Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams report /notes, quotes

From USA TODAY

The injury bug has also spread to the team's coaches.
    Defensive coordinator Ken Flajole, who was walking gingerly when he spoke to the media, injured his groin in a drill.
    He said, "I was trying to be a young guy and help on the pass drill and I realized I'm an old guy. I pulled my groin. I was like a linebacker and I was trying to show the safety where the 'backer would be. Let me tell you, my youthful indiscretion got the best of me. I realized I've got to be in better shape.
    "James Laurinaitis has got nothing to worry about."

—The Rams won't be changing their schemes during their bye week. They won't be making any drastic changes.
    What they will be doing is examining closely what they are at this point. Many teams around the NFL are trying to figure that out right now, while establishing a personality.
    Aside from playing bad football during the first four games of the season, this Rams team doesn't have an identity.
    From an explosive beginning when running back Steven Jackson scored on a 47-yard run on the first offensive play of the season, the offense has quickly degenerated into a dysfunctional mess that was fueled by the injury Jackson sustained on that run and the loss of wide receiver Danny Amendola, quarterback Sam Bradford's security blanket, also in that first game.
    The coaching staff wasted no time Monday beginning the self-scouting process that could also include some soul-searching. Players practiced Tuesday and Wednesday, but most of the coach's time will be spent being realistic assessing the talent on hand and figuring out the best way of utilizing it when the season resumes with an Oct. 16 game in Green Bay.
    As coach Steve Spagnuolo said, "You never know when you get the schedule at the beginning of the year if the bye week comes at a good time. In this particular case I think it does."
    It wasn't difficult for Spagnuolo to list what will be scrutinized closely.
    "Certainly protections, certainly third down on both sides, certainly the run fronts on offense. These are the things that just stick out," he said. "You guys can probably list another five or six of them, but we'll look at them all. And the thing you do have to be careful with, with that, and I've learned this over the years, is you can't go searching for things that are not there.
    "And you can't knee-jerk react to things that you find, because in a lot of instances, it just comes back to fundamentals. I know that's not the glorious answer that you want, but a lot of times that's what it comes down to."
    Fundamentals like catching the ball, blocking somebody, lining up correctly or not starting too soon have been lacking. Games can change when a team is simply opportunistic and fundamentally sound.
    "I think some of that is, we're living through some growing pains there," he said. "We've got guys out there for the first time in NFL games. I know it's the fourth game and I'm not trying to make excuses, but if you don't catch the football ... both sides of the ball; if you don't catch the football, come up with it when it's on the ground, it makes it hard to win. It changes everything when you get the turnovers on defense and when you catch those particular balls on offense. The whole thing changes."
    When asked about changing schemes (something that would be unrealistic anyway during a season), Spagnuolo said, "Both schemes offensively and defensively, all three (including special teams), have been proven in this league at various places. We believe in that. I know the players believe.
    "What I do think we need to do is do it better. I believe that. That's as simple as I can state it and I believe in that. Will we find a couple of wrinkles? Yeah. You do that all the time. If we were 4-0 we'd find a couple of scheme wrinkles, but at the core we're not going to abandon what we do, we're just going to do it better."
    One wrinkle could be rolling Bradford out more.
    "We could do that," Spagnuolo said. "We talked a little bit more about more three-step. Where it gets to be a problem and we made this statement this morning when we talked, the shorter passes would be fine. What we've got to do is stay out of the third-and-really-longs because then it becomes a little bit tougher. I'm with you on the movement passes which we did have in there, we'll probably find ways to get more of them in there. Sam does throw the ball well on the run."

NOTES, QUOTES
    Undrafted free agent James Dockery, who agreed to terms with the Rams only to renege and sign with the Cleveland Browns. Dockery is on the Browns' 53-man roster.
    —There is also some injury concern with tight end Michael Hoomanawanui, who was officially diagnosed with a concussion. He missed significant time in training camp because of a concussion.
    Said Spagnuolo, "Today (Monday) he seemed to be coming around a little bit, so we'll see where he is tomorrow. But now we go through that same process that we do with all the concussions. Hopefully this one's not as bad as the last one, for lack of a better way to say it, and hopefully he can bounce back and he is OK. But they are concerning."
    —Sometimes league rankings can be misleading, especially after only four games.
    But, in the case of the Rams' offense, there are some sobering realities.
    The Rams are one of only five teams with fewer than 10 red-zone trips this season. They have nine, and are tied for the third-worst percentage of touchdowns at 33.3 percent.
    Their poor production on first down Sunday pushed the Rams to last in the NFL with an average of 4.18 yards on first down. By way of contrast New England is first at 7.52.
    The Rams are next-to-last converting 27.9 percent of their third-down plays. San Diego is first at 58.5.
    Last season, the Rams' defense was one of the better units in the league allowing just a 33.5 percent conversion rate on third down. After four games, that figure has jumped to 45.9, which ranks 30th in the NFL.
    In some other telling categories, the Rams' offense is last in yards per play, last in net passing yards per play and next to last in sacks per pass play.
    BY THE NUMBERS: 1-7 — The Rams' record, dating back to last season, after they were 6-6 with four games to play.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "Just keep chopping wood. That's really all you can do. We realize that it's not going to get any easier for us. Nobody feels sorry for us. We don't feel sorry for ourselves. Hopefully guys rest up this week after we have a couple practices and just come back with a passion and determination to try to do something about it." — LB James Laurinaitis, when asked what the team can do going forward.
    :ramlogo:

