X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spagnuolo told wife: We're not talking to Harbaughs again

· Marc Sessler NFL.com
    · Published: Sept. 27, 2011 at 09:46 a.m

Three straight defeats for the Rams have been made worse for coach Steve Spagnuolo in that each drubbing was dished out by an old friend.

Coaches Andy Reid, Tom Coughlin and John Harbaugh -- all close associates of Spagnuolo -- have outscored St. Louis by a combined 60 points in the first three weeks of the season.
    After the Ravens didn't shy away from running up the score in Sunday's 37-7 drubbing, Spagnuolo put any future get-togethers with the Harbaughs on ice.

According to The Associated Press, when Spagnuolo got home Sunday night, he instructed his wife Maria, "We're not ever talking to them again."

Spagnuolo backed off that stance Monday, acknowledging that losing to friends is part of the business.

"Let me tell you something: John Harbaugh's a competitor now. So I know that in him," Spagnuolo said. "I've got no problem with it. I did feel one way yesterday, but I calmed down and looked at it."

Even if it was Mrs. Spagnuolo who calmed her husband down, we hope the Rams coach understands the primary reason for Sunday's lopsided loss: the Ravens are, well, more talented and scored easily on a defense that ranks 31st in the league. Heading into this season, St. Louis was viewed as one of the league's hot, young teams -- but less than a month in, it's only Spagnuolo's seat that's heating up.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

Re: Spagnuolo told wife: We're not talking to Harbaughs again

It's not Harbaugh's job to keep the Rams in the game.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

How the heck did they find out something he said to his wife at home? That's kinda creepy.

Comment

I could understand him being a little pissed with the completely stupid challenge late in the game and still airing it out with Flaco in the game with 2 minutes to go. Just for losing though? No.
        "I've been saving the Universe for over a thousand years. I figure it owes me just this once."

Comment

Originally posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
          How the heck did they find out something he said to his wife at home? That's kinda creepy.
          I was thinking the same thing. This is a really weird article.

Comment

Are you kidding me? When we play the way we played last sunday, we need to get get embarassed that bad. Maybe Coach Spags needs to remind his team of the score and how they played. I like Coach Spags but he needs to get this team playing like an NFL team or there goes the door.

Comment

Originally posted by rob6465 View Post
              Are you kidding me? When we play the way we played last sunday, we need to get get embarassed that bad. Maybe Coach Spags needs to remind his team of the score and how they played. I like Coach Spags but he needs to get this team playing like an NFL team or there goes the door.
              I thought Harbaugh needlessly kept his foot on the gas pedal, especially in the last few minutes of the game, long after the outcome was decided. IMO, that was uncalled for and showed a lack of class. My guess is he would not like it if it happened to him.

That said, I agree with what you said here. Getting embarrassed can, and should be a wake up call to the entire team, from top to bottom. If they don't want it to happen again, it's time to show some fight.

Comment

Did you see Ray Lewis' on the sideline? Harbaugh CAN'T turn off the motor.
                Last edited by live4ramin; -09-28-2011, 11:45 AM.
                Look away. I'm hideous. __ Cozmo Kramer

Comment

No, Spags needs to talk to the Harbaughs more to pick their brains, and learn what it takes to prepare a football team to win a football game every week.

I have absolutely no problem with the Ravens or any other team running up the score. If a team is piling on points and looking for touchdowns late in a game, and the other team can't stop it, tough. This is professional football. You're paid to perform and if you can't, oh well. That includes the Rams. They're all Pro's, no one is going to just give them a pass because they stink.

Comment

I can still remember when we RAMS were criticized for the same thing; and we scored in the fourties and fifties.
                    Look away. I'm hideous. __ Cozmo Kramer

Comment

Originally posted by Fettmaster View Post
                      No, Spags needs to talk to the Harbaughs more to pick their brains, and learn what it takes to prepare a football team to win a football game every week.

I have absolutely no problem with the Ravens or any other team running up the score. If a team is piling on points and looking for touchdowns late in a game, and the other team can't stop it, tough. This is professional football. You're paid to perform and if you can't, oh well. That includes the Rams. They're all Pro's, no one is going to just give them a pass because they stink.
                      Exact same thing I'm thinking. There not here to play nice and be kind. Its pro football. If there tossing 80 yard td's on the last play of the game, then so be it. Stop them.

