victories have averaged 33 points. (They averaged a modest 21 points in their first eight contests.)

"We're running the ball a little bit more effectively than maybe earlier in the season and that's been a point of emphasis for us," coach Sean Payton said. "I think that's helped us."

Actually, the Saints have run it a lot more effectively. Through eight games, New Orleans averaged 84.8 yards per game and 3.6 yards per carry on the ground. Over the last four contests? Try 126 yards per game and 4.8 yards a carry.

This has happened even though Pierre Thomas has been sidelined since suffering an ankle injury in Game 3 against Atlanta. The University of Illinois product was full participation in Wednesday's practice and is expected to return against the Rams. Reggie Bush missed eight games with a fractured fibula. Since returning on Thanksgiving against Dallas, he has only 10 touches in two games.

The player who has rescued the Saints' running game is unheralded Chris Ivory, an undrafted rookie from Tiffin (Ohio) University. When it was mentioned during a conference call that not many people had heard of Ivory, Brees quipped: "I hadn't heard of him either."

Saints opponents are learning about him the hard way. Ivory has rushed for 636 yards and is averaging a robust 5.2 yards a carry. He is coming off a 117-yard, two-touchdown outing against Cincinnati.

"He's doing great," Brees said. "Just a guy, and we have a lot of these guys, the undrafted...
                                -12-09-2010, 12:42 AM
                              • FirebirdRamsam
                                The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
                                by FirebirdRamsam
                                The good.......there was very little in the saints game.
                                The bad.........there was alot!!!
                                The Ugly........ditto!!!

I was kind of afraid that the saints were going to pull off a victory. If anyone read my last post which read: Will the saints go marching on. It talks about a possibility of them having our number. For some reason the team plays with added intense due to their coach and team mates being fired up since we have been ex-superbowl winners who have won with bull **** flee flickers and screens and fancy plays. The saints coach seems to think that we are a bunch of crap players with crappy non-football plays.

Truth is, the Rams beat the Rams fair and square!!! We lost the game due to silly penaltys, fumbles, interceptions, costly errors, un-special teams, blown plays and a missed field goal. If we played error free football or at least hanged on to the ball without giving it away with our fumbles and interceptions, we would have won yet as murphy's law plays out so many sundays, it was a game of 'what can go wrong will go wrong' and to think that the Rams are exempt from murphys law is wrong! It was bound to happen and I say good, why?

Well, lets just say that the next time we play the saints on their turf, it will be a different game. We should learn from our mistakes and hopefully on the next meeting, we will be playing with a healthy Faulk, and fumbleless game, a zero interception, a game plan that will have many flee flickers, trick plays so that it will inferiate the saints coach and perhaps a few on side kicks to boot ;-). I think that the Rams have learned a valuable experience of this loss and that if they can bounce back and play with added aggression due to this loss, perhaps this will propel them into the nfc playoffs.

This game against the saints truely was a horror film for the players as well as the fans and we didn't even get to see georgia for her halloween yearly appearance :mask: , darn!!! I believe that we see the saints mid december again. I will hope that we will bring with us a more intense game plan and an error free game in the georgia dome so that it can erase this bad taste that this last game left. And I hope that Martz will remember what the saint's coach said about the Rams and their so called plays so that he can fire up the team to seek revenge. I honestly don't think that the saints coach should be talking smack until he takes his team to the big dance and wins the big one! Rememeber, we walked the walk and can talk the talk since we are a past victorious superbowl team.

We now have a 'bye' week to rest, gather our thoughts and hopefully allow Faulk to return with 100% healed on his knee.
                                I predict a victory againt Carolina after the return from the bye week yet I will go out on a limb and predict.......no.....wait........
                                I guarantee a victory (IE: Joe Namath/broadway Joe) against the...
                                -10-29-2001, 06:45 PM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Round Two: Saints Marching In...Any Chance For Rams?
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                11.09.2009 1:53 pm
                                Saints marching in … any chance for Rams?
                                By Roger Hensley

THE WATERCOOLER

QUESTION: If the Rams are to have any chance against the 8-0 New Orleans Saints this weekend, what are the keys to the game plan?

JIM THOMAS
                                1. Ball control on offense, the Saints are a modest 19th in run defense.
                                2. Takeaways on defense, easier said than done against Drew Brees.
                                3. Something special on special teams, be it long returns, blocked kicks, etc.

