X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do they come up with this stuff

From the Miami Herald:

Coaching job draws interest of top coaches

Sources said coaches Mike Shanahan, Mike Holmgren and Mike Martz -- all Super Bowl winners -- could be interested in the Dolphins' opening.

BY JASON COLE

[email protected]

While speculation regarding the next Dolphins coach has revolved around up-and-coming candidates such as Louisiana State's Nick Saban and Charlie Weis of New England, more experienced leadership might be available as well.

Sources close to head coaches Mike Shanahan of Denver, Mike Holmgren of Seattle and Mike Martz of St. Louis have said those coaches would be interested in the Dolphins if their coaching situations don't work out this season.

''You're talking about one of the premier franchises in the NFL and an owner [Wayne Huizenga] who gives his coaches the freedom to do pretty much anything they want,'' a source close to Holmgren said. ``It's a great situation. One of the best in the league.''

This is hardly the first time top-level coaches have cast a longing eye toward the Dolphins. In the mid-1990s, Jimmy Johnson made it well-known he wanted to succeed Don Shula, and he tacitly undermined Shula toward the end of Shula's run as coach.

Likewise, before joining Dallas last season, Bill Parcells was interested in the Dolphins job. Parcells made no overtures to Huizenga at the time out of respect for Dave Wannstedt, who resigned Tuesday after the team's 1-8 start.

''The history of the Dolphins really appealed to Parcells,'' a source close to Parcells said last year. ``He would have loved to work for the same franchise Don Shula ran. The tradition is great, and he loved the talent they had on defense.''

SHANAHAN'S SITUATION

On Tuesday, Shanahan's name was linked to the Dolphins in a report by NFL Network's Adam Schefter, a former Broncos beat writer for The Denver Post who is close to Shanahan and Denver owner Pat Bowlen.

The scenario Schefter laid out was that if Shanahan, who got a contract extension from Denver last offseason after a dalliance with the University of Florida, fails to make the playoffs or win a playoff game, he could be on the outs with Bowlen. The Broncos have not won a playoff game since the 1998 season, when they won the second of back-to-back Super Bowls with quarterback John Elway.

Shanahan, who co-authored a book with Schefter, said Wednesday he was flabbergasted by the report and that Schefter had not discussed it with him before it aired.

Said Shanahan: ``I think what [Schefter] was saying, after listening to it, is that if Pat wanted me to go and things didn't work out, that I would have to go find a job somewhere and it might be Miami. That's what it sounded like to me.''

HOLMGREN AND MARTZ

Similarly, Holmgren and Martz are under pressure to produce after their organizations extended themselves to hire them. Holmgren, who led Green Bay to a Super Bowl title in 1996, is in his sixth season with Seattle after being given what was then the highest-paying coaching contract in NFL history.

As for Martz, he and St. Louis president John Shaw have had an increasingly tense relationship. Martz was offensive coordinator for the Rams' Super Bowl champions in the 1999 season and was promoted after the season to replace Dick Vermeil.

Martz led St. Louis to the Super Bowl after the 2001 season, losing to New England, but the Rams have been inconsistently successful under Martz.

The important element to all three coaches: strong offensive backgrounds. One of Dolphins management's top offseason priorities is to rebuild the offense after a season of chaos on that side of the ball.

Beginning with the departure of former offensive coordinator Norv Turner in January, the Dolphins offense has been in constant flux. Much of that has been uncontrollable, such as Joel Collier's illness that led to the Chris Foerster's promotion, and the retirement of Ricky Williams.

Some of it has been controllable, such as the decision to trade for quarterback A.J. Feeley and then keep Jay Fiedler, which created competition and controversy. There also was the decision to remake the offensive line with so many young players.

But will a high-profile coach be called in to fix the problems? There might be a couple of hold-ups. First, Huizenga seemingly has become more reluctant to hire coaches who have won Super Bowls elsewhere. Weeb Ewbank is the only coach in NFL history to win championships with different teams.