Comment

Originally posted by sosa39rams View Post
                        Exact same thing I'm thinking. There not here to play nice and be kind. Its pro football. If there tossing 80 yard td's on the last play of the game, then so be it. Stop them.
                        Same here - especially coming off the Titans defeat the week before, they had to be in this game from the first second to the last. It's our job to fight them, not complain because they're beating us up. No arguments here.

Comment

Put up...or shut up.
                          "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Comment

Harbaugh had every right to stay foot on the gas pedal, it's obviously a wake up call for this team to wake up. Spags to some degree deserved to be shown the lack of respect on the late second half when he wasn't making adequate halftime adjustments as well as when Flacco was taking shots to Torrey Smith.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫

Comment

They know what Spags said because he talked about it in the press conference the next day.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
                                Poor Tackling Concerns Spagnuolo
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Poor tackling concerns Spagnuolo

BY BILL COATS
                                August 23, 2010

As coach Steve Spagnuolo put it Sunday, a day after the Rams evened their preseason record at 1-1 by edging the Browns 19-17, "A win is a win." But the victory had its blemishes, Spagnuolo pointed out.

"It's not all pretty," he said. "So there are things we've got to work on."

Perhaps topping that list is tackling. The Rams whiffed on a bunch of them in the steady rain in Cleveland.

"I did not like overall the way we tackled," Spagnuolo said. "Way too many missed tackles. And that can't happen. It doesn't matter what the elements are or what the field's like. Guys have got to make those tackles. …

"I think the guys know exactly what the issues were, because we talk about it all the time. We're high on our tackles."

After watching the game film, Spagnuolo put together a clip of five or six tackles that he said were executed perfectly. He plans to highlight those when he meets with his defense today.

"I'm going to show them those first and say, 'Hey, let's just do this all the time,'" Spagnuolo said. "I don't think this is a major, major issue, because we have some prideful guys. We're doing things the right way; we've just got to do it all the time."
                                -08-23-2010, 10:42 AM
                              • MauiRam
                                Bernie: Spagnuolo ready to tackle season ..
                                by MauiRam
                                By Bernie Miklasz Thursday, September 9, 2010 12:35 am

Steve Spagnuolo is absolutely, positively ready for his second season as the Rams' head coach.

We know this because he's sleeping in the bathroom again.

Umm ... the bathroom?

Yes, it's tucked in the back of his office on the second floor at Rams Park. The bathroom has the usual amenities, including a shower, a lavatory and toiletries. But last season Spagnuolo added a single bed.

And when the coach stays up late at the office, reviewing video, he tries to sleep in the bathroom for a few hours to save time and make a quick pivot back to work in the morning.

Not that a 1-15 rookie coach can sleep peacefully. When I asked Spagnuolo what it was like to go 1-15 last season as a rookie coach, he laughed and pointed to the bathroom. "You see that small little room? I spent some time back there," he said.

Probably getting sick to his stomach from the pain and anguish of losing. Or perhaps it was his refuge. Spagnuolo would close the door and try to sort everything out in his mind.

Emotionally and mentally, Spagnuolo absorbed quite a beating last season. His relentlessly upbeat nature was tested as never before. He won a single game. In the 15 losses, his team was outscored 426-148. Some of his friends wondered if Spagnuolo had made a career-smothering mistake by leaving his post as the New York Giants' successful defensive coordinator to take on such a thankless, hopeless job.

"I don't think this way," Spagnuolo said. "I don't know about people saying that it might kill my career, because I simply don't think that way, go through life that way. I've always had to do things this way."

Spagnuolo smiled, noted his diminutive stature and added, "At 5-8, and always having to overcome things, it's never been easy for me. I wouldn't know how to go into a situation where it was easy. I only know about starting from a tough situation and working from there. Maybe I function better that way. It hasn't been easy. It's been trying. Have I even wavered at times? Sure, I'm human. But I've never let it last long."