Re: Rams report /notes, quotes

At least it looks like they are going to mix in more short quick passes and roll outs. We need to keep Sam upright and alive!

Comment

That needs to be the PARAMOUNT PRIORITY moving forward!!!! To hell with all other issues, they just need to learn how to damn block and keep Sam on his feet.

Comment

So in other words, we'll resort more to last year's offensive scheme when it comes to the passing game? Wow, I'm really looking forward to that.

Comment

I thought Mcdaniels scheme is a five step drop as opposed to last years 3 step which Shurmur utilized and helped Bradford's completion percentage what it was last year. This years offensive line doesn't seem to have the ability to hold and contain the defense whether it is from the right, left or up the middle. Not so sure we will come close to what we achieved last year in the short /middle passing game. I have to agree with you that the roll outs seem to be a good option. In the end we have to have receivers who have got to CATCH THE DAMN BALL!!!:mad:
          Last edited by rayzorram; -10-08-2011, 12:52 AM.

Comment

If we can't pass block, and we can't catch passes, and our recieving corps is so poor, and our passing game is last in the league, then RUN THE DAMN BALL.

Every down. Every time. Let the recievers line up as blockers; let em know it's coming. Smash em. Go option.

Do something completely different.

Do something.
            Look away. I'm hideous. __ Cozmo Kramer

Comment

Sorry, double post post.
              Last edited by live4ramin; -10-09-2011, 12:21 PM.

Comment

More.....

Always go for it on fourth down. Always.

Alwasy go for two. Keep running.

Onside kick; no always, but much more often.

Show confidance in the team.

Try to win.

Be desparate.

Be Bold.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• ZiaRam
                  Rams Have Bye Week to Put an End to Bad Football
                  by ZiaRam
                  by Howard Balzer

The Rams won't be changing their schemes during their bye week. They won't be making any drastic changes.
                  What they will be doing is examining closely what they are at this point. Many teams around the NFL are trying to figure that out right now, while establishing a personality.
                  Aside from playing bad football, this Rams team doesn't have an identity.

From an explosive beginning when running back Steven Jackson scored on a 47-yard run on the first offensive play of the season, the offense has quickly degenerated into a dysfunctional mess that has was fueled by the injury Jackson suffered on that run and the loss of wide receiver Danny Amendola, quarterback Sam Bradford's security blanket, also in that first game.

The coaching staff wasted no time Monday beginning the self-scouting process that could also include some soul-searching. Players will practice Tuesday and Wednesday, but most of the coach's time will be spent being realistic assessing the talent on hand and figuring out the best way of utilizing it when the season resumes with an Oct. 16 game in Green Bay.

As coach Steve Spagnuolo said Monday, "You never know when you get the schedule at the beginning of the year if the bye week comes at a good time. In this particular case I think it does."
                  It wasn't difficult for Spagnuolo to list what will be scrutinized closely.

"Certainly protections, certainly third down on both sides, certainly the run fronts on offense. These are the things that just stick out. You guys can probably list another five or six of them, but we'll look at them all. And the thing you do have to be careful with, with that, and I've learned this over the years, is you can't go searching for things that are not there.
                  "And you can't knee-jerk react to things that you find, because in a lot of instances it just comes back to fundamentals. I know that's not the glorious answer that you want, but a lot of times that's what it comes down to."
                  Ah, fundamentals. Like catching the ball. Like blocking somebody. Like lining up correctly or not starting too soon.

Games can change when a team is simply opportunistic and fundamentally sound.
                  "I think some of that is we're living through some growing pains there," he said. "We've got guys out there for the first time in NFL games. I know it's the fourth game and I'm not trying to make excuses, but if you don't catch the football ... both sides of the ball; if you don't catch the football, come up with it when it's on the ground it makes it hard to win. It changes everything when you get the turnovers on defense and when you catch those particular balls on offense. The whole thing changes."

