• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martz on the MIke

Head Coach Mike Martz
    Thursday, November 25, 2004

(Opening comments)
    “Monday night in Green Bay, it doesn’t get any bigger than that. We will practice today and tomorrow, the first half of tomorrow, then they will have the afternoon off for Thanksgiving. We’ll get a good practice in the morning, then the rest of the week we’ll finish as Friday is a Thursday, and Saturday is a Friday practice like we normally do for a Monday night game. Obviously, (Brett) Favre is playing very well. Defensively, they have gotten better and better throughout the season. They had some problems early, but they’ve been very consistent. They gave up some big plays early in the year, but they eliminated that. They are playing very sound right now. They are playing well as a football team.”

(On Favre starting his 200th game)
    “It’s such an unusual feat at that position, it’s just hard to imagine any quarterback being able to accomplish that. To play through all of the things that he has played through, and to play at such a high level, I think we should all take our hats off to Brett, and the career he’s having. It’s a remarkable accomplishment, there’s no question.”

(On what makes Favre special)
    “There’s so many things about Brett. His toughness, his competitiveness, at the highest level, it’s just unmatchable. He’s just a fun guy to watch. He looks like he’s having fun playing this game. He’d be playing anywhere, in the street, in the park, in the stadium, his passion for what he does is evident when he plays. His last game shows (against Houston), he can bring a team back at any point, from any deficit. He gets on a roll, and it’s hard to stop. That toughness and leadership qualities that he has, the whole football team relies on it. You can see the team feeds off of his personality.”

(On the Rams’ injury situation)
    “Well DeJuan (Groce), with the knee, I don’t know if we will have him. We’ll just see where he is. He’s got a sprain fortunately. There isn’t anything there to be too concerned about. Other than that, we should be in pretty decent shape.”

(On the lack of sacks Favre has taken)
    “He gets rid of the ball. The ball is gone. He moves around so well, and they are very active with him in the protections. He’s out on the edge an awful lot. They run a lot of play actions that keep him outside and away from some of the pressure. When pressure is on him, he gets rid of the ball quickly.”

(On playing at Lambeau Field)
    “I don’t think about it. We’ve gone up there before and won. We went up there in our opener in 1995. When you start thinking about mystique and all that other stuff, you should play someplace else. Every stadium in the NFL has something special about it. We are not playing the mystique or the name, we are playing the Packers that are going to line up on the field.”

(On the Rams’ resolve)
    “You have to have that resolve. We’ve been through this enough, the disappointments. The bad quarter there that puts you in a hole, and you have to climb out. If you don’t then you are going to go on a downward slide. You have to have a short memory. As painful as it is, when these things happen, you have to find out what the problems are, address them as well as you can, and make sure the players are clear about what needs to be done.”

(On Green Bay’s offense)
    “They have always done a great job running the football. That’s an outstanding offensive line, and I think at this point, it’s the best one we’ve seen, maybe the best one we see all year. When we play them every time, that’s the comment that comes out of our defensive guys. They do such a good job in the running game, and changing things up. They stay on blocks so well and they create real nice seams. You’ll see that on third-and-one’s over the years, they’ll run that power play and the back will go 60 yards with it. They execute so well in the running game that it’s pretty impressive to watch on tape.”

(On T Grant Williams)
    “Grant Williams, providing that he’s feeling pretty good, will probably start at right tackle. I think it was important to give Grant that week off. He feels much better today. I told him that we will work him in there this week, selectively to see where he is. We should have him available.”

(On what players the Rams feed off of)
    “I think that Pisa (Tinoisamoa) on defense, there’s no question (players feed off of him). I think on offense, the two wide receivers (Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt), and Marshall (Faulk). I think they have an impact on this team with how they approach things, and with their personalities. Even though Isaac doesn’t say anything, just how he is and how he competes regardless of the situation, I think speaks volumes. I think everyone takes notice of that.”

(On if P Sean Landeta will bounce back)
    “We’re going to have to practice outside this week sometimes. I want them to get out there in the weather. But we’ll see. We just want the best guy in there to do the job.”

(On what he is thankful for)
    “I’m thankful for everything I have. I’m thankful for so much, I don’t even know where to begin. I’m thankful for this job, this opportunity, these players, these coaches, my family, my health, you guys (in the media). I’ve got a great job. I have the best job in the NFL. There’s so many things to be thankful for.”

