Now That I've Cooled Off...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now That I've Cooled Off...

The results of the game with the 'Aints are inexcusable and unacceptable. That means I am inconsolable. There cannot be any consolation from this game, nor do I see any positives coming from it. However, here are some observations that I have come away with now that I've had some time to cool off and think objectively:

1) I am FED UP with hearing regularly about the "ball maintenance" drills these guys run every DAY in practice, only to watch them cough it up week after week. Obviously it isn't working - so, Mr. Martz, FIND SOMETHING THAT DOES!

2) I never cared for Bobby April when he was in Pittsburgh. I liked him less in Atlanta, even less in New Orleans, and I am convinced he must have pictures of someone naked with a hooker to be able to stay in the NFL. Who deemed this guy a guru? Every week we can count on opponents starting at least 2 possessions outside their own 35 after kickoffs. You can look it up.

3) Was it just me, or did Canidate seem totally exhausted by half time? I thought Martz said he planned to rotate backs a little more. I think being tired contributed greatly to his struggles. As tired as he looked, I just KNEW it was only a matter of time before he put it on the carpet.

4) The dropped passes are unforgiveable. When you get that much $, catch the dang ball, ESPECIALLY when you're trying to keep control and move the chains.

5) 1st and 10 near midfield, up 24-6, and a fumble. The defense holds on 4 straight downs, again near midfield, and an INT. Control the @#$% ball, and put the game away ASAP! Blowing a 24 point lead at HOME is unforgiveable.

6) I don't care what those two-toothed, cousin-marrying morons in Louisiana say, all the 'aints proved Sunday is they need 8 turnovers to beat us. Had they gotten only 7, they'd STILL have lost. How does that sit with you 'aint fans - knowing you only got 1 or 2 "takeaways" - you know @#$% well those were "giveaways" (i.e., you didn't TAKE, we GAVE)?

7) This game convinced me of one thing - the only team good enough to beat the Rams, is the Rams. There is no consolation in this, neither do I consider it a positive since they were SO @#$% willing to do just that.

Out for now. Peace!

Hey djccon,

First of all, love your enthusiasm. We as Rams fans have to be rabid when it is time to be. However, we tend to be spoiled lately, so don't be so harsh as to the inexcusable and unacceptable behavior of the Rams in the second half of this game. If they are going to have a brain fart, better now than later. Every team we have played so far this year (except for maybe the Dolphins) have given us their best shot. That was the best game the Saints have played all year. When we went up 24-6, you could sense it that we were becoming lazy in our offensive effort. I have never played the game, but I am sure it is tough to stay at the "MaxQ" level every game. We just got beat. Ok. Guess what? We are still 6-1. Still in first in the division, and still have home field advantage capabilities for the playoffs. This loss was coming, and more will come I am sure. However, playoffs are around the corner. Get ready for real this time. Don't back in on a 54 yrd Bears FG.

Comment

great post djccon

Excellent observations, thanks djccon!

As fan(atic)s we all love Martz, but it is definitely okay to question what's going on, too. Agreed that the only team that can beat the Rams is the Rams, and it's because they lack discipline.

Stupid penalties, not taking care of the ball well enough & bad special teams is a direct reflection on the coaching. Your comment re Bobby April was outstanding! He's proven himself overrated thus far. The only thing positive I've seen resulting from April's hiring is that Hakim isn't coughing up punts (although I saw Hakim in the Saints game looking at the coverage instead of the ball again during a fair catch, so I tend to think we've actually been lucky in this department). The kickoff coverage is ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC. Might as well do an onsides kick every friggin' time.

The Rams' great talent has an element of a trade-off in that along with that talent is some lack of discipline. But Martz shouldn't be cavalier about it. It would be a waste of all that great talent if our lack of discipline keeps us from another Super Bowl, and he should be preaching that to the guys.

Comment

Peace...

Yes, peace Djccon. You've made good and true observations.

Your frustration is justified and well understood (honest). But I suspect the St. Louis Rams will soon change all that; they WILL get their act together yet! We're with you, hang in there! And...
        GO RAMS!!! ;)

Comment

Stayed away from the forum a couple of days to deal with my frustrations. You helped me revent them, djccon, thankyou. I feel better. Can we all put this one behind us and look forward to a Super Bowl run? I am.

Comment

excellent observations djccon, but we're not even half way yet, give it a couple weeks:mask:

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• StRams
              Excuses?
              by StRams
              Ok, heres my take on the loss.

First and foremost...I hated it...it made me sick, especially since we were about 10 yards from tying it up at least.

Should we ever have been in that position..NO. But alas we were.

Ok heres my reasons, excuses, rationale...ect.

1. OVER CONFIDENCE: On the road first game, against a division rival. You can look at this both ways, but I do believe that both teams were up for this game..however, I think its a bit easier to believe that We (the Rams) were a bit over-confident coming in that this should be a win. The 9ers had something to prove...A bit of over achieving perhaps..and a bit of underestimating on our part.

