My take on the team....for what it's worth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My take on the team....for what it's worth

I said this after the New Orleans game and I'll say it again, this version of the Rams is not very good but at least they are entertaining at times. The Rams are ranked 28th in total defense for the NFL. We may have the worst LB corp in the NFL. Outside of Pisa, the talent isn't there and for those of you crying for Lovie you can put a bunch of the blame on him for the state of this LB corp. The secondary has been banged up all year. Fisher gets back after his arm injury and what happens? Gets his jaw broke. Fights through that and what happens? Buffalo takes his knees out. Then our nickel guy Groce gets hurt, and our penny (can't say he's worth a dime) Garrett gets a concussion. This isn't the New England defense. Or the New England salary cap. Not sure you would call what we have Safeties unless you are an opposing teams TE that needs a confidence boost. Even Archuleta, though has been hurt, is having a rough year.

With the defense we have, and the money going to the offensive side of the ball, the offense had to be better. What happens? Turley and Wohlobaugh go out BEFORE OUR FIRST PRESEASON GAME. Uggghhh. That's worse than Lucy pulling the ball away before Charley Brown can kick it. Faulk is having a decent year but for the money he's making he isn't earning his salary. I've never seen him drop so many passes as he does now.

What does this mean? We better clean some house. Not coaching, players. Take pay cuts or go. Go out and get a slobber knocker LB. Let Aeneas retire and find a S. Tell Arch to lay off the pinky pushups which may impress the females but it dosen't do him a dad gum bit of good stopping a TE in the passing game. Ask Coady to go coach somewhere. Tell Garrett, who I had high hopes for this year, to find a relay team. Tommy Polley? Good luck in the FA market. Faulk? Either trim the salary or you get trimmed off the roster. Pace? We need three more lineman who want to play. Either sign long term or go to that "team" called the Browns. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Re: My take on the team....for what it's worth

Originally posted by txramsfan
    What does this mean? We better clean some house. Not coaching, players.
    I'm with you until here. Cleaning house means coaching also. I'm not going to open a can of whup-ass on eM & eM for the moment for obvious reasons, but I can't imagine many people thinking that the O-line coaches, and the ST & D coaches having done much to keep their jobs. At this point there are no sacred cows that have earned protection - coaches, players, and FO alike.

Comment

Agree Tx and also Adarian...

Martz was growing on me until this last game… then I woke up and realised that if we were in a different division we would be 1-8…. The coaching staff need to be cleaned out also…

Comment

Hey Tx
        :offtopic:
        I have never figured this signature out however I have always thought that,
        Marc Bulger - Rambassador of Kwan
        kinda sounded good.

now don't laugh, remember the "RamFan Horny and looking to score" phrase? It got me a shirt and maybe this can get you one to. LOL

Comment

It's from the movie Jerry McGwire...sp. When Cuba Gooding, JR called Tom Cruise his "Ambassador of Kwan"....

Comment

Oh.

Well that eplains why I couldnt figure it out.
            I Never saw the move.
            In fact I don't watch to many movies at all. The last time I went out to watch a movie it was E.T. the original release and I was at a drive in and didn't see much of that movie either. Most people think that is weird. It probably is.

Comment

Tx, excelent post. I appreciate your "state of the union" address on the current Rams defense. In watching the games I often am not sure which unit on the 'D' is not doing its job. My question is how do you evaluate or what criteria do you use to evaluate the performance of the LBers from that of the D-Line.
              I would appreciate any input on this subject.

Comment

Here's my 5 step plan:

1. Embrace the youth of the team. There are only three older vets that I would keep. Isaac Bruce (who is still a top 10 receiver), Andy McCollum and Adam Timmerman (still are doing their job). Elevate the status of Steven Jackson and give an even bigger role to Curtis and McDonald. Try to get something for Faulk, let Aeneas retire gracefully (maybe make him a coach) and say goodbye to Sean Landetta and Tommy Polley.

2. Find a defensive leader. Probably in free agency. Hopefully a LB (Hartwell, K.Bell).

3. Find the right role for Archuleta. He needs to (1) improve his coverage skills - particularly on TEs, (2) beef up and become an OLB, or (3) be traded to a team that can afford his lopsided game.

4. Bolster the O line. Broken record, I know, but it can be done. I think its time to rethink the "we don't spend high draft choices on OL" policy. Also need to look at FAs.