(On S Antuan Edwards)
    “He’ll be up this week. He’ll practice a great deal this week. We’re trying to get him ready to play. He was out at practice last week, and we were really pleased with how he moved around. He wasn’t 100 percent, but we were very pleased with what we saw. I’m excited about what he might be able to do to help us.”

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
    Coach Scott Linehan December 12
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Scott Linehan

December 12, 2007

(Opening Remarks)

“Each week we have a coach of the week sponsored by the Rams and the U.S. Army. It’s important to our organization and our partnership with the U.S. Army to acknowledge a job well done here in the St. Louis region. It’s a lot of fun to get to know a little more about the programs here. I’m following them more that my sons are getting closer to high school age and following the programs and seeing the guys doing a great job here in town.

“I want to congratulate you on great seasons and being our coaches of the week. Week 1 was Nick Gianino from Fox High. Week 3 was Farrell Shelton from Eureka High School. Matt Martin from Granite City (Week 4), Darren Sunkett from East St. Louis (Week 5), Ray Kauling from Mater Dei (Week 6), Matt Irvin (Week 7) from MICDS, Doug Newton from Pattonville (Week 8), Mark Goldenberg from Parkway Central (Week 9) and Scott Horner (Week 10) from Columbia in Illinois. I want to be the first one to congratulate you on great years, great season and great accomplishments. We’re glad to have a great sport’s town. High school football is one of the great traditions of the area.”

(On how QB Marc Bulger looked in practice)

“He looked fine. More importantly is how he gets through the week. For Wednesday it was a good day. I won’t be ready to announce who will start quarterback for us until at the earliest, Friday. He looks good. He feels better. What percentage that is, I don’t know until he gets through a full week of practice. There’s still no guarantee Friday’s going to be any different.”

(On if QB Gus Frerotte looks like he will be available on Sunday)

“I think he can be available. He threw the ball. He did not take the scout team reps. I had Brock (Berlin) do those this week. He threw the ball through individual (drills) and looked to be close to himself. I’ll see how he feels after throwing it. He put in some pretty good work today.”

(On how many reps Bulger had in practice)

“He took all of the reps. It’s really hard to split them up. This is the time of year where we don’t get enough reps from coaches’ standpoint because of the amount of snaps we’re able to do with our limited numbers. He took all the reps today. If there’s any concern about where we’re at or how he feels tomorrow we’ll make some adjustments to tomorrow’s practice.”

(On how WR Brandon Williams looked in practice)

“Brandon didn’t do a whole lot. It looked like he felt better, but he really did not practice in the capacity of our returner. That could change tomorrow. We’ll see how he feels. He tried to work through some individual stuff today and seemed to be making some progress.”

(On if S Oshiomogho...
    -12-12-2007, 05:33 PM
  • RamDez
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    by RamDez
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    Friday, October 22, 2004

(Injury Update)
    “It looks like Travis Fisher will practice this week. We’ll get him into the mix. Jimmy Kennedy will practice to some extent. We’ll see how he is out there on the field. He has conditioned and ran real well over the past week or two. We’ll give him some individual drills to see where he is, and measure his progress by how sore he is tomorrow. Other than that, we are in pretty good shape. Jeff Wilkins is nursing a sore ankle from an ankle sprain. We won’t know for a few days what we will do. It’ll come down to the wire on Sunday to see how he is. Tyoka still remains questionable with that hamstring. He’s not quite there yet, so we have a couple of days to see (where he is). We are starting to get people back , which is always a good thing.”

(On Miami)
    “This is a short week and we head to Miami. This defense, a week ago, was the number one rated defense in the National Football League, and now they are two or four. But whatever it is, they are very substantial on defense, like they always are. Offensively, they have struggled somewhat. They have a lot of injuries, but they have moved the ball well enough to score points and win.”

(On the difficulties of finding a kicker at this point of the season)
    “I think it’s all relative to what he has been doing. When we worked (Jeff Chandler) out, he was fine. I’m just going to make the assumption that he is ready to go if we need him.”

