The guy I want for the Rams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The guy I want for the Rams

The one guy I really want to see join the Rams...

Rex Ryan.

He is the son of Buddy and the current DL coach for the Ravens. He's been a defensive assistant there since 1999, during which span the Ravens have had one of the best defenses in the league. Prior to that, he was the defensive coordinator at Oklahoma.

I think he's a guy who has D coordinator written all over him and obviously would bring a more aggressive defensive philosophy than the current staff utilizes.

That's the kind of guy we need.

Re: The guy I want for the Rams

Hmmm, DC at Oklahoma, defensive staff of the Ravens, received half of his genetic code from Buddy Ryan...sounds good to me, sign him up as of yesterday.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Good idea Av, but will Martz allow any coordinator with a strong personality to co-exist with him on this team?? I truly believe that what we need is a strong defensive presence and someone that can motivate. Ryan might be that guy, but if he is as bull headed as his Dad, then Martz won't hire him. He seems to pick these tame guys with lesser personalities than his own.

Comment

One guy I can't believe the RAMS never looked at is Jerry Gray, the DC of the Bills and former Ram DB.
        He's got the Bills D playing aggresively.
        JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS
        :ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram:

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
        Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Comment

Interesting choice.....sounds good.

Would Martz be interested? Would the FO be interested? It seemed very easy for Martz to hire his buddy. I wonder how easy it will be to fire him?

:ramlogo:
          Curly ~ Horns

Comment

Its clear that the problem is deep routed i.e. a combination of personnel, motivation and coaching staff..

There is no use bringing in the coaching staff when the personnel are already in place (why Marmie is getting slack)... so we should bring in the coaching staff asap and start preparing our 2005 plans for personnel NOW.

Let the merry go round start

Comment

Give me back my Rams?

AV these are your Rams; you got your QB, who is avg. at best. He will look better next year when he plays a softer schedule. Not Marc, Warner or Montana could win with no running game, and you canít have a running game without calling running plays. Now you want Jackson, he look good until he fumbles, thatís the only knock on him. I am calling for a solid O-line before I say Marshal is done. We look bad in so many places from coaching to personnel, itís going to be awhile, thatís why I told you last year enjoy the run itís going to be awhile. Go Rams!!!

Comment

Re: Give me back my Rams?

Originally posted by Rambos
                AV these are your Rams; you got your QB, who is avg. at best.
                Someone needs to look up the definition of the word "average." Bulger is first in the NFL in passing yards and 5th in the NFC in passer rating. That's well above average (plus, he is young and still improving).

Not Marc, Warner or Montana could win with no running game, and you canít have a running game without calling running plays.
                No disagreement there.

Now you want Jackson, he look good until he fumbles, thatís the only knock on him.
                He has two fumbles this year, including the one that was nullified by Martz's timeout on Monday. I don't know that I would put the fumbler label on him because of that.

I am calling for a solid O-line before I say Marshal is done.
                I'm not saying Marshall is done, but he may not be the best option to run the ball. Also, you have to start asking if his contract value is starting to exceed his on-the-field value. Right now, I'd say its approaching that point.

We look bad in so many places from coaching to personnel, itís going to be awhile, thatís why I told you last year enjoy the run itís going to be awhile. Go Rams!!!
                I totally disagree with this. In fact, I think 2005 will be a big year for the Rams. They will return loaded with established talent at the skill positions, now that McDonald, Curtis and Jackson have gotten their feet wet, and they will have the ability to fill some holes with 6 picks in the first four rounds of the draft (including an anticipated compensatory 4th round pick for Wistrom), and - hopefully - some cap room after signing the Postonless Pace.

Compare that to the Seahawks, who have to deal with four big name free agents (Hasselbeck, Alexander, Lucas, Jones).

Comment

Last year it was all about wins and losses 5-6 looks average to me. Big number when you are losing games means little in the win column thatís just me I guess.

We will have more wins next year due to schedule alone.

Very good point on Marshal, just donít know why it was so cut an dry with Warner and with Marshal seems to be a tougher to move him out.

ďThey will return loaded with established talent at the skill positionsĒ I think we have to watch out for this, this is a team game, special teams need players, depth at LB and CB ect. Iím getting tried of seeing 10 WR in camp every year when we have the WR set. Lets start looking at some depth at other not so clamorous position instead of bring guys off the high school coaching staff when someone goes down.

We have a lot of draft picks, for sure but Iím not so sure of the scouting. Kennedy, Lewis, Polley and project like turning QB into WR and drafting faster smaller running backs like Trung. And with the new D coordinator are we still going smaller faster or do we need bigger stronger. The draft is not going to fix this D in one year thatís for sure.
                  Last edited by Rambos; -12-01-2004, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• AvengerRam_old
                    Well... you can't say I'm not consistent
                    by AvengerRam_old
                    I have stated recently that my choice for HC is the Rex Ryan.

Here's the first post I ever made about Rex - back in 2004!

This concludes our "Shameless Self-Promotion" moment of the day! ...
                    -01-08-2009, 11:58 AM
                  • Nick
                    Ravens' D-coordinator wants head coaching job
                    by Nick
                    Broncos report: Ravens' D-coordinator wants head coaching job
                    By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News (Contact), Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
                    Published January 4, 2009 at 8:15 p.m.
                    Updated January 4, 2009 at 8:15 p.m.

After seeing his unit dismantle the Miami Dolphins offense Sunday, Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan had a message for the Broncos and every other team in the market for a head coach:

Defense wins, and he knows how to coach it.

"The numbers say I've done a decent job," Ryan said. "If a team wants to stop somebody, all you have to do is look at my track record. If we don't get them stopped in the first year, it will probably be the first time we don't get them stopped in my career, going back through college, whatever. ... I'll get my time, and whoever gets me will get a guy who is a real football coach and not a pretender."

