Lets talk about Bulger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets talk about Bulger

The Rams sure made a good decision with this kid. Throughout the entire year the kid has done nothing but got better week to week. He has shown he posses leadership, a certain calm, mobility, heart and most of toughness. He has bounced back from some tremendous hits throughout the season with not even a whimper.

I like this kid more and more each week. He deserves some kudos for the job he has done this season. He has been one of the mainstays on this team and has never done anything for the criticism he got in the past. It is time to step up and we all start recognizing the quarterback we have. He may not of bagged groceries or came from no where to the top of the NFL But no one can deny, he has lead this team through tons of adversity and has taken the unprovoked criticism like a man. He continues to push forward when all seemed lost in many fans eyes.

Hats of to you Marc Bulger!!

Re: Lets talk about Bulger

Here here!

Comment

Don't you know, Jason... you'll never get a discussion going by posting something positive - especially about Bulger. I tried a similar post last week (noting Bulger's consistency from game to game this year) and got virtually no responses.

Now, if you want to get a lot of responses, try one of these topics:

(1) Mike Martz is an idiot
      (2) The Rams won't make the playoffs
      (3) Anything criticizing naysayers

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by AR
        Don't you know, Jason... you'll never get a discussion going by posting something positive - especially about Bulger. I tried a similar post last week (noting Bulger's consistency from game to game this year) and got virtually no responses.
        But isn't that a good thing? The threads that have tons of posts involve something controversial with multiple points and counterpoints. But a post praising Bulger's current performance won't get many replies for the same reason there won't be many posts on threads about how good Faulk's or Aeneas' or Bruce's career has been; it's not controversial. There is no counter-point. If you'd posted this last year, there would have been all kinds of viewpoints, but now he's playing great, one of the best QBs in the league.

When there's no counter-point to argue, there's limited posts...and in this case that's a good thing.
        The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

You know, HU, that is a nice glass-is-half-full viewpoint. I hadn't thought of that.

Now shut the Hell up!

Maybe that will get things going! :tongue:

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam
            You know, HU, that is a nice glass-is-half-full viewpoint. I hadn't thought of that.

Now shut the Hell up!

Maybe that will get things going! :tongue:
            Did you guys hear that? Avenger invoked Satan. Avenger praises Bulger. Therefore, those who praise Bulger are Satan-worshippers!

Just trying to do my part, AR.

Comment

Hear what you are saying Avenger. I guess maybe that is why I was trying to start a positive thread here.

We have had a lot of good things happen to us this year with a lot of bumps in the road. But all in all, you have to admit we are still a pretty solid football team and Martz has made a lot of good decisions...not all is bad. Some people would rather persecute Martz and belittle Bulger. Rather, I guess I choose to look at it as we are only getting better and still learning.

I like the Bulger. And things I worried about a year ago are long gone with him. Can you imagine what this kid might be like in a couple years. The only regret I have is that we didn't sign him longer than 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison
                Avenger invoked Satan. Avenger praises Bulger. Therefore, those who praise Bulger are Satan-worshippers!
                Now that was some algorithm or transitive property thinga-ma-gig. Even that is obvious to me.

Comment

You were right Avenger. We can fill up two pages on one subject about Warner and how great he is or what could have been, but can't find anything to talk about with Bulger.

I bet it would be different if he had a crappy year. THEN everyone would be coming in droves to talk it up.

Comment

Originally posted by RamWraith
                    You were right Avenger. We can fill up two pages on one subject about Warner and how great he is or what could have been, but can't find anything to talk about with Bulger.

