• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martz on the Mike

Head Coach Mike Martz
    Wednesday, November 10, 2004

(On CB Travis Fisher)
    “He got them fixed (his teeth). I think he got braces, and I think they wired it together. He’s fine. He can play, and he can practice. He’s in pain obviously, but there’s nothing wrong with his legs.”

(On T Scott Tercero)
    “He’s got that shoulder issue that just pops out a little bit, actually a lot. He just continues to play. But he’s okay. You kind of have to probably keep him at a guard because it’s better suited for that shoulder than at tackle.”

(On the NFC race being within a game or two of each other)
    “They understand that, and we’ve talked about that. It’s way past that at this point; I’m not worried about that. I’m not happy with how we’re playing period, regardless of a division race or anything else. I think the way we’ve played in the last two games is embarrassing. Not so much whether you win or lose a game, just the way we play the game period. We’re going to do everything we can to rectify that.”

(On if practice will be different)
    “I don’t know. That’s family business. What we do in practice, and how we change things is something I normally don’t talk about.”

(On getting energized by looking at the Seattle tape from last game)
    “I don’t need to look at a tape to get energized. Not me. I don’t have to look at a tape to go to a happy place to get energized. That’s just not who I am.”

(On the offensive line)
    “We made our corrections. That is the exception to the rule with that group. I’ve been very pleased with that group overall most of the year. That was not one of our better performances. I wouldn’t single them out. I think as a football team we haven’t played well, period, and we haven’t coached well obviously. Otherwise we would play better. We can do something about all of those things.”

(On any personnel changes)
    “Right now there isn’t any significant. We’ll see as the week goes on though.”

(On doing something different in practice to get the intensity level up)
    “I would expect us to come out and compete better, as a football team. We have a core of guys that you can hang your hat on. You can get them up in the middle of the night and go out and practice them, and you can get all they’ve got. Now what we’re trying to do is to get them to get the rest of the guys up to that level. We were there for awhile, and we’ve fallen off a little bit in a couple of key areas. This is not about ability, never has been and never will be. Everybody in this league has the ability to play. Everybody is talented, everybody fast, everybody is big, and everybody is strong. If you think that is the difference, then you’re sorely mistaken. This is purely a game of attitude.”

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
    Martz shifts from mad to furious
    by RamWraith
    BY JEFF GORDON
    Post-Dispatch Online Sports Columnist
    11/10/2004
    Mike Martz was ticked off Sunday evening after his team lost to the New England Patriots.

He was still upset Monday afternoon when he broke down the game for reporters.

And he was absolutely furious this afternoon before taking his team back onto the practice field.

We’ve never seen Mike carry on like this at a news conference before. He became more and more agitated during his brief exchange with reporters.

“I’m not happy with how we’re playing, period, regardless of a division race or anything else,” he said. “I think the way we played the last two games was embarrassing. Not so much whether we win or lose the game, just the way we played the game, period. We’re going to do everything we can to rectify that.”

Can he go back to tape of the earlier Seattle victory and become energized by that?

“I don’t need to look at tape to get energized. Not me. I don’t have to look at a tape to go to a happy place, to get energized. That’s just not who I am, sorry.”

How did he assess the offensive line play after breaking down the tape?

“We made our corrections,” he said. “That was unusual. That is the exception to the rule with that group. I’ve been very pleased with that group overall most of the year. That was not one of our better performances, but I wouldn’t single them out.

“As a football team, we haven’t played well, period. We haven’t coached well, obviously, otherwise we’d play better. We can do something about all those things.”

Geez, Mike, you haven’t been like this since becoming head coach. How did it come to this?

“What difference does it make?

“I know what the problem is. I do know how to resolve it. I’m going to see if we can get it done.”

Will change come by doing things differently in practice; by saying different things to the team?

“I would expect us to come out and compete better. That’s what I would expect, as a football team. We have a core of guys that you can hang your hat on. You can get up in the middle of the night and go out and practice them and they will give you all they got.

“Now what we’re trying to do is get the rest of the guys up to that level. We were there for a while and we’ve fallen off a bit in a couple of key areas. This is about attitude, pure and simple.

“It’s not about ability. It never has been, never will be. Everybody in this league has the ability to play. Everybody is talented, everybody is fast, everybody is big, everybody is strong. If you think that’s the difference, you’re sorely mistaken. This is purely a game of attitude.”

Have any of the veteran players spoken up to the younger players?

“We don’t hold hands, get in a stance and sing Kumbaya My...
    -11-11-2004, 05:47 AM
  • RamWraith
    The Quote Sheet - Wednesday
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Scott Linehan
    September 27, 2006

(Opening statement) “Pretty good shape on the injury front. Orlando [Pace] did not participate much today in practice. He was out there. Didn’t feel great the last couple of days. Precaution is with these things is to go pretty slow, so we just kept him out. He probably felt pretty much like he did last week. That’s part of the evaluation with these things. We’ll evaluate him day to day here as we get closer to the game.”