Before the 2003 season, Huizenga, who saw Johnson quit twice during his tenure with the Dolphins, said one of the things he liked most about Wannstedt was that he hadn't won a Super Bowl as a head coach. Theoretically, that made Wannstedt hungrier to win one.

The second issue might be general manager Rick Spielman, whose personnel decisions have been questioned around the NFL. The perception of Spielman could change if the Dolphins offense improves drastically in the second half of the season. But coaches such as Shanahan and Holmgren have had extensive personnel power and likely would want their own person in a GM-type job.

On Thursday, Huizenga, through team president Eddie Jones, said nothing will stand in the way of getting the best coach possible, even if that means dismissing Spielman.
    I don't even see a quote from Martz in this article...
    This space for rent...

Re: Where do they come up with this stuff

Cole's a hack. You can ignore this. I guarantee you, if there was any truth to this, the guy who'd be reporting it is Hank Goldberg.

Comment

I hear colin powell is now available. I wonder if according to the author of the article, he was also considering the dolphins job.

general counsel

Comment

I'm sure the article has no basis, but Martz would be a good fit for the dolphins...They've got a great defense and could use an offensive "guru".

Too bad for them, we're gonna keep the mad man for a couple more years!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
          Martz to be latest Dolphins candidate
          by RamWraith
          By Greg A. Bedard

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The Dolphins have interiewed nine candidates so far to find Nick Saban's replacement, and will make it an even 10 when Detroit Lions offensive coordinator and former St. Louis Rams head coach Mike Martz speaks to the Dolphins this week, according to a source.

The meeting, which will take place in Detroit, will likely come Thursday.

Martz, 56, compiled a 53-32 record with the Rams from 2000-2005 and a 3-4 mark in the post-season.

He led St. Louis to a 14-2 record in 2001 but was upset by the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl.

The Rams made the playoffs in four of Martz's six seasons as coach.

In 2005, Martz led the Rams to a 2-3 mark before a bacterial infection in his heart forced him to take a leave of absence.

Martz, who reportedly had several clashes with the front office, was let go after the season with one year remaining on his contract.

Martz was the Rams' offensive coordinator in 1999 when the team won the Super Bowl, thanks to Martz's offense, which was dubbed "The Greatest Show on Turf."
          -01-09-2007, 05:17 PM
        • RamWraith
          Martz says he's not interested in Dolphins' coaching job
          by RamWraith
          CHEW ON THIS ALL YOU MARTZ BASHERS OUT THERE!!!
          You all better get used to the big guy...cause he is staying....WAAAHOOO!!!!!!

By JIM THOMAS

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Rams coach Mike Martz and team president John Shaw shot down a Miami Herald story about Martz's potential candidacy for the Dolphins' head-coaching job.

Citing sources close to three head coaches, the Herald reported Monday that Martz, Seattle's Mike Holmgren and Denver's Mike Shanahan would be interested in coaching the Dolphins next season if their current coaching situations did not work out.

On Tuesday, Martz denied that was the case. "I have no interest in coaching anyplace else," he said. "This is our home."

When asked Tuesday if there was any chance Martz would be available at the end of this season, Shaw replied: "Zero."

When asked if he has had any contact with Miami officials about the possibility of Martz being available, Shaw replied: "Zero."

At times outspoken and controversial, Martz has been a lightning rod for criticism and praise throughout his 4 1/2-year tenure as Rams head coach. With the Rams in the midst of an up-and-down 5-4 season, there has been frequent speculation by NFL observers and journalists about his job security in St. Louis.

"I'm perplexed that there would be any speculation about his status," Shaw said. "He's averaged 10 wins a season as a head coach. How many victories did we average here (in St. Louis) before 1999? Five?"

The Rams went 22-42 in their first four seasons in St. Louis (1995-98), an average of 5.5 victories a year.

"If people think it's easy to win 10 games a year in the NFL, then they don't understand the league," Shaw said. "I think Mike's doing really well. I feel that he has the team in position to compete for a playoff spot and win the division."