I bet it would be different if he had a crappy year. THEN everyone would be coming in droves to talk it up.
                    If Bulger was folding this year, Nick wouldn't be the only one approaching 2000 posts.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison
                      If Bulger was folding this year, Nick wouldn't be the only one approaching 2000 posts.
                      You're right... I'd be approaching 3,000. :king:

Comment

I have posted a similar thread three times now. Jason, i am 100% in agreement with you. If he only had real time to throw......

general counsel

Comment

I've always liked Bulger. Especially after what he came in and did in 2002. I knew we had a quaterback for the future. My problem was that I wanted him to wait his turn. I wanted Warner to get a fair shot and prove one way or another what he did or did not have left. I will always believe that Bulger, through absolutely no fault of his own, was thrown into the fire too soon.

He was at times last year shakey, unsure, mistake prone and downright bad. He was also at times last year solid, confident, unshakable and brilliant. I didn't like his deep ball, I didn't like his inability to check off or make quick multiple reads and I didn't like his preponderance for interceptions. My attitude was that if he was going to be the guy, the learning curve had to be over and he needed to pull it all together this year.

Well here we are today and as far as I'm concerned, Bulger has done everything I expected and more. All facets of his game have been solid, he has corrected all his shortcomings, shown he is a leader and made a believer out of me. I can honestly say I am thrilled Marc Bulger is our quarterback.

Comment

Nice post, Mike. It's interesting, though, how you say you thought he was thrown into the fire too soon, but then also say that his learning curve had to be over this year if he was in fact the guy. I'm not quite sure I understand that, but I think you hit the nail dead on with everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike
                              I've always liked Bulger. Especially after what he came in and did in 2002. I knew we had a quaterback for the future. My problem was that I wanted him to wait his turn. I wanted Warner to get a fair shot and prove one way or another what he did or did not have left. I will always believe that Bulger, through absolutely no fault of his own, was thrown into the fire too soon.

He was at times last year shakey, unsure, mistake prone and downright bad. He was also at times last year solid, confident, unshakable and brilliant. I didn't like his deep ball, I didn't like his inability to check off or make quick multiple reads and I didn't like his preponderance for interceptions. My attitude was that if he was going to be the guy, the learning curve had to be over and he needed to pull it all together this year.

Well here we are today and as far as I'm concerned, Bulger has done everything I expected and more. All facets of his game have been solid, he has corrected all his shortcomings, shown he is a leader and made a believer out of me. I can honestly say I am thrilled Marc Bulger is our quarterback.
                              Well said and well supported by you and the other clannies that have put their biases behind them and shown class towards supporting their new QB in HIS ERA.

Long live Bulger's success and the rest of the contributing RAMS studs too.

Go Marshall & Trev Faulk my Louisiana and SDSU & LSU bros' :redface:
                              Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• CRAZYHORNS
                                Bulger is the right choice...
                                by CRAZYHORNS
                                I am a huge Warner fan. I was very upset when the Rams let him go. However, the Rams are my team and all I could do was hope that this move would allow Bulger to step up....

I was unimpress with Bulger eventhough his numbers compared fairly well to the top QB's in the league.

Something happen this year?? I am not sure when and exactly how but Bulger showed me some HEART..... Maybe I did not realize what we had until Chandler had to step in???

I am now officially a Bulger fan.... I maybe a little late but I am impress.... I feel the Rams will be overlooked next year.... I have a very good feeling about this upcoming season..... If the Rams can field a tenacious D with an above average special teams the Rams can once again dominate this league....

GGGOOO RRRAAAMMMSSS
                                -03-25-2005, 09:02 AM
                              • rob6465
                                Why so much hate for bulger?
                                by rob6465
                                I'm sorry but brees/manning or brady would not do much with the present Rams. Most Ram FANS or fans in general do not realize that in 2006 Bulger had a decent team and he was the 3rd best QB in the NFL. Bulger had better stats than Favre, palmer, brady, roth, eli, etc, etc. Bulger is only 32 yrs old, which is 1 year younger than Mcnabb and he has had a more than decent QB rating if you remove the last 2 years. This Rams team has been plagued with injuries and have lost many good players. Bulger has good precision just does not have enough time in the pocket.