5. Money Management: signing Pace to a long term, cap friendly deal is the top offseason priority. I'd also like to see the Rams try to trade Faulk (yes, Faulk), Leonard Little (if he's not in jail), and possibly Robert Thomas.

Comment

Another thing about coaches being exempt from the house cleaning, which I am truly asking, is wasn't the defense completely blown up and rebuilt once already? Right, wrong or indifferent, Martz was in charge(overall) when that happened.

If you want to put it on Lovie for his design, then I take it a step further and blame Martz. He inherited Giunta(sp?) but hasn't he brought in Lovie and now Marmie? If Martz doesn't know or care enough about the defense that he leaves it in the hands of others maybe he should be taken out of the loop altogether when it comes to helping choose a coordinator too.

This all might sound a little harsh, but apparently Martz doesn't know what a good d-coordinator for the Rams is supposed to look like. A special teams coach for that matter. I'm pretty sure the Rams will give Martz at least another year but he has taken a huge shot to his credibility with Marmie this year and his drafts in general are going to catch up to him also.

At this point, the Rams seem to once again be a laughing stock and I can't imagine the brass at Rams park is too happy about that. Martz needs to right his ship or he will be facing the cold hard facts about coaching that Wannstedt has realized already. Winning % is nice, but it makes a differnce how you get there and how far you go when it matters most.

Comment

Last year, Ram fans wanted Bobby April's head on a platter.

This year, Bobby April is the toast of Buffalo.

That means 1 of two things:

1. Its the players, not the coaches, that determine how a team (or unit) plays; or

2. Fans don't have the ability to determine how a coach is impacting performance.

You know what, its probably both.

Comment

Well I dunno anymore tx....

Who's baby is this Rams team?

I'm not sure anyone is cryin for Lovie, rather they are screaming for Marmie to go while comparing him to Lovie. And just why is Lovie to blame about the LB corp? Seems we had the well coined T3 last season, maybe is wasn't deserved, but they produced under his scheme and leadership.

Offensive line problems you say? Gee wiz didn't we have those in past seasons? I recall one of those seasons leading to the injuries received by a certain MVP QB. It is a wonder that Bulger has been able to avoid injury so far. A fan would think one resident offensive genius would learn that offensive lineman can and do get hurt in this league. Where are the O-lineman waiting in the wings?

Certainly there have been injuries and a drop in talent, but I have seen very little in the ability of the coaching to offset these problems. If players are called upon to step up then shouldn't coaches be required to do the same? I just don't see Martz and his staff stepping up and quite frankly I am beginning to think they should be stepping down and out.

:ramlogo:
                      Curly ~ Horns

Comment

Ferter,
                        I agree with you once again. Martz chooses the players and the coaches. It is his job to prepare them for success, to plan for injuries and to adapt schemes to what the opposition is throwing at us. He is arrogant enough to believe that he can plan on the fly and train up any player and just plug them in. His coaching staff has yet to prove that they can do this on a consistent basis. Teams that are prepared in the offseason and coaches that do their planning then, rather than on the fly, are successful on a weekly basis. Martz has yet to prove that he can draft self-motivated players or prepare a team consistently week in and week out. I am not calling for his head; just questioning his style and preparation.

Comment

Originally posted by RAMarkable
                          Tx, excelent post. I appreciate your "state of the union" address on the current Rams defense. In watching the games I often am not sure which unit on the 'D' is not doing its job. My question is how do you evaluate or what criteria do you use to evaluate the performance of the LBers from that of the D-Line.
                          I would appreciate any input on this subject.
                          Well, I look at it this way. The D line has stepped up against the run by taking on blockers and allowing the LB's to make the play. Our problem is that Polley and whoever is playing MLB aren't making tackles. Then, the secondary has to make the play and we all saw the doe si doe that Coady did to Alexander as he ran down the field. I thought the announcer was going to have to say "Promenade left" or something.

Another thing is our coverage of the TE. We are always "in position" to make a play but the opposing TE seems to be the one coming down with the ball. Archuleta still struggles in pass coverage and so does Coady. Sure, they are always in position but they don't finish the job.

Comment

There's something else that I've been thinking about and that's the preperation against familiar opponents vs. unfamiliar. How often do we play the Dolphins, Bills, etc.? It seems like there's something there than I can't put my finger on. The Rams seem to make a game of it against NFC teams, especially in the West. But the less familiar a team the more they seem to struggle. Is this coaching? Matchups?

Damn, there's something there and I'm just not putting the pieces together.

A little help...?