(On Pace’s condition) “I’m not sure you’d say it was nausea, but he said his head’s not quite right. He just doesn’t feel quite right so we’ve got to be a little bit cautious with him, as we have been, but kind of do it day by day.”

(On when Pace will be evaluated) “I think every day we’re going to evaluate him. Evaluate him today, see how he feels after a full day at work, and do it again tomorrow. From what I understand, the evaluation process is part on how you feel and the other on how you may to respond to questions. The post-concussion syndrome is something that goes on and on and on for weeks so we’ll just keep an eye on him.”

(On if Pace took any blows to the head in Arizona’s game) “Not that he felt or we noticed, so it wasn’t anything like that. I think it’s just…he came back pretty quickly. He wouldn’t have been cleared had he not passed all the tests, but I think he’s still got to go through some of the residuals from that.”

(On if there’s a possibility of Pace sitting out against Detroit) “He could. I think it could go on for a while now. That would be a consideration if it got worse.”

(On if Pace should have sat out against Arizona) “Not from what I understand, because had felt this way as the week went out, he certainly wouldn’t have played. He improved so much that he was cleared to go. I’m not sure that sitting would have made him feel any better now. He said he started feeling worse as the week went on. That’s why we really evaluate it up until game time.”

(On his thoughts about the offensive line) “You’ve got to start with Richie [Incognito] because he started his first game as our left guard, and then, boom, he’s right over there at the center spot, and hadn’t really done it. I think he’s done a heck of a job making that move. We had a little bit of an idea that he could do it but you’ve still got to go into the games…I think he’s played very well there. Todd [Steussie] has been in the league so long, he understands how to play the position, even though he’s more comfortable at a tackle spot, he’s able to go in and function very well at the guard spot. Our right side, with Alex [Barron] and Adam [Timmerman], that really hasn’t changed, and up until Orlando’s injury, he’s been there. I’ve been really happy with the fact that they’re adjusting. We worked a lot last week with Adam in there at the left guard spot and Todd out there at...
    -09-27-2006, 04:49 PM
  • RamWraith
    Martz on the Mike
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    Monday, September 6, 2004

(On T Orlando Pace being back at practice)
    “We’re all excited to have Orlando back, and I know he feels good about being back also. It’s a relief to have him here, we’re all just very pleased he’s here and we can get going.”

(On Orlando Pace’s physical condition)
    “He came into camp this year 16 pounds lighter than he did last year. He’s obviously trained very well, and he’s prepared himself to come to camp. Watching him out here at practice, he’s a little rusty with some things, but he’s a pretty unique individual.”

(On if four practices is enough to get Orlando Pace ready for the game)
    “I guess it will have to be. We haven’t changed what we do, the calls or terms or anything. Some of the things that we do, in terms of protection, he’s just has to get use to it. We’ve been doing the same thing all these years, it hasn’t changed, so it’s not like he just got here and is learning the offense.”

(On signing S Zack Bronson)
    “We’ve been interested in him for quite some time. We we’re interested last June and we’ve maintained our interest. Fortunately, Jay (Zygmunt) was able to get something done. He’s a veteran that’s played at a high level for a long time in our division. I’m excited about having him, I think he brings a great deal to us. Last year he had three injuries, and kind of struggled a little bit, but he’s healthy now. Up until that point, he played at a very high level. He’s a guy that is going to have to get back in shape also. Obviously, we’re not asking him to come in and start right now, but within a short period of time, I think he should be in the swing of things. He’s been here through the weekend, studying the playbook, he’s a sharp guy, and very professional. We’re happy to have him.

On if experience was necessary to bring in someone at this point of the season)
    “The experience is necessary. You can’t have too many young guys back there. These guys are back there making calls, and (Zack Bronson) has played and seen just about everything. With Zack, Aeneas (Williams), (Rich) Coady, and (Adam) Archuleta back there, you have four veteran safeties back there. And with young corners, that’s important.”

(On if carrying a lot of young players is now the norm in the NFL)
    “I think it is. Unfortunately, you can’t afford to hold on to some of these guys. You lose them and you need to replace them constantly. You try to keep, what you think, are the core players. It’s just the way the league is, and everybody is in the same boat.”

