Spags Job...The hot topic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spags Job...The hot topic.

Well...everyone else has made their opinion of Spags and his job very clear.

I guess ill join the party.

It seems as if the consensus of Clanram is yelling OFF WITH HIS HEAD.

From what i've seen during the Spags era, I don't think this is the right move, yet. It would be smart for Kroenke to give Spags and Co at least one more year to turn things around. Here's why.

1. Injuries- Ok..ok..I realize its part of the game. Seriously though, is there a team out there that has had more crucial injuries than us. We lost our top 3 corner backs in the first weeks of play. This would be devastating to any team in the NFL. Not to mention, our young developing quarterback lost his safety valve early on. I miss Amendola at this point much more than I thought I might. The fact is, if he's healthy, Bradford hits Danny on a short route if necessary. IMO, this would've reduced our sack total by quite a bit. It seems as is Bradford sometimes refuses to just throw the ball away, which makes a shifty Amendola that much more important. He also could've gotten the ball out so much quicker. While Salas looks to be promising, he's just not quick enough to get open so soon like Amendola. By the way, what happened to that promising young Salas. :| Theres alot more injuries here and there also(Sam's ankle), that just keep holding this team back. I know there's no excuses to why we didn't score yesterday when we moved the ball so well. However, I would bet a lot of money we would've with Lloyd, Amendola, Dx, and Salas. Not to mention Clayton.

2. Rebuilding- Correct me if im wrong, but when he inherited this team wasn't it filled with players that belong in the CFL. Keenan Burton, Alex Barron, and Justin"Cant wait til we cut his a$$"King just to name a few. It takes time to rebuild a team so dismantled. They've had only a few drafts and FA's to do so. They have done a good job in my opinion, considering all the dead money they inherited too. Also, keep in mind how hard it is to sign the top free agents when your rebuilding a team that has done nothing but lose most of the last decade.

3. Short Offseason- Yes, all the teams had the same amount of time to get acclimated to the season. We did change quite a bit from last season though. We implemented a new offensive scheme, the second one in two years for a sophomore quarterback. We also added quite a bit of new players. These guys seems like they're finally learning to play as a team though.

4. Continuity- This team desperately needs to stay the course and just keep building around young Sam. If Kroenke decides to fire Spags, and hire yet another HC, so be it. I would understand, but i would disagree. Bradfords young and im nervous of a new HC bringing yet another OC. He has shown this year that it will take him time to acclimate to complex offensive systems.

5. Poor Fundamentals- Yea the coach takes some responsibility for this, but how much time and effort can you put into cutting down false starts? There weren't a big problem last year, so why are they now? Receivers are solely to blame for dropped passes. They've cut down on them quite a bit though. I think we have fixed a couple key fundamentals that hampered us earlier on. I don't think these guys are a bunch of "bottomfeeders" like I've seen them called a lot lately. The talent on this team is much better than 08. They just need to play to the level we know they can. They did that against the Saints and also against the Cards, for the most part. We dominated that game aside from finishing offensively. I realize that's critical, I'm just pointing out we played fairly well. If you think he hasn't lit into some players about fundamentals your wrong. I read a quote after the Cowboys game where he called the D out about their poor tackling. He's not as soft as everyone thinks.

I understand why people want him out. I get it. We are one of the worst teams in the league this year. I get that we need to win no matter what. It's not that I think Spags is the best thing ever to happen to the Rams, I just think he can end up being a good head coach with a little more time. He's proved that we could win a good amount of games under him last year.

The rest of the season will be a crucial factor in who the HC is come next year.

If Spags is given another year, I believe he will prove to us why we hired him.

Re: Spags Job...The hot topic.

Note the sanity of this post.
    Very well put, I've lost a bit of my sanctum when questioning Spags but I realized how good he was pulling the chains on defense. The offense just needs to get their heads out of their asses and even the special teams too at this point.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫

Comment

As aggrevated as I am with this team right now I am inclined to agree with you, only from the standpoint that sooner or later this team needs to have some stability at the HC job. Quality organizations don't change coaches like underwear, but I do think some of the staff should be changed, namely the O-line coach.
      sigpic

Comment

Long time viewer, first time poster here. Definitely a Rams fan, even through the pain.

That said, I want to like Spags and what he's trying to do, as well as the character guy he seems to be -- but the reality has been shared abroad the board. His record speaks for itself.

One huge gripe I have, and this may seem incredibly critical of me to point out -- but has anyone else ever noticed how much he struggles during press conferences? I understand that being under the eye of the media isn't easy, but he often has to confirm (or ask) about what happened during a game with the reporters. As well, he's made a few mistakes recounting situations that happened during a game. I watch other coaches and they can spout out facts flawlessly and still lead their teams to victory. I guess my point is that Spags just seems massively lost or in over his head a majority of the time.

