X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landeta Cut!

Rams | Stemke Signed - from www.KFFL.com
    Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:51:25 -0800

<A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/35">SportsLine.com reports the St. Louis Rams have signed free agent P Kevin Stemke (Redskins). Terms of the deal were undisclosed. Stemke spent the 2002 offseason with the Rams and was in the Washington Redskins' training camp this year.

Rams | Landeta Cut - from www.KFFL.com
    Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:46:05 -0800

<A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/35">SportsLine.com reports the St. Louis Rams have released P Sean Landeta.

Re: Landeta Cut!

This is a major surprise to me. Not that landetta is no longer qualified to punt, but that we would make the move now for a totally unproven guy. I cant believe that landettas performance is a shock to anyone given the fact that he has been kicking since vince lombardi was coaching.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

I wonder if this was more about sending a message than anything else.

Comment

It was a suprise to me. Not that he's been doing great as much as up until last week we hadn't heard any rumblings about that being an issue from Martz. I wonder if Landeta had been warned previously. GC makes a good point about the new punter being unproven. Does anyone know his history and stats? Hope it doesn't come back to bite us. If Landeta could kick it out of bounds or at least tackle he may have had a chance. :redface:

At least we know that special teams is finally getting some attention. Let's hope there are more adjustments to come that will prove effective.
        Last edited by viper; -11-26-2004, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Oh sure...blame the punter.

Comment

Does anyone know which nursing home to send cards and letters to? :redface:
            temp_4394_1467243487543_20
            RAMS!

Comment

Thanks for the This Just In news, avenger.

Perhaps it IS about "sending a message" but in addition, I hope we improve somewhat on punting. Special Teams must improve NOW.

As for the decision, it's one of those 'damn if you do', 'ditto if you don't' moves. Let's just hope Stemke establishes himself as reliable.

I wonder what it's like to be present during the actual cut; what the body language might have been with the parties involved. Sean Landeta probably had already considered the possibilities.

Thank you for your services, Sean (twice with the Rams). I mean it.

Comment

While I concede Landeta has not been punting his best lately...it sounds like a "scapegoat of the week" scenario to me.
                Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Comment

Good point on the message avenger. However, i think that landettas hang time, or lack thereof, has been a significant contributor to the punt coverage issues. I am not blaming all the problems on him, but its a lot easier to replace the punter than to replace the 10 other guys trying to make the tackles.

Think about how many times it seems like the punt returner is catching the ball and running forward before our guys get to him. A good portion of that HAS to be the hang time from the punter. If landetta wasnt a 50 year vet, i think he would have been cut a while ago. He has gotten the benefit of the doubt long, long past the point where there was any real doubt as to the current level of his skills. He did have one great game this year, but his time had come. the real issue at this point is whether the replacement solves any of the problems.

general counsel

Comment

Kevin Stemke, P, St. Louis Rams 2004

Ironically, this youngster was born in GB and the Packers had considered him for their punter!

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/...17609128.shtml
                    Last edited by RealRam; -11-26-2004, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Re: Kevin Stemke, P, St. Louis Rams 2004

Originally posted by RealRam
                      Ironically, this youngster was born in GB and the Packers had considered him as their punter!

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/...rs24042301.asp
                      You barely beat me to this....LOL

I was just getting ready to post this link myself. I wonder if this move was made BECAUSE he is from Wisconsin and wants to show the Packers what they passed over. Very interesting how this will play out.
                      sigpicThis is for Randy! GO BRM!

Comment

BTW, Ms MOM, I had to edit/modify the link (also here in this post).

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/...17609128.shtml

Comment

Hi Mom, are you new or were were you previously apart of Ramsfamily?

I can't say Landeta was the problem as zigzag has pointed out. But, he hasn't really been a strong point of our special teams either.

That may help, but, its our punt and kick coverage that really needs a kick in the arse. What will MM do to get that under control? Something needs to be addressed there big time.

Go Rams!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=viper3]Hi Mom, are you new or were were you previously apart of Ramsfamily?[QUOTE]

Yup, that is the very opinionated little woman...she wanted to make sure her opinions, etc., were known as her own. She is VERY passionate about her football, and wanted to make sure everyone knows it!
                            temp_4394_1467243487543_20
                            RAMS!