Following this season, Martz has two years left on his contract, at $3.5 million a year in 2005 and `06.

Dave Wannstedt resigned as Dolphins coach last week, and defensive coordinator Jim Bates was named interim head coach.
          -11-17-2004, 12:01 PM
        • Nick
          Dolphins head coach Nick Saban accepts University of Alabama job
          by Nick
          After repeated denials, Saban takes Bama job
          ESPN.com news services
          Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Nick Saban has accepted an offer from Alabama to coach the Crimson Tide and leave the Miami Dolphins, two weeks after declaring "I'm not going to be the Alabama coach."

Saban's agreement with Alabama is for eight years and a fully-guaranteed $32 million, according to ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli. Saban can potentially earn an additional $700,000 to $800,000 annually in bowl-game bonuses.

Saban told team owner Wayne Huizenga of his decision in a face-to-face meeting Wednesday morning. Saban then informed all of his coaches by speakerphone that he was leaving the franchise to coach Alabama.

In a news conference at the team's facility, Huizenga told reporters he was not upset by Saban's departure.

"It is what it is. We have to move forward," Huizenga said. "We want the best for Nick and [his wife] Terry. I like Nick a lot and think he could have won here. I'm a Nick Saban fan."

As of late Wednesday morning, Saban was not yet headed to Tuscaloosa for a formal introduction.

"All indications are that he's coming, but I know they're not in the air yet," an Alabama athletic department official told ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach.

Saban had issued repeated denials that he was interested in coaching Alabama, one of the most high-profile and high-pressure college coaching jobs in the country. After he turned down the Tide in early December, they offered the job to Rich Rodriguez, but he decided to stay at West Virginia.

Alabama made a formal offer Monday after rumors swirled for weeks that the Crimson Tide were continuing their pursuit of the former LSU coach, who spent five seasons in Baton Rouge before leaving for the NFL. Saban was 48-16 at LSU and won the 2003 BCS national championship.

He walks away from the Dolphins with three years left on a deal worth approximately $4.5 million a year.

In the past, Huizenga has been persuasive when dealing with coaches. He talked Don Shula into retirement in 1996, talked Jimmy Johnson out of retiring three years later -- Johnson lasted one more season -- and was able to lure Saban to the pros in 2004 after other NFL teams had failed.

But this time, Huizenga failed to change Saban's mind.

"First of all this was never about money," Huizenga said. "It's never been about money, Nick never talked to me about money, Nick never talked to me about an extension. I honestly believe this was not about money.

Saban was 15-17 without a playoff appearance in his two seasons as Dolphins coach.

"In my opinion, the Dolphins have always been about winning. I just want everyone to know that it's really all about winning now," Huizenga said. "I don't...
          -01-03-2007, 11:15 AM
        • RamWraith
          Rams expect tough game in their bid to keep Miami winless
          by RamWraith
          By Jim Thomas
          Of the Post-Dispatch
          10/23/2004
          MIAMI - First Seattle, then Tampa Bay. Now Miami. For the third week in a row, the Rams are playing a top 10 defense. And for coach Mike Martz, the quality is evident as soon as he pops in the tape.

Even before he starts the particulars of breaking down an opposing defense, Martz looks for signs of intensity, how players run to the ball and finish plays, what's happening on the line of scrimmage and what the technique of the defensive backs is like.

"There's a lot of things I like to look at before I even look at structure, just on the attitude and how they play the game," Martz said. "And these guys, on defense, they look like a 6-0 team. This is a hard nut to crack. They're a really good group."

The Dolphins, of course, are considerably south of 6-0. We're talking tip of Argentina, not far from Antarctica, south. At 0-6, they are the NFL's only winless team. So Martz's words may be nothing more than a motivational ploy designed to prevent any letdown by his players.

But for those who think 0-6 is 0-6, Martz offers these words:

"If you had to line up and put your hand on the ground against Jason Taylor, you wouldn't be worried about their record," Martz said.