This is a challenge similar to what the Rams faced against Minnesota and Indianapolis — but New Orleans may be the most high-powered offense of the three.

JEFF GORDON
                                If the Rams can consistently throw the ball downfield to balance their offense, maintain time of possession and finish off scoring drives, they can stay in the game. But apparently this is an impossible task for this offense, so the Rams are doomed to a blowout loss. Even if the Saints turn the ball over again and again, they will win this game unless the Rams used their bye week to reinvent their offense.

BRYAN BURWELL
                                After seeing Carolina run up and down the field against the Saints, the run-oriented Rams certainly have a chance. If the Rams can stick to a Steven Jackson rushing attack and keep Drew Brees off the field, the home crowd could become a huge factor.

KEVIN WHEELER (Host of “Sports Open Line” on KMOX)
                                Call Tonya Harding and ask for some advice on how to “handle” competition? Lock the doors of the Dome just before the Saints arrive and lose the keys?

Sorry. Couldn’t resist. Seriously, there is no way this game is competitive. None. The Saints are the highest-scoring team in the league averaging 38 points per game and the Rams are the lowest-scoring team in the league at just over 9 points per game. Heck, the Saints are 59 points better than the next highest-scoring team this season (Minnesota). The Rams have scored a total of 77 points as a point of reference.

But wait, there’s more. The Saints are +129 when points scored are compared to points allowed and the Rams are -144. That’s a 273 point difference between these two teams over eight games. That’s a 34-point-per-game difference in case you were wondering.

There is nothing the Rams can do to be competitive in this game. Nothing legal anyway.
                                -11-09-2009, 08:28 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                True Birth of a Rivalry
                                by RamWraith
                                Wednesday, September 22, 2004

By Nick Wagoner
                                Staff Writer

By most accounts, the rivalry between the Rams and Saints doesn’t date too far. Sure, the teams first met on Sept. 17, 1967 in New Orleans’ first game, a game the Rams won 27-13. They also squared off in the Rams’ first home game in St. Louis, with the Rams winning 17-13 at Busch Stadium.

Historical firsts and perspectives aside, though, this rivalry never quite had the heat of a Raiders-Chiefs or Packers-Bears matchup. Never, that is, until about 33 years after the teams first met.

It was Nov. 26, 2000, to be exact. That day, the potential for a major rivalry emerged. Little did any of the fans passing through the gates of the now Edward Jones Dome know that they were witnessing the beginning of one of the league’s most heated rivalries. There was little doubt after the first meeting that the blood was about to boil.

New Orleans drew first blood, winning a 31-24 decision in St. Louis. Beating the high-powered Rams on their home turf, a year after they won the Super Bowl was a big blow. This was only the beginning, though, of a five-game series that could be one of the most intense in the history of the league.

The Saints wasted no time in making their presence felt. Coach Jim Haslett called for an onside kick to open the game. The play could have given the Rams excellent field position to start, but the call worked and New Orleans recovered.

Aaron Brooks, New Orleans’ quarterback seeing his first significant playing time as a pro, engineered the victory in his first career start. He threw for 190 yards and a touchdown and ran for 34 yards and a pair of touchdowns. His performance served as a statement that the Saints were ready to emerge as a legitimate contender in the NFC.

New Orleans appeared ready to blowout the Rams, holding a 24-10 third quarter lead. Any person who remembers that St. Louis team remembers that no lead was safe against the Rams’ offense. Trent Green, starting in place of Kurt Warner, who broke a finger against Kansas City in game seven, led a pair of late drives to tie it at 24 with 11:06 to play.

Green hit Az-Zahir Hakim for a 35-yard touchdown and later Ricky Proehl for a 19-yard score. Those two scores set up Brooks’ heroics. He took the Saints on an 85-yard, game-winning drive, aided by a 47-yard pass interference call against Rams’ cornerback Todd Lyght. Brooks capped the drive with a 1-yard touchdown run. Doug Brien’s extra point gave New Orleans the final margin.

The loss was the Rams’ third straight at home and put their playoff hopes in serious trouble, dropping them to 8-4. The Saints improved to 8-4, good for a tie with St. Louis atop the division.

New Orleans’ win propelled it toward the playoffs, but after the game, the first verbal shots of the burgeoning rivalry were fired. Rams’...
                                -09-23-2004, 10:08 AM
                              Working...
                              X