The Broncos don't have Ryan among the first five candidates they will interview for their head coaching job, but Ryan said Sunday he wants to be a head coach and believes he will be one when the 2009 season begins.

The Broncos interviewed Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo on Saturday night in New York and Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels on Sunday in Providence, R.I., even as Ryan's defense intercepted Miami quarterback Chad Pennington four times and forced five turnovers overall.

Ryan and Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier are expected to be in the next wave of interviews if the Broncos don't believe they have found their man among their first five meetings.

Veteran Ravens cornerback Samari Rolle said Denver or any team would get "a guy who is ready to do it right now."

"But you know, he's a better person than a coach," Rolle said of Ryan. "He cares about you and he keeps us under control. Defense, we're his guys. I mean, look at this locker room. There are some strong personalities on this defense to deal with, real strong personalities.

"But Rex handles it. He's got a strong personality, too. Nobody disrespects Rex, nobody. We all play for him. I used to wonder when I was in Tennessee how the Ravens did it year after year. Now I know. You come in, guys understand. Guys like Rex keep the tradition. He's overdue, he's earned a chance."

Ryan is expected to get interest from the Lions and Rams as soon as he is available for an interview. He cannot interview until the week after the conference championship games if the Ravens advance to the Super Bowl, or after the Ravens are knocked out of the playoffs.

He interviewed for the head coaching jobs in Atlanta, Miami and Baltimore last year. When John Harbaugh was hired as Ravens head coach, he retained Ryan, and the Ravens again were among the league's defensive leaders....
                    -01-04-2009, 09:07 PM
                  • AvengerRam_old
                    I'm officially on the Jerry Gray bandwagon.
                    by AvengerRam_old
                    While I'm not sure I buy the recent reports that suggest that the Rams have already started the decisionmaking process with respect to next year's head coach, I will say this...

I like the idea of Jerry Gray.

Here are my reasons:

1. Its clear that Mike Martz won't be back. Fair or not, the rift between Martz and the front office clearly is not good for the team, and Martz needs to move on at this point. I doubt he has a choice in the matter.

2. Gray is a former Ram who has a great history with the team.

3. Gray is a defensive minded coach - which I think is essential.

4. Gray is young enough to relate to today's players.

5. Gray is enough of a "hot commodity" that, if the Rams sign him, they'll have to give him some real power. He won't be a FO puppet (as I fear a guy like Vitt would be).

So, I'm avoiding the Christmas rush and joining the Graywagon right now!
                    -11-18-2005, 12:02 PM
                  • Tony Soprano
                    Rex Ryan moving on up
                    by Tony Soprano
                    Rex Ryan (Ravens) ... This guy can't do much more as a DEF COORD.

I see his stock rising .. or it should, Ryan's D held the team with the Best record in the League to 10 points!'

He's been fielding good defenses for a long time.

This guy has seen everything from Offenses around the League.

He reminds me somewhat of Madden. I think if he was a little younger and significantly lighter - he would've been a Head Coach years ago.

-01-10-2009, 09:16 PM
                  • r8rh8rmike
                    Former Coaches Offer Insight On Coty Sensabaugh, Quinton Coples
                    by r8rh8rmike
                    Former coaches offer insight on Coty Sensabaugh, Quinton Coples

Defensive back Coty Sensabaugh will bring versatility to the Rams, according to Titans coach Mike Mularkey. AP Photo/James Kenney :51 AM ET

Nick WagonerESPN Staff Writer

BOCA RATON, Fla. -- The Los Angeles Rams have signed just two outside free agents since the new league year began on March 9. Cornerback Coty Sensabaugh and defensive end Quinton Coples came over in the second wave of free agency after the wild initial surge.

After spending their first four NFL seasons in the AFC, Coples and Sensabaugh aren't exactly familiar for Rams fans. So with the AFC coaches all gathered in one place Tuesday morning for media availability, it seemed like a good time to check in with them on what, exactly, the Rams are getting with their newest additions.

The reviews were a bit mixed.

Tennessee Titans coach Mike Mularkey noted Sensabaugh's overall knowledge of the game as a benefit for the Rams.

"Coty is smart, very smart, diligent, he knows a lot of things that are going to happen before they happen," Mularkey said. "He studies film much more than a lot of guys I have been around at that position. He can play inside in the nickel if needed, he's a good blitzer, good cover guy and a really good person in the locker room."

Sensabaugh figures to compete with E.J. Gaines for a starting job on the outside, and could factor into the mix in the nickel, where the Rams also have Lamarcus Joyner. But Mularkey said Sensabaugh is at his best in the slot.

"I think he's probably more productive inside, yeah, I would say that," Mularkey said. "But he can play outside, which is good to have a guy that versatile."

As for Coples, Buffalo Bills coach Rex Ryan is a little more unsure of where Coples is in his development. Ryan was the head coach of the New York Jets when they drafted Coples in the first round in 2012.

Coples never reached his potential or played up to that draft status for Ryan, but the Bills did have interest in Coples when the Jets released him last season.

"I have no idea," Ryan said. "We'll see. I think at one point I really thought the kid was going to take off. He had to battle through some injuries. I'm not sure, I haven't really looked at Quinton. We knew we couldn't afford him."

Ryan cited Coples' injury history as a determining factor in whether he will be able to help the Rams. Coples has dealt with elbow, shoulder and ankle ailments in his time in the league.

Ryan pointed to Coples' versatility as a reason he could be OK in the Rams' 4-3 scheme.

"He played a lot of that for us," Ryan said. "He played outside, played defensive end, did a lot of different things when we had him with the Jets. Hopefully he is...
                    -03-22-2016, 10:14 AM
                  Working...
                  X