(On getting Jimmy Kennedy and Travis Fisher back)
    “We were starting to wear down on the defensive line, with Tyoka out, and particularly on the inside having Jimmy (Kennedy) back, I mean that is a big man. If he can pick up where he left off, so to speak, which will be hard to do. I don’t know when he will be back, completely, but I’m really excited about his attitude and his approach to getting back here as fast as he can. In terms of (Travis) Fisher, he was playing so well when he broke his arm, that we feel he is a top-flight corner. And it looks like he should be ready to go, which will help us tremendously in the secondary.”

(On Travis Fisher’s play before he was injured)
    “When he broke his arm in that preseason game against Kansas City, he was playing as well as he’s ever played. To have three corners like we have healthy, that’s quite an advantage. Most teams have two really outstanding corners, and with him, we feel like we have three substantial starters and we’re excited about that.”

(On the Dolphins)
    “A few years ago we were sitting in here at 0-5. The Oakland Raiders came in here, and they were the best team in the National Football League at the time. They led the league in both offense and defense, they led the league in both categories. We played them and we beat them handily. You just don’t know. There are no breathers in this league. It just doesn’t exist. This will be...
    -10-23-2004, 02:53 AM
  • RamWraith
    Martz on the Mike
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    Wednesday, December 15, 2004

(Opening Statement)
    “As you look at Arizona, particularly on defense, this is a team that from the beginning of the year, creates some challenges for you. I think they’re much improved, they’ve got a good pass rush from the outside, and the linebackers are very active. They’ve changed their defense in that they are much more pressure oriented. They are getting after you and creating all types of structure problems that you have to account for. They are very disruptive and they’ve done a great job. They are playing with a great deal of enthusiasm and excitement. A passionate defense would be a good word for them. They look like they are really well coached on defense, they’re impressive to look at. They are a different defense than we saw at the beginning of the year in that they were much more of a seven-man front than opposed to some of the things that they are doing now. Offensively, with the receivers healthy, they create a real issue for you. Obviously the quarterback can move around and he has the big arm to get the ball down the field. With the big receivers they do like to do the long passes and get the ball down the field and score quickly if they can, and make some big plays. I would say it’s a challenge. Obviously they are a team right now that are kind of finding their way and have been on again, off again, much like us. It’s a big challenge for us. It’s a divisional game, the final one of the season for us, and that’s an exciting aspect for us.”

(On WR Anquan Boldin being healthy)
    “He makes a huge difference. Just in the short time that he’s played, I can’t remember what his numbers are, but they are pretty impressive. I can remember standing on the sideline last year watching him down there, we had three or four defensive backs around him, and he pulled the ball away and scored. He’s a very electric and exciting player in this league. He’s a guy you have to account for.”

(On if RB Steven Jackson will play)
    “Yeah. He ran full speed on the treadmill on Monday, and there was no swelling the following day. They also took him outside and did some drills. I saw him this morning and he had no swelling from the work that he’s done over the last few days. I’m real encouraged that we will have him. I assume that we will have him for practice today. Marshall (Faulk) wants to go today at practice. I asked him to be very careful, and he said he would tell me within a day or two how he feels. He’s very encouraged, he feels like he will be fine. I think we might be at full strength at running back. Marc (Bulger) is going to throw today, which about knocked me off my feet when they told me that today. I don’t know what that means, but evidently he threw on Monday, and pitched it around pretty good. We’ll just see what he does, and if there’s any doubt, obviously we will keep him out.”
    -12-16-2004, 06:18 AM
  • RamWraith
    Rams Quote Sheet - 10-4-06
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Scott Linehan

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

(Opening statement injury report)

“Paul Smith is out with that eye injury. Couple small fractures around that orbital eye area they call it, so definitely out this game and probably the next. I think it looks like there’s a good chance with a bye coming up, that he should be ready to at least have a shot after the bye. We haven’t counted out the next week, but he’d be highly doubtful then as well. Orlando practiced some today. Taking it kind of slow. He’s questionable. Feels much better than he did last week. It’s really too early to tell where he’s going to be. We’ll evaluate him day-to-day. Fahkir Brown has a sore ankle. He’ll be listed on there today as probable. We just limited him today because of some tenderness in his ankle, but it shouldn’t be a problem.”