To comment on some your thoughts (and they are all very good points) Festus:

1. Injuries

Yeah, injuries have hurt a lot, no doubt about it. And while a lot of that can be blamed to bad luck or to the lack of the training camps, I'd like to think it also shows a lack of discipline (and subsequently, coaching). Has any other team come close to as banged up as we are, besides maybe the Giants? Granted, they're playing very well through it all. And look at Green Bay, they won the SB last year and were really banged up themselves but pulled through the season.

2. Rebuilding

Can't say I disagree at all here, but I do wish we'd have kept a few players that got let go early on. I liked Thaddeus quite a bit. That to say, rebuilding is valid, but don't let potential talent go either. Look at Laurent Robinson for example, playing really well for Dallas.

3. Short offseason

You said it best, every other team faced the same thing. New offense, but that really shouldn't have been as big an issue as it has become IMO.

4. Continuity

That's fine, and I do agree, but if Spags is allowed to continue accumulating his losses, the players are shown that there is no accountability. There has to be a way to show urgency to accumulating wins.

5. Fundamentals

Spags is just too soft. Fundamentals are fundamentals, that's the most obvious sign of coaching, or lack thereof. If he can't find a way to eliminate the issues with the fundamentals, he's not the right person for the job.

Just my 2 cents -- and at this rate, while I always want a win, I'd rather see us get a good draft position. Maybe even trade the #1 spot away for a king's ransom, but I don't think we'll be that "luck"y. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

-M$Ram

Comment

Originally posted by FestusRam View Post
          1. Injuries
          Every team goes through injuries. It's part of the game. Good teams know how to adapt to the circumstances.

What happens if we get injuries next year? Do we yet again give Spag's another year by making the excuse that injuries happened, AGAIN?

2. Rebuilding
          There's less than 10 players left from the previous regime, and only a few of those are starters. The players we have now are Spags and Devaney's guys. Let's not use this rebuilding argument anymore. They've had 3 years, which is ample time.

3. Short Offseason
          Every team went through the short off-season, not just us. We don't hear other teams complain about it. They adapted, and had the passion and the mentality to work through it.

4. Continuity
          Only thing I would agree with. However, is a continuity of mediocre play good? I don't want to have continuity if all it promises is more average and crappy play.

5. Poor Fundamentals
          Both the coach's fault and the players.

If Spags is given another year, I believe he will prove to us why we hired him.
          Frankly, I think I've seen all that I needed to see from his expressions, mentality, body language, actions, and how he conducts business.

Comment

Originally posted by M$Ram View Post
            Long time viewer, first time poster here. Definitely a Rams fan, even through the pain.

That said, I want to like Spags and what he's trying to do, as well as the character guy he seems to be -- but the reality has been shared abroad the board. His record speaks for itself.
            I think his record is the most misunderstood stat of them all. In 09, his first year, he worked with a team that was a majority of players he inherited. A team that had been absolutely destroyed by the previous F.O. IMO we should take the 09 record with a grain of salt.

One huge gripe I have, and this may seem incredibly critical of me to point out -- but has anyone else ever noticed how much he struggles during press conferences? I understand that being under the eye of the media isn't easy, but he often has to confirm (or ask) about what happened during a game with the reporters. As well, he's made a few mistakes recounting situations that happened during a game. I watch other coaches and they can spout out facts flawlessly and still lead their teams to victory. I guess my point is that Spags just seems massively lost or in over his head a majority of the time.
            Not a bad point, but this could be due to a number of things. The head coach is in charge of so many aspects of the game. I actually just watched his post game earlier and he didn't seem to off to me. I would say he more than likely wants to be absolutely positive hes answering the right question before he rambles on.

To comment on some your thoughts (and they are all very good points) Festus:

1. Injuries

Yeah, injuries have hurt a lot, no doubt about it. And while a lot of that can be blamed to bad luck or to the lack of the training camps, I'd like to think it also shows a lack of discipline (and subsequently, coaching). Has any other team come close to as banged up as we are, besides maybe the Giants? Granted, they're playing very well through it all. And look at Green Bay, they won the SB last year and were really banged up themselves but pulled through the season.
            IDK how it shows a lack of discipline. My guess is the Rams just have bad luck with injuries honestly. Green Bay is the most talented team in the NFL. We're not even close to their level

3. Short offseason

You said it best, every other team faced the same thing. New offense, but that really shouldn't have been as big an issue as it has become IMO.
            Like I said, I think it was a big issue because it was Bradfords second scheme in two seasons.

4. Continuity

That's fine, and I do agree, but if Spags is allowed to continue accumulating his losses, the players are shown that there is no accountability. There has to be a way to show urgency to accumulating wins.
            Agreed

5. Fundamentals

Spags is just too soft. Fundamentals are fundamentals, that's the most obvious sign of coaching, or lack thereof. If he can't find a way to eliminate the issues with the fundamentals, he's not the right person for the job.
            He might be soft on camera, but I think its different in the locker room.

