The Optimists Have NOT Joined The Naysayers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Optimists Have NOT Joined The Naysayers

The Naysayers are gloating. They believe that they have been vindicated. They believe that the optimists have joined their ranks.

They are wrong.

First of all, what kind of a Ram fan gloats over a loss? A loss should be a BAD THING for all Ram things. However, there are some who's pleasure in saying "I told you so" outweighs any upset they may have over "their team" having lost a game.

The Naysayers believe that they "knew this was going to happen." They didn't. I've always been an optimist. At the start of 1999, I was optimistic. But I didn't KNOW that the Rams were going to win it all. Heck, I didn't even KNOW that they would make the playoffs. I hoped they would, and my hopes were fulfilled. Similarly, on some level, the Naysayers HOPED the Rams would fail, and their hopes have been vindicated thus far.

Finally, while the Optimists may be down, and may have resigned themselves to the fact that the team is not going to fulfill their hopes this year, they... or perhaps I should say WE have not joined the ranks of the naysayers.

In a nutshell, here's the difference:

NAYSAYERS speak of failure in the face of an uncertain future, then hope for the worst.

OPTIMISTS speak of failure only in the face of failure, and still hope for the best.

Enjoy yourselves, Naysayers. Your day has come.

We Optimists will continue to hope for a better day.

Re: The Optimists Have NOT Joined The Naysayers

didn't know there was a contest on...

Comment

And then there are the realists, like those that wonder why the team has close to double digit ridiculous drive/momentum killing penalties almost every week, and wonder why the team seems unprepared for the opponent on a weekly basis.

Why not rip those people too?
      Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Comment

Hey, I might be out on a deserted island here, but honestly if we don't make the playoffs it won't kill me. Why? We need an infusion of talent. We are just good enough for a playoff team but not good enough to go deep into the playoffs. We need some young talent early in the draft to shore up some weak spots. We keep drafting late every year, of course we are going to regress. It's the salary cap nature of balance.

Comment

I'm not really as bothered by it, but I do find it interesting how some people remain silent until the Rams lose, and then start posting about how they'd been calling it for a long time and how blind everyone was.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSeiler
            I'm not really as bothered by it, but I do find it interesting how some people remain silent until the Rams lose, and then start posting about how they'd been calling it for a long time and how blind everyone was.
            Exactly.

You know, you can say "I'm going to flip a coin and I KNOW it will come up heads." But even if it does, in fact, come up heads, you didn't KNOW it would, you just happened to be right that time.

Comment

THis has been a common refrain of yours avenger. People might analyse the match ups and see glaring weaknesses waiting to be exploited and when they make a prediction based on these weaknesses you compare it to the toss of a coin. Personally, I don't see it that way, but I know that there is no point of trying to discuss this matter. That is your opinion and that's fine.

I find this thread in conjunction with your poll on "what is the rams biggest problem" interesting. You chide those who see problems with this team and correctly predict the outcomes of games as a result of these weaknesses (yes I've missed more than my share) yet you correctly identified that the team is lacking talent in key areas. Despite recognizing this you continue to predict the rams to win games. That's great, I have no problem with that and if I did I wouldn't criticize you for doing it. Perhaps, I place too much emphasis on these problems and perhaps you don't place enough.

I agree with Tx on this one. I feel no anger about the rams losing right now, nor do I feel the joy that you imply. It just comes with the territory. The salary cap makes it difficult to stay on top for long. THe rams have chosen to keep some expensive skilled players at the expense of some other areas. If they had let holt, bruce, faulk or little go I doubt the rams would be any better. We'll just have to hope that the draft and FA bring us some decent o-line and secondary help.

I was encouraged by D-lew's play yesterday.
              Last edited by radjohns; -11-08-2004, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Be honest, radjohns... how many posts have you made this season that did not either (1) predict doom and gloom, or (2) pat yourself on the back when one of your predictions came true?

My posts, as you correctly point out, are balanced. I have no problem talking about the team's problems or weaknesses, but I also express optimism.

You, and others, seem to run here after each loss and post some sort of "I told you so" post. You have every right to be that kind of fan, and I have every right to say that I don't understand why anyone would wish to be that way.

Comment

Originally posted by txramsfan
                  Hey, I might be out on a deserted island here, but honestly if we don't make the playoffs it won't kill me. Why? We need an infusion of talent. We are just good enough for a playoff team but not good enough to go deep into the playoffs. We need some young talent early in the draft to shore up some weak spots. We keep drafting late every year, of course we are going to regress. It's the salary cap nature of balance.
                  Didn't we just do that a couple of years ago? Weren't Butler and Fisher by-products of missing the playoffs? Just getting draft position isn't going to make a difference until personnel evaluation and scouting practices change. Add Arch to the list of home-grown skunk like Pickett and the CBs

Comment

Originally posted by NickSeiler
                    I used to post here more often until people started complaining about all the negativity. I wasn't even going to post anything last night until I started reading all these posts by the RoseColoredGlasses club having finally realized that we aren't a SB team this year.

And to Avenger, no I am not happy that the Rams lost. I would rather be wrong and the team wins, than be right when the team loses. Unfortunately there are several on this board that will tell anyone that is realistic or even negative to shut up or go away.
                    This space for rent...

Comment

Fisher has played well despite his injury. Pickett and DLew are finally playing up to their potential. I have no problem with the front four.

And you are right Adarian, but we just can't keep thinking that our offense is going to get us into the playoffs just because we have Faulk, Holt and Bruce. We need solid defensive infusion again. So what if we did it a few years ago? Who cares? We need to do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by txramsfan
                        We need solid defensive infusion again. So what if we did it a few years ago? Who cares? We need to do it again.
                        Did you see the movie Groundhog Day? That's why I care. Not because I like groundhogs, but because I don't want to keep going around in circles.

Comment

"...They say our love won't pay the rent, before its earned, our money's always spent..."

Comment

Naysayer?? Nope. Hater of the BUMBLING FOOL who continues to lead this club down the path of SQUANDERED OPPORTUNITY....HELL YES!! The guy took the number ONE offense and the number THREE defense to the super bowl and was simply OUTCOACHED!! They will NEVER field a more balanced club than that one. The glory days are long gone and the downward spiral is in full tilt. The Larry Marmie hiring was the EPITOME OF ARROGANT IGNORANCE! Every day with this clown at the helm is a day WASTED by this franchise...another day in the WRONG DIRECTION. Marmie and the MORON who lobbied for him to be brought in need to go...YESTERDAY. BTW...anyone notice how the Cards defense has IMPROVED this year?? What a coincidence.
                            "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Comment

I don't look at my predicitons as doom and gloom. I don't attach any commentary like "oh this terrible team will lose again," I merely post what I feel the final score will be. I can assure that my obvious pride in my correct prognostications is nothing more than me trying to salvage something positive out of three hours of watching my team lose. Like I said, I am not happy when the rams lose, I've just accepted where they are at this stage in the journey. Up to two weeks ago my partner would laugh at me if I said that I have no anger about this team. She refuses to be in the house with me when the games are on, although she worries about my health.

I don't think that I'm a doom and gloomer. I'm sure if you cared to search you will not find a single post where I bash a ram player or coach, nor a fellow poster for that matter. I don't understand why this is so upsetting to some people. We obviously all have different views on the state of the rams. Or, it is more accurate to say that we have different ways of expressing our views on the rams. Such is life.

Comment