(Opening statement signing of LB Isaiah Kacyvenski)

“Obviously you all know about the signing of Isaiah Kacyvenski. Isaiah’s been with Seattle. I’m sure you all remember him playing in this division. He’s been known as one of the better special teams players, as all teams have a lot of those core special teams players. I’m a little familiar with Isaiah. When he was a free agent, we were trying to get him to come to Minnesota when I was up there. He ended up staying in Seattle. There are circumstances to how he ended up here. We certainly didn’t expect a player of this caliber to be available, and with Paul’s injury and looking for a guy…for two reasons. He’s a great special teams player, and he’s also a heck of a good linebacker. I think it improves our football team. He’ll help in all areas of special teams. We’re going to have fun with figuring out how to pronounce his name, or the special teams coach’s name, Ligashesky and Kacyvenski. Between the two of them, I think I’ve got it. A great sign for us. Unfortunately we had to let Dwaine Carpenter go. I told Dwaine to hang in there. You never know what can happen. He’s been doing a good job for us, it’s just that we had to make room for Isaiah.”

(Opening statement high school coach of the week)

“Something that I think is really important to acknowledge is each week we have a high school coach of the week. This week’s coach of the week is Bob Button from Parkway North High School. They’ve got a 5-0 start. We want to acknowledge that. We certainly want the area programs and coaches that are doing a terrific job to acknowledge and congratulate him from the Rams.”

(On RB Paul Smith requiring surgery)

“It will heal. I don’t know how they show up in there, but they just see a couple of small fractures around the eye area of the skull. It sounds probably worse than it is. It was a pretty good shot he took there, plus he had a concussion. With those two injuries, it’s going to take a while before he’s...
    -10-04-2006, 04:43 PM
  • RamWraith
    Martz on the Mike
    by RamWraith
    Thursday, September 30, 2004

(Injury update)
    “Chris Dishman is questionable. When they did the MRI here the other day, there was no damage to the capsule, fortunately, or to the muscle, or ligaments. It was just a strained capsule. We should be able to get him back in short order. Just how soon, I don’t know. How much he can do this week will probably be limited, we’ll just have to get a feel for that. Arlen Harris, who did play the rest of the game on a strained hamstring, is also listed as questionable, and we will just have to see where he is. I would expect we would have him in some capacity, but we’ll just have to see. Then Tony Newson, with the ankle sprain, what they call a ‘grade two’, is questionable, and probably, we won’t have him. We do get DeJuan Groce back. We do get Trev Faulk back. These two guys have looked real good here in the last few days, and Trev now is almost 100 percent with that hamstring (injury). And DeJuan, with that knee (injury), looks pretty good and should practice today. That helps us a great deal on defense with another linebacker and another corner.”

(On preparing for San Francisco)
    “San Francisco week, as you all know, is a special week for us. It’s a divisional game that has been our long-standing rivalry. We are excited about it. Defensively, they have done a good job over the years. They have really proven their speed defensively, probably over the last four or five years. Bryant Young, right now, is playing the best football that I have ever seen him play. He is absolutely outstanding. Obviously, Julian Peterson, Derek Smith, and (Jeff) Ulbrich, the linebacking crew is as good as you will find in football. I think they are outstanding. They have real good speed on defense, and they do a good job of matching up. Offensively, I would expect (Tim) Rattay to start at quarterback. Everything we hear, anyway, sounds like he will start. Kevan Barlow, as we all know, can be a very explosive and physical runner. He is a threat to go the distance at anytime. We have seen him do it. It doesn’t get any better than this. An old time rival, early in the season, at San Francisco, and it’s a Sunday night game. We’re excited about it.”

(On where S Aeneas Williams will be playing)
    “Aeneas will be going back to safety, with DeJuan Groce back at corner. Aeneas spent so much time getting himself ready to play safety, and has played so well in terms of his keys, breaks on the ball, lining guys up, making calls, and then to move out to corner is very disruptive. It’s a totally different world out there. That’s a hard thing to ask somebody to do, but we were at a bind at that point. Going back to safety, I’m sure he’s relieved. I haven’t talked to him about it, but I’m sure he’s excited. He had a lot of pass break-ups on plays where you didn’t expect a free safety to make a play, early in the year.”

(On if San Francisco’s...
    -09-30-2004, 12:58 PM
Working...
X