Just my 2 cents -- and at this rate, while I always want a win, I'd rather see us get a good draft position. Maybe even trade the #1 spot away for a king's ransom, but I don't think we'll be that "luck"y. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

-M$Ram
            Ya i think the Colts are a lock for Luck lol.

Nice post though sir. I like to see some intelligent debate.
            Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -11-07-2011, 09:46 PM. Reason: Fix quotes.

Comment

Umm yeah, I don't know how to do multiple quotes. Any help lol

Comment

Originally posted by RockinRam View Post
                Every team goes through injuries. It's part of the game. Good teams know how to adapt to the circumstances.

What happens if we get injuries next year? Do we yet again give Spag's another year by making the excuse that injuries happened, AGAIN?

There's less than 10 players left from the previous regime, and only a few of those are starters. The players we have now are Spags and Devaney's guys. Let's not use this rebuilding argument anymore. They've had 3 years, which is ample time.

Every team went through the short off-season, not just us. We don't hear other teams complain about it. They adapted, and had the passion and the mentality to work through it.

Only thing I would agree with. However, is a continuity of mediocre play good? I don't want to have continuity if all it promises is more average and crappy play.

Both the coach's fault and the players.

Frankly, I think I've seen all that I needed to see from his expressions, mentality, body language, actions, and how he conducts business.

I feel like I made pretty good points and you ignored them with your responses. I think we can win under him. Also, I don't think there's any HC candidates out there that are bulletproof. This is why after weighing the pro's and con's i would say give him one more chance. Thats just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
                  Note the sanity of this post.
                  Very well put, I've lost a bit of my sanctum when questioning Spags but I realized how good he was pulling the chains on defense. The offense just needs to get their heads out of their asses and even the special teams too at this point.
                  Right...If our offense could just FINISH last sunday. That game would've been a blowout.

Comment

Everyone melted down at the end. We lost using all three phases of the game. We let AZ get a TD. Offense couldn't convert short yardage. Josh Brown does the slow motion kick and gets blocked (yet again), then AZ's Peterson returns 99 yards for a TD.

Right...If our offense could just FINISH last sunday. That game would've been a blowout.

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaRam View Post
                      Everyone melted down at the end. We lost using all three phases of the game. We let AZ get a TD. Offense couldn't convert short yardage. Josh Brown does the slow motion kick and gets blocked (yet again), then AZ's Peterson returns 99 yards for a TD.
                      The cardinals score ONE td...ok and the defense had two safeties. I dont know how they melted down.Browns kick was blocked bc of penetration by a 6'8" monster. Watch the film. Special teams played great until the very late in the game. They never shouldve been in those situations in the first place though. The offense shouldve scored 7 atleast a couple times.

Comment

I appreciate the well thought-out post, Festus, and you make good points to support your position. There is a downside to unloading Steve Spagnuolo as far as sacrificing continuity and starting over with yet another new coach. But as far as I'm concerned, I have completely lost faith in Spags. His mannerisms, quotes after losses, and sideline demeanor show me he is not head coach material. When was the last time the Rams were in a close game and just came out in the 2nd half and kicked someone's ass? It hasn't happened. This is the direct result of a coach's inability to make successful halftime adjustments. And maybe the most damning indictment of Steve Spagnuolo is that coaches like Raheem Morris and Jim Harbaugh- guys that took over programs in bad shape- are winning. Ron Rivera is competitive with a crappy Carolina team. John Fox is hanging in there in Denver despite little talent and Tebow at QB. Todd Haley is winning with a Chiefs team many regarded as terrible to start the season. Yet Steve Spagnuolo goes out there and can't implement a game plan to put away a Cardinals team which is awful.

Patience and staying the course went out the window a long time ago. It seems like every year since 2003 there have been a myriad of reasons why this team can't get the job done- injuries, bad coaching, bad drafts, front office strife, rebuilding, you name it. I'm sick of it. Fans want wins. Fans want to be able to wear the colors with pride instead of being a laughingstock. Every team in the league faces injuries and circumstances which are less than ideal. Yes, the Rams have been hit harder than many and the lack of an off-season hurt teams who are rebuilding. But Cam Newton has been successful. It didn't hurt Alex Smith. Matthew Stafford is doing well. Ryan Fitzpatrick in Buffalo is a nice story.

I don't agree with the statement about there being "no coaches out there who are bulletproof". There are obviously no guarantees when it comes to coaching, but you have several high profile guys out there who have been successful eslewhere and who have won Super Bowls. And the past is filled with guys who were good coordinators who didn't cut it as a head coach. Spags appears to be one of them. The record and the performance speaks for itself.

