You know who I want to see more of this game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know who I want to see more of this game

Torry Holt. I want to see that big smile and the some nice catches from Torry.

Last year he was one of the key players and this year he has slipped out of the limelight. Bruce has been producing and that is good, but I want to see more of Torry.

UtterBlitz
    sigpic

Re: You know who I want to see more of this game

I can't tell if Torry is having difficulty getting open or if Bulger just doesn't have time to go through his progressions to find him. Probably a combination of both. Whatever the reason we really need him to get more involved to open things up. Give me more post patterns baby!

Go Rams!!!

Comment

Holt is on pace for 1200 yards and 10 TD's. He's been quietly having another great year.

Comment

Originally posted by UtterBlitz
        Torry Holt. I want to see that big smile and the some nice catches from Torry.

Last year he was one of the key players and this year he has slipped out of the limelight. Bruce has been producing and that is good, but I want to see more of Torry.
        I'd just like to see a different Holt. One who knows when it is not time to hang with Dre' and crack jokes. One who knows when to say no to people asking him to wear a pink tutu. One who knows that calling oneself Big Game means walking the walk after he has talked the talk. He can smile after the game is over.

Comment

More cowbell?

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
            Big Game Headed for Another Big Season
            by RamWraith
            Thursday, December 8, 2005

By Nick Wagoner
            Senior Writer

Player after player, receiver after receiver crosses into the end zone, setting off a display of celebrations with each player seemingly trying to outdo the other with a celebration more over the top than the one before it.

But Holt pays no mind to the creative jigs or not-so-creative spikes. He is focused on the task at hand, getting his weekly massage and taking care of his tools. By tools of course he means the legs that allow him to outrun almost any defensive back in the league and the hands that often times appear to have been manicured with Elmer’s Glue.

With so many of today’s NFL players focusing their celebrations on themselves, many times copping desperate pleas for attention with something so crazy or ridiculous that nobody can take them seriously, here lies Holt with no cares in the world aside from getting the tools shined and sharpened for another week of practice.

“I know Torry, I think really well after seven years,” coach Mike Martz said. “Torry talks about it with me sometimes. Torry is happy with who he is. He doesn’t need any notoriety. He loves to play. You’ve seen him in practice; he’s like a little kid running around here. He just loves to play. He doesn’t care about the attention, the notoriety, the commercials, or special spots on him or any of those things. Those are fine. That’s good. I think those are good for the National Football League. That’s not who Torry is, he could care less about that stuff.”

Me as in Team

Make no mistake, Holt loves a good celebration as much as the next guy, but the only use of the word me that Holt would ever use is when it’s in the form of the second and fourth letters of the word team.

On occasion you might see Holt work in an end zone dance (he’s been known to do the cabbage patch), but generally any celebrating he does comes only with the company of his teammates. Take the Bob ‘n’ Weave from the Greatest Show on Turf days for example or what is simply known as the “Jump” that he and his teammates do now.

Holt could easily use individual celebrations to pump his reputation like so many other receivers in the league have done, but that’s not who he is and that’s not what he is about.

“I’m here to be sure that I uphold my end of the bargain to this team of doing what I am supposed to do to continue to help this ball club win games,” Holt said. “I definitely have my individual stats and performance that I want to reach, but at the same time I want to help this ball club win games too.”

Therein lies the ultimate force that drives Holt. While other receivers go out looking to score touchdowns in bunches and gain yards by the bushel and complain when they don’t, Holt only truly cares about one statistic: wins.

Nobody knows better...
            -12-08-2005, 03:35 PM
          • RamWraith
            Rams' Holt has quietly earned place among NFL`s elite
            by RamWraith
            BY STEVE KORTE

Knight Ridder Newspapers

ST. LOUIS - (KRT) - St. Louis Rams wide receiver Torry Holt isn`t interested in self-promotion.

Holt isn`t a publicity hound like some of the other elite wide receivers in the NFL. He doesn`t say outlandish things and he doesn`t stage any elaborate touchdown celebrations.

That`s just not the way that Holt, who grew up in the small town of Gibsonville, N.C. and went to North Carolina State, was raised.

"I remember when I was growing up and I`d do my little thing and show other teams up, and they`d start calling me `Hot dog,"" Holt said. "Mom always said, `That stuff one day is going to catch up with you.` After she said that, I just played the game.

"Even in high school, I always felt like I was the underdog, so going out and doing all the stuff isn`t going to get me anything more. I just wanted to go out and play hard and show that I can play on any level with anybody."

A year spent at the Hargrave Military Academy in 1994 also taught Holt about keeping his ego in check.

"The military academy was a very humbling experience," Holt said. "That (touchdown celebrations) was something you couldn`t do at the military academy.

"It was score, give the ball back to the ref and go over with the other cadets and celebrate. Just my life experiences have made me the person that I am today."

Because Holt doesn`t make waves, he doesn`t always get the acclaim of other top-flight receivers like Terrell Owens or Randy Moss.

Flying under the radar is OK with Holt.

"I know Torry, I think, really well after seven years," Rams coach Mike Martz said. "Torry talks about it with me sometimes. Torry is happy with who he is. He doesn`t need any notoriety. He loves to play.

"You`ve seen him in practice; he`s like a little kid running around here. He doesn`t care about the attention, the notoriety, the commercials, special spots on him or any of those things. That`s not who Torry is. He could care less about that stuff."

Holt has 30 receptions for 442 yards and three touchdowns after four games this season.

Yet, you won`t see Holt pulling a Sharpie pen out of his sock to sign the ball after a touchdown, or hiding a cellular telephone in the padding around the goal posts.

"I would never do that," Holt said. "To me, that`s way outside the game. If those guys want to do that stuff, then that`s what they want to do. That`s their prerogative. That takes too much thinking.