2. PREPERATION: The 9ers had all sorts of tape to watch on us...basically other then jackson, we havnt changed our stripes year after year..same ole Rams...hard to prepare for, but at least San Fran new what to expect.

We on the other hand had nothing to prepare for. 1st games of the season are hard like that, becuase you dont know what to expect..Niners are basically a different team then last year..new Def...new personel...I think we were at a major disadvantage in that regard.

3. 3-4 DEFENSE:..This mixed in with the 4-3 at times to keep us off balance stymied(sp) us, and always has...Martz needs to play call better against this...but again (see above) hard to prepare when you dont really know what your opponent is capable of.

4. SPECIAL TEAMS: Dont know what to say other then...they are poor poor poor. Take away that punt return, and we win..or at the very least its a different ball game.

Im sure there are other reasons, I dont think any team in the NFL is as bad, or as good as everyone thinks...Circumstances and various other factors combine to equal wins and losses every week. Hopefully this is a wakeup call...we will adjust , we will be better prepared for the Cards...and we will go on to have a good season.

There were as many +'s as -'s yesterday, and we can hopefully build on those...and work to remedy the bad.

Common guys, as much as we hate to admit it..Its the 9ers on the road, 1st game...To me it had all the makings of an upset. How many times in the past have we snuck up on the 9ers when we sucked...maybe nmot wins, but gave them hard games.

I'm going to take this one with a grain of salt...not worried (yet).

GO RAMS!
              -09-12-2005, 06:43 AM
            • jdpbmo
              don't blame Martz
              by jdpbmo
              Well, where to begin. First, Martz didn't commit the 8 turnovers. Second, he didn't jump offsides with 2 minutes to play to seal the doom. How can a team be so utterly, utterly amazing in one half and look like the bad news bears in football gear the next? And we were stupid enough to have the false illusions of going undefeated, 19-0. I don't mean to speak for others, but it popped into my head a time or two. What was Warner doing today? Did he forget who he was supposed to throw to? And then when he was on target the receivers dropped the ball. And when he was on target and the receivers caught it, they soon fumbled it. I would much rather lose a game like we played against NYG than lose like we did today. As bad as they played, they would have won the game. There is no doubt in my mind that we were going to drive the field and either score a game-winning touchdown or at least a field goal to tie it up and send it to overtime where we would win.....if they just don't jump offsides. I would fine McCleon $1 million dollars...not for the mistake, but for being stupid. If he stays on side, NO kicks the field goal and we get the ball back for the game winning score...no doubt about it. It's a shame we have a game like this. NO deserves the credit for their comback and the Rams deserve exactly what they got-a loss. Martz can only call the plays, he can't throw it, catch it, hold onto it, or tackle. over and out jd
              -10-28-2001, 05:14 PM
            • RamWraith
              Martz on the Mike
              by RamWraith
              Head Coach Mike Martz
              Tuesday, September 21, 2004

(Opening comments)
              “Obviously we are disappointed with the game yesterday. I think that they got us on our heels in all three phases. On the road, this team needs to learn to fight back. I think we did that and got the game back to 17-17, then we just did not make a play on the reverse and a couple of other things happened offensively, and we didn’t finish this thing the way you would like to see it. There are some lessons to be learned from this game. We have gone through a lot of things with our players today. There were a lot of mistakes in this game. More mistakes than we would’ve thought. We prepared well, and again, in that environment, we just didn’t see it on the field. We just need to put this one to bed, learn from it, and get ready for the Saints.”

(On responding to a loss)
              “We have been in so many of these games in the last five or six years, that our veterans, Isaac (Bruce), Torry, (Holt), and Marshall (Faulk), know how to respond. What’s happened, has happened. Now you just have to go back and make the corrections. We understand what we need to do this week to get it done, now the process begins.”

(On giving up a score after tying the game)
              “I felt we were in positions to make plays, and didn’t do it. We had some penalties. This was problematic throughout the game. Whether it’s a face mask penalty or a false start, you just can’t have those, particularly in critical times. And we made mistakes at critical times that you just can’t make. When the game is that close, and there is a play there to be made, you just have to make that play. When we needed to make a play, we couldn’t make it. You need to learn from that. There are a lot of things that need to straighten out.

(On playing on the road)
              “I think that a young team like this, particularly on defense, where we have a lot of young players, have not had that kind of adversity. When you get down like that, you cannot panic and you just have to stay focused, and know how to respond. You need to teach them how to respond. They need to learn that lesson. On the sideline, it was real good when we were on our way back to tying that game up. We just need to finish it at that point. And again, making plays that are critical in the game, that’s the most critical game of the year right there. At that point you need to step up and make those plays.”

