Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do the Rams have the best chance at fixing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do the Rams have the best chance at fixing?

A. Defense
    B. Special teams
    C. Scoring enough point to overcome the above pathetic units

Re: What do the Rams have the best chance at fixing?

This year only? I think the offense is going to have to pick up the slack and carry this team.

Comment

Originally posted by RamTime
      A. Defense
      B. Special teams

Maybe the coaching staff sacrificing sleep and working 'round the clock to have their players mentally prepared and physically competent do to the "basics" like hitting, covering, tackling and my favorite GANG tackling as that really wears out your opponent mentally as they tend to start "hearing" footsteps like the receivers for the c-chicks!

Tonite is a huge game but we will still be in the hunt if we lose

GEAUX RAMS!
      Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

Comment

Originally posted by RamTime
        A. Defense
        B. Special teams
        In the short-term, special teams. This shouldn't be dificult...stay in your lanes, light a fire in your gut. It's tackling the return man, not rocket science.

In the long-term, defense. Of course, step one is sending Marmie on his way.
        The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

I would say special teams, for sure. Not that they will fix it, but that they have the best chance of fixing it vs. the defense. Also, I don't see the offense picking up any slack. We've been watching Bulger and these same guys play for almost 2 years now, and it seems that we're good for about 22 per game, and not much more.

At least last years offense benefited from an opportunistic defense.

How can we be so far off on special teams? They're like a high school team out there.

Comment

I know it's not one of the choices, but I really think the easiest thing for this team to fix right now and have it pay immediate dividends is attitude and preparation. If they would just show up with the same emotion and focus every week and cut out the stupid penalties and mental lapses, they would be hard to beat.

This team still has enough talent on offense that if the defense is just adequate we would win more games than we lost. Of course the offense would have to show up consistently too.
            Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• AvengerRam_old
              I'm Disgusted!!!!!
              by AvengerRam_old
              How can you take a 3 point lead with 28 seconds to go and squib the kickoff! Wilkins was booming it all day, and you let the Saints get the ball at the 42!?!??!!

The defense it terrible. Martz's unwillingness to establish a running game is outrageous, but between that bonehead decision and the running into the punter (why put on a rush in that situation?), the special teams gets to bear the brunt of this loss as far as I'm concerned.

I am absolutely disgusted!
              -09-26-2004, 01:43 PM
            • moklerman
              Today's game
              by moklerman
              I think today's game was far too similar to last year's team. Poor rushing defense, sporadic offense, etc. The special teams did look somewhat improved though. Not good, but improved.

One of the biggest concerns of the team is rushing defense and I can't help but think that it's scheme rather than talent at this point. First string, second string and mop-up units were all ineffective against the run as far as I could see. It's just one game, but if this is any kind of indicator of how the Rams D will hold up against a good running team then they will be in trouble.

Improvement during the season will be the goal at this point. 130 yds rushing with two 50+ yard runs from two different rb's in the first half was just abysmal.

I come into this year not being sold on Marmie and his scheme and today didn't change my point of view. Right now, my guess is that the 2005 Rams will be similar to teams of the past and they will have to put up a lot of points to win games.
              -08-21-2005, 04:10 PM
            • Curly Horns
              Just Curious....
              by Curly Horns
              Marmie is taking a ton of heat from Rams fans.

The majority of posts that are critical of Marmie all relate to his scheme, coaching in general and/or motivation.

Let me play along.

Marmie is an absolute idiot. He does not know the first thing about coaching a defense. Of course, there are other defensive minded coaches with the Rams. They must also be idiots as well or afraid or perhaps too stupid to speak up. Kollar is an idiot. Schott is an idiot and Joe Vitt is a major moron.

None of these defensive coaches knows the first thing about defense. They have just managed to survive in the NFL as some type of defensive coach for all these years by shear luck. Now their luck has dried up and their idiocy is finally showing its' true colors.

I'm sure this is the case. I mean what else could it be? This is the only logical explanation. Every single one of these defensive coaches is an idiot and Martz is the biggest idiot of all because he hired each and every one of them.

This basically sums up the general attitude here at the Clan.

Now let me play along again.

Given that the present attitude is indeed true, that would indicate to me that this board has a number of unemployed or aspiring DCs. Otherwise how in the sam hell would they know a damn thing about it?

Granted some of you have not the inkling of a clue or ability to play CB at even the high school level, but you sure seem to have a knack for knowing how that and other positions on defense should be played by the Rams current players. In other words, on one hand you criticize the players in the secondary and on the other you also criticize Marmie for not coaching a properly designed scheme.

But let's stay with the coaches.

Reason being:

I have read this type of statement numerous times from different posters.

"Marmie could not do a damn thing with the most talented defensive players in the NFL"

So, I am curious as to what the Rams fans that post on this board would do with this defense as far as scheme?

Give it to me straight-up and in depth. Don't hold back. I want to know why Marmie is such an idiot. Tell me everything in detail. Give me your best defensive stuff, as if you were applying for the job.

I know it's in you, otherwise how would you know its all Marmie's scheme?

Cmon guys, please do this. The secret is out and its time to reveal all your knowledge. The Rams need your help. And most of all, I want to learn. Please teach me, oh wise and noble ones.

-11-23-2005, 08:16 AM
            • Nick
              So what do YOU do to fix special teams?
              by Nick
              We've seen coaches come and go. Martz has devoted free agent signings and draft picks to players who are known to be effective on special teams. And now, it appears it hasn't improved.

So what do you do? Instead of simply complaining about the situation, let's hear some realistic suggestions on why the Rams' special teams isn't working and how it can be fixed.
              -09-11-2005, 05:21 PM
            • viper
              Blitzing
              by viper
              I'm of the opinion that one simple adjustment on defense would have an immediate impact on our team. One that could and should be implemented this Sunday and perhaps for the rest of the season. I think we need to begin blitzing aggressively! I think that would get our defense fired up again where they need to be. We all know we need to start tackling better, quit the stupid penalties and do something different on special teams. But, those aren't easily corrected. You never know if you have those corrected until you are actually in the game...no matter how much you work on it. But, blitzing aggressively is something you can do NOW that hopefully could have an immediate impact. Any thoughts on that? Anyone...anyone?
              -10-02-2004, 12:12 PM
            Working...
            X