When asked about changing schemes (something that would be unrealistic anyway during a season), Spagnuolo said, "Both schemes offensively and defensively,...
                  -10-04-2011, 11:19 PM
                • r8rh8rmike
                  Rams Team Report - Nov 10
                  by r8rh8rmike
                  Rams Team Report
                  Yahoo! Sports - Nov 10, 1:40 am EST

INSIDE SLANT

As the Rams begin the second half of their first season under coach Steve Spagnuolo with a record of 1-7, no one knows how many wins will occur in the final eight games. Certainly, Spagnuolo was hopeful of having more than one when the team hit its bye.

But he hasn't strayed from his consistent approach, which is to stress team first, one game at a time, and remain as positive as possible with his message. That can be tough when losses mount up, but Spagnuolo has apparently achieved it so far.

He admitted, "I have had my moments (of frustration). But I think there's a professional way to do it. I think everybody in this business should be respected for the jobs they have. I think any business is about respecting each other. I don't see any reason to go off the cuff. I keep that to myself. Part of what we talk about as a team is being a poised team. You can't be a poised team if the head coach isn't poised."

Said safety Oshiomogho Atogwe, "Being a guy who has been here with the Rams now going for five years, some of the younger guys and some of the vets need to see loyalty and faithfulness from the guys that have already been here, and that's going to carry over throughout the locker room so you just build a team that is really focused on one goal and one purpose and being one."

A head coach has to have credibility, and that can be difficult for a first-timer. It surely helped Spagnuolo that he was an assistant coach for 10 seasons under Andy Reid in Philadelphia and Tom Coughlin with the Giants.

"I think that he would even admit that we bought into his system," quarterback Marc Bulger said. "We know it's going to be successful; it's just a matter of bearing with it. Once we start getting those wins, it will start to pay off. It's a winning formula. He's been with the Giants and Philadelphia. It's not always easy, but I think that the older guys around here know that it is a winning formula. We've all bought into it."

Spagnuolo likes what he has seen, especially the absence of sulking players, or those who start pointing fingers at others.

Said Spagnuolo, "To me, that's a credit to the players. It is easy in this business to venture somewhere else, especially when you don't have a lot of success. That's why I keep going back to and keep saying that I love the group down there, the character, the commitment, the loyalty, because if you have those things, eventually that will be the reason why you win. It won't be about coaches or trick plays. It will be because what your core of players is made of. That will be the reason why we win."

Expounding on that point, Spagnuolo said he gets impressions from a lot of the little things that are still important in terms of the...
                  -11-11-2009, 04:42 PM
                • Rambos
                  Rams Searching for Answers
                  by Rambos
                  By Nick Wagoner/Senior Writer

As Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo used the wee hours of Monday morning to watch the tape of Sunday’s loss at the hands of the Cowboys, he couldn’t help but find himself every bit as shocked and disappointed with his team’s inability to tackle as he figured he would be right after the game.

“I will just sum it up this way,” Spagnuolo said, shaking his head. “We have got to solve the defensive issues. I think most of it can be solved by tackling. I added it up this morning, on the 11 plays we missed tackles, after the missed tackle there was a total of 183 yards given up. So you can do the math and figure out if we don’t tackle better that part is not going to get better.”

In a confounding season that has seen the Rams start 0-6, there have been myriad issues cropping up every week; some of them have continued to rear their ugly heads while others seem to come more sporadically.

But at the heart of the issue is the stuff that should be easy. In its purest form, blocking and tackling are the most basic tenets of the game. They are the things you are taught from the moment you step foot on a field back in pee wee football.

On Sunday, blocking wasn’t actually much of the issue against the Cowboys as the offensive line had one of its better pass protection games of the season. No, this one boiled down to a basic lack of tackling.

“We have got to get back to basics,” safety Quintin Mikell said. “That’s what it all boils down to. When you have a game like this, you just get back to basics. You stop worrying about schemes, you don’t worry about this or that, you just get back to basics and get back to what you do every week in football. I feel like we have just got to get back to that.”

For the better part of the season, tackling had been one of the fundamentals the Rams hadn’t really struggled with much save for a few spurts here and there. As Dallas continued to pound away in the running game with DeMarco Murray, the missed tackles piled up.

In an unofficial count, the Rams had about 13 blatant missed tackles against the Cowboys with the clear majority of those blanks coming from the secondary on plays that allowed Murray to hit on some big runs.

When all was said and done, Murray had rushed for 253 yards on 25 carries, including a 91-yard jaunt in which he was untouched by the first of the baker’s dozen of whiffs.

For a coach who emphasizes to his defense that stopping the run should always come first, Spagnuolo couldn’t help but remain disappointed by what he saw on the film.
                  “It’s a team game but I can’t get past the run defense and I’m talking about the whole team,” Spagnuolo said. “Because I think it’s that important. I just think that a team that is able to run like that on any opponent, it makes it hard to win the game on offense, defense and special teams, all three...
                  -10-25-2011, 07:56 AM
                • r8rh8rmike
                  St Louis Rams' Coach Steve Spagnuolo Makes Transition
                  by r8rh8rmike
                  St. Louis Rams' coach Steve Spagnuolo makes transition
                  11/06/2009

Catching his breath during the bye week, Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo talks about the transition from NFL assistant to NFL head coach with Post-Dispatch football writer Jim Thomas.