I like Bulger and if he had a good line would be one of the good QB's in the league. PEOPLE, put all these QB's in the playoffs with the rams this year.....2 wins? 4? 16? This team has holes and no QB will fill those holes, not even jhoe montana. For a team this bad, look at Bulger's stats last 6 yrs and look at the stats of QB's his age with better teams.
                                -01-17-2010, 05:49 AM
                              • RamDez
                                Rams' Bulger lets his game do the talking
                                by RamDez
                                Rams' Bulger lets his game do the talking
                                By Bryan Burwell
                                St. Louis Post-Dispatch
                                Sunday, Sep. 11 2005

-- SAN FRANCISCO -- Marc Bulger does not swagger.

Imagine that. The trigger man of a bold NFL offense that prides itself on
                                swagger and bluster is as flashy as a pair of brown shoes. The guy who
                                orchestrates a huddle full of high-octane athleticism and ultra-confident
                                superstar attitudes, generally regulates his own personal ego meter down to
                                barely detectable levels.

I have seen loaves of bread with more flair than the Rams starting quarterback.
                                I've seen end-zone cones with more dazzle than the soft-spoken, 28-year-old
                                gunslinger. His teammates tell you that you can't tell by his demeanor in the
                                huddle whether the Rams are playing in the first quarter of a meaningless
                                preseason game or fourth-and-long in the closing seconds of an playoff
                                thriller.

"It's always the same with him," said Marshall Faulk. "He always has that
                                perma-smile on his face, like 'Don't worry, everything's cool.' "

But there is something different about the guy who will be trotting onto the
                                field this afternoon as the Rams open the regular season against the San
                                Francisco ***** here at Monster Park. There is something about him that tells
                                you he's no longer that unsure kid trying to not screw up .

Pay close attention. There is a steady, confident air about him now that we
                                haven't seen before. Whatever hint of uncertainty used to clutter his life,
                                whatever shadow used to hunker over him like an anvil teetering on a ledge has
                                gone away (at least until next week).

"It's my third year playing full-time in this offense, and I'm feeling pretty
                                good," he said early last week after practice. "Everyone says you hit your
                                stride as a quarterback in the NFL at 31, 32 or 33 years old. But I think I'm a
                                little ahead of that curve because I've gotten to play at such a young age."

Even when he makes a bold statement like that, it doesn't seem so bold coming
                                from Bulger. It sounds matter-of-fact.

"I think I'm getting to the point where the intelligence of the offense is
                                something I really have down," he said. "You can be Brett Favre, the toughest
                                guy in the world, but if you don't know what you're doing or where to put the
                                ball, you're going to get beat up in this offense," he said. "At the same time,
                                if you're not accurate, you're not going to be successful."

It's a long journey from five years ago, when Bulger was a faceless kid on the
                                bottom of the depth chart just trying to fit in. Now, he is a third-year
                                starter, a Pro Bowl MVP, who carries himself with an air of quiet confidence...
                                -09-11-2005, 07:32 AM
                              • ramsanddodgers
                                Bulger Supporters Unite!
                                by ramsanddodgers
                                http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...A?OpenDocument

Bulger's impact may catch up to his stats

BY DAN POMPEI
                                THE SPORTING NEWS
                                11/15/2006

If Marc Bulger were any further under the radar, he would be beneath the planet's upper and lower mantles, somewhere near the earth's outer core.

He gets noticed as much as beige walls. Talked about as frequently as a deep, dark secret. Gets as much exposure as feet in the winter.

Bulger doesn't look or act like a big-time quarterback when he's not under center. He's a 2000 sixth-round pick who was cut by three teams (once by the Rams). He lights up a scoreboard but not the locker room.

It's easy to forget Bulger was once the Pro Bowl's most outstanding player. And that he has thrown for as many yards in a Rams uniform as Kurt Warner did.