Comment

Apparently when this was announced, Martz was quoted as saying "This was a very hard decision. Sean has been like a father to me."

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Clan-Robot
                                [Fox-NFL]- St. Louis Rams Strategy and Personnel
                                by Clan-Robot
                                The Rams signed safety Deandre' Eiland, who spent time on the Dolphins' and *****' practice squads this season.
                                UNIT-BY-UNIT ANALYSIS
                                QUARTERBACKS: Starter - Marc Bulger. Backups - Jamie Martin, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jeff Smoker.
                                Bulger played just eight games because of a shoulder injury yet passed for 2,297 yards with a rating of 94.4. He'll be adjusting to a new coach, but he is developing into an excellent player. The Rams just have to find a way to keep him healthy.

Link To Original Article
                                -02-11-2006, 09:00 PM
                              • AvengerRam_old
                                From KFFL.com
                                by AvengerRam_old
                                Rams | Jackson Expected to Play - from www.KFFL.com
                                Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:08:34 -0800

<A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/34/nfl">St. Louis Rams RB Steven Jackson (knee) had an MRI Monday, Dec. 28, which revealed only a soft tissue bruise to his right knee. He did not suffer any structural damage and is expected to play during Week 17.

Rams | Nutten Dinged - from www.KFFL.com
                                Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:08:16 -0800

<A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/34/nfl">St. Louis Rams OLG Tom Nutten (turf toe) aggravated his turf toe injury during Week 16 and his status for Week 17 remains uncertain.

Jets | Hobson Plays, But Sparingly in Week 16 - from www.KFFL.com
                                Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:52:54 -0800
                                <A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/130">Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Jets LB Victor Hobson (ankle) returned to action in Week 16 and started the game in a 3-4 defensive alignment. However, he did not stick with it too much. Hobson seemed to play sparingly during the game.

Jets | Barrett Fine for Week 17 - from www.KFFL.com
                                Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:52:50 -0800

<A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/130">Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Jets CB David Barrett (ankle) suffered an ankle injury but returned in the Week 17 game. Barrett should be fine and is not on the injury update Monday, Dec. 27.

Jets | Tongue Fine for Week 17 - from www.KFFL.com
                                Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:52:48 -0800

<A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/130">Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Jets S Reggie Tongue (head) took a hard hit during the Week 16 game, but he is fine and not on the injury update for Week 17.

Jets | Abraham Questionable for Week 17 - from www.KFFL.com
                                Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:52:26 -0800

<A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/130">Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Jets DE John Abraham (knee) is questionable for Week 17 with a sprained right knee. The team would like to have him back, possibly in third-down situations. Abraham will try to run this week and see how it works out as the week unfolds.
                                -12-29-2004, 08:56 AM
                              • RamDez
                                TSN Rams Report
                                by RamDez
                                TSN Rams Report
                                By Jim Thomas

PLUS FACTORS: The receiving unit remains one of the league's best. The skills of Isaac Bruce, 31, don't appear to be diminishing, and Torry Holt has reached the elite level. But the real news is the depth that has developed in the form of Dane Looker, Shaun McDonald, Kevin Curtis and Mike Furrey. McDonald, in particular, had a strong preseason. The young linebackers appear poised to break out. MLB Robert Thomas and OLB Pisa Tinoisamoa have superior speed and instincts but must stay healthy and play smarter. OLB Tommy Polley has been in the doghouse much of the preseason but remains an asset in coverage. Not only is Leonard Little a premier pass rusher, he's also among the top all-around ends and can change a game single-handedly. No lineman in the league has better pursuit skills. Even if RB Marshall Faulk has trouble staying healthy, rookie Steven Jackson has showed he can be an exciting replacement.

MINUS SIDE: The offensive line is a mess.

