Bolgers development-can we give martz some credit please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolgers development-can we give martz some credit please

As one of the pro martz people on the board (no, i dont agree with everything he does, but i think on the whole he is a very good coach), i thought i would give martz some credit for bulgers development. He started with raw material, hardly a sought after high draft pick, and for the second time (see kurt warner) has him well on his way to being a special player and a championship caliber qb.

If nothing else, martz should get some credit on the bulger front.

general counsel

Re: Bolgers development-can we give martz some credit please

Martz definitely has a way with QB's, however, I saw Bulger in his first year play a few series in pre-season down in San Diego. The Rams got the ball around their own 5 yard line, and back's agains the wall, Bulger stood poised in the pocket and threw an out to Bruce for a first down that threaded the needle. The angle from my seat was such that you could see the level of difficulty on that pass, and instantly I thought "man even our 3rd guy has poise in the pocket and accuracy". (I believe we had Kurt and Trent at the time?).

But most of the credit goes to the man himself. Way to go Marc. Seattle may have a bit of an edge with a lot of home games remaining, but this team made a statement this week. Had they lost, it could have signaled the beginning of the end for Martz, and I think way this team responded means Martz will be the man in STL for awhile. I 1000% agree with the wednesday pads thing, as I often feel that teams simply out-physical these Rams. It's a battle out there, you can't take it lightly.

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel
      If nothing else, martz should get some credit on the bulger front.
      Come get me at the end of the year on this one. It was about this time last year where MB arguably was in regression. The verdict is still out on MB. The line is still the wild card when it comes down to MB handling the pressure on a consistent basis. But you did say "some credit," so in fairness, eMnM has not turned to Chandler yet. That is in sMartz' credit I suppose.

Comment

I do think it is fair to say marc is playing better this year, I am sure his stats are better than last years, also this years D is not as good as lasts so he doen't get as much help on the other side of the ball.

Rp
        The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

Comment

Originally posted by rampower
          I do think it is fair to say marc is playing better this year, I am sure his stats are better than last years, also this years D is not as good as lasts so he doen't get as much help on the other side of the ball.

Rp

2-TD's 3-INT's Look out Peyton!

Comment

so, an intelligent reply PTHOR, is he playing better or not?
            The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

You Want to give Martz credit?
              by Guest
              From the start of this season any win the Rams get should be credited to Martz. No more does he have superior talent over the rest of the league. That said, if he gets this thing into the playoffs after all that has happened this year and everything he has had to overcome then he should get the credit for it without argument. It shows he can get it done on an even playing field. I hope like hell we are heaping acolades on Martz after tomorrow. I think this will be the case, I really do.
              -01-01-2005, 10:10 PM
            • AvengerRam_old
              Martz: "I'm not quitting."
              by AvengerRam_old
              Martz: I'm not quitting

R.B. FALLSTROM

Associated Press

ST. LOUIS - As bleak as the situation looks, there's no giving up for St. Louis Rams coach Mike Martz.

Martz, whose fifth season with the team has been a semi-disaster, on Monday had a strong rebuttal to an ESPN report that he might consider quitting. The Rams were among the preseason Super Bowl favorites after going 12-4 last year but are 6-8 heading into the final two games.

"I would never resign from this job," Martz said. "I love this job and I would never leave these guys. We've got a real solid crew of young players and it's going to eventually be a terrific team, and I'm not going to ever walk away from something like that."

Martz has two years left on a contract that pays him $3.5 million annually, and he noted that he's financially secure.

"I coach because I want to coach, and I love being here," Martz said. "That hasn't changed. We're going to forge on and get this thing back up and running the way it should be.

"I'm one of those guys where that glass is always half-full and not empty. Sometimes it's hard to look at it like that but no, no, this guy's not going anywhere. No way, Jose."

Martz is 51-32, counting the playoffs, since leading the Rams to their first Super Bowl championship as Dick Vermeil's offensive coordinator in 1999 and led the Rams to a 14-2 record and his own Super Bowl in 2002. This year has unraveled due to big problems early on with shaky defense and special teams, and lately with what used to be a high-powered offense.

But this is where he wants to stay. Martz noted that earlier in the season he shot down speculation he'd be interested in the Dolphins vacancy.

"This is where I want to retire," Martz said. "I have no interest in ever coaching for any other NFL team. We love living here, we love the organization."

Martz hopes the return of quarterback Marc Bulger after missing two weeks with a bruised right shoulder can reinvigorate an offense that produced one touchdown while he was out. Bulger threw again on Monday with minimal problems.

"He's ready to go," Martz said. "He's got very little effect on the followthrough, which is really the biggest concern."

Backup Chris Chandler, 39, has been a major disappointment and might get released. He threw six interceptions last week in a loss at Carolina, then got yanked after going 1-for-6 for 1 yard and producing zero first downs in the first quarter of Sunday's 31-7 loss at Arizona.

Jamie Martin, signed on Dec. 7 after being out of the NFL for more than a year, is the likely backup this week after playing the last three quarters on Sunday.

"I believe in him," Martz said. "He's...
              -12-20-2004, 04:48 PM
            • GasBag
              How long before Martz ruins Rams?
              by GasBag
              Forum rules:

"By clicking the Agree button, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws."

You might consider this as obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws, but is intended as a legitimate question for those that care the most about the Rams.

How long will you allow Martz to run down the Rams before you insist he be fired?
              -09-07-2001, 08:04 AM
            • AvengerRam_old
              My concern about Martz
              by AvengerRam_old
              I was listening to Mike Martz's postgame comments. He expressed his disappointment and concerns in an even-tempered, logical and thoughtful manner.

Maybe... that's the problem.

I want him to be ticked off. I want him to be embarrassed. I want him to be irate.

Now, obviously I don't know how Martz is in the locker room as compared to in front of the camera or microphone, so perhaps I'm off base here. But it seems to me that this team needs to get fired up and angry.

Its great to have the best talent and a technical prowess to out-think the opponent. But that is not always going to be the situation, and when its not (as is likely the case this year) you need to beat the opponent with fire and effort!

Come on, Mike... get angry!!!!!!!!!!
              -09-19-2004, 02:41 PM
            • bruce4life
              At least this certain someone had balls...
              by bruce4life
              Mr.mike martz....

When he coached you always knew that we would at least be competitive.... Enoug said
              -12-06-2011, 08:40 AM
            Working...
            X