No, you'd be worried about survival. Taylor is a two-time Pro Bowl defensive end who has 56 1/2 sacks since the start of the 2000 season. He's joined on the Miami defensive line by tackle Tim Bowens, a two-time Pro Bowler who is tough to budge at 325 pounds. He just returned to the lineup after missing five games with a back injury.

At middle linebacker, Zach Thomas is a five-time Pro Bowler who some observers think is enjoying the best season of his career. At weakside linebacker is future Hall of Famer Junior Seau, who may be on the down side of his career at 35, but remains a productive player, is a threat on the blitz, and is more comfortable with the system in his second season with Miami.

The secondary includes four-time Pro Bowler Sam Madison and two-time Pro Bowler Patrick Surtain at cornerback.

So any ineptness in Miami is strictly limited to the offensive side of the football. As usual, the "D" in Dolphins stands for defense. Miami enters Sunday's game with the Rams ranked No. 3 in the NFL in total defense, and No. 1 in passing defense. Miami is yielding only 17.8 points a game, and no one has scored more than 24 points against them this season. Those kinds of numbers usually aren't associated with 0-6.

"We realize that they're a dangerous team," wide receiver Isaac Bruce said. "They have one of the better defenses in the league. We're going to go in with that mindset, and make sure we play like that. ... We're definitely going to respect them. Because in the NFL, anything can happen. We've seen that many...
          -10-24-2004, 04:54 AM
        • RamWraith
          Parcells signs deal with Dolphins
          by RamWraith
          Ex-coach agrees to contract to be V.P. of football ops
          Posted: Thursday December 20, 2007 11:00AM; Updated: Thursday December 20, 2007 4:04PM

DAVIE, Fla. (AP) -- Bill Parcells led Super Bowl winners from the sideline. The Miami Dolphins hope he'll do the same from the front office.

Parcells signed a four-year contract Thursday to lead the Dolphins' football operations, one day after turning down essentially the same role with the Atlanta Falcons.

The two-time Super Bowl champion coach will report directly to Miami owner Wayne Huizenga, whose affinity for big-name help now has led him to Parcells -- a 66-year-old former coach of four NFL clubs who owns a home in South Florida and now has a job there, too.

"He has a proven track record of success everywhere he has been in the National Football League," Huizenga said. "And his football acumen will help put the Miami Dolphins franchise back among the elite of the NFL."

On Wednesday, the expectation around the league was that Parcells would take over in Atlanta, with even some reports saying the deal was done. By the afternoon, however, the deal had fallen apart and the Dolphins moved quickly to get Parcells to sign a contract.

"I'm honored to join such an illustrious franchise as the Miami Dolphins and to work for one of the best owners in the league in Wayne Huizenga," Parcells said. "He shares my same commitment to winning and I told him I would do everything I can to help turn around the team's fortunes."

The team made the announcement shortly after the locker room was closed for the day, and roughly 45 minutes after Dolphins coach Cam Cameron sidestepped at least a half-dozen questions about Parcells _ even refusing to say if he's ever met the coach.

"There will potentially be a time to have that discussion," Cameron said. "Today, I don't see it as being that day or this time."

Parcells will be formally introduced by the Dolphins on Dec. 27, the team said.

His arrival has taken virtually all the attention off the Dolphins' game at New England on Sunday. But even as it appeared certain Parcells was coming, players didn't say much on the hot topic.

Televisions were off in the locker room after practice Thursday; that wasn't the case 24 hours earlier, when Parcells' face was splashed across the screens as news broke he was weighing Huizenga's offer.

Few players wanted to speak about Parcells, and those who did generally offered the company line, that the Dolphins are only thinking about Sunday's game at New England.

"Any more questions about New England?" defensive back Jason Allen asked.

Miami started 0-13 before beating Baltimore last weekend. The roster already seemed certain for an...
          -12-20-2007, 04:57 PM
        Working...
        X