LT Orlando Pace missed all of camp for the second straight year in a contract squabble; C Dave Wohlabaugh (hip) was released after failing a physical; and RT Kyle Turley (back) is out for the season. Grant Williams, Turley's likely replacement, isn't physically gifted but should be solid. Andy McCollum, the starter at left guard last year, will play center. The left guard is Chris Dishman, who was talked out of retirement and needs time to round into shape. The defensive line is thin after the loss RE Grant Wistrom and DT Brian Young as free agents and the loss of reserve DT Jimmy Kennedy (foot) for much of the season. Fullback and tight end were problem areas a year ago, and little has changed. FB Joey Goodspeed and TE Brandon Manumaleuna had good camps but remain unproven. The loss of CB Travis Fisher (arm) for most of the year puts pressure on a young corner (DeJuan Groce or Kevin Garrett) to come through. The team may have to consider moving FS Aeneas Williams to corner.

THOMAS' BOTTOM LINE: At the start of training camp, this team had fewer questions than the 2003 squad that finished 12-4. But injuries at key positions have changed that outlook. Without a healthy, proven line, the team won't score as it did last season. As a result, the Rams are looking at a 9-7 or 10-6 record and will be scrambling to make the playoffs.
                                -09-05-2004, 04:58 AM
                              • psycho9985
                                Notes about the Game today.
                                by psycho9985
                                Inside Slant | Notes and Quotes | Strategy and Personnel
                                Coach Mike Martz is adamant that the club's special teams will improve, despite the numerous problems that occurred in San Francisco in the season opener.

"Oh, I'm very confident. This is going to work fine," he said. "This guy that is coaching the special teams (Bob Ligashesky) is outstanding. He is very superior, and I really, truly mean that. This guy is special. We have some young guys that need to step up that haven't. We trusted them in a vital role and they didn't play well. We will replace them with some veterans if we have to. But that is their role. That is their job. I don't care who is coaching or what team they are on. They have to step up and make plays."
                                Asked about rookies adjusting to regular-season intensity, Martz said, "They get sunburned on the roof of their mouth. Even for guys that have been playing in the league for a long time, when you get out of the preseason and you play that first game, especially a division game, that has a lot of chemistry to it, there is a lot of electricity in the air. It's fast, it's really fast, and they have to get used to it."
                                PLAYER/PERSONNEL NOTES
                                --RT Rex Tucker injured his calf against San Francisco and will be out an undetermined amount of time. Tucker was wearing a boot in practice Wednesday, and could miss a few weeks.
                                --OL Blaine Saipaia is expected to be the starter Sunday at right tackle against Arizona, replacing an injured Rex Tucker. Saipaia started seven games at the position last season (including two playoff games).
                                --G Claude Terrell was inactive for his first NFL game Sunday, but could be in uniform this week because of the injury suffered by OT Rex Tucker.
                                --CB Terry Fair has been running and is getting closer to playing as he recovers from a neck injury.
                                --CB Chris Johnson is expected to remain as the team's kickoff returner, despite averaging only 13.8 yards a return in the opener against the ***** and stepping out of bounds at the 1-yard line on the first play of the game.
                                GAME PLAN: Offensively, the Rams will try to run the ball better than they did against San Francisco and build a lead so they don't have to call 65 pass plays.
                                On defense, after stopping the ***** ground game, the Rams will try to do the same against Arizona, which struggled running in the opener against the Giants
                                MATCHUPS TO WATCH
                                Rams DLE Leonard Little vs. Cardinals RT Oliver Ross - Little had two sacks and a forced fumble against the ***** and is looking to keep those happening after a statistically subpar year in 2004.
                                Rams RT Blaine Saipaia vs. Cardinals DLE Chike Okeafor - Assuming Saipaia gets the start at right tackle, he will have to handle the non-stop motor of Okeafor. That's a matchup the ornery Saipaia should be OK with. However, the Cardinals could flip-flop their ends and have Bertrand Berry play some...
                                -09-18-2005, 10:03 AM
                              • RamDez
                                ClanRam Picks:- Standings after week 10
                                by RamDez
                                Things are really hotting up now and the top ten are all close.

1. Plumb 70.14%
                                2. ramdez 68.06%
                                3. slchicken 67.37%
                                4. sprtsmac 67.37%
                                5. The-Great-Bison 65.98%
                                6. StlouisRams 65.98%
                                7. ramsin99 63.89%
                                8. Dvdb 63.64%
                                9. Shale 63.2%
                                10. drams80 62.5%
                                -11-15-2005, 03:26 PM
                              Working...