X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r8rh8rmike
    replied
    Re: Michael Brockers having an impact

Brockers is one of those individuals who doesn't know the meaning of the word failure. His life prepared him for success, and he won't let anything stand in his way. He was my can't miss rookie, and nothing has changed that belief.

Leave a comment:

• MauiRam
    replied

Originally posted by Rambos View Post
    In the last two game we gave up only 45 yards on the ground to AZ and shut down the Fins who had only 19 yards on 18 carries.

I would think he is making his Presents felt.
    And guess what? He's just a wet behind the ears rookie right now - he's going to get better - a lot better! He's going to be downright scary for opposing O-lines.

Leave a comment:

• tomahawk247
    replied

He seemed to free up Langford to make some plays too

Leave a comment:

• sosa39rams
    replied

He's a beast. I seen him set the edge and get great penetration on at least 4 running plays.

Leave a comment:

• sjacksonrules
    replied

Originally posted by Rambos View Post
    In the last two game we gave up only 45 yards on the ground to AZ and shut down the Fins who had only 19 yards on 18 carries.

I would think he is making his present felt.
    I thought they left a 0 out of that

Leave a comment:

• live4ramin
    replied

He's released the secondary. We have linebackers again.

Leave a comment:

• Rambos
    started a topic Michael Brockers having an impact

Michael Brockers having an impact

I would think he is making his Presents felt.
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-15-2012, 09:39 AM.

Related Topics

Collapse

• mcpeepants232003
    Michael Brockers
    by mcpeepants232003
    I saw a lot of analysts give the Rams grief for trading down and missing out on Fletcher Cox and Dontari Poe but Brockers has been more effective than both(though Cox has slightly better stats but has played way more).

Jenkins has got most of the hype but Brockers has played a huge part in our success.
    -12-02-2012, 09:41 PM
  • Rambos
    Brockers getting closer
    by Rambos
    by nick wagoner

Coach Jeff Fisher said the Rams made it through the game relatively clean and actually made mention of the Rams getting healthier, namely on the defensive front.

That means that DTs Michael Brockers and Matt Conrath could be back in the mix next week. Brockers, in particular, seems to be on track. He actually went through a pre-game warmup workout with strength coach Rock Gullickson. It looks good for the prized rookie’s return sooner than later.
    -09-24-2012, 01:00 PM
  • r8rh8rmike
    Fear The Beard: Healthy Brockers Ready To Take Next Step
    by r8rh8rmike
    Fear the beard: Healthy Brockers ready to take next step

11 hours ago • By Jim Thomas [email protected] 314-340-8197

Michael Brockers’ beard can best be described as prolific, even biblical.

“It’s coming along very well,” said Brockers, the Rams’ second-year defensive tackle. “At LSU, I just had a little chin (hair) going, but now I think the all-out beard really makes me look dominant. Beard equals sacks. And I think sacks are good for me right now.”

Brockers was joking, but the goal definitely is to take the next step as an NFL defensive tackle, whether it’s sacks, tackles for loss — what have you — and become a force in the middle of the St. Louis front four.

“Mike did a great job coming back off the high ankle (sprain), and really finished up strong toward the second half of the (2012) season,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “He’s worked very hard. He’s changed his body, and we think he can be a dominating player inside.”

A high ankle sprain in the Rams’ 2012 preseason finale against Baltimore sidelined Brockers for the first three games of his rookie season. High ankle sprains can take forever to heal — just ask Sam Bradford — and Brockers felt lingering effects of the injury throughout the season.

Even so, he came on strong over the second half of the year, playing very much like the No. 14 overall pick in the draft. At season’s end, he joined cornerback Janoris Jenkins as the first Rams since 2003 to make the NFL’s all-rookie team. Brockers’ season totals included 63 tackles, four sacks and 17 QB pressures or hits. All in all it made for a good start in the NFL, but Brockers wants more this season.

“I can’t even see the ceiling yet,” Brockers said during practices in June. “I want to keep progressing from here on in, and I just keep doing my thing. The ankle is fine. I have no excuses now and I’m putting a lot of pressure on myself to do great things.”

The high ankle sprain, to Brockers’ right ankle, is long behind him. In addition, Brockers underwent cleanup surgery in February to remove bone chips in his left ankle. He believes that procedure corrected carryover symptoms from an injury at LSU that irritated his foot last season.