There's something different about Bulger this season, and it is underscored by this incredible statistic: He has thrown one interception for every 165 attempts. In Bulger's career before this season, he had thrown one interception for every 29.8 attempts. So it would be fair to say he has acclimated quite well to new coach Scott Linehan's offense.

Though the numbers argue he has been one of the finest passers in the NFL, his impact on the team does not make the same argument. The Rams have dropped four straight games, and their loss to the Seahawks on Sunday just about ended their hopes of winning the NFC West.

So are the Rams better served by the Bulger who is obsessed with avoiding interceptions than they were by the Bulger who was obsessed with scoring touchdowns?

Bulger can't be blamed for the Rams' losses. But he also can't be credited with making them win. Bulger's regular-season winning percentage under former coach Mike Martz (not including games Martz missed last season) was .682. His winning percentage under Linehan is .444.

The Rams' record (4-5) and Bulger's passer rating (98.0) are incongruous. The league's other top-rated passers -- Peyton Manning, Damon Huard, Donovan McNabb, Philip Rivers and Drew Brees -- all play on teams with winning records.

It's unfair to pin a winning percentage on a quarterback alone, and it's too early to make any sweeping conclusions about the Rams' changes. But this much is certain: Bulger has played at a high level in both systems -- which might say more about him than the offenses.

"He can pretty much play in any offense and excel in it," Rams receiver Isaac Bruce says.

When Linehan told him the risk was not worth the reward, Bulger adapted his game. And it's a good thing because this Rams team isn't good enough to overcome turnovers.

There are three components to Bulger's ability to keep balls away from defenders. First,...
                                -11-15-2006, 07:31 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                Bulger Focusing on the Future
                                by RamWraith
                                Wednesday, September 20, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
                                Senior Writer

As Marc Bulger continues to look for the consistency and rhythm in the passing game that made him one of the leagueís most statistically decorated quarterbacks in his first three years as a starter, he has realized that he can longer look at whatís happened.

Instead, Bulger has come to the realization that he can only focus on the future and how he can get a better handle on grasping the new system installed by Coach Scott Linehan.

A full grasp of that system has yet to come to Bulger as he has struggled at times in the first pair of regular season games. For a player who has made it look so easy at times in the past few years, that has been a difficult adjustment.

ďItís tough, especially when you know what you have been able to do,Ē Bulger said. ďBut you canít live in the past. You have to move on and just know that this is new and you have to learn this and be patient and itís not going to come all at once. Itís not easy, but we have to deal with it. Thereís no sense in forcing it or giving up now. We have to fight through.Ē

Perhaps no player on any football team will have the constant scrutiny of the starting quarterback. Itís his job to know not only his tasks on every play, but also to know the whereabouts of every player on every play and have the ability to identify the opposing defensive scheme.

With a new system comes new terminology, but it also brings a new philosophy. Things in the Mike Martz era were freewheeling and potent. And Bulger fit in to that scheme as well as anyone. Although he didnít have as much freedom to audible or do many of the things that many quarterbacks around the league can, there was always some built in rules and regulations to help Bulger if he identified something in the defense.

Those rules allowed Bulger to go to a fallback plan in the play and have ways to get out of trouble. Bulger says he probably never would have had a full grasp of Martzís offense and he knows it wonít happen overnight in Linehanís less complex system, either.

One player who knows all about adjusting to a new system is the man who showed Bulger the NFL ropes, Arizona quarterback Kurt Warner. Warner has kept in touch with Bulger since he left for New York two years ago.

Warner has since bounced from New York to Arizona where he is settling in as the teamís starter. He and Bulger talk about once every three or four weeks and Warner has offered Bulger advice on being patient with the adjustment to Linehanís system.

ďWe actually talk quite a bit,Ē Warner said. ďI actually talked to him just last week. He did tell me he is working through it. It is a work in progress, but he is working to get to that point where it is second nature to him. After being where he was with Mike (Martz) and that type of...
                                -09-21-2006, 04:25 AM
                              Working...
                              X