(On stopping the run)
              “A lot of those two-back runs were at the end of the game were, obviously, a let down. Before that they were averaging about three yards a rush. Their two-back run against the defense was, below what you would want as a football team. Vick, that whole situation, really hurt us. They did a nice job of changing up what they do and getting (Vick) out to the perimeter and challenging us out there. We made a couple of changes at half-time,...
              -09-22-2004, 05:06 AM
            • RamWraith
              Martz on the Mike
              by RamWraith
              Head Coach Mike Martz
              Tuesday, October 12, 2004

(Opening statement)
              “Obviously this is a terrific win for this football team and organization. It means a lot in many respects. We are getting better, they did not get disillusioned. There were a lot of young players that learned how to compete, and stay in it. We had some players show up in this game that made plays to help us win this game. Guys like (Shaun) McDonald, Kevin Curtis, of course Brandon (Manumaleuna) with his touchdown catch, and Steven Jackson. DeJuan Groce came in and just did an outstanding job. We’re making progress, and we’re getting better. I know the first half didn’t turn come out the way any of us wanted, but they didn’t give up. When we went in at halftime, it was what we needed to do, it’s a step-by-step process, and here’s how we need to go about it, and they weren’t discouraged, and of course they were able to get the job done. I was very happy and pleased with the effort and how hard they played in the second half. When we had to make a play, somebody made a play. I was very pleased with the effort of the offensive line, particularly Grant Williams in the second half. He gave up a sack in the first half, and a rush on that side, but he came back in the second half and was outstanding on the right side. He was a major reason that Marc (Bulger) was able to move around and make some of the throws that he did. It was a great effort overall as a football team. I though special teams was very solid, the punt return was huge, and I though we covered their kickoffs very well. It was just a solid effort on the kickoff returns. It was Sean Landeta’s best effort so far, in my opinion, in terms of punting the ball. He had great hang time and distance, and there was only one return. Second half, we just need to continue from there, and continue to build. Offensive player of the game, although he had three interceptions, is Marc Bulger. To have three interceptions and to come back and compete and to play at the level that he did, and make those kinds of plays under pressure, is clearly a statement about not just what type of person he is, but the incredible player that he is. Special teams wise, Eric Flowers, four tackles on special teams, just an incredible job. Just a special mention for Trev Faulk again, he had three (tackles). Our defensive player of the game, Tommy Polley, with 10 tackles and a pass broken up. Just a great comeback by Tommy, he was out with a fractured rib, and did a great job coming back and making his presence felt on this football team. All in all obviously it was a terrific win for us, but as all games at this point, we have to have a short memory and get ready for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers here on Monday night.”

(On Seattle’s defense on third down)
              “They changed quite a bit on third downs. They changed every third down. One was pressure, one was two, one was four, one was man, they changed everything. It all...
              -10-13-2004, 05:26 AM
            • jjigga3000
              PUTTING THE SLEEPER TO BED (LONG READ) but good read
              by jjigga3000
              PUTTING THE SLEEPER TO BED.
              By Bill Simmons
              Page 2
              www.espn.com

After five weeks of the 2006 NFL season, we've only learned 10 things:

1. If you're a QB, and you blow out a knee or smack your body up in a motorcycle accident, definitely take your time coming back. No rush. Seriously.

2. The Bears have a chance to be historically good.

3. The Raiders have a chance to be historically bad.

4. Drew Bledsoe has added a degree of difficulty for blowing big games. In the old days, he'd just throw a back-breaking interception at the worst possible time. But since everyone knows that's coming now, he added a fascinating wrinkle: An improbable play to throw us off and make us forget he's about to blow the game (like last week's fourth-and-18 bomb to Glenn), followed by the back-breaking interception that becomes doubly back-breaking because of the preceding events.

WEEK 5 REDUX
              Last week's picks found me on the wrong side of three killer gambling moments:

1. With the Pats giving 10 and headed for a push, Maroney gets a game-clinching first down inside Miami's 20, only nobody tackles him, so he keeps going and it looks like he's going to score ... NO! He gets pushed out at the 4-yard line. That's followed by three Brady kneels.

2. The Browns are getting 8.5 points and trailing by 11. Fourth down, 15 seconds left. Instead of taking one more crack at the end zone, Romeo Crennel sends out the FG team for the cover. This actually happened.

3. The killer of killers: Getting 6.5 points, the Lions are trailing by two at midfield and it's fourth-and-10 with less than 90 seconds to play. Kitna scrambles, two guys pull him down ... and as he's falling, he flips it right to a Vikings lineman, who scrambles untouched for a clinching TD and the cover. I hate gambling.

5. You're not winning a Super Bowl with Brett Favre or Steve McNair. They're both washed up. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's true.

6. San Diego has the most talent in the AFC. Unfortunately, the Chargers also have an uptight coach who runs his team about as loosely as Ted Knight handled his daughters in "Too Close For Comfort."

(Note: Sadly, that show was canceled 21 years ago, making the reference Bermanian for everyone younger than 30. Normally I avoid doing this, but I have two defenses: First, it's the perfect comparison. You really had to see the show. And second, Ted Knight was a comedic genius. So I'm standing by the reference. Now if I only had a clip of me and Glenn Frey standing outside the Hotel California. Back to the column.)

7. If you're getting points with the Lions on the road and covering in the final minute, and the Lions have the ball, and they're driving, and the only way you could ever lose is if Jon Kitna fumbles a touchdown, throws an interception...
              -10-13-2006, 10:26 AM
            Working...
            X