More Defensive thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Defensive thoughts

There's been a lot of talk about personnel changes required on Defence and additionally some others have highlighted the salary cap restrictions.Personally I think we will be making a big mistake if we make huge FA investments this off-season i.e. we mortgage ourselves on the assumption that bringing in new talent will change things around (this has been proven not to be the case thus far). At the end of the day we have the talent on Defense i.e. we are piled with high draft picks.. Sense would say that the problem lies elsewhere.

I'd like to see the personell we have stay static for a year and a new system brought in along with a proven DC and hope that the draft yields a few pleasant surprises (mainly DB). I'd even venture to say that:
    - we resign Polley and give him another chance under new management
    - we concentrate on Offense in the draft (with exception of a high pick DB). i.e. there are still talent gaps on OL and TE.
    Also, I have a feeling Trev Faulk he could develop into our monster MLB under the right scheme/situation and guidance.. So why not give him the chance to do so.

Re: More Defensive thoughts

just adding to that..... we have to remember that we don't need to be a top 5 defense... a top 10 will probably do us to make it to the sb.

Comment

I think the Rams need two elements on the defense to really turn it around.

1. An impact LB. My preference would be a MLB, though a dynamic, playmaking OLB could work too.

2. Either (a) a true shutdown CB; or (b) a top-line FS. Unfortunately, Aeneas has slowed down and is no longer the playmaker he was. Next year, he will be 37.

They may also need another pass rusher if LL is behind bars next season.

Comment

Next year, he will be 37.
        So what are you trying to say AV? I'll be 37 next year too. :upset:

I just can't believe that with Chillar, Faulk, Thomas, Polley, and Pisa we continue to allow 100 yard rushers, and TE's have had thier way.

I strongly believe that Marmie has no clue how to properly use the talent he has.
        JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS
        :ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram:

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
        Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Comment

I'm sorry RamMan, but you're cut.

Comment

Originally posted by RAMMAN68
            So what are you trying to say AV? I'll be 37 next year too. :upset:
            Me too... about a week before Aeneas.

Comment

Originally posted by elAcky
              At the end of the day we have the talent on Defense i.e. we are piled with high draft picks.. Sense would say that the problem lies elsewhere.
              I'm not disagreeing wth the point you're making, but for every high draft pick that becomes a good player, you could probably name two or three that don't. Saying we have talent and supporting that claim by saying we have a lot of players who went high in the draft isn't a great connection. Although it does appear as if Damione Lewis is finally coming around and playing well. But what about someone like Robert Thomas? He's not even a starter any more.

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam
                They may also need another pass rusher if LL is behind bars next season.
                Is it at all realistic to think that Hargrove could make the switch, do you think?

Comment

what about someone like Robert Thomas? He's not even a starter any more.
                  thats the point... one year ago we all thought he would turn out ok,,, i.e. at the start of the year everyone had good vibes about the D... a player doesn't suddenly lose the talent... there is something else at play.. same can be said for arch and butler... something has happened this year but make no mistake about it... there is talent there

Comment

Originally posted by NickSeiler
                    Is it at all realistic to think that Hargrove could make the switch, do you think?
                    I think that Hargrove and Fisher could be effective as starting DEs, but if LL was gone, the Rams would still need another DE/pass rusher for depth, as Flowers (unproven) and Jackson (getting old) would not be enough.

Comment

Agreed, but if Hargrove can flop to the LDE spot and be at least an adequate pass rusher, we wouldn't need to spend a first round pick to acquire one.

Comment

I agree with that. I think Hargrove and Fisher could be the starters, and the Rams could probably find a player in the 3rd or 4th round who is "undersized," and not rated as a starter, but a good situational pass rusher.

Comment

Hopefully Hargrove continues to develop then so we won't have to devote a first round pick to a pass rushing DE. We already have enough needs as it is. Don't need to complicate the situation by adding a DE in there, too.

Comment

So what are your thoughts on the secondary?
                            I can't believe that Arch has all of a sudden forgoten how to play. AW maybe getting older, but I can't see him loosing it overnight.

We difinatelly need a shut down CB, (at least 6'-200lbs) and a solid Vet FS.
                            JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS
                            :ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram:

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
                            Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Comment

widgetinstance 232 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X