Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McClellan: 'Befuddled' billionaire may yet leave us with an empty Dome

By Bill McClellan

"We both knew people sometimes change, and lovers sometimes rearrange, and nothing's quite as sure as change."

— The Mamas & the Papas

Rams owner Stan Kroenke is something of a villain these days, but really, it's not his fault. He is only doing what the lease for the Edward Jones Dome allows him to do — and that is demand that the football stadium be brought to a top-tier level.

But we are not going to do that. We can't. We shouldn't. We won't.

Which means, we think, that Kroenke and the Rams might follow Albert Pujols to the left coast.

So we're starting the hate-fest early.

I do not intend to be a spoilsport. I am firmly behind the populist crusade to stop public money from going to a billionaire. Not that we have much choice. We're broke. So we might as well declare that we are acting on principle.

Occupy the Edward Jones Dome!

What's more, Kroenke has become a surly character. Not long ago, he talked about how he has put a lot of "jack" into this market. The implication was that we are not grateful enough for all that he's done.

He owns an NBA basketball team, an NHL hockey team, an MSL soccer team, and he has controlling interest in a soccer team in England. He owns the most upscale winery in Napa Valley, and he has ranches in Wyoming and Montana and the largest working cattle ranch in Canada.

That ranch is in British Columbia, and Kroenke is involved in a dispute with the locals. They claim that Kroenke has illegally blocked access to two public lakes that the locals have fished for generations. The ranch manager argues that the ranch has stocked the lake with rainbow trout and anyone who fishes them is stealing.

B.C. fishermen challenge billionaire ranchers for lake access - British Columbia - CBC News

Kroenke has become a hard man to like.

It was not always so.

I remember the day he was introduced to St. Louis. It was at a press conference on a Monday afternoon in October 1993. Our plan to get an expansion football team was unraveling. We had the stadium. We had the name of the team — the Stallions. But the potential ownership group had broken apart when James Orthwein walked away and took his money with him.

We needed a new Daddy Warbucks, and we needed him quickly. We found E. Stanley Kroenke.

Actually, Andy Craig found him. Craig was then the head of Boatmen's Bank and the chairman of Civic Progress.

If you want a trip down memory lane, savor the first sentence of a news story that appeared the day after Kroenke was introduced: "If some fine day, when the St. Louis Stallions are going bad and E. Stanley Kroenke asks himself, 'How did I get into this?' he can blame Andrew Craig."

The reporter who wrote that lighthearted story was Fred Lindecke.

But back to the press conference. Craig introduced Kroenke, who was new to the world of professional sports. He seemed uncomfortable as he looked out at the rabble. He spoke haltingly and said he was a private person who valued his privacy.

One of the television reporters shouted, "How much you worth, Stan?"

After laughing uneasily for a moment, he realized we were waiting for an answer. "Well, that's certainly a personal question." He hesitated. "I appreciate the question."

Craig rescued him. He said the new ownership group was made up of people who were substantial.

I love that word. It's so much more descriptive than rich. I could win the lottery and be rich, but I wouldn't be substantial.

I wrote a column about the press conference and noted that everybody else in the group had the air of self-confidence that great wealth or power confers. "Self-assured" comes to mind, I wrote, if not "arrogant." Only Kroenke seemed "befuddled."

You know what happened. Charlotte and Jacksonville got expansion teams. We were left with a giant dome.

A Rocky Mountain News columnist wrote, "It is now official: St. Louis has become the Midwest capital of tractor pulling and mud-bog racing."

Kroenke seemed destined to be a footnote in the city's history — the befuddled billionaire who almost owned a football team.

But everything changes. Craig cashed out and sold the bank. Lindecke retired and became the leader of the Coalition Against Public Funding for Stadiums. The Rocky Mountain News went out of business. We lured the Rams to town, and Kroenke became a minority partner, then owner. Along the way, he quit being befuddled and became self-assured, if not arrogant.

As for us, we might learn to love tractor pulling and mud-bog racing.

Re: McClellan: 'Befuddled' billionaire may yet leave us with an empty Dome

This guy is proof of what is wrong with the press. Feedom of the press should not be allowed to people who have a vested interest in one side of a "story". If I had anything to do with the RAMS FO, this guy would not have a press pass to anything related to the RAMS. He has lost his "freedom of the liars" rights when he voices his personal opinion instead of reporting on a story. As a matter of fact, this would not be a story if you removed his personal opinion.

gap

Comment

The fact that you dont agree with the point of the article (and i agree with you that the article itself is crapola) does not mean that the guy has lost his right to freedom of the press, which by its very definition is the right to express whatever views and opinions that he wants, regardless of whether others agree with them. Sure, the Rams can cut off his media access if they want, but it would be a stupid decision in my view. Are the Rams going to cut off media access for people that are not employed by them that write things or say things that are critical of the team? As far as i know, that is basically unprecedented. People the Rams hire should not be publicly critical of the team. That is a different story since the Rams are signing the paychecks. But cutting off the media because they write their views? That is downright unamerican. Freedom of speech is a fundemental core of this country. You dont have to agree with the guy and you dont even have to listen to him or read his views, but that does not mean that he doesnt have the right to express them.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Once again, biting the hand.
        Look away. I'm hideous. __ Cozmo Kramer

