Poor Kick Return Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Kick Return Play

Anyone out there besides me, wondering why the Rams haven't pursued Tony Horne after KC cut him? Is he still available?

Hey Duke, I am told he has lost a step after the foot injury.

Comment

You're probably right or they would have snatched him up as soon as Vermiel cut him. I guess I'm just digging for something.

It sure was nice when every drive didn't start at the 20 though.

Comment

April in November

No doubt Duke, special teams is in dire need of special attention ...returns AND coverage! True, Rams should be able to average their field position at the 35 -- keep opponents further back, with a better percentage on that as well.
        Come on April, it's already November!... :mad:
        Last edited by RealRam; -10-31-2001, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Hakim has been holding on to the ball lately.Maybe the Rams ought to let Az return kickoffs and punt returns.;)

GO RAMS! STAY FOCUSED! WIN!
          ST.LOUIS RAMS:THE MOST FRUSTRATING TEAM IN THE NFL!!!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
            Rams Downfall
            by RamWraith
            IF the Rams lose this weekend it will be because of one thing....and its the one thing that scares the hell out of me.
            SPECIAL TEAMS...

The Pack and their return man Rossum scare the buggers out of this fan. We need not to give the Pack field position and not allow any big runs. MARK MY WORDS if we loose its because of this....
            -01-15-2002, 09:12 AM
          • jjigga3000
            For Those...........
            by jjigga3000
            Who didn't think Dante would pay off or the Special teams wouldn't be special. I know you all just saw that kick return. Yeah baby. He'll get a few more of those this year. The only thing was it me or did he run out of gas.
            -09-09-2007, 11:59 AM
          • PTHOR
            Would it kill the RAMS to hire some special teams?
            by PTHOR
            It seems like ever since the loss of Tony Horne the Rams have tried everyone short of Warner and Bulger on the (not so) special teams, this got even worse with the loss of Hakim-not that he was all that (Fumble master) but, he could run with it and actually change direction when the defense ran at him. (huge concept)
            What I'm saying is is it possible to find someone else (not already on the RAMS team) to do the job.
            There has got to be a few hundred speedsters out there dying for the job, I wonder have they even looked?
            I fear this will be another year of runbacks against our special teams followed by 10-15 yard average kick/punt returns by our recycled receivers or RB's.

This has to be fixed to win! remember the Special teams in the 99 season (First rate).
            -04-25-2005, 10:10 AM
          • RamWraith
            Special teams not so special
            by RamWraith
            By Jim Thomas
            ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
            09/15/2005

2004: The Rams were 31st in punt coverage and 31st in kickoff returns among the NFL's 32 teams.

2005: Special teams failures last week against the ***** leave many wondering if the Rams are improved.

The mission was both simple and ambitious for the Rams' special teams unit Sunday in San Francisco.

"We wanted to come out and set the tone that this is going to be one of the top-notch special teams in the league," safety Mike Furrey said.

It began with Chris Johnson stepping out of bounds on the 1 on the opening kickoff, followed by a 40-yard kickoff return by San Francisco's Maurice Hooks, Otis Amey's 75-yard punt return for a touchdown and a successful onside kick by ***** place-kicker Joe Nedney. Oops!

All of which took place a mere 1 1/2 quarters into the game.

"It wasn't the debut that we had envisioned," special teams coach Bob Ligashesky said Thursday. "But any time something like that happens, obviously, you can't wait for your next opportunity to play."

Opportunity knocks Sunday at Sun Devil Stadium against the Arizona Cardinals.

This year was supposed to be different. Coach Mike Martz not only hired the young, energetic Ligashesky to run special teams, but he also hired an assistant for Ligashesky, Charles Bankins.

Whether it was via the draft or through signing low-cost free agents, the Rams added players with an eye toward improving special teams. They appear to be spending more time on the practice field than ever before under Martz on special teams.

But despite this newfound - and some might say - overdue emphasis on special teams, the results looked too familiar against the *****. It looked very much like the same special teams unit that ranked:

Last in 2003, and 30th in 2004 in punt coverage in the 32-team NFL.

Thirtieth or lower in kickoff coverage in four of the past five seasons.

Thirty-first in kickoff returns last season.

Thirty-first in punt returns a year ago.

The rocky start against the ***** prompted cries of "here we go again" throughout Rams Nation.

"That's part of being a special teams coach," Ligashesky said. "One thing you know is that nothing ever is going to go 100 percent your way. You could have 28 plays of special teams, and if one play doesn't go your way, that's the play that's going to stay with you. So, I knew what I was coming into, and accepted it with open arms."

One week into the season, Martz remains convinced things will work out with Ligashesky and with special teams.

"I'm very confident, the rest of the year, that this is going to work fine," Martz said. "This guy that's...
            -09-16-2005, 04:56 AM
          • LaRamsFanLongTime
            Special teams
            by LaRamsFanLongTime
            Is it just me or did they look pretty good today. Kickoff and punt coverage was there. Its a new Rams world and we are living in it.
            -09-10-2006, 03:14 PM
          Working...
          X