Kroenke opened up the checkbook to bring in McDaniels and reinforcements at various positions following last year's hopeful 7-9 record. The result is a 1-7 record, a lousy offense and continued fan discontent. That isn't going to cut it in any business. The win against New Orleans was a mirage. That we can't beat teams like Arizona and Washington (who were playing back up QB's no less!) is a true indicator of just how dysfunctional this team is.

Like all fans, I want the Rams to do well and thought Spags was the guy for the job. Nearly three years later, I'm not convinced he's the long term answer.
                        Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -11-08-2011, 06:16 AM.

Comment

I feel like I made pretty good points and you ignored them with your responses. I think we can win under him. Also, I don't think there's any HC candidates out there that are bulletproof. This is why after weighing the pro's and con's i would say give him one more chance. Thats just my opinion.
                          I think I addressed them pretty well to tell you the truth.

The problem with giving him one more chance is that there's no more patience for him. Frankly, it might be too late for him.

Comment

Originally posted by RockinRam View Post
                            The problem with giving him one more chance is that there's no more patience for him. Frankly, it might be too late for him.
                            Your probably right...Either way if we do decide to go a different direction, I hope we get the right guy.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
                              I appreciate the well thought-out post, Festus, and you make good points to support your position. There is a downside to unloading Steve Spagnuolo as far as sacrificing continuity and starting over with yet another new coach. But as far as I'm concerned, I have completely lost faith in Spags. His mannerisms, quotes after losses, and sideline demeanor show me he is not head coach material. When was the last time the Rams were in a close game and just came out in the 2nd half and kicked someone's ass? It hasn't happened. This is the direct result of a coach's inability to make successful halftime adjustments. And maybe the most damning indictment of Steve Spagnuolo is that coaches like Raheem Morris and Jim Harbaugh- guys that took over programs in bad shape- are winning. Ron Rivera is competitive with a crappy Carolina team. John Fox is hanging in there in Denver despite little talent and Tebow at QB. Steve Spagnuolo goes out there and can't implement a game plan to put away a Cardinals team which is awful.

Patience and staying the course went out the window a long time ago. It seems like every year since 2003 there have been a myriad of reasons why this team can't get the job done- injuries, bad coaching, bad drafts, front office strife, rebuilding, you name it. I'm sick of it. Fans want wins. Fans want to be able to wear the colors with pride instead of being a laughingstock. Every team in the league faces injuries and circumstances which are less than ideal. Yes, the Rams have been hit harder than many and the lack of an off-season hurt teams who are rebuilding. But Cam Newton has been successful. It didn't hurt Alex Smith. Matthew Stafford is doing well. Ryan Fitzpatrick in Buffalo is a nice story.

I don't agree with the statement about there being "no coaches out there who are bulletproof". There are obviously no guarantees when it comes to coaching, but you have several high profile guys out there who have been successful eslewhere and who have won Super Bowls. And the past is filled with guys who were good coordinators who didn't cut it as a head coach. Spags appears to be one of them. The record and the performance speaks for itself.

Kroenke opened up the checkbook to bring in McDaniels and reinforcements at various positions following last year's hopeful 7-9 record. The result is a 1-7 record, a lousy offense and continued fan discontent. That isn't going to cut it in any business. The win against New Orleans was a mirage. That we can't beat teams like Arizona and Washington (who were playing back up QB's no less!) is a true indicator of just how dysfunctional this team is.

Like all fans, I want the Rams to do well and thought Spags was the guy for the job. Nearly three years later, I'm not convinced he's the long term answer.
                              A great post, which just about sums it up for me.

I think the biggest thing that bothers people is that, after last season and our pre-season, we expected better. We didn't expect a title, we just expected better than this.

I was pacing a classroom with htc in hand viewing NFL mobile and we were 13-6 up and I knew, I just knew we'd screw it up. Quite how badly we'd screw it up, I didn't expect but screw it up we did.

I made myself watch it on game-pass later.

You can say we're snake-bit, you can say we had injuries, you can say we had a short off-season and I understand all of these things but given the treatment we've meted out to coaches past on these boards I'm struggling to see how Spags gets any kind of pass.

We failed dismally in the 4th qtr through all three phases of the game against a very poor Cardinals team led by John Skelton and this came on the back-end of a great win against the Saints. We were told at the time that we'd seen the 'real rams', and that they weren't 'that' kind of Rams team. You know, the kind that gets described as 'sorry assed'.

Well if the 4th quarter meltdown we has against the Cards doesn't qualify as 'sorry assed', I'd be happy to accept an alternative that equates to what I had the misfortune to witness when I got home. We actually looked as if we were trying to lose.

Generally, I'm a fairly positive soul, as many of you know, but this, this just isn't acceptable.

Comment