Comment

It has not been a cinderella season this season. The injuries are plentiful and the swagger is missing.

They should use Archuleta in areas that he excels rather than spread him all over the defense.

The O line is a weakness and Martz needs to find alternatives to keep Bulger safe when the opponent has a good defensive line, like the Bills did this week. Suggestions....Put Bulger in shotgun more often. Simplify the offensive razzle dazzle so that plays can get moving quicker. Throw more quick screens for short yardage. Whatever the case, plays that take a long time to develop should be kept at a minimum if the defense is overtaking the offensive line.

They should take a good look at coaching styles for special teams, the O line, and the defense. Preparation seems to be an area of weakness. I am not sure who analyzes the opponents and watches film. I would imagine both the coaches and the players should be watching film closely to anticipate the opponent's strategy for game day. Are they watching enough film?
                              sigpic

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• ramhard
                                New Rams - Balance and Toughness
                                by ramhard
                                I've been thinking about the Rams and no matter the individual debates, the Rams have two problems:

(1). Lack of balance of talent due to salaries of the stars; and
                                (2). Lack of physical play (despite the players and coaches protests - see Atlanta game for reference and almost any others the past season).

The Rams can tinker but to be a champion again - not just making the players - will require them to remedy both of these.

On (1). The Rams can go the way of the Indy Colts and be entertaining during the season and lose in the playoffs, or can make some tough decisions. Here are the tough decisions. The Rams pay too much money right now to WR's, RB, and at one OT. There is no way the Rams can be balanced paying this much money to Bruce and Holt not to mention what Manu is paid at TE.
                                I say the Rams either drastically reduce Bruce's pay or trade him. I know it hurts and he is the heart of the team, but that is what every said when the Patriots traded Lawyer Milloy. The Rams just can't afford to have that much tied up at the receiver spot. I would also either cut or drastically restructure Faulk. He is not worth more than $1.5-$2M a year right now. You can't count on him for more than 9-10 games a year, and even then he is a solid but not spectacular back. Put it this way, if the Rams were on the free agent market to sign a back and they had Jackson, how much would you be willing to pay Faulk if he was a FA from another team? And Pace is a premier OT, but I think his contract issues have handcuffed the team. I would trade him also, and you could sign 2-3 solid linemen with that money.

Tough things do, but necessary.

(2). Speaking of tough that brings me to #2. The Rams are a finesse team - period, and can trick their way through the regualar season, but unless things fall right can't make it through the playoffs. So first of all the draft. Don't draft anyone that doesn't have in their scouting report - tough, physical, mean... period. No exceptions. As we already know that means, letting Pollley go, keeping Pisa, moving Thomas to ST and the bench, and bringing in two new LB's (I don't think Chillar is the answer). That also means one new corner in the rotation (nickle or starter) who is physical (maybe Lucas from Seattle), and a hard hitting safety who can cover. Plus drafting a G/T who can run block.

I know it's a overhaul, and that's why money has to be freed up. The capologist better than me can figure out the best way to clear cap room.
                                -02-06-2005, 09:22 PM
                              • Nick
                                Q&A with Randy Karraker from the HERD Board (LONG!)
                                by Nick
                                Q&A with Randy Karraker from the HERD Board
                                Monday, August 09 2004 @ 10:16 PM CDT
                                Contributed by: Shaky

zn:

Howdy to Randy, and howdy to the herd.

Randy, do you agree or disagree with the following:

The question is, is it possible to replace a hyped up Turley who in fact had
                                trouble adjusting to the system last year, didn't LIKE the system blocking especially>, was injured at least part of the time ANYWAY, and was
                                never much of a run blocker on top of it? Okay, so, how good will this
                                year's OL be? That's an open question, but I sincerely doubt they will be
                                worse than last year when the offense was 30th in rushing and 29th in sacks
                                allowed supplemental blockers--TE, FB, etc.>.

I am of course being deliberately provocative and controversial and stuff,
                                but still, just use that as a platform and to go anywhere you want with it.

Thanks Randy and keep up the (as usual) good work.