It explains why Spagnuolo became a buzzsaw center on his high school ice hockey team at Grafton, Mass. He was an aggressive pest who would torment taller and more skilled opponents. He played second base on the state championship baseball team. He was a quarterback who ran the wishbone offense. Go ahead. Try to knock him down.

This resolve carried Spagnuolo through coaching stops that took him around the world over a 27-year period before he became the Rams' coach. The odyssey took him to three countries, six colleges and four professional teams in small towns and big cities.

When asked why he hired the largely unknown Spagnuolo as defensive coordinator, Giants coach...
                                -09-09-2010, 12:48 AM
                              • RamWraith
                                Spagnuolo Sets the Course
                                by RamWraith
                                Monday, January 19, 2009

By Nick Wagoner
                                Senior Writer

Steve and Maria Spagnuolo call it divine intervention, some might say it was a simple twist of fate but through no intent of their own, the Spagnuolos were married at the world’s most famous Catholic destination four years ago.

The trip to Italy for a wedding had come as planned. When the pair had decided to get married, they had decided they didn’t want a big, fancy wedding. In fact, they wanted to get away to the country of their respective heritages.

So with much careful thought and planning, the couple opted to have the wedding in Italy. They wanted a simple ceremony in a Catholic church in Rome.

For their marriage to be acknowledged in the United States, there were plenty of obstacles including enough paperwork to put Mead out of business.

“Believe it or not, if you try to get married in another country, you talk about paperwork,” Spagnuolo said. “This paperwork around here is nothing.”

Indeed, the task of getting married in Rome proved too difficult and the Spagnuolos had to call an off the field audible.

As it turned out, that audible was as successful as any defensive call the Rams’ new head coach made in his two years as the wildly successful defensive coordinator of the New York Giants.

In his research of the various wedding opportunities in Italy, Spagnuolo recalled a rule that allowed for people to skip some of the inane paperwork and be married. Of course, to do this, the couple had to go through the easy task of getting married at the Vatican.

Sure, Vatican City is a country unto itself and was governed by its own rules but for most couples hoping to wed there, the nuptials were planned at least two years in advance.

“We are talking about the Vatican but this is my simple mind,” Spagnuolo said. “If you walk in the main basilica is right there but there are eight chapels, four on one side and four on the other. I’m saying to myself well how hard can it be? Just throw us in one of those chapels.”

Easier said than done. The Vatican only allows for two marriages a day, one at 10:30 a.m. and the other at 4 p.m. every day except Sunday.

Fortunately for the Spagnuolos, a priest who had worked with Steve with the Eagles in Philadelphia had relocated and had connections at the Vatican.

After forking over $200 for a best man and maid of honor to serve as witnesses, the Spagnuolos tied the knot.

“That was an act of God, divine intervention,” Spagnuolo said.

HUMBLE BEGINNINGS

Growing up in Whitinsville, Mass., just outside of Boston, Spagnuolo was one of five children to mother Carol.

From an early age, Spagnuolo was pretty much the All American kid. He loved sports, playing quarterback on the football team, second base...
                                -01-20-2009, 04:30 AM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Rams' Spagnuolo Not Second-Guessing Decisions
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Rams’ Spagnuolo not second-guessing decisions

By R.B. FALLSTROM, AP Sports Writer
                                13 hours, 16 minutes ago

ST. LOUIS (AP)—A day after a three-point loss to the Arizona Cardinals, St. Louis Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo declined to second-guess decisions that factored into the defeat.

Spagnuolo said on Monday that he still would have burned more than a half-minute off the clock at the end of the first half and settled for a field goal, and he still would have punted on fourth-and-1 late in the fourth quarter and counted on a defense that had given up huge chunks of yards on the ground to get the ball back.

Instead of going for the big plays, the Rams played not to lose.

Spagnuolo is 10-33 with five games to go in his third season. It’s a challenging stretch that could determine whether he keeps his job.

The Rams (2-9) are 13-point underdogs at San Francisco this week and, counting the rematch in the season finale against the *****, the next five opponents are a combined 38-17.

“Do you mean, how do I handle this San Francisco game right here this week?” Spagnuolo said. “You guys know how I’m wired.”