Q: Once you arrive at work, how hands-on have you been with the defense?

A: "I'm in all of the meetings. (Defensive coordinator) Ken Flajole and I, toward the end of the week, we'll sit down by ourselves. We'll come up with what we want to do. And then, when we're on the 'phones' during the game, it's kind of a natural flow. I let him run with it most of the time. I usually chime in a lot on third down. So it's kind of a constant back and forth."

Q: Often, when the Rams have the ball and there's a timeout, you're not involved in the sideline huddle with offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur, quarterbacks coach Dick Curl, and the quarterback. Why is that?

A: "Sometimes, I don't (participate) purposely because it's another voice in there. At that time, the less voices the better. Now, I'll step in there when I want something done a certain way. But when it's just a decision of what play to select — Pat, Dick and Marc (Bulger), that's their venue. I try not to step on their toes that way. That's why I physically step out, so that they don't feel like that."

Q: During the week, how involved are you in the offense?

A: "Pat and I visit every morning, so that if I haven't been in an offensive meeting, he updates me on what's going on and what they're doing. I trust those guys over there. So there'll be a suggestion here and there ... but never to throw it out of whack."

Q: You have an inflatable bed in your office here at Rams Park. Are you putting it to use much by staying overnight?

A: "Usually Monday and Tuesday. Every once in a while Wednesday, but I try not to do that because I like seeing my wife. I try every week to get home on Monday. Tuesday's a given that I'm sleeping here."

Q: How long is the commute from your home in the Lafayette Square area?

A: "It's 25 minutes. It's not bad. But you go 25 here, 25 back. And when I go home, I can't go right to bed, so that's another 30 minutes. So it ends up being an hour-and-a-half of lost sleep, whereas if I can just stay here (at Rams Park) — bang. You get an extra hour-and-a-half (sleep). Toward the end of the week, it adds up."

Q: From Day One you've stressed togetherness with this team. Has it been tough to get that message across with so many personnel changes?

A: "Because we're preaching 'team' and 'staying together,' it doesn't mean that we're talking out of two sides of our mouth. Some of the moves were forced because of injuries, and I think players understand that. With a couple of...
                  -11-05-2009, 10:38 PM
                • r8rh8rmike
                  Rams Focus On Staying United
                  by r8rh8rmike
                  Rams Focus on Staying United
                  Monday, October 5, 2009

By Nick Wagoner
                  Senior Writer

As the clock wound down on the Rams’ loss to San Francisco on Sunday, running back Steven Jackson made it a point to provide some obvious leadership to his young teammates.

No, Jackson didn’t return to the sideline yelling and screaming. He didn’t get a silly penalty to try to prove some sort of toughness, either.

Instead, Jackson did what he always does. When the ball was handed to him, he ran as hard as he could. Regardless of the score, Jackson kept grinding away against a San Francisco defense that had fully committed to trying to slow him down.

In the process, Jackson knowingly sent a message to his teammates that quitting is never an option.

“That last drive I was able to be in, I just tried to run with a different determination, not to say that I was holding anything back, but you have got to understand that when you are down like we were you don’t give up,” Jackson said. “We are professional football players and we are expected to execute. We are going to lose battles out there but within those battles you cannot lose yourself in the game. We have to continue to fight no matter what the scoreboard says.”

Now four games in to the 2009 season, the Rams have reached the quarter pole of the first season under coach Steve Spagnuolo.

While that opening stretch hasn’t resulted yet in a victory, Spagnuolo and locker room leaders such as Jackson are doing everything they can to keep the ship headed in the right direction.

For the league’s fourth-youngest team (average age of right around 26), the rebuilding process can be slow and painful. And when dealing with youth and inexperience, it’s imperative for the people who have been around – the veterans and the coaching staff – to keep hammering away at the details until they become second nature.

It’s a painstaking process but it must be done. And though Spagnuolo can’t send any messages with his play on the field, it is his job to continue to take the temperature of his team and find ways to keep everyone’s head focused on moving on to the next step and not allowing any losses to fester.

“I believe in this group,” Spagnuolo said. We can get out of this and work our way out of this. It’s going to take a lot of work. Nothing I am going to say is going to be different than what I have been saying all year long. Those games are done, we move on to Minnesota. We try to learn from it and we try to get better as a football team.”

Indeed, Spagnuolo has been true to his message from day one, never altering the tone or even the volume of what he wants to convey to his team even in the face of adversity.

Following Sunday’s loss to San Francisco in which many of the problems that have plagued the Rams in the...
                  -10-05-2009, 08:32 PM
                Working...
                X