RK:

Thanks for the comments. Sure it's possible (probable) to replace Turley,
                                and the offensive line can be a lot better. As they say, the cemeteries are
                                full of indispensable people, so any OL is replaceable. The bigger thing to
                                me is that individuals don't make a great line. Matt Light, Russ Hochstein,
                                Dan Koppen, Joe Andruzzi and Tom Ashworth won last year's Super Bowl. The
                                other side had Steussie, Donnaley, Mitchell, Jeno James and Jordan Gross. A
                                couple of good players, a couple of average ones, and a rookie. I'm more
                                than OK with Pace and Grant Williams at T. My concern is that Timmerman and
                                McCollum, with lots of miles on them, got pushed around a little bit last
                                season. I think they need to be more stout, a tougher group than last year.
                                Additionally, while Turley didn't take well to the coaching and the system,
                                he's still a great player. It couldn't hurt to have him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RamFanInPA:

Pace Comments BS?????
                                Orlando Pace stated a while back how he thought he and the Rams could get a
                                long term deal done. The Rams can't negotiate until he signs the tender
                                correct? So, why not sign the tender, get into camp, and then start
                                negotiating the long term deal!!!! Does Pace just want to skip camp? Was his
                                "big" statements just crap? When do you expect Pace to sign the tender and
                                get into camp?

Randy, thanks for all you do!

RK:

It appears that his comments were BS. You're right in that they can't
                                negotiate with him until he signs the tender. Everyone in Macomb thinks
                                he'll be in at the end of camp, just like last season, and the players I...
                                -08-11-2004, 06:21 PM
                              • Dr. Defense
                                My .02
                                by Dr. Defense
                                So I have refrained from any knee jerk reactions this season, just sitting back and watching as everyone posts ideas that range from super logical to crazy insane and everything in between. After Monday night's game I finally decided that it's my turn to say whats on my mind in no particular order:

1) We have Steven Jackson. USE HIM. He's the best player on the team, RUN HIM. I never thought I would say that I wish that Shurmer was OC.

2) That being said, I have a gut feeling Steve Jackson will not be on the team next year. Some HC is going to come in and gut the team, which means that we need money and picks. Trading Steven Jackson gets both. I do NOT want to see him traded at all, but that's what my gut is telling me.

3) Watching the Seattle game was so hard. It was impossible not to flinch watching that offense out on the field. It was like watching someone smoke in a bomb factory.....it can only end in disaster.

4) Sam needs to be benched. Not because he is terrible and not the future of the franchise. But because he is clearly hurt, we are going no where this season, these remaining games mean nothing, and there is no benefit to him playing. We save him if he rides the bench or we destroy him if we play. That's a pretty simple answer if you ask me.

5) There is NO WAY that we are drafting Luck. So anyone who thinks that needs to get it out of their head. To draft him is going to take a MINIMUM of this years 1st, next years 1st, this years 2nd, probably a 3rd thrown in somewhere and a player. Basically it's going to make the Ricky Williams trade look like a joke. I am not willing to trade all that, just to draft another QB that will fail because we can't build a team around him.

6) I really really really wanted Spags to be a good head coach, but it's just not working out. I like the team he is building and the system (on defense), but his inability to manage a game or the clock is absurd. The play calling on offense also needs to be called into question. As HC he has ultimate control over it. Why are we playing so conservatively when we have nothing to lose by going for it? He will be released at the end of the season. Who will take over I do not know

7) NO BIG NAME COACHES WILL SIGN HERE. PERIOD. END OF STORY. Bill Coher doesn't want to come here and fix a giant mess like this. None of these retired guys want to come out to fix us. And for those of you who say we'll pay them out of retirement? Don't you think that they got paid enough as HC's and are making more then enough right now as commentators/analysists? There is zero motivation for them to come here.

8) Billy will get ONE more year. But it will be a very hot year. I do not blame him for the free agent signings. This team had more holes than the Titanic when he got here. This team has been destroyed by the FA of years past. The contracts were terrible and hampered...
                                -12-13-2011, 10:34 PM
                              • rNemesis
                                HOW CLOSE IS THIS TEAM TO COMPETING?(VERY LONG)Please provide feedback
                                by rNemesis
                                First of all let me just say that these last few years have been VERY frustrating and embarassing for me as a RAM FAN and I'm sure you guys are just as disappointed. I have watched my team go from the greatest show on turf to, as a washington post columnist said after the redskins loss, " the most miserable mass on grass". MY main question here is , " How far are the rams from being a decent competitive rock solid team? Its a long way to go; it doesnt happen overnight but it shouldnt take FOREVER either.

But I am not gonna sit here and talk about that all night. We know what has happened. We know what we've become. 13 straight losses dating back to last season. 3-13 in 2007 and 2-14 in 2008. 5 wins in the last 30 or so games? ( not sure exactly the stats) That is horrible.