The coach believes players are still buying in, if a bit beat down.

“You have to forget about it and move on, but as a competitor they’re going to really get under your skin,” middle linebacker James Laurinaitis said. “I hate losing, I hate losing, and am never going to get used to losing.

“Nobody should in this locker room, in this organization.”

There’s no looking back for Spagnuolo. He wouldn’t have taken a few more shots at the end zone and tried to give the Rams a 14-3 cushion before halftime. He had to be talked into allowing one try before bringing on the field goal unit.

“It was a conservative approach, no question,” Spagnuolo said. “And you could have gone another way.”

In this case, Spagnuolo got the sense the offense was reeling. After Brandon Lloyd’s 26-yard reception to the 3 with 43 seconds left in the first half, the Rams went in reverse with a botched play call that resulted in a false-start penalty but easily could have been whistled for delay of game, and Sam Bradford was sacked for a 9-yard loss the next play.

“Obviously, we put ourselves in a pretty bad situation,” Bradford said.

Spagnuolo wouldn’t say what happened on the play from the 3, but indicated a lot had gone wrong.

“There were a lot of things going on,” the coach said. “There were too many issues. We need to get that play off.”

Spagnuolo also revealed he was thinking field goal right after Lloyd’s catch, going through “what if” scenarios in his mind that only got reinforced after two failures.

“Do we want to get a touchdown? Yeah,” Spagnuolo said. “I was going to bring it all the way down...
                                -11-29-2011, 03:06 PM
                              • Bralidore(RAMMODE)
                                Spagnuolo Sees Different Senior Bowl
                                by Bralidore(RAMMODE)
                                Wednesday, January 27, 2010
                                By Nick Wagoner
                                Senior Writer
                                MOBILE, Ala. – Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo has been coaching in the NFL for 11 years. Of the many things that profession entails for the majority of coaches, one is an annual trip here for Senior Bowl week.
                                That trip can only be skipped by a select few, those fortunate enough to have helped lead their teams to the final weekend or two of the NFL playoffs. Those are the coaches playing for championships and they gladly miss out on the opportunity to come to Ladd-Peebles Stadium to try to find the guys who could help them someday skip said event.
                                Before traveling down here this week, Spagnuolo reflected on this very idea and came to the conclusion that he has been quite blessed in his coaching career.
                                “I have been very, very lucky in this league,” Spagnuolo said. “This is year 11 for me and this is only I want to say like the fourth time I have been here because I have been lucky enough to be on teams that were in the playoffs.”
                                Obviously, Spagnuolo and the Rams weren’t so fortunate this season but that doesn’t mean he’s upset about coming to Mobile to get acquainted with some of the players in this year’s draft class.
                                Last week, Spagnuolo hit the one-year mark of his tenure as the head coach of the Rams. A lot has changed in that time.
                                At last year’s Senior Bowl, Spagnuolo was holed up in a room at the Renaissance Battle House Hotel interviewing candidates for various spots on his coaching staff. He attended no practices and got no feel for any of the players in attendance at last year’s game.
                                This year, Spagnuolo has had to, in some ways, re-learn the Senior Bowl process.
                                In the early days of the week, Spagnuolo sat anonymously with the NFL masses in the stands next to General Manager Billy Devaney. There, Spagnuolo picked Devaney’s brain about the players on the field in an effort to get to know some of them.
                                After a couple of days of that, Spagnuolo spent Wednesday morning standing on the sideline with Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin and his trusty pencil and notebook in hand.
                                “I was picking his brain a little bit about his first couple of years and time as a defensive coordinator so we shared some thoughts there but we both stood there and said ‘You do realize we keep moving with the defensive guys,’” Spagnuolo said, laughing. “We do have our eyes on everyone, though.”
                                Although the Spagnuolo and his staff were offered the opportunity to be one of the coaching staffs here this week, the invitation was declined. Detroit is coaching the North team while Miami is coaching the South squad.
                                Spagnuolo said he put a lot of thought into the decision but ultimately didn’t feel like the time was right for his staff to take on the task.
                                “I just felt like this year it was more advantageous for...
                                -01-27-2010, 06:44 PM
                              Working...
                              X