“When I’m in my stance, it really pinched on nerves,” Brockers said after a recent training camp practice. “Now that that’s out I can just feel me being more explosive off the ball, getting in the backfield real quick.”

Brockers now has two good wheels and has increased his overall weight and upper-body strength.

“He’s changed his body,” Fisher said. “He’s gained some weight, but it’s good weight. He’s gained a tremendous amount of strength.”

Brockers weighed in at 325 pounds for training camp after playing around 318 to 320 as a rookie. An extra five to seven pounds may not sound like much, but for a finely tuned pro...
    -07-30-2013, 09:47 AM
  • AvengerRam_old
    The Brockers effect?
    by AvengerRam_old
    Its tough to evaluate the progress of a DT based upon individual statistics. Though, as happened yesterday, a DT will occasionally make a big play such as a sack, the primary job of a DT is to take on blockers, hold the line and clog the middle.

So, how is Michael Brockers doing?

In the first three weeks, Brockers was recovering from an ankle injury. During those weeks, the Rams gave up an average of 120 rushing yards per game on 27 carries for an average of 4.5 yards per carry.

In the last four weeks, Brockers has been a starter and the Rams have given up an average of 83 rushing yards per game on 24 carries for an average of 3.5 yards per carry.

If you eliminate his debut, and look at the last three weeks, the improvement of the run defense is even more dramatic. The Rams have given up only 50 yards per game on 20 carries for an average of 2.5 yards per carry in the last three games.

Now, to be fair, this is only a small sampling, and the teams the Rams played in the first three weeks have an average rank in rushing yards/game of 9.7 while the teams the Rams have faced in the last four have an average rank of 17.5.

Still, I think it would be appropriate to assert that Brokers has made a significant positive impact on the run defense. And, given that he's not even 22 years old, I believe he has only scratched the surface of his potential.

It is not at all difficult to see why the Rams were so high on him in the draft. I think he will prove to be well worth the 14th pick.
    -10-22-2012, 08:39 AM
  • MauiRam
    Michael Brockers hopeful for long-term contract ..
    by MauiRam
    By Nick Wagoner

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- As the first draft pick of the Jeff Fisher and Les Snead era in St. Louis, Rams defensive tackle Michael Brockers figured to be a building block in the team's long-term aspirations.

The Rams made Brockers the No. 14 overall pick in the 2012 NFL draft after trading down twice to add more picks. He was the third first-round pick added to a defensive line that has since added two more. But while the rest of those picks have had clearly defined roles in their time with the team, Brockers' job has been more of a moving target.

It has made for a difficult read on where Brockers fits best. He has been asked to gain weight to hold up better against the run and lose weight so he can be a better pass rusher in the span of a year.

But Brockers has at least one fit that he hopes to add to the list for the immediate and long-term future and that's staying a Ram well beyond the next two seasons.

"I am definitely hopeful I can get a long-term deal," Brockers said. "Being here with Fish, I love the team. Everybody wants to stay with one team their whole career. I know it’s a business but at the same time, I love these guys here and I would love to stay here in St. Louis and be with these guys."

The Rams seem to share that opinion after choosing to exercise their fifth-year option to ensure Brockers is with the team at least through the 2016 season. That decision keeps Brockers from becoming a free agent after this year and will cost the Rams $6.146 million against the 2016 salary cap if the two sides don't work out a deal before then.

It would be a surprise if it came to that. Brockers' representatives and the Rams have engaged in some initial conversations about a deal, but nothing appears imminent. That doesn't mean something won't come together, though. Just last year, the Rams had exercised that same option on defensive end Robert Quinn and then signed him to a lucrative contract extension in Week 2, nearly a full year before the option would kick in.

"I’m going to let agents and GMs do what they have to do," Brockers said. "I’m going to try to stay back and get my eye on the field and what I have to do to get better."

Brockers' pursuit of improvement should be buoyed by the fact he finally seems to have a set role heading into 2015. Midway through 2014, the Rams moved Brockers to more of a nose tackle position, asking him to tie up multiple blockers to help free up rookie running mate Aaron Donald.

The move paid off as Donald posted nine sacks and went on to win the Defensive Rookie of the Year. Brockers' numbers took a hit as he dropped to 32 tackles and two sacks after 46 and 5.5 in 2013.

Although his new job doesn't come with much in the way of glamour or statistics, Brockers is embracing it.

"I’m OK...
    -06-14-2015, 02:12 AM
Working...
X