Comment

By the way, Kroenke paid several hundred million dollars to buy control of the team. He has every right to get the benefit of all contractual obligations that are favorable to him, including the provisions in the lease for the dome. The city made a deal to get the rams to move to st louis. The city had sophisticated advisors who were surely aware that over time, renovations on the dome could be very expensive. Kroenke should give up his contract rights because the city and state are broke? That doesnt seem fair to me and i dont care if he has a trillion dollars. I am a huge believer in freedom of contract. No one forced the city of st louis to sign a deal to get football back to the city that created a huge contingent liability in the future. Once they signed the deal, they should be prepared to live by it, in the same way that the rams are obligated to pay rent as per the terms of the lease.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

St. Louis; the official Midwest Capital of tractor pulling and mud-bog racing. That's funny stuff.

What the hell is mud-bog racing??
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4324_1458960283388_621[/ATTACH]

Comment

the move is coming!!!!!!!

Comment

Rams owner Stan Kroenke is something of a villain these days, but really, it's not his fault. He is only doing what the lease for the Edward Jones Dome allows him to do — and that is demand that the football stadium be brought to a top-tier level.

But we are not going to do that. We can't. We shouldn't. We won't.
                We won't? Not live up to the terms of the original agreement? Times are tough, but this would not be a winning strategy for St. Louis IMO. As GC mentioned, the Rams lived up to their part of the deal and moved to St. Louis, bringing in a substantial revenue stream for the city. If St. Louis does what the McClellan suggests, the Rams will most likely move to a new city and get a new state of the art stadium, while St. Louis will be left with a huge hole in the middle of downtown, which is only going to get deeper and darker.

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
                  The fact that you dont agree with the point of the article (and i agree with you that the article itself is crapola) does not mean that the guy has lost his right to freedom of the press, which by its very definition is the right to express whatever views and opinions that he wants, regardless of whether others agree with them. Sure, the Rams can cut off his media access if they want, but it would be a stupid decision in my view. Are the Rams going to cut off media access for people that are not employed by them that write things or say things that are critical of the team? As far as i know, that is basically unprecedented. People the Rams hire should not be publicly critical of the team. That is a different story since the Rams are signing the paychecks. But cutting off the media because they write their views? That is downright unamerican. Freedom of speech is a fundemental core of this country. You dont have to agree with the guy and you dont even have to listen to him or read his views, but that does not mean that he doesnt have the right to express them.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
                  Agree to disagree.

If he was truely a reporter, he should report both sides of the story, and let the readers decide. What he did here was preach, and try to sway people to his vision. This is NOT reporting. Accepting this as reporting, and standing under freedom of the press, is one of the things destroying this once great country. I don't disagree with his freedom of speech, but he shouldn't call his opinion a story. It is only his opinion. Remove his press pass until he starts reporting instead of preaching.

gap

Comment

Originally posted by theodus69 View Post
                    the move is coming!!!!!!!
                    Yep. Do you think Denver can support two teams? Probably better than bancrupt SoCal. He'd have to move there because he already owns other sport franchises in Colorado.

gap

Comment

If he was writing his opinion and his opinion was about what a great job the rams are doing rebuilding the franchise, would you want to revoke his press credentials? You are being influenced by the fact that you disagree with his opinion. I agree its opinion, not fact, but freedom of the press and freedom of speech is not limited in a constitutional sense to reporting of facts. An awful large percentage of what you read in the news, sports or otherwise, has opinion and bias running through it. If your point is that it should be on the editorial page, that is between him and his editors, but i dont think that is a reason to revoke his right to express his opinion. He is not slandering or libeling anyone, he is not risking national security and he is not yelling fire in a crowded movie house and he is hardly inciting a riot. Thus, i dont see any limit on his speech as necessary. The free market should govern this. If people hate his writing, they will complain to the editors, who will presumably fire him for alienating his readership or audience.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Journalism is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
                          Journalism is dead.
                          It's hard to blame them when they need to put food on the table. We just need to be smart to differentiate which is a quality article and which one is poorly written out of someone's arsehole.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫

Comment

Originally posted by gap View Post
                            Probably better than bancrupt SoCal.
                            gap
                            Please don't confuse the misspend of our liberal leaders with the cash on hand in these lovely cities...
                            Beverly Hills, Hollywood Hills, Malibu, Rolling Hills, Palos Verdes Estates, Hidden Hills, Newport Coast, Newport Beach, Calabasas, Irvine...We have cash in So Cal, plenty of it!
                            "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

The Los Angeles Rams. Where have I heard that before?
                              :helmet:

Comment