(On being pleased with the draft class so far)
    “I think (I’ve been pleased). There have been a couple surprises. Obviously Steven (Jackson) has made a very big impact in the preseason. Probably, better than I even anticipated. (Brandon) Chillar (and Jackson) have had the biggest impact, and the rest of those guys...
    -09-06-2004, 05:23 PM
  • RamWraith
    Vitts Monday Press Conference
    by RamWraith
    Interim Head Coach Joe Vitt
    Monday, December 26, 2005

(Opening statement)

“I feel the same now as I did after the game Saturday night. You can’t turn the ball over, and you can’t miss tackles the way we’re doing and expect to compete in the National Football League. The one thing that I do feel bad about, and I said it the other night, that I could do a better job at the half of managing the clock, managing the timeouts, and do a better job at the end of the game, whether go for it on fourth-down or kick a field goal. I think the thing that I feel worse about is that I have not been able to do anything to create anything for our football team to try to get over the edge, over the top. We have been in almost the exact same situation exactly two weeks in a row, where we miss a fourth down and we’re involved in a two-minute drill and there is an interception. It goes all the way back really three weeks to Minnesota, where in the redzone we go for a first-down on fourth-and-1, and don’t get that. And I’m probably trying to shove the situation down the players’ throat instead of taking what they give us and get points. And I feel bad about that. I haven’t done anything to help this football team get over the top. And we have a lot of guys battling, as I told you the injury report the other night, guys in the hospital the night before the game, guys hurt and taking injection to play, and I feel bad for them, I really do. But that being said, it’s no time to feel sorry for ourselves. We’re playing a nationally televised game Sunday night against a good football team, and we have to get our selves ready to, which we will.”

(On what his approach will be this last week to get the team ready to play)

“Like we have approached every other week; we haven’t changed one bit. You guys have been to practice; you’ve seen the tempo of practice, what’s expected of them in practice. We haven’t cut back any reps. The weight lifting schedule…everything’s the same. We prepare to win, and I have to do a better job of helping our guys win.”

(On whether he is satisfied with the professionalism of this team)

“Let me tell you something. I’m going to tell you exactly what I told the football team before the game. There is no place or no team that I would rather be right here and right now is with these people. Our players have fought. They have worked hard. They haven’t always been right; I haven’t always been right. But the respect that they have for the game, the competitiveness, their work habits on a daily basis, [and] their accountability has been outstanding. And I wish that I had done a better job of trying to get our football team over the top, by either making a big call or making the right judgment. But no, I feel the same way about this team right now as is did when I took this thing over. It has been an honor; it has been fun.”

(On...
    -12-26-2005, 04:13 PM
  • RamWraith
    Players and Coaches Quotes
    by RamWraith
    Players and Coaches Quotes from Oct. 13
    Thursday, October 13, 2005

Interim Head Coach Joe Vitt

(On the releasing of S Michael Hawthorne)

“Well it was decision that our organization made. I talked to him last night and brought him into the office. I appreciated the hard work that he did right here, and we’re going in a different direction.”

(On the players adjusting to Coach Martz absence)

“The players showed up this morning to go to work. We had good installation meetings. We had good walk throughs. We had a good, sharp practice today, and we’re preparing to win.”

(On whether any rules have been made for Coach Martz about how often he can call Rams Park)

“There should be, but there isn’t, and he is.”

(On how much Coach Vitt has heard from Coach Martz’s hospital room)

“He has no discipline at all.”

(On how often Coach Martz is calling)

“He’s just concerned, and he’s just checking in every once in a while.”

(On whether Coach Vitt expects a call from Coach Martz on Monday night)

“I expect we’ll probably get a call at halftime. I talked to him. He’s concerned about the football team and everybody around us. We told him, ‘hey, get your treatment, relax, [and] let the doctors get you better.’”

(On what is planned for the 53rd roster spot)

“We don’t want to discuss that right now. We have a plan in mind. We’ve discussed it, and we’re going to hold off to see how some of our players, health-wise, are at the end of the week.”

(On whether this is a ‘circle the wagons’ situation with Coach Martz out and facing the 5-0 Colts)

“Yeah, there is a lot that goes into it, but I don’t know about that circle the wagons stuff. Hey listen, we’re all paid to get a job done. Let’s show up to work, roll your sleeves up, put your hard hat on, be disciplined, pay attention, do what we’re asking you to do, and it’s going to work. If that’s circling the wagons, then that’s circling the wagons.”

(On how the defense corrects its mistakes of the last two games)

“Well, like we’re doing out here, you work hard. Work is going to win and wishing won’t. We have to be more detailed. We have to be more disciplined. We can’t make the mistakes that we’re making. We’re making undisciplined mistakes, and today we took a step right. We took a step forward today.”

T Alex Barron

(On Coach Martz having to step away from medical reasons)

“Coach Martz is pretty sick right now and has a lot of things going on. He had to follow doctor’s orders and do what he had to do.”

(On how he feels he is progressing)

“I’m coming along okay, just talking things week-by-week, trying to learn different things. I learn different...
    -10-14-2005, 04:28 AM
Working...
X