Let's go back year by year as to how we finished record wise.
                                In the 1990's we were bad. But so were other teams which are now good today. But if you look at our 90's record to others, you will see that we were bad most of those years. Other teams had bad years too during the 90's but it was only really the lions, bengals, cardinals and saints. That should show you how bad of a team the Rams are. We never finished over 7 wins from 1990 up until 1999, which was our superbowl year. Which now tells me that the Rams have been bad, are now bad, and I hope we dont continue to be bad. But lately one has to believe that that is the penalty for our actions.

2000- 10-6 DECENT
                                2001- 14-2 ( excellent; we beat the pats that season but lost in the SB to the same :|)
                                2002- 7-9 Not bad
                                2003- 12-4 excellent
                                2004- 8-8 not bad; competitive
                                2005- I think we were 7-9 or 6-10 cant remember
                                2006- 8-8
                                2007- 3-13 horrible
                                2008- 2-14 lousy

I am not surprised at how we have fallen so badly. What I cant seem to understand is how fast we have fallen as such. How come we havent been able to stop the bleeding and bounce back like other teams have seemed to?

So tell me guys. How far off is this team from competing? Well, I look at the league and I have noticed that most of the other teams have playmakers in a lot of key positions. Why is that? Because they do a great job of DRAFTING PLAYERS THAT FIT INTO THEIR SCHEME WELL. We on the other hand have not done that lately. We have drafted players that have done well IN THEIR SCHEME and so it didnt matter to the previous regime ( Jay ZYgmunt ) if they fit or not the point was they wanted them so much that they drafted them regardless of their college scheme and success. In the era since Martz left, we have drafted the likes of busts ( or so they appear to be) like Tye Hill, Adam Carriker, Claude Wroten, Fakhir Brown, etc. The list goes on and on.

THIS HAS REALLY HURT THIS ORGANIZATION SO MUCH THAT IT IS REARING ITS UGLY HEAD NOW. Bad drafting has put us in such a talentless hole that...
                                -09-29-2009, 07:43 PM
                              • viper
                                Alas..the sky is falling once again
                                by viper
                                It never ceases to amaze me, how quickly my fellow Ram's fans will turn on thier team, their players and their coach. The clouds of "doom and gloom" lye low above the legion once again. Again the naysayers have their day, to lay their spew upon the feet of the horns.

Ohhhh no, we've lost to the lowly dirty birds, Ohhh no, we've lost 6 out of the last 7 games, Ohh no, our captain has spoke out to the media about a few of his undisciplined guardians, possibly upsetting a few teammates, Oh no, our coach won't take responsibility and demand accountability from his youthful squires on the front lines, let alone the team as a whole.

Granted, the legion has seen better days. But, why is it that the masses choose to dwell on the "darker side" of things rather the hope of a brighter day to come. Is there not a chance, a hope that a brighter day shall dawn as a result of the upcoming offseason. This season is lost, no doubt. Who can say that this was not a distinct possibility, considering that we would be brandishing a new head coach, a new defensive coordinator, new offensive and defensive schemes, new free agents, untested rookies and a decimated offensive line. Add to that a previously dysfunctional run defense, pass defense and special teams for the last several years and what do you get? The "2006 St. Louis Rams!" Hooray! We got exactly what we "should have" expected. Or at least considered the possibility that it could be a tough year. Well guess what, it has turned out to be a "tough year." A downright bleak season.

But, ya know what, believe it or not, there has been improvement over last year. Our special teams have improved significantly in punting, coverage and returns. Our defense, is doing better in the turnover battle, our pass defense is improved and as hard as it may be to believe we do seem to be better at keeping opponents from scoring on us as much.

Its easy to throw fuel on the fire proclaiming how terrible things are when the going gets tough. The question is where are you when your team needs your support? Anybody can belittle a losing team...and their is no question we are losing right now. But, in doing so, are you any better than the opposing team's fans that come to diss on your team. I haven't seen too many "positive" threads lately about our team that make me feel like this is the Rams home.

I, personally, have unwavering faith in the positve attributes of the Rams! I choose not to wallow in the ever increasing muck and mire that seems to be prevalent around here lately. I agree that we are not where we want to be...far from it. But, I'm not going to participate in any "hanging" or "slop" parties or anything of the like.

Why can't we focus on the good things about our team or future prospects. Maybe that means a higher draft pick next year or a few well scouted free...
                                -12-05-2006, 11:53 PM
                              Working...
                              X