"With this offense, I have to remember all these plays we have going into the week, and then trying to remember some kind of skit out there that I`m going to do after I have scored, that`s way too much."
            -10-05-2005, 10:08 AM
          • RamWraith
            Rams' Holt humble as ever
            by RamWraith
            By Howard Balzer, USA TODAY Sports Weekly
            ST. LOUIS — His numbers speak for themselves, but it takes more than numbers to measure the man.

In the case of Rams wide receiver Torry Holt, his numbers show just how productive he has been since coming to the Rams as the sixth overall pick in the 1999 draft. It's just that few seem to notice, perhaps because Holt, while a vibrant personality, isn't one to call attention to himself, whether with words or end-zone dances.

Entering this season, Holt had never missed a game and is on a streak of five consecutive seasons with at least 1,300 yards. No other NFL player has ever done that. The streak includes two years in which he went over 1,600 yards, most notably his 2003 season, when he had 117 catches for 1,696 yards and 12 touchdowns.

While the presence of humble receiver Isaac Bruce was a role model for Holt when he came to the Rams, he emphasizes that he really didn't have to change from the way he had always been.

"I remember when I was growing up and I'd do my little thing and show other teams up, and they'd start calling me 'Hot dog,' " Holt says. "Mom always said, 'That stuff one day is going to catch up with you.' After she said that, I just played the game.

"Even in high school, I always felt like I was the underdog, so going out and doing all the stuff isn't going to get me anything more. I just wanted to go out and play hard and show that I can play on any level with anybody."

Before attending North Carolina State, Holt spent a year at Hargrave Military Academy in Virginia, an experience that also shaped his future.

"(Celebrating) was something you couldn't do at the military academy," Holt says. "It was score, give the ball back to the ref and go over with the other cadets and celebrate. Just my life experiences have made me the person that I am today."

Rams coach Mike Martz, now on a medical leave of absence, says of Holt: "Torry is happy with who he is. He doesn't need any notoriety. He loves to play. You've seen him in practice; he's like a little kid running around here.

"He doesn't care about the attention, the notoriety, the commercials, or special spots on him or any of those things. I think those are good for the National Football League. That's not who Torry is. He could care less about that stuff."

"I've always said, when I came into the NFL, I made it a point to Coach that I don't necessarily need all that stuff to get me going or to solidify my position," Holt says. "I'm here to help this organization win ballgames and win championships. As long as I can do that and stay healthy and, most importantly, stay consistent, I'm fine with that.

"If that other stuff comes, if I can get an endorsement here or be on TV here, that's fine; I'll take...
            -10-19-2005, 03:01 PM
          • RamDez
            Torry Holt: Quiet excellence
            by RamDez
            Torry Holt: Quiet excellence
            By Bill Coats
            ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
            Sunday, Oct. 02 2005

Cell phone hidden in the goal post padding? Nope. Sharpie pen stuffed in a
            sock? No way. Fake mooning of the crowd? Not a chance.

"That type of stuff, that's not me," Rams wide receiver Torry Holt said.
            "That's just not my deal." Because he eschews the kind of antics that other NFL
            wideouts favor to shower themselves with notoriety, Holt usually remains at the
            edge of the spotlight, and he's perfectly comfortable there.

"I don't necessarily need all that stuff to get me going or to solidify my
            position in the National Football League," he said. "I'm here to ... win
            ballgames and win championships. As long as I can continue to do that and stay
            healthy, and ... stay consistent, then I'm fine with that."

While others try to grab time on TV, Holt just keeps trying to grab footballs.
            The seventh-year veteran heads into Sunday's game at Giants Stadium as the
            league's leader in receiving yards (358) and tied for first in receptions (23).

After three games last year, he had one more catch and seven fewer yards. He
            finished the regular season with 94 catches for 1,372 yards, fourth in the NFL
            in both categories. It marked the fifth successive season that Holt had topped
            1,300 yards, a feat never before achieved.

But you won't hear Holt crowing about his accomplishments or talking trash. He
            keeps his mouth shut and leaves the evaluation to others.

"Torry is happy who he is," said coach Mike Martz, the offensive coordinator
            when the Rams drafted Holt in the first round (No. 6 overall) in 1999. "He
            doesn't care about the attention. ... You've seen him in practice; he's like a
            little kid running around here. He just loves to play."

Besides, Holt's mother, Ojetta Holt-Shoffner, didn't raise her three children
            to be shameless self-promoters. Torry learned that at a tender age.

"When I was growing up, I used to do my little thing and show the other teams
            up. They started to call me 'Hotdog.' And I remember my mom saying, 'One day,
            that stuff's going to catch up with you,'" said Holt, 29. "When she said that,
            I kind of (decided to) just play the game ... let my play do my talking for me."

With his easy smile, Holt added: "Plus, going out there and talking and all
            that, it makes you tired. I don't have all that energy to be doing that."

Though he makes millions now, Holt has seen the other side. His father, Odell
            Shoffner, worked two jobs, and his mother labored in a yarn mill. The family
            lived in a modest apartment. During summers as a youngster, Torry earned $5 an ...
            -10-02-2005, 02:05 AM
          • viper
            Holt Came To Play Sunday!
            by viper
            Did anybody notice on Holt's first catch, that after catching the ball he made about 3 guys miss as he was doing everything he could to get get some yac? Whereas, normally he would automatically fall to the ground to avoid being hit. I think Torry took Martz's words to heart last week and decided there was more he could do. Too bad he went down, could have been fun to watch. I'll look forward to seeing him do that next week.

Did anybody see anyone else step up out of the norm? I'd have to give Coady kudo's as well.

Let's hope they keep it up!

Go Rams!!!
            -11-15-2004